Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Why are the "popular kids" popular?

Atheism_Debater
Posts: 42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 5:03:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At every school there was the group of kids called "the popular kids." These kids always fit in, envied. What made the popular kids popular? Was it looks, was it fashion, what was it that made this group of kids get the label, the "popular ones?"
Rubikx
Posts: 226
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 6:00:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 5:03:42 PM, Atheism_Debater wrote:
At every school there was the group of kids called "the popular kids." These kids always fit in, envied. What made the popular kids popular? Was it looks, was it fashion, what was it that made this group of kids get the label, the "popular ones?"

People are popular because they do things people want. They make them laugh, feel accepted, do drugs with them, party, socialize, etc. People are popular because they are good at manipulating people to accept them (whether its they're consciously doing it or not). Some people are just naturally good at making other people accept them.
Atheism_Debater
Posts: 42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 8:11:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 6:00:50 PM, Rubikx wrote:
At 2/16/2015 5:03:42 PM, Atheism_Debater wrote:
At every school there was the group of kids called "the popular kids." These kids always fit in, envied. What made the popular kids popular? Was it looks, was it fashion, what was it that made this group of kids get the label, the "popular ones?"

People are popular because they do things people want. They make them laugh, feel accepted, do drugs with them, party, socialize, etc. People are popular because they are good at manipulating people to accept them (whether its they're consciously doing it or not). Some people are just naturally good at making other people accept them.

See I think the reason is jealousy, envy. Usually all of the popular group of kids all hang out together, most are all friends. What makes this group different from the nerd group. You want to be in that group, why? Jealous of their looks, hair, personality, friends, prestige, etc. By becoming friends with them you think you will gain that, become a part of that.. It is all jealousy.
SirCrona
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 10:14:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 5:03:42 PM, Atheism_Debater wrote:
At every school there was the group of kids called "the popular kids." These kids always fit in, envied. What made the popular kids popular? Was it looks, was it fashion, what was it that made this group of kids get the label, the "popular ones?"

Several reasons. Identifiable fashion, conformity to general standards, likeability... there's no one cause. It depends on the case.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 10:18:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 5:03:42 PM, Atheism_Debater wrote:
At every school there was the group of kids called "the popular kids." These kids always fit in, envied. What made the popular kids popular? Was it looks, was it fashion, what was it that made this group of kids get the label, the "popular ones?"

The popular kids are usually social butterflies and are willing to conform to others even if it means betraying themselves, thus they are generally well liked albeit shallow people. Most are usually athletic. Athletic people tend to more rapidly get involved in the social atmosphere, and considering that athleticism is so highly valued in the high school environment they also get a popularity boost from that.
Nolite Timere
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 12:45:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 5:03:42 PM, Atheism_Debater wrote:
At every school there was the group of kids called "the popular kids." These kids always fit in, envied. What made the popular kids popular? Was it looks, was it fashion, what was it that made this group of kids get the label, the "popular ones?"

Confidence. People respect it and people respond to it. I don't think fashion or money matter at all.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 1:18:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/17/2015 12:45:30 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 5:03:42 PM, Atheism_Debater wrote:
At every school there was the group of kids called "the popular kids." These kids always fit in, envied. What made the popular kids popular? Was it looks, was it fashion, what was it that made this group of kids get the label, the "popular ones?"

Confidence. People respect it and people respond to it. I don't think fashion or money matter at all.

haha so funny you say "confident."

I suppose that "popular" kids vary from school to school and from decade to decade.

@OP
But I was coming here to say that popular kids exist because there will always be a group insecure enough to *try* to be as socially acceptable as possible. But that may have just been back in my high school.

In reality, probably kids become popular for all sorts of reasons. Perhaps one becomes popular for being very funny and/or outspoken. Maybe they become popular for being super nice and attractive. Perhaps they're rich and always have the nicest clothes and hairstyles and that is eye-catching.

Or perhaps, like Df says, they were confident. That is not only attractive to people, but also intimidating- especially to frequently insecure teenagers who may gawk in awe at this kind of rare self-assuredness.

In my personal opinion though, that confidence is probably a veneer in many cases. It takes a lot of effort to buy the perfect clothes and groom the perfect personality that appeals to people on any kind of mass scale- and that effort doesn't always come from a place of confidence but often of insecurity and deep desire to be accepted.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 1:24:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 8:11:21 PM, Atheism_Debater wrote:
At 2/16/2015 6:00:50 PM, Rubikx wrote:
At 2/16/2015 5:03:42 PM, Atheism_Debater wrote:
At every school there was the group of kids called "the popular kids." These kids always fit in, envied. What made the popular kids popular? Was it looks, was it fashion, what was it that made this group of kids get the label, the "popular ones?"

People are popular because they do things people want. They make them laugh, feel accepted, do drugs with them, party, socialize, etc. People are popular because they are good at manipulating people to accept them (whether its they're consciously doing it or not). Some people are just naturally good at making other people accept them.

See I think the reason is jealousy, envy. Usually all of the popular group of kids all hang out together, most are all friends. What makes this group different from the nerd group. You want to be in that group, why? Jealous of their looks, hair, personality, friends, prestige, etc. By becoming friends with them you think you will gain that, become a part of that.. It is all jealousy.

I have to agree with this.

I remember caring about popularity in 7th grade and being jealous. In 8th grade I went to basketball try-outs and all the "popular" girls then invited me to sit with them, talk with them, etc. That was my "in"- I could have been one of them at that point. But the thing is, when I stood with them and talked- they were honestly just really f*cking boring. Don't do anything remotely controversial, don't reveal an original thought, don't take any risks- appeal to everyone. ta-da!

I'm glad that this happened to me because from that moment on I realized what a joke popularity was. Who were these people? Why did I care what they think? They weren't even all that great. At that point, I could just be myself and live my life without being bothered by that silliness.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 1:44:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 1:47:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/17/2015 1:44:30 PM, thett3 wrote:


http://replygif.net...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 4:49:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What makes a student popular is largely dependent on the values of the student body at large. In magnet schools, the highest academic achievers are often viewed as popular, whereas in sports-centered schools, the athletes will likely be the in-crowd. These dynamics can change with each incoming class or with dramatic shifts to school culture, and these shifts can happen rapidly.

What is more interesting, though, is what happens when these different spheres go to college. That's when we see different subcultures forming within the school, with different circles considering different attributes as cool or admirable. This then naturally transitions to the divided culture we find outside of school, with various groups, each with their own social hierarchies, all vying for attention.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Atheism_Debater
Posts: 42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 4:57:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

I have to agree with this.

I remember caring about popularity in 7th grade and being jealous. In 8th grade I went to basketball try-outs and all the "popular" girls then invited me to sit with them, talk with them, etc. That was my "in"- I could have been one of them at that point. But the thing is, when I stood with them and talked- they were honestly just really f*cking boring. Don't do anything remotely controversial, don't reveal an original thought, don't take any risks- appeal to everyone. ta-da!

I'm glad that this happened to me because from that moment on I realized what a joke popularity was. Who were these people? Why did I care what they think? They weren't even all that great. At that point, I could just be myself and live my life without being bothered by that silliness.

this is the same with me. the group of nerdy kids talking about star trek and computers all day might have a kid or two that are way more interesting and fun to be around than the popular kids. the popular kids are this way because they are friends with kids that are popular.

My sole objective last year was to become popular. I started ignoring all my "uncool" friends, started buying all the "cool" clothes and started to try to get in. what I did is locate one person that is a popular one, become friends with that person, since that person is friends with all the other popular kids, they introduce you, and whalla! Everyone sees you hanging out with popular kids, the other popular kids see that you are popular and you are a popular kid. very quickly I realized who these people really are. They are shallow and willing to abandon anything to remain popular and lose their true identity to this jealousy drug. I quickly realized this and try to remain away as possible from these kinds of people.
YYW
Posts: 36,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:36:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 5:03:42 PM, Atheism_Debater wrote:
At every school there was the group of kids called "the popular kids." These kids always fit in, envied. What made the popular kids popular? Was it looks, was it fashion, what was it that made this group of kids get the label, the "popular ones?"

There are two books that really answer that question, if you're interested:

Queen Bees and Wannabes
Masterminds and Wingmen

Both are pretty good, very accessible. They're written for parents, but I think you'd find the answers you're looking for there. Should be available at your local library.
Tsar of DDO
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 10:45:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/17/2015 1:18:12 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/17/2015 12:45:30 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 5:03:42 PM, Atheism_Debater wrote:
At every school there was the group of kids called "the popular kids." These kids always fit in, envied. What made the popular kids popular? Was it looks, was it fashion, what was it that made this group of kids get the label, the "popular ones?"

Confidence. People respect it and people respond to it. I don't think fashion or money matter at all.

haha so funny you say "confident."

I suppose that "popular" kids vary from school to school and from decade to decade.

Well it is true. Of course there are always exceptions but the most popular kids are always going to be confident in something. Whether it's the way they look, how funny they are or how good they are at sports. Now that I think about it, even if you were confident you were the best Basketball player and actually were not, you probably wouldn't be very popular. So maybe confidence plus talent or looks or whatever.
ExploreTheMind
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 5:23:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Generally I think it's because they're more sociable, attractive, and cooler according to the standards of society.