Jump to topic:

A Challenge: Homosexuality is Not a Choice

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 12:56:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is a challenge to whomever thinks homosexuality is not a choice. I challenge you to, for one week, try to be sexually attracted to the same sex and to forgo sexual attraction to the opposite sex.

If you're a straight guy, for instance, try going a whole week without once looking at a girl and admiring her looks, even passingly. Try to get turned on by guys. Try to eliminate girls from your fantasies and so forth.

If you're unsuccessful in this challenge, I submit that you've just proven to yourself that homosexuality is not a choice.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 1:09:09 AM
At 2/21/2015 12:56:23 AM, bsh1 wrote:
This is a challenge to whomever thinks homosexuality is not a choice. I challenge you to, for one week, try to be sexually attracted to the same sex and to forgo sexual attraction to the opposite sex.

If you're a straight guy, for instance, try going a whole week without once looking at a girl and admiring her looks, even passingly. Try to get turned on by guys. Try to eliminate girls from your fantasies and so forth.

If you're unsuccessful in this challenge, I submit that you've just proven to yourself that homosexuality is not a choice.

This is a great idea. I wonder how many people who do not accept homosexuality as natural are comfortable enough with their own sexuality to sincerely participate in this experiment.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 1:10:56 AM
At 2/21/2015 1:09:09 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

This is a great idea. I wonder how many people who do not accept homosexuality as natural are comfortable enough with their own sexuality to sincerely participate in this experiment.

I doubt many would, but I don't think they can honestly deny that it's not a choice if the refuse to do so.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 1:13:56 AM
At 2/21/2015 1:10:56 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I doubt many would, but I don't think they can honestly deny that it's not a choice if the refuse to do so.

Precisely why this was an excellent idea. It leaves very little room for BS and excuses.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 1:18:32 AM
At 2/21/2015 1:13:56 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:
At 2/21/2015 1:10:56 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Precisely why this was an excellent idea. It leaves very little room for BS and excuses.

Agreed.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 10:44:22 AM

The Fool: I would be a afraid to take that test. Lol..
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 10:46:44 AM
The Fool: I personally would argue that it is more of Gradient. From one end of the spectrum to the other.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 10:53:56 AM
At 2/21/2015 10:46:44 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: I personally would argue that it is more of Gradient. From one end of the spectrum to the other.

That is already widely recognized.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 10:55:29 AM
At 2/21/2015 10:53:56 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

UndeniableReality : That is already widely recognized.

The Fool: Okay. What about it.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:03:57 AM
At 2/21/2015 10:55:29 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

I'm not sure what the point was in saying that you would personally argue for a widely accepted fact. If there was a point (maybe you think the original post should be slightly reworded), please elaborate. The way it is, it seemed like you thought you were introducing some kind of novel idea.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:07:47 AM
At 2/21/2015 11:03:57 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

UndeniableReality : I'm not sure what the point was in saying that you would personally argue for a widely accepted fact. If there was a point (maybe you think the original post should be slightly reworded), please elaborate. The way it is, it seemed like you thought you were introducing some kind of novel idea.

The Fool: Because I hadn't learned that in cognitive science. The answer tends to be. Its complicated. So it was my own, inference based on bits and pieces of accumulated knowledge. And I am happy to see I was on point.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:11:30 AM
The Fool: As always..

Oh and what follows from that is there is some aspect of choice.. I would argue that its more and less of a choice for certain individuals. That is, its possible to allow to get ourselves condition in more or less a direction, but perhaps this is more possible for those in the middle of the spectrum, and perhaps harmful for those at the polar ends.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:14:48 AM

sigh....
I hate this argument, so very much, and I really don't know if I'm giving people too much credit, or it's just a case of advocates being stupid, or one side strawmanning the other, or what, but I absolutely hate this phrase - or rather, how it is applied.

I don't know how many people say this. I don't think I've ever met anyone who says this.

When I hear "homosexuality is a choice", what I assume people mean (or what the talking point meant) is that you choose to act on it. Homosexuality is a personality trait or whatever, just as heterosexuality is.
However, just as I may be attracted to a married woman, the act is what is a choice, and the act is what I like to think is being address/condemned. Nobody chooses to be gay, or straight, or a pedophile. But the issue is acting on it.

So, if a church believe that gays are immoral, I assume they mean pursuing a gay lifestyle (i.e. not getting married and having/trying to have kids). I have a hard time thinking people believe that having temptation for sin, whether it is to lust after a man, woman, or child, is somehow a sinful act in itself.

I have no idea if this makes sense.
So, proving it is not a choice, to me, does nothing for any argument on any side, and I hate this phrase.
My work here is, finally, done.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:17:37 AM
At 2/21/2015 11:14:48 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

The Fool: I believe in Christianity the thoughts are sinful too, and god can see you thoughts.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:18:41 AM
At 2/21/2015 11:07:47 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

UndeniableReality : I'm not sure what the point was in saying that you would personally argue for a widely accepted fact. If there was a point (maybe you think the original post should be slightly reworded), please elaborate. The way it is, it seemed like you thought you were introducing some kind of novel idea.

The Fool: Because I hadn't learned that in cognitive science. The answer tends to be. Its complicated. So it was my own, inference based on bits and pieces of accumulated knowledge. And I am happy to see I was on point.

In that case, I'm happy to have informed you that it is already widely recognized as such in psychology.

This is an aside: I'm not sure what your cog sci program was like (we don't have an undergraduate program in cog sci at my university, and the graduate program is in the humanities rather than the sciences). The way it sounds, do you think it may have been spread too thin? There are a lot of content to cover in each of those disciplines, and even a focused undergraduate degree in neuroscience will hardly be enough to make one more than a beginner. Then to bring in AI? That requires a whole undergraduate in mathematics or computer science. It's strange to imagine you could get much scientific rigour out of a cog sci program unless your course load was triple that of a normal science student, which isn't possible. Just curious about what your program was like. I've checked every university I've been to, and none of them offer a BSc in cog sci (only BA), except for UCLA. It's just hard to imagine one could get a significant understand of any of those fields if they're trying to learn them all at once. In my case, I did a degree in psych/neuroscience, a degree in math, and a degree in computational science. I can't imagine a degree in cog sci would give someone a comparable education.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:20:42 AM
At 2/21/2015 11:17:37 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 2/21/2015 11:14:48 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

The Fool: I believe in Christianity the thoughts are sinful too, and god can see you thoughts.

Hmmm, maybe.
But, lustful thoughts are sinful, so I don't see why it would matter the target.
My work here is, finally, done.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:28:11 AM
At 2/21/2015 11:18:41 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

In that case, I'm happy to have informed you that it is already widely recognized as such in psychology.

The Fool: My specialty is philosophy of Science. I don't care if something is recognize. I am skilled at judging the integrity of the studies and re-examining the kind of inference made by the laborers..

This is an aside: I'm not sure what your cog sci program was like (we don't have an undergraduate program in cog sci at my university, and the graduate program is in the humanities rather than the sciences). The way it sounds, do you think it may have been spread too thin? There are a lot of content to cover in each of those disciplines, and even a focused undergraduate degree in neuroscience will hardly be enough to make one more than a beginner. Then to bring in AI? That requires a whole undergraduate in mathematics or computer science. It's strange to imagine you could get much scientific rigour out of a cog sci program unless your course load was triple that of a normal science student, which isn't possible.

The Fool: Yeah it is spread a bit thin, but it give us a UNIFIED, view of how the mind works. My current MA is in Philosophy, focusing on philosophy of science.

http://carleton.ca...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:32:21 AM

Well, in that regard... the issue is settled.
Tsar of DDO
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:33:59 AM
*The Fool: I prefer to do the thinking, analyzing, criticizing and theorizing rather then get my hands too dirty with the laboring.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:35:35 AM
At 2/21/2015 11:28:11 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 2/21/2015 11:18:41 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

The Fool: My specialty is philosophy of Science. I don't care if something is recognize. I am skilled at judging the integrity of the studies and re-examining the kind of inference made by the laborers..

All scientists should be skilled in this way, but I would say (and you might agree) that science majors don't get nearly enough education in the philosophy of science.

This is an aside: I'm not sure what your cog sci program was like (we don't have an undergraduate program in cog sci at my university, and the graduate program is in the humanities rather than the sciences). The way it sounds, do you think it may have been spread too thin? There are a lot of content to cover in each of those disciplines, and even a focused undergraduate degree in neuroscience will hardly be enough to make one more than a beginner. Then to bring in AI? That requires a whole undergraduate in mathematics or computer science. It's strange to imagine you could get much scientific rigour out of a cog sci program unless your course load was triple that of a normal science student, which isn't possible.

The Fool: Yeah it is spread a bit thin, but it give us a UNIFIED, view of how the mind works. My current MA is in Philosophy, focusing on philosophy of science.

You're at Carleton? Not too far away at all. I've been to Carleton's campus a few times. I'm doing my PhD at McMaster in brain-computer interfacing and hybridization of human and artificial intelligence. I don't really know how MA's work, but it would be interesting to know more about what you do.

Anyway, we may be hijacking this thread a little, and it is very much my fault. I'd be okay with continuing this in a separate thread if you'd like.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:36:54 AM
At 2/21/2015 11:32:21 AM, YYW wrote:

Well, in that regard... the issue is settled.

The Fool: So on spectrum of:

Gay 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Straight

How gay are you? You make a DDO pole and get everybody to rate their sexuality.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:41:04 AM
At 2/21/2015 11:32:21 AM, YYW wrote:

*Gay 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Straight

We should pay if you had you have sex with one of the opposite sex or die, who would it be?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:42:49 AM
*We should [play] if you had you have sex with one of the opposite sex or die, who would it be? And of course visa versa For the straights..
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:49:37 AM

Undeniedreality : You're at Carleton?

The Fool: I was, I am at Ottawa U now.

Undeniedreality: I don't really know how MA's work, but it would be interesting to know more about what you do.

The Fool : t's just a 2-3 yrs intense focus on major works in philosophy of science and analytical philosophy.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 12:01:19 PM
At 2/21/2015 11:49:37 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

I've been there too. Would hate to live in Ottawa (born and raised Torontonian, so...).

Undeniedreality: I don't really know how MA's work, but it would be interesting to know more about what you do.

The Fool : t's just a 2-3 yrs intense focus on major works in philosophy of science and analytical philosophy.

So is it course-based, or are you going to write some kind of arts thesis? What does an arts thesis even entail?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 12:05:53 PM
At 2/21/2015 12:01:19 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

I've been there too. Would hate to live in Ottawa (born and raised Torontonian, so...).

UndeniableReality : So is it course-based, or are you going to write some kind of arts thesis? What does an arts thesis even entail?

The Fool: Critiquing some aspect of modern science as it is theorized and practiced.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 12:08:08 PM
The Fool: You know you could use PM next time for this.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 12:08:42 PM
At 2/21/2015 12:05:53 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 2/21/2015 12:01:19 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

UndeniableReality : So is it course-based, or are you going to write some kind of arts thesis? What does an arts thesis even entail?

The Fool: Critiquing some aspect of modern science as it is theorized and practiced.

That's cool. I don't generally put much stock into what comes out of the arts, but this may be a bit of an exception. I'd be interesting in what comes out of your work and any good resources you have on the topic.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 12:09:09 PM
At 2/21/2015 12:08:08 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: You know you could use PM next time for this.

Yes, I probably should have.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 12:17:33 PM

I tried....

I already failed. I admired a girl's looks on the way to the store.... Ooops.

I made a sincere effort here bsh1.... I even tried to jerk off to Channing Tatum. Did nothing for me....
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)