Jump to topic:

Should we begin flogging again

Sosoconfused
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 10:32:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I was watching videos from the "Festival of Dangerous Ideas" last night and came across
Peter Moskos lecture:

I remember hearing him on NPR a few years ago talking about this concept and had kinda forgotten about it. But hearing this talk again, it resonated with me.

If you don't have time to watch the whole video, his basic argument is this:

Our prisons are overcrowded

prison as a system of rehabilitation doesn't work

prisons are therefore a system of punishment

if given the choice, which would you choose, prison or flogging? (years behind bars, or a few moments of intense pain)

It would serve as a form of punishment for certain crimes
- non-violent crimes mostly as there is no need to separate them from society
unlike violent criminals

The majority of our criminals are non-violent offenders.

If prisoners would be given the choice of the flogging or jail, it wouldn't violate the 8th amendment, or at the very least would speak poorly to the ethical practice of jailing

It would reduce inmate populations and save tax money

it would keep families together, allow people to keep their jobs, and serve the need and desire for punishment

After listening to his talk, I couldn't help but think, I would personally much rather be flogged than spend, say 5 years in jail....What about you guys? Should we think about flogging or something like it as an alternative for imprisonment?
Sosoconfused
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 10:51:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/17/2015 10:38:34 PM, YYW wrote:
I think fines would be a better way to go.... flogging is pretty... medieval.

What happens if you can't pay the fine? Isn't that just a way for the rich to buy their way out of punishment and the poor to be stuck into jails?