Jump to topic:

The Fool on organ and tissue donation

The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 3:16:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The Fool: I am today for the first time registering to have my organs and tissue donated, should I be killed.. It's something I have struggled with for a while because it feels so counterintuitive emotionally, but moral reasoning within me says that I am obliged to do so.

I guess one problem stems from coming from having to accept that your one day going to die. I think that is tougher the younger you are, it is probably why I haven't done it before, nor did I have the philosophical apparatus which can compete with the counter survival intuition on a fair playing field.

There are two options of donation:
1. Transplant only
2. Transplanted organ and tissue research

Transplant Only
The transplant only option is the easier option, to me, as I hate the idea of having my body taken completely apart. But then I think, if a male and a female, are equally in need of another's organs, the disposable male can kiss his self goodbye.. But is that enough of a reason to not donate? But then again I could save up to 7 lives, and enhance 75 others and does it really matter who lives are saved? Either way, I can no longer live with the dissonance of being ready to accept somebody else's organs should I need it, and not have mine optional as well.

Transplanted Organ and tissue Research
Hmm having my body completely dissected and in labs all across North America.. But I mean, we wouldn't have the health technology that we have now, and at least this tissue will be useful for something, other than worms.

Conclusion
Either way it made my decision that I will donate major organs, as it is merely irrational intuition which hold me back, from what reason says is the right thing to do.

Are you an organ donor? With one or two options available? How do you justify not doing it?

Against The Sophist
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 5:42:16 PM
I read your post just to see if you'd find some way to attack women with it and, low and behold...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 6:23:24 PM
At 2/15/2015 3:16:58 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
But then I think, if a male and a female, are equally in need of another's organs, the disposable male can kiss his self goodbye..

Almost twice as many men as women are organ recipients, But don't let facts get in the way of your prejudice. I'm sure men are still victims in some other way.

http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov...
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 6:28:40 PM
I'm not a donor because if I get into a hospital in critical condition, I dont want the doctors to have any positive incentive for letting me die "accidentally"

If I hit 55 or so, I'll start checking the box. Not that they'll be useful at that point anyway, probably
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 7:09:11 PM
At 2/15/2015 5:42:16 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
R0b1Billion : I read your post just to see if you'd find some way to attack women with it and, low and behold...

The Fool: I am sorry where do I attack woman?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 7:21:36 PM
But then I think, if a male and a female, are equally in need of another's organs, the disposable male can kiss his self goodbye..

The Fool: if a male and a female, are EQUALLYin need of another's organs.

As in if they have to choose between a man and or a female society says SAVE THE WOMAN. Just like USA is more likely to consider bargaining with TERRORIST if a WOMAN is held hostage but pay soldier the same. That not equality. It's misandry.

Garbanza: Almost twice as many men as women are organ recipients,

The Fool: RATIO, of NEED, AND DONATIONS"?????

Garbanza: But don't let facts get in the way of your prejudice. .

The_Fool: Give an example of how I am unjustly prejudice while I have the facts at the same time. ????? PLEASE. If not Stop LYING>

Garbanza:I'm sure men are still victims in some other way

The_Fool: Feminsm is 1000 times the size of MRA's. You can handle it.

Against The Crazy

It's not the Oppression Olympics.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 7:24:55 PM
At 2/15/2015 7:19:06 PM, YYW wrote:
YYW : I am an organ doner.

The Fool: Cheers
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 5:14:54 AM
At 2/15/2015 7:21:36 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

Look it up yourself.

Garbanza:I'm sure men are still victims in some other way

The_Fool: Feminsm is 1000 times the size of MRA's.

Aww. Are you cute? You're not, are you. Otherwise I'd give you a little virtual pat.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 9:49:09 AM
At 2/16/2015 5:14:54 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 2/15/2015 7:21:36 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

Garbanza : Look it up yourself.

The Fool: Your link didn't go where I think you thought it went. Nor would be relevant without the (ratio vs sex vs donation vs need)... You don't seem to be able to read very well.

"But is that enough of a reason to not donate? But then again I could save up to 7 lives, and enhance 75 others and does it really matter who lives are saved?"

Or you are lying. What else is new.

Garbanza: I'm sure men are still victims in some other way

The_Fool: Feminsm is 1000 times the size of MRA's.

Garbanza : Aww. Are you cute? You're not, are you.

The Fool: Lol ?!? Is this a question? Do you mean good-looking?

You show me yours and I'll show you mine. Fair?
<(8D)

Garbanza : Otherwise I'd give you a little virtual pat.

The_Fool: We can all use a pat every once in a while. I'd virtually pat you, but you would probably try to falsely accuse me of rape.
<(XD)

Against The Crazy

Either way, it's not like you actually have emotions..
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 9:52:56 AM
@ Garbanza

The Fool: This post is supposed to be about organ donation, and how important and needed it is in the world. And you are trying to insert your-self concerns about yourself..

Are you donor? Nevermind, it's not like you're going to tell the truth.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 10:45:34 AM
I will be an organ donator.
Should I ever be in a serious accident and be disfigured or in a coma I'd wish to die anyway. So someone being given a chance in my place is amazing.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 10:48:28 AM
However, my family will keep my body beyond that. I wish to be placed in my family tomb with my sword and future family.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 2:55:37 PM
Not an organ donor if only for semi-religious superstition. Screw rationality. D:<
Senpai has noticed you.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 3:40:48 PM
Beginner Morality
Beginner : Not an organ donor if only for semi-religious superstition. Screw rationality. D:<

The Fool: Can you elaborate a little on that? Sarcasm doesn't work if you are not clear what on what you really mean first.

POC Reconstruction
Pseudo-Beginner : If [it's] only for semi-religious superstition, [then it's] not [really] an organ donation...[In other words, if has nothing to do with rationality, you're not really donating your organs for good cause.]

The Fool: Still doesn't make any sense
<(8D)

The Reduction
Pseudo-beginner: if the decision to be an organ donor is not rational, you're not really an organ donor

The Fool: It's pretty rational to be an organ donor. Let's say, they changed the rule to: "you can only get an organ, if you signed up to be an organ donor, should you need one.. " Or at least, you should be first in line to receive an organ, if you are an organ donor, rather than one who does not"' Perhaps you would think this more rational? But is it not up to the Good and the Just, by virtue of being Good and Just to in a sense pick up the slack of the unjust, even though we might not receive it in return? For it is leading by example which encourages others to engage in similar behavior, which in the end is a beneficial for society as a whole.. No?

Against The Ideologist

It in the end either way, is not something better about being part of the Good and Just in itself.
<(89)
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 3:49:34 PM
*It in the end, either way, is [there] not something better about being part of the Good and Just in itself.
<(89)
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 3:56:51 PM
At 2/16/2015 3:40:48 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
Beginner Morality
Beginner : Not an organ donor if only for semi-religious superstition. Screw rationality. D:<
I'm not an organ donor because I have irrational semi-religious superstitions. Rationally, i should register, but screw that.
Senpai has noticed you.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 8:46:57 PM
At 2/16/2015 3:56:51 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 2/16/2015 3:40:48 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
Beginner Morality
I'm not an organ donor because I have irrational semi-religious superstitions. Rationally, i should register, but screw that.

The Fool: Well it was certainly worst than my writing. For once.
<(89)
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:26:05 PM
The Fool: I am today for the first time registering to have my organs and tissue donated, should I be killed.. It's something I have struggled with for a while because it feels so counterintuitive emotionally, but moral reasoning within me says that I am obliged to do so.

I guess one problem stems from coming from having to accept that your one day going to die. I think that is tougher the younger you are, it is probably why I haven't done it before, nor did I have the philosophical apparatus which can compete with the counter survival intuition on a fair playing field.

There are two options of donation:
1. Transplant only
2. Transplanted organ and tissue research

Transplant Only
The transplant only option is the easier option, to me, as I hate the idea of having my body taken completely apart. But then I think, if a male and a female, are equally in need of another's organs, the disposable male can kiss his self goodbye.. But is that enough of a reason to not donate? But then again I could save up to 7 lives, and enhance 75 others and does it really matter who lives are saved? Either way, I can no longer live with the dissonance of being ready to accept somebody else's organs should I need it, and not have mine optional as well.

Transplanted Organ and tissue Research
Hmm having my body completely dissected and in labs all across North America.. But I mean, we wouldn't have the health technology that we have now, and at least this tissue will be useful for something, other than worms.

Conclusion
Either way it made my decision that I will donate major organs, as it is merely irrational intuition which hold me back, from what reason says is the right thing to do.

Are you an organ donor? With one or two options available? How do you justify not doing it?

Against The Sophist

Donor. Whatever is needed, take it, burn the rest and give it to my family. I'm dead, what do I care.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 11:20:07 AM

FaustianJustice : Donor. Whatever is needed, take it, burn the rest and give it to my family. I'm dead, what do I care.

The Fool: Well that is most honorable. But a common psychosocial problem for most is the disbelief that they will actually die. Even though we except it in principle, most don't in spirit.