Total Posts:46|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Death row inmate's last meal

SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What is your opinion of it? Should death row inmates receive a last meal of their choosing?

http://abc7chicago.com...

In my opinion, it is a waste of food that should be given to people who actually need the nourishment, i.e., starving children in Africa, Asia, etc.

Discuss.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 10:57:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Summer salad with pistachios, Mashed potatoes and gravy with asparagus, topped with minced pistachios, and a Elvis style hamburger with a pistachio "peanut" butter, and bananas.

For desert, pistachio and coffee ice cream, topped with (you guessed it)

pistachios.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 11:00:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 8:33:47 PM, YYW wrote:
I think the fact that we even have the death penalty is reprehensible.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 11:38:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
What is your opinion of it? Should death row inmates receive a last meal of their choosing?

http://abc7chicago.com...

In my opinion, it is a waste of food that should be given to people who actually need the nourishment, i.e., starving children in Africa, Asia, etc.

Discuss.

Have you ever vacationed on a cruise vessel? The amount of food that is tossed would astonish you. I understand your proposal, but the argument that the food is wasted is abysmal compared to that of the restaurant industry.
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 11:44:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 8:33:47 PM, YYW wrote:
I think the fact that we even have the death penalty is reprehensible.

Ehh....
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 11:46:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
What is your opinion of it? Should death row inmates receive a last meal of their choosing?

http://abc7chicago.com...

In my opinion, it is a waste of food that should be given to people who actually need the nourishment, i.e., starving children in Africa, Asia, etc.

Discuss.

I have no problem with it, despite being pro death penalty.
If someone is about to die, they should at least have their final requests granted (within reason).
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
thett3
Posts: 14,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 11:51:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Texas abolished the special last meal after an inmate ordered an inordinately complex meal and then refused to touch it, just out of spite. Personally, I don't mind giving the condemned a last meal
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:01:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
What is your opinion of it? Should death row inmates receive a last meal of their choosing?

http://abc7chicago.com...

In my opinion, it is a waste of food that should be given to people who actually need the nourishment, i.e., starving children in Africa, Asia, etc.

Discuss.

No matter how small the chance is, if you might be executing an innocent man then the least that he deserves is a side of fava beans with his liver and chianti. The cost really is negligible, and I think that it's tied into an absurd modern American sentimentality when it comes to criminality.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:03:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 12:01:10 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
What is your opinion of it? Should death row inmates receive a last meal of their choosing?

http://abc7chicago.com...

In my opinion, it is a waste of food that should be given to people who actually need the nourishment, i.e., starving children in Africa, Asia, etc.

Discuss.

No matter how small the chance is, if you might be executing an innocent man

That is true.

then the least that he deserves is a side of fava beans with his liver and chianti. The cost really is negligible,

Good point.

and I think that it's tied into an absurd modern American sentimentality when it comes to criminality.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:03:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Good answers.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:17:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 11:51:34 PM, thett3 wrote:
Personally, I don't mind giving the condemned a last meal

^ This. It's a last touch of humanity.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:20:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 12:17:29 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/19/2015 11:51:34 PM, thett3 wrote:
Personally, I don't mind giving the condemned a last meal

^ This. It's a last touch of humanity.

I guess so. I don't really know why I like the idea of giving them a last meal. It is quite bizarre, really that I'm okay with having them die but also wanting to grant them their last meal. Like most things, my views on criminal justice are weird
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:21:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 12:20:36 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/20/2015 12:17:29 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/19/2015 11:51:34 PM, thett3 wrote:
Personally, I don't mind giving the condemned a last meal

^ This. It's a last touch of humanity.

I guess so. I don't really know why I like the idea of giving them a last meal. It is quite bizarre, really that I'm okay with having them die but also wanting to grant them their last meal. Like most things, my views on criminal justice are weird

No, I totally understand. My intuitions are mixed up like the too, in the exact same way.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:34:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
What is your opinion of it? Should death row inmates receive a last meal of their choosing?

http://abc7chicago.com...

In my opinion, it is a waste of food that should be given to people who actually need the nourishment, i.e., starving children in Africa, Asia, etc.

i really *really* despise arguments like that.

If people are offended by a prisoners last meal, its not because they care about the starving children in Africa- its because they think giving one last meal to a person who has been sentenced to death penalty is too human. You're not going to ship that last meal to people in Africa, so might as well stop using them as a apprentice to your argument- to try make yourself look moral. Its demeaning to those people in Africa.

Discuss.
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:42:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 8:33:47 PM, YYW wrote:
I think the fact that we even have the death penalty is reprehensible.

Even when the person being executed is an innocent child in the womb? Or are they fair game?
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:45:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 12:34:42 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
What is your opinion of it? Should death row inmates receive a last meal of their choosing?

http://abc7chicago.com...

In my opinion, it is a waste of food that should be given to people who actually need the nourishment, i.e., starving children in Africa, Asia, etc.

i really *really* despise arguments like that.

If people are offended by a prisoners last meal, its not because they care about the starving children in Africa- its because they think giving one last meal to a person who has been sentenced to death penalty is too human. You're not going to ship that last meal to people in Africa, so might as well stop using them as a apprentice to your argument- to try make yourself look moral. Its demeaning to those people in Africa.

*I am not trying to do anything.

Good point. I have changed my opinion.

Discuss.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:52:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 12:34:42 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
What is your opinion of it? Should death row inmates receive a last meal of their choosing?

http://abc7chicago.com...

In my opinion, it is a waste of food that should be given to people who actually need the nourishment, i.e., starving children in Africa, Asia, etc.

i really *really* despise arguments like that.

If people are offended by a prisoners last meal,

Who is offended?

its not because they care about the starving children in Africa- its because they think giving one last meal to a person who has been sentenced to death penalty is too human. You're not going to ship that last meal to people in Africa,

Correct. If anyone, FedEx, UPS, ect will be doing the shipments.

so might as well stop using them as a apprentice to your argument- to try make yourself look moral.

I'm still wondering what lead you to think that this was about being moral.

Its demeaning to those people in Africa.

Discuss.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 1:06:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 12:52:52 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 2/20/2015 12:34:42 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
What is your opinion of it? Should death row inmates receive a last meal of their choosing?

http://abc7chicago.com...

In my opinion, it is a waste of food that should be given to people who actually need the nourishment, i.e., starving children in Africa, Asia, etc.

i really *really* despise arguments like that.

If people are offended by a prisoners last meal,

Who is offended?

Why else would you want to snatch away morsels from a prisoners mouth and send them to Africa?

its not because they care about the starving children in Africa- its because they think giving one last meal to a person who has been sentenced to death penalty is too human. You're not going to ship that last meal to people in Africa,

Correct. If anyone, FedEx, UPS, ect will be doing the shipments.

Of what? People executed in US are minimal in number. 35 executions last year. So you're gonna ask those 35 members for their fav meals and send them over to Africa? 35 plates a year?

Thats kinda stupid, I'm sorry. If people really wanted to help the poor people in Africa, there are infinitely better ways to help them.

so might as well stop using them as a apprentice to your argument- to try make yourself look moral.

I'm still wondering what lead you to think that this was about being moral.

Um, why else would you send those 35 plates to Africa and not eat them yourself or something.
Its demeaning to those people in Africa.

Discuss.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 1:17:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 1:06:46 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 2/20/2015 12:52:52 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 2/20/2015 12:34:42 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
What is your opinion of it? Should death row inmates receive a last meal of their choosing?

http://abc7chicago.com...

In my opinion, it is a waste of food that should be given to people who actually need the nourishment, i.e., starving children in Africa, Asia, etc.

i really *really* despise arguments like that.

If people are offended by a prisoners last meal,

Who is offended?

Why else would you want to snatch away morsels from a prisoners mouth and send them to Africa?

1. It will help people starving to death.


its not because they care about the starving children in Africa- its because they think giving one last meal to a person who has been sentenced to death penalty is too human. You're not going to ship that last meal to people in Africa,

Correct. If anyone, FedEx, UPS, ect will be doing the shipments.

Of what? People executed in US are minimal in number. 35 executions last year. So you're gonna ask those 35 members for their fav meals and send them over to Africa? 35 plates a year?

Thats kinda stupid, I'm sorry. If people really wanted to help the poor people in Africa, there are infinitely better ways to help them.

That may be true. Please keep the discussion decorous.

so might as well stop using them as a apprentice to your argument- to try make yourself look moral.

I'm still wondering what lead you to think that this was about being moral.

Um, why else would you send those 35 plates to Africa and not eat them yourself or something.

I would not eat the food myself since I already have food.
Its demeaning to those people in Africa.

Discuss.

Scenario:

You are a manager at a store. You have two applicants looking to fill the available position. Applicant 1 is: A man who is struggling financially while having to support a family. Applicant 2 is: A teenager looking for some pocket change.

Who do you give the position to?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 1:30:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 1:17:10 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 2/20/2015 1:06:46 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 2/20/2015 12:52:52 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 2/20/2015 12:34:42 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:

1. It will help people starving to death.

It will not. 35 plates a year is not sufficient help for anyone, let alone starving people in a faraway country.

Of what? People executed in US are minimal in number. 35 executions last year. So you're gonna ask those 35 members for their fav meals and send them over to Africa? 35 plates a year?

Thats kinda stupid, I'm sorry. If people really wanted to help the poor people in Africa, there are infinitely better ways to help them.

That may be true. Please keep the discussion decorous.

I'm sorry. That idea lacked merit.

so might as well stop using them as a apprentice to your argument- to try make yourself look moral.

I'm still wondering what lead you to think that this was about being moral.

Um, why else would you send those 35 plates to Africa and not eat them yourself or something.

I would not eat the food myself since I already have food.

Why dont you send your own food to the people in Africa?
Its demeaning to those people in Africa.

Discuss.

Scenario:

You are a manager at a store. You have two applicants looking to fill the available position. Applicant 1 is: A man who is struggling financially while having to support a family. Applicant 2 is: A teenager looking for some pocket change.

Who do you give the position to?

The person who had more talent, obviously.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 1:33:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 1:30:54 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 2/20/2015 1:17:10 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 2/20/2015 1:06:46 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 2/20/2015 12:52:52 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 2/20/2015 12:34:42 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:

1. It will help people starving to death.

It will not. 35 plates a year is not sufficient help for anyone, let alone starving people in a faraway country.

Good point.

Of what? People executed in US are minimal in number. 35 executions last year. So you're gonna ask those 35 members for their fav meals and send them over to Africa? 35 plates a year?

Thats kinda stupid, I'm sorry. If people really wanted to help the poor people in Africa, there are infinitely better ways to help them.

That may be true. Please keep the discussion decorous.

I'm sorry. That idea lacked merit.

No problem.

so might as well stop using them as a apprentice to your argument- to try make yourself look moral.

I'm still wondering what lead you to think that this was about being moral.

Um, why else would you send those 35 plates to Africa and not eat them yourself or something.

I would not eat the food myself since I already have food.

Why dont you send your own food to the people in Africa?

1. I do not own any food. My parents bought the food.
Its demeaning to those people in Africa.

Discuss.

Scenario:

You are a manager at a store. You have two applicants looking to fill the available position. Applicant 1 is: A man who is struggling financially while having to support a family. Applicant 2 is: A teenager looking for some pocket change.

Who do you give the position to?

The person who had more talent, obviously.

Assume both of the applicants have the same skill level for the position.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 1:57:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 1:33:33 AM, SamStevens wrote:

I would not eat the food myself since I already have food.

Why dont you send your own food to the people in Africa?

1. I do not own any food. My parents bought the food.

That doesn't really matter either way, i think. You can still give away your food.

This isn't about the starving children in Africa. People don't care about the starving children in Africa when they talk about prisoners not deserving one last meal. If they did- they would be dedicated to *that* cause- not trying to snatch away inconsequential morsels from a prisoners mouth.

What this is about is whether or not a prisoner deserves that last food. Which is all fine, people can discuss over that. But tagging along children in africa for any kind of argument is something i feel is really- its degrading their plight and being *extremely* insensitive.

Its demeaning to those people in Africa.

Discuss.

Scenario:

You are a manager at a store. You have two applicants looking to fill the available position. Applicant 1 is: A man who is struggling financially while having to support a family. Applicant 2 is: A teenager looking for some pocket change.

Who do you give the position to?

The person who had more talent, obviously.

Assume both of the applicants have the same skill level for the position.

Nobody really *deserves* the position. Its upto me, and I'll chose the person who I feel will be the best fit to the organization. Just because a person is struggling financially doesn't mean that he deserves the position anymore than the teenager. He *wants* the position more, definitely. But that doesn't mean anything- Its upto me who I give it to- and chosing one over the other has no moral implications.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 6:47:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 1:57:49 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 2/20/2015 1:33:33 AM, SamStevens wrote:

I would not eat the food myself since I already have food.

Why dont you send your own food to the people in Africa?

1. I do not own any food. My parents bought the food.

That doesn't really matter either way, i think. You can still give away your food.

This isn't about the starving children in Africa. People don't care about the starving children in Africa when they talk about prisoners not deserving one last meal. If they did- they would be dedicated to *that* cause- not trying to snatch away inconsequential morsels from a prisoners mouth.

What this is about is whether or not a prisoner deserves that last food. Which is all fine, people can discuss over that. But tagging along children in africa for any kind of argument is something i feel is really- its degrading their plight and being *extremely* insensitive.

Its demeaning to those people in Africa.

Discuss.

Scenario:

You are a manager at a store. You have two applicants looking to fill the available position. Applicant 1 is: A man who is struggling financially while having to support a family. Applicant 2 is: A teenager looking for some pocket change.

Who do you give the position to?

The person who had more talent, obviously.

Assume both of the applicants have the same skill level for the position.

Nobody really *deserves* the position. Its upto me, and I'll chose the person who I feel will be the best fit to the organization. Just because a person is struggling financially doesn't mean that he deserves the position anymore than the teenager. He *wants* the position more, definitely. But that doesn't mean anything- Its upto me who I give it to- and chosing one over the other has no moral implications.

Good answer.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Genghis_Khan
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:32:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 8:33:47 PM, YYW wrote:
I think the fact that we even have the death penalty is reprehensible.

how so? some of the more insiduous crimes that have been committed make a painless death sound fun.
anything your heart desires
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:40:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
What is your opinion of it? Should death row inmates receive a last meal of their choosing?

http://abc7chicago.com...

In my opinion, it is a waste of food that should be given to people who actually need the nourishment, i.e., starving children in Africa, Asia, etc.

Discuss.

I disagree with having death row in the first place. It waists prison money to keep them alive until execution time. They already made their choice, and we should execute them as soon as possible. I mean, it's not "hard" to kill people.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:51:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 12:20:36 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/20/2015 12:17:29 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/19/2015 11:51:34 PM, thett3 wrote:
Personally, I don't mind giving the condemned a last meal

^ This. It's a last touch of humanity.

I guess so. I don't really know why I like the idea of giving them a last meal. It is quite bizarre, really that I'm okay with having them die but also wanting to grant them their last meal. Like most things, my views on criminal justice are weird

Because we still judge ourselves for the humanity of the process by which we put people to death. It may as well be humane. That's why we regulate the method by which we kill people (lethal injection, not electric chair or hanging). We try to make sure they are guilty for sure (through the lengthy appeals process). And we grant them one last request.

If we took a defeatist attitude about something that was going to die, we'd be okay with treating our farm animals really badly.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:53:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 12:40:21 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
What is your opinion of it? Should death row inmates receive a last meal of their choosing?

http://abc7chicago.com...

In my opinion, it is a waste of food that should be given to people who actually need the nourishment, i.e., starving children in Africa, Asia, etc.

Discuss.

I disagree with having death row in the first place. It waists prison money to keep them alive until execution time. They already made their choice, and we should execute them as soon as possible. I mean, it's not "hard" to kill people.

They are all killed shortly after their last possible appeal, unless they receive executive clemency.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:54:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 12:53:15 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/20/2015 12:40:21 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
What is your opinion of it? Should death row inmates receive a last meal of their choosing?

http://abc7chicago.com...

In my opinion, it is a waste of food that should be given to people who actually need the nourishment, i.e., starving children in Africa, Asia, etc.

Discuss.

I disagree with having death row in the first place. It waists prison money to keep them alive until execution time. They already made their choice, and we should execute them as soon as possible. I mean, it's not "hard" to kill people.

They are all killed shortly after their last possible appeal, unless they receive executive clemency.

They wait for months.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:57:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 12:54:10 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 2/20/2015 12:53:15 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/20/2015 12:40:21 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 2/19/2015 7:56:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
What is your opinion of it? Should death row inmates receive a last meal of their choosing?

http://abc7chicago.com...

In my opinion, it is a waste of food that should be given to people who actually need the nourishment, i.e., starving children in Africa, Asia, etc.

Discuss.

I disagree with having death row in the first place. It waists prison money to keep them alive until execution time. They already made their choice, and we should execute them as soon as possible. I mean, it's not "hard" to kill people.

They are all killed shortly after their last possible appeal, unless they receive executive clemency.

They wait for months.

A lot of prisoners were executed the day after the Supreme Court rejected their appeal. Sometimes there is a long wait, but it's because they were waiting on the lethal injection drugs, which are only made by one company and are hard to come by.

The vast majority of the wait is due to the appeals process.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)