Jump to topic:

Feminist Theory of War Plausible?

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 11:38:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Feminist believe that it's the men who cause all war's due to their "manliness " and their trying to always be the best. Does this theory have any actual backing? (http://www.warandgender.com...) One may look to one nation to see that it may actually be factual. This nation is China. With their women to male population being 10:1 you can see that a lot of people will be womenless. When you cannot find a chick to date and be with you become more agressive in trying to get a women and this will likely see crime in China increase or the more likely go to war to direct their anger and aggression elsewhere. This nation will likely either be Japan or Vietnam.

Thoughts?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:33:25 PM
At 2/20/2015 11:38:49 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Feminist believe that it's the men who cause all war's due to their "manliness " and their trying to always be the best. Does this theory have any actual backing? (http://www.warandgender.com...) One may look to one nation to see that it may actually be factual. This nation is China. With their women to male population being 10:1 you can see that a lot of people will be womenless. When you cannot find a chick to date and be with you become more agressive in trying to get a women and this will likely see crime in China increase or the more likely go to war to direct their anger and aggression elsewhere. This nation will likely either be Japan or Vietnam.

Thoughts?

Yeah, pretty sure I remember learning in history class that WWII started because Wladyslaw Sikorski, the Prime Minister of Poland, told Hitler that he had a small penis. Hitler just had to prove him wrong...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:42:04 PM
At 2/20/2015 12:33:25 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Thoughts?

Yeah, pretty sure I remember learning in history class that WWII started because Wladyslaw Sikorski, the Prime Minister of Poland, told Hitler that he had a small penis. Hitler just had to prove him wrong...

lol
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 5:28:12 PM
Obviously, it's not 10 to 1. More like 1.13x as many baby boys born as baby girls. But this thread got me thinking about sex ratios and in particular, countries where the gender ratio favors girls over boys.

Interestingly, the lowest sex ratios (meaning more women than men) are in those Russian and East European states which, coincidentally perhaps, have the greatest suicide rates.

If you look at the countries with the top suicide rates (mostly men for the ones I've checked), most of them also have the greatest female to male gender ratios.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://www.nationmaster.com...

Greenland, South Korea and Guyana are the exceptions, but all the others: Lithuania, Kazakhstan, Slovenia, Japan, Slovakia, Latvia, Hungary, Belarus, Ukraine, Croatia, Russia and Moldova all have low gender ratios.

They're basically the same region - apart from Japan - but it's interesting. If you look at it broken down by age, it's as if men start disappearing in their forties, while women survive.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 10:17:59 PM
Feminist believe that it's the men who cause all war's due to their "manliness " and their trying to always be the best. Does this theory have any actual backing?

No. Plato explained war 2500 years ago, it is due to you and I wanting many luxuries and not caring how the resources for them are obtained. We want our goods, we want them now and we don't care how many third-world countries are suffering while our foreign nationals are working their lands and their people to death for them. We can have a global second-world, or we can have a first-world and third-world.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 11:33:50 PM

Silliness.

Good old Niccolo got it right:

"It was the verdict of ancient writers that men afflict themselves in evil and weary themselves in the good, and that the same effects result from both of these passions. For whenever men are not obliged to fight from necessity, they fight from ambition; which is so powerful in human breasts, that it never leaves them no matter to what rank they rise. The reason is that nature has so created men that they are able to desire everything but are not able to attain everything: so that the desire being always greater than the acquisition, there results discontent with the possession and little satisfaction to themselves from it. From this arises the changes in their fortunes; for as men desire, some to have more, some in fear of losing their acquisition, there ensues enmity and war, from which results the ruin of that province and the elevation of another."
- Discourses on Livy -

This principle COULD apply to women. But it could also apply to just about everything else under the sun.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
AFism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:45:00 AM

Thoughts?

You are arguing a slippery slope here. Sure manliness is a factor but the crux of many wars is the basic definition of what a human is. I can point to slavery obviously around the world, civil rights movements, the holocaust, colonization and people fighting for independence in their own country. Not to mention all of the fascist nationalist driven wars that sprout by leaders saying "Hey my people are better than yours, lets kill all your men and rape all your women".

If people regarded each other as equals, as humans, as other sentient beings, regardless of differences I feel that many of the wars that we have had would not have happened. Obviously this theory excludes wars over land, resources, etc. But even then the act of slaughtering and killing each other would be taken with prudence if people regarded each other as human.

So, this theory is very single minded, and not all feminists feel this is so.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:55:42 AM
You are arguing a slippery slope here. Sure manliness is a factor but the crux of many wars is the basic definition of what a human is. I can point to slavery obviously around the world, civil rights movements, the holocaust, colonization and people fighting for independence in their own country. Not to mention all of the fascist nationalist driven wars that sprout by leaders saying "Hey my people are better than yours, lets kill all your men and rape all your women".

If people regarded each other as equals, as humans, as other sentient beings, regardless of differences I feel that many of the wars that we have had would not have happened. Obviously this theory excludes wars over land, resources, etc. But even then the act of slaughtering and killing each other would be taken with prudence if people regarded each other as human.

So, this theory is very single minded, and not all feminists feel this is so.

The Fool: Lol. He is not being that serious.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
jimtimmy4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 4:52:46 PM
There is no doubt that polygamy leads to a violent class of men who do not have women. This is why, for example, Islamic people tend to be so violent.

Irony here is that the feminist push to replace monogamy with "sexual liberation" lead to more rape and more male violence. Go figure.
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 12:04:42 AM

Thoughts?

If we're going to accept that much of a natural difference for genders I see no reason to enforce complete equality.

Luckily I don't buy this argument at all so I'll stick to egalitarianism.
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 8:37:53 PM
At 2/22/2015 6:41:46 PM, SaxxyBlues wrote:
I like to think the US goes to war to support and defend the constitution.

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 8:45:48 PM
Men are naturally more aggressive than females.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 9:04:30 PM
At 2/22/2015 8:37:53 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 2/22/2015 6:41:46 PM, SaxxyBlues wrote:
I like to think the US goes to war to support and defend the constitution.

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Lol, pretty much my reaction as well.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 10:36:14 PM

Thoughts?

I have one response to this theory: Boudiccea. Fought the most destructive war in Britain ever, responsible for at least 750,000 deaths, and Boudiccea was a woman who used fellow women celtic tribe leaders to cause the tribes of Britain to go to war against the Romans.

Clearly, the feminine personality can want to be the best too, even to the point of bloodshed.
"Perhaps the atheist cannot find God for the same reason the thief cannot find a policeman"

--G.K Chesterton