Jump to topic:

How do you react to being insulted?

SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 8:38:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
How do you respond to being insulted in public, e.g., when in a park, in a public establishment such as an eatery, at your job, walking down the street, driving your vehicle, etc?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
AFism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 8:52:29 PM
At 2/12/2015 8:38:25 PM, SamStevens wrote:
How do you respond to being insulted in public, e.g., when in a park, in a public establishment such as an eatery, at your job, walking down the street, driving your vehicle, etc?

Oh man I get insults all the time. Whether its a cat call, a random crazy, or co workers and peers oh man it just gets crazy. If its some one i dont know while im in a public space i keep walking and ignore them and let them talk. If im at a restaurant and I get insulted by other customers I let them talk and ignore them and continue to enjoy my meal. If it gets to the point where they get loud, ignorant and belligerent i seek assistance from the manager to have them mange its customers, of course I don't eat in places where this will easily happen. At my job when i people talk about me to my face I just smile, laugh and thank them for their opinion. If i overhear people talking about me I withdraw contact with that person. I usually try to diffuse situations because I would hate to hurt people but if i am aggressed upon I will defend myself. So over all I usually take insults as compliments or use them to show people how stupid they sound and embarrass them. For instance if a person mumbles under their breath and calls me a name in the work place I will tell them using my inside voice that "I'm glad you found it appropriate to call me a "insert whatever here" and proceed to report to my supervisor .etc
SirCrona
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 10:27:46 AM

I insult them better.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 11:46:16 AM
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those, who trespass against us.

For the enlightened perspective, one must first realize that being insulted or trespassed against is only in our heads. We have a completely illogical and emotional impetus called pride, which is a natural vice for any intelligent creature. Pride gives us an artificial sense of centrality; primacy; importance. When we thought the Sun revolved around the Earth, it wasn't because of "religion" or "ignorance," it was because we naturally tend to think we are more important than we actually are. When somebody insults us, there is no actual damage to ourselves, there is only a challenge to our notion of superiority over others.

Those who are easily insulted, easily angered, those who have lots of pet peeves, are irritable, who push others away and are intolerant... these are people who are damaged. They aren't able to handle insults because their pride is too easily hurt, like an open wound that never heals. They proclaim to be the strongest of us all, because they will defend themselves and fight back, but this but a projection... similar to the man behind the red curtain pretending to be something he is not. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! they scream at you. Usually, the tougher a person proclaims to be, the weaker they usually are.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 3:42:26 AM
At 2/13/2015 10:27:46 AM, SirCrona wrote:

I insult them better.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 2:25:24 PM

It depends, if it is a guy my age, I probably answer in a bad way. If it is an old person, I will probably laugh while thinking how crazy are oldies these days.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 3:02:58 PM
At 2/14/2015 2:25:24 PM, Otokage wrote:

Otokage : It depends, if it is a guy my age, I probably answer in a bad way. If it is an old person, I will probably laugh while thinking how crazy are oldies these days.

The Fool: Peer group does have a lot to do with it. I am more insulted, by those who I consider to be my peers...
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 3:04:26 PM
At 2/14/2015 3:02:58 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

Otokage : It depends, if it is a guy my age, I probably answer in a bad way. If it is an old person, I will probably laugh while thinking how crazy are oldies these days.

The Fool: Peer group does have a lot to do with it. I am more insulted, by those who I consider to be my peers...

Yeah, I agree. Why do you think is that?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 3:07:26 PM
At 2/14/2015 3:04:26 PM, Otokage wrote:

The Fool: Because to insult you is in a way saying you're not worthy of their peer group.. That you are somehow beneath them.

Somebody in a lower intellectual peer group, let's say, a child or a homeless person's insult can be brushed off a simply being a of naivety and or ignorance.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 3:24:24 PM
*The Fool: [An insult from] somebody in a lower intellectual peer group, let's say, a child or a homeless person can be brushed off [as] simply being a matter of naivety and/or ignorance.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 3:31:33 PM

Depends how I feel.
If I'm at peace, I laugh and walk away.
If I'm already angry, I ask them how much they like living and order them away.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 3:33:23 PM
At 2/14/2015 3:31:33 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Depends how I feel.

Are you threatening them? Isn't that against the law?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 3:37:06 PM
At 2/14/2015 3:33:23 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 2/14/2015 3:31:33 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Depends how I feel.

Are you threatening them? Isn't that against the law?
Freedom of speech does not protect you from the reprecautions of what you say.
While I'm wearing the CPD logo, I'm more proffessional.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 6:41:52 PM

I know you are, but what am I?? There is no come back from that.
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 6:58:34 PM

It depends. A lot of my rapport with a lot of my friends and coworkers involve tongue-in-cheek insults in both directions. If someone insults me intentionally and earnestly I usually just dismiss it. I mean, there's a certain icy hauteur that can get rid of such people very quickly. If they insult me ineptly I'll also sometimes hit them back,. but it's always wit and wordplay. I can cut to the quick if I want to, especially with people whom I know quite well, but I haven't done it in years. I feel genuinely horrible after actually hurting someone like that.

I have really, really bad road rage. Especially with people who drive slow in the fast lane, or just slow in general, and with people who don't use their turn signals. I try to avoid actual communication with other drivers while I'm behind the wheel at all costs, because I don't have the physical prowess to back up my assessment of their driving ability. So I just fume, mostly.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 7:17:25 PM
Good answers.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 2:57:29 AM
At 2/14/2015 3:07:26 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 2/14/2015 3:04:26 PM, Otokage wrote:

The Fool: Because to insult you is in a way saying you're not worthy of their peer group.. That you are somehow beneath them.

Somebody in a lower intellectual peer group, let's say, a child or a homeless person's insult can be brushed off a simply being a of naivety and or ignorance.

That's interesting. Never thought about it actualy, but I believe you are right.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 9:00:52 PM
I would respond with a smile, or a shrug, or an apology if they were right about what they said about me. 'Want of forbearance in small matters confounds great plans.' (Analects 15.26)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...