Jump to topic:

Animal Abuse

Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 10:17:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I was wondering why the news makes a huge deal out of a person mistreating an animal. Now I don't support animal abuse or saying that what they did was ok. But at the same time, I feel as though it gets way more attention then it should. I mean if a person leaves their dog in a hot car and it dies it becomes a highly debated subject and that person is hugely fined or even sent to prison. To me this seems a bit extreme. Obviously they should be punished, but i don't think it should be that extreme. Especially for an accident like leaving it in a car. Now if the person is purposefully mistreating an animal they deserve a more severe punishment. But it should be more physiological treatment then prison time. Why is it the people become so outraged over simply accidentally mistreating an animal?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 12:44:51 AM
No they should be punished harshly at least in areas where it's common knowledge that's extremely bad. When I was in Florida for example, everyone knew leaving your dog in the car with the window up and the AC off would kill them. They should be treated harshly for that.

I'm currently in the Northeast so if they have a hot summer here I could be slightly more understanding of their ignorance.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 1:20:41 AM
At 2/26/2015 10:17:39 PM, Rubikx wrote:
I was wondering why the news makes a huge deal out of a person mistreating an animal. Now I don't support animal abuse or saying that what they did was ok. But at the same time, I feel as though it gets way more attention then it should. I mean if a person leaves their dog in a hot car and it dies it becomes a highly debated subject and that person is hugely fined or even sent to prison. To me this seems a bit extreme. Obviously they should be punished, but i don't think it should be that extreme. Especially for an accident like leaving it in a car. Now if the person is purposefully mistreating an animal they deserve a more severe punishment. But it should be more physiological treatment then prison time. Why is it the people become so outraged over simply accidentally mistreating an animal?

There was one particularly ridiculous incident where people were hunting and killing stray dogs in the Balkans. All of the sudden Americans everywhere knew how to find the Balkan countries on a map, though they probably couldn't tell you the difference between them, and promptly began to express their livid outrage. To a people who have been suffering ethnic cleansing, civil wars, and oppressive governments for decades, without it causing practically any stir here, we really must look like the biggest @ssholes on the face of the planet after that. I think that the American public's widespread elevation of animal welfare over human welfare is some sort of bizarre, society-wide neurosis, a symptom of a very sick country. I mean, there are websites with pictures of a few dead dogs in a dump, pushing for these people to 'face justice', but most Americans have no idea that there are still relatively fresh mass graves in Bosnia. Ugh, sometimes I just want these stupid, sheltered, self-righteous people to be thrown into an urban war zone.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 8:56:12 AM

For the same reason committing a crime against the elderly or retarded is so outrageous: they are clearly weak and helpless to the aggressor.

And, the reason they report on this, is because they will get viewers/readers.
My work here is, finally, done.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 3:16:37 PM
At 2/27/2015 8:56:12 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

For the same reason committing a crime against the elderly or retarded is so outrageous: they are clearly weak and helpless to the aggressor.

But the elderly or retarted are still humans. A cat and a retarted person do not have the same level of value when it comes to accidentally killing one.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 3:21:55 PM
At 2/27/2015 3:16:37 PM, Rubikx wrote:
At 2/27/2015 8:56:12 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

But the elderly or retarted are still humans. A cat and a retarted person do not have the same level of value when it comes to accidentally killing one.
Says you.
People care A LOT about their pets, often more than other people (or at least more than strangers).
My work here is, finally, done.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 7:11:29 PM

Someone who mistreats an animal has chosen to ignore feeling of commiseration. That is a very, very big deal because this is what differentiates humans from non-humans. All morality stems from this feeling of commiseration and someone without it is not human until he regains this feeling.

'From this case we may perceive that the feeling of commiseration is essential to man, that the feeling of shame and dislike is essential to man, that the feeling of modesty and complaisance is essential to man, and that the feeling of approving and disapproving is essential to man.' (Mencius 3.6)
(Legge kind of watered down the translation, by the way. The original states that 'without the feeling of commiseration, one cannot be considered a human.')

'So is the superior man affected towards animals, that, having seen them alive, he cannot bear to see them die; having heard their dying cries, he cannot bear to eat their flesh.' (Mencius 1.7)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 1:11:41 PM
Animals are not humans and therefore don't have rights. The alternative is pretty ridiculous. I don't know who wants to live in a society where stepping on an ant or swatting a mosquito is illegal. I think people should never be punished for harming an animal, unless the animal is owned by someone else and they didn't want it harmed. Things like dog, cock and bullfighting should be legal.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 1:21:19 PM
I was wondering why the news makes a huge deal out of a person mistreating an animal. Now I don't support animal abuse or saying that what they did was ok. But at the same time, I feel as though it gets way more attention then it should. I mean if a person leaves their dog in a hot car and it dies it becomes a highly debated subject and that person is hugely fined or even sent to prison. To me this seems a bit extreme.

Correct. That punishment is very extreme. Instead, the person who left their dog to die of heat exhaustion in their car should be placed inside of a Brazen Bull.(http://en.wikipedia.org...)

Obviously they should be punished, but i don't think it should be that extreme. Especially for an accident like leaving it in a car. Now if the person is purposefully mistreating an animal they deserve a more severe punishment. But it should be more physiological treatment then prison time. Why is it the people become so outraged over simply accidentally mistreating an animal?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 3:45:01 PM
At 3/1/2015 1:21:19 PM, SamStevens wrote:
I was wondering why the news makes a huge deal out of a person mistreating an animal. Now I don't support animal abuse or saying that what they did was ok. But at the same time, I feel as though it gets way more attention then it should. I mean if a person leaves their dog in a hot car and it dies it becomes a highly debated subject and that person is hugely fined or even sent to prison. To me this seems a bit extreme.

Correct. That punishment is very extreme. Instead, the person who left their dog to die of heat exhaustion in their car should be placed inside of a Brazen Bull.(http://en.wikipedia.org...)

Obviously they should be punished, but i don't think it should be that extreme. Especially for an accident like leaving it in a car. Now if the person is purposefully mistreating an animal they deserve a more severe punishment. But it should be more physiological treatment then prison time. Why is it the people become so outraged over simply accidentally mistreating an animal?

I really hope this is fake. Putting someone in a brazen bull. Seriously? I mean its a dog! i understand some people are attached to their pets. But cooking them alive seems just a little extreme for forget a dog in a car.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 3:57:49 PM
At 3/1/2015 3:45:01 PM, Rubikx wrote:
At 3/1/2015 1:21:19 PM, SamStevens wrote:

I really hope this is fake. Putting someone in a brazen bull. Seriously? I mean its a dog! i understand some people are attached to their pets. But cooking them alive seems just a little extreme for forget a dog in a car.

I was joking around.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."