Jump to topic:

Feminists who want special treatment

SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 4:51:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
On Facebook, there is a a page called "Real Men Treat Their Women like princesses.". A woman commented on the page's post stating the following: " I was drawn to the title of your page, because, [...], I have always wanted to be treated like a princess...and I consider myself a feminist, so there. [...]"

If feminism is the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men, then why do some feminists want special rights/treatments, such as being treated like a princes? If anything, they, by definition, wish to have equality in a political, social, and economic setting. In my opinion, feminists who argue for special treatments are being hypocritical.

Discuss. I wish to see what other Debate.org users think and what arguments they have to present about this topic. Keep discussion decorous and mature.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 5:45:58 PM
Well, technically feminism should be the striving of equality for women.
So, if Woman A wants to be pampered and treated like a princess and be "treated like a woman", that is her prerogative. However, if she is not inclined to be treated as a princess, then she shouldn't be forced to.

That is feminism to me.
My work here is, finally, done.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 6:19:09 PM
At 2/23/2015 4:51:23 PM, SamStevens wrote:
On Facebook, there is a a page called "Real Men Treat Their Women like princesses.". A woman commented on the page's post stating the following: " I was drawn to the title of your page, because, [...], I have always wanted to be treated like a princess...and I consider myself a feminist, so there. [...]"

If feminism is the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men, then why do some feminists want special rights/treatments, such as being treated like a princes? If anything, they, by definition, wish to have equality in a political, social, and economic setting. In my opinion, feminists who argue for special treatments are being hypocritical.

Discuss. I wish to see what other Debate.org users think and what arguments they have to present about this topic. Keep discussion decorous and mature.

If that's so, then they should be inclined to treat their husbands like princes.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 7:00:28 PM
I get the impression the OP is manipulating the text. Can we have it in full? You make it sound like she said "I want to be treated like a princess because I'm a feminist."
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 9:02:42 PM
At 2/23/2015 7:00:28 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I get the impression the OP is manipulating the text. Can we have it in full? You make it sound like she said "I want to be treated like a princess because I'm a feminist."

I took it to be "I want to be treated like a princess, and I consider myself a feminist".
Not because, but in spite of or ironically.
My work here is, finally, done.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 10:06:31 PM
At 2/23/2015 9:02:42 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/23/2015 7:00:28 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I took it to be "I want to be treated like a princess, and I consider myself a feminist".
Not because, but in spite of or ironically.

Yeah you're right.

Anyway, there's a difference between gender roles and gender equality.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 10:26:27 PM
Feminism is all about getting special treatment so this woman would be a feminist. From what I've seen feminism is about demanding all the benefits of being a man without working as hard or in as many dangerous fields as men do.
"Perhaps the atheist cannot find God for the same reason the thief cannot find a policeman"

--G.K Chesterton
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 11:44:07 PM
At 2/23/2015 4:51:23 PM, SamStevens wrote:

That's like saying "If the American revolution is about liberty, why is it that SOME revolutionaries tar and feather those who disagree with them?"
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
debatingtheworld.com
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 11:47:18 AM
Like in every other movement, there are some who use feminism conveniently and when they need it. I don't think this is the case, well.... depending on what she/the article means by treating a woman like a princess.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 5:21:06 AM
At 2/27/2015 11:47:18 AM, debatingtheworld.com wrote:
Like in every other movement, there are some who use feminism conveniently and when they need it. I don't think this is the case, well.... depending on what she/the article means by treating a woman like a princess.

The entire feminist movement, with all its waves, is primarily focused on women first, hence all feminists use feminism "conveniently when they need it", in the sense that they use, change and distort facts to fit their personal agendas. As you recognised, it is so obvious that she is using the movement to fit her own agenda.