Total Posts:135|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I'm done arguing with feminists

Zarroette
Posts: 2,951
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I had a conversation yesterday at uni about feminism with a feminist. We were hanging around a coffee shop, and one of my friends introduced me to this girl with short, deep purple hair and black, thick glasses. Honestly, this kind of look repulses me, but I tried not to be too judgemental and was polite in greeting.

So anyway, we all (6 of us) sat down with our coffees and chatted about things. Of course, the feminist brought up feminist ideology on 'equal pay' and went on and on about how women are oppressed when they don't get paid the same amount. I let her know that the wage-gap pay is a myth that has been debunked repeatedly to the point several hours research can make that apparent. You know what she did? She called me, a girl, a misogynist; that I didn't understand because I hate women. That's just the most retarded thing I have ever heard. I told her, in a relatively even tone, that her response was an Ad Hominem attack (I know that it's a bit weird to be so formal in with irl discussions, but this was a serious topic so I was in a serious mode). So she then told me that I was "failing women by arguing against [her]". I just got up and left (after I called her "degenerate filth"). She yelled back at me but I just left.

I'd never really had a productive conversation with any feminist, but this one broke the camel's back. Really, as if I'm failing women by making a counter-argument? I'd understand if this wasn't the first time I'd had such an unpleasant exchange, but even really smart people like bluesteel, Oryus and Ore_Ele have all done similar things to a lesser extreme, whether it be Ad Hominem attacks, fleeing from conversation or tone-policing, there has never been any substance with any discussion on feminism or issues feminism has commentary on. And then to get labelled a mysoginist for having a different, well-supported conception of how women should behave makes me see these people as worthless, in regards to critical thought. The best conversations I've had have them addressing my points initially, but they ALWAYS eventually digress onto making women appear to be victims. Ultimately, all the feminist cares about is his/her feelings, and facts only exist to be distorted to suit the agenda. No feminist seems capable of seeing the world outside of this victim-complex.

This is such a waste of my time. From now on, I don't care what any feminist says, outside of perhaps the couple of noob-sniped debates I will have in the future for freelo. It's such a waste of time to go on and on about a ridiculous ideology that belongs in the zany pile with Communists, Fascists, hardlining Christians or Muslims, Stormfront racist Neo-nazis that merely shout slogans and Anarchists. They're all ideologies that can only be accepted via emotions, rather than sustained critique.

From now on, I'm just going to focus on what I think is a more reasonable ideology to have, rather than purely debate and debunk these zealots. I'm interested in understanding what it means to be a girl and how to improve myself. I'm no longer interested in refuting for the 30th time the idea that men and women are equal, that differences between men and women either don't exist or are not relevant (that we should treat everyone the same). I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

I think it's about time people stop giving these time-sinks attention, and thereby stopping the feeding of the victim-complex that perpetuates this nonsense.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 11:42:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
You can tell when people don't believe the ideals they preach. They will use emotion to argue as opposed to pure logic.

Even otherwise smart people will use emotion to defend certain positions they hold. The emotion gives it away that they do not believe what they say.

The feminist you were talking to wasn't interested in a conversation. She has an agenda that must be pursued. Truth can not get in the way of somebody's agenda or ideology.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 11:46:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 11:42:31 AM, Wylted wrote:
You can tell when people don't believe the ideals they preach. They will use emotion to argue as opposed to pure logic.

Even otherwise smart people will use emotion to defend certain positions they hold. The emotion gives it away that they do not believe what they say.

The feminist you were talking to wasn't interested in a conversation. She has an agenda that must be pursued. Truth can not get in the way of somebody's agenda or ideology.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

Wut?
I'd say emotion is proof they do believe what they say, and they just have no reason (or ability) to defend their position except that they believe it.
My work here is, finally, done.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 11:54:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 11:46:55 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/10/2015 11:42:31 AM, Wylted wrote:
You can tell when people don't believe the ideals they preach. They will use emotion to argue as opposed to pure logic.

Even otherwise smart people will use emotion to defend certain positions they hold. The emotion gives it away that they do not believe what they say.

The feminist you were talking to wasn't interested in a conversation. She has an agenda that must be pursued. Truth can not get in the way of somebody's agenda or ideology.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

Wut?
I'd say emotion is proof they do believe what they say, and they just have no reason (or ability) to defend their position except that they believe it.

I assume they defend it because they are emotionally attached to that position. It is that cave man urge to belong to a group.

If you are correct you can just calmly and coldly quote stats, figures and logical arguments. The emotion is meant to replace logic.

if you know that you are correct why would you be emotional. You know you are correct, you should be cold and emotionless. You don't need to cheat to win arguments by bringing emotions into them.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 11:59:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 11:54:04 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 3/10/2015 11:46:55 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/10/2015 11:42:31 AM, Wylted wrote:
You can tell when people don't believe the ideals they preach. They will use emotion to argue as opposed to pure logic.

Even otherwise smart people will use emotion to defend certain positions they hold. The emotion gives it away that they do not believe what they say.

The feminist you were talking to wasn't interested in a conversation. She has an agenda that must be pursued. Truth can not get in the way of somebody's agenda or ideology.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

Wut?
I'd say emotion is proof they do believe what they say, and they just have no reason (or ability) to defend their position except that they believe it.

I assume they defend it because they are emotionally attached to that position. It is that cave man urge to belong to a group.

If you are correct you can just calmly and coldly quote stats, figures and logical arguments. The emotion is meant to replace logic.

if you know that you are correct why would you be emotional. You know you are correct, you should be cold and emotionless. You don't need to cheat to win arguments by bringing emotions into them.

This misses the point. The fact that I cannot or do not defend my position is not proof that I do not believe my position. I may have no reason to believe it, but I do. Logic my be on your side, but I believe it.
How many battered wives ought to know their husband is a piece of sh!t, but they still love him and make excuses for him? Whatever reason, they believe (or want to believe) their position.

Yes, people should use logic, but they don't. A good chunk of people rely on emotion or other non-arguments to form their opinions. The issue isn't who is right, but what people believe to be right.
My work here is, finally, done.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 12:13:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 11:59:10 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/10/2015 11:54:04 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 3/10/2015 11:46:55 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/10/2015 11:42:31 AM, Wylted wrote:
You can tell when people don't believe the ideals they preach. They will use emotion to argue as opposed to pure logic.

Even otherwise smart people will use emotion to defend certain positions they hold. The emotion gives it away that they do not believe what they say.

The feminist you were talking to wasn't interested in a conversation. She has an agenda that must be pursued. Truth can not get in the way of somebody's agenda or ideology.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

Wut?
I'd say emotion is proof they do believe what they say, and they just have no reason (or ability) to defend their position except that they believe it.

I assume they defend it because they are emotionally attached to that position. It is that cave man urge to belong to a group.

If you are correct you can just calmly and coldly quote stats, figures and logical arguments. The emotion is meant to replace logic.

if you know that you are correct why would you be emotional. You know you are correct, you should be cold and emotionless. You don't need to cheat to win arguments by bringing emotions into them.

This misses the point. The fact that I cannot or do not defend my position is not proof that I do not believe my position. I may have no reason to believe it, but I do. Logic my be on your side, but I believe it.
How many battered wives ought to know their husband is a piece of sh!t, but they still love him and make excuses for him? Whatever reason, they believe (or want to believe) their position.

I'd argue that they defend him as a survival mechanism, but internally they know he is a piece of shitt.


Yes, people should use logic, but they don't. A good chunk of people rely on emotion or other non-arguments to form their opinions. The issue isn't who is right, but what people believe to be right.

Well the statement is one size fits all. Typically a logical person argues with emotion, when they know they are wrong. I have no ideal how idiots that form their opinions based on emotions or other obvious biases, think.

I take back my original statement, and amend it.

New amended statement:

Lots of times people who have an agenda will use emotions to argue because they are after a result and not the truth. The girl's statement that you were hurting women by taking your position is a key indicator that she is pursuing an agenda and the truth is irrelevant to her.

You are right that it is best to just not engage with the willfully ignorant.

Often times smart people will use emotions to argue, when they are wrong as well. You listed a few that may or may not be doing that (I haven't seen what they said in relation to this subject). If they are arguing with what you feel is emotion than chances are they know they are incorrect and are just trying to save face.

It is really hard to admit facts when they don't line up with your philosophy or ideology. It is a cognitive bias most people have. They typically are aware of this bias on a certain level and just try to suppress it.

Other people that fall outside of the range of intelligent people or ideologues may believe what they say is true but intelligent people know they are wrong and ideologues don't care that they are wrong.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio
GamrDeb8rBbrH8r
Posts: 341
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 12:51:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 11:42:31 AM, Wylted wrote:
You can tell when people don't believe the ideals they preach. They will use emotion to argue as opposed to pure logic.

False. Christians honestly believe what they say but will burst out in emotion.


Even otherwise smart people will use emotion to defend certain positions they hold. The emotion gives it away that they do not believe what they say.

The feminist you were talking to wasn't interested in a conversation. She has an agenda that must be pursued. Truth can not get in the way of somebody's agenda or ideology.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio
"There's no diversity because we're burning in the melting pot."

-Immortal Technique

Rap battle VS Truth_Seeker: http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 5:50:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:
I had a conversation yesterday at uni about feminism with a feminist. We were hanging around a coffee shop, and one of my friends introduced me to this girl with short, deep purple hair and black, thick glasses. Honestly, this kind of look repulses me, but I tried not to be too judgemental and was polite in greeting.

So anyway, we all (6 of us) sat down with our coffees and chatted about things. Of course, the feminist brought up feminist ideology on 'equal pay' and went on and on about how women are oppressed when they don't get paid the same amount. I let her know that the wage-gap pay is a myth that has been debunked repeatedly to the point several hours research can make that apparent. You know what she did? She called me, a girl, a misogynist; that I didn't understand because I hate women. That's just the most retarded thing I have ever heard. I told her, in a relatively even tone, that her response was an Ad Hominem attack (I know that it's a bit weird to be so formal in with irl discussions, but this was a serious topic so I was in a serious mode). So she then told me that I was "failing women by arguing against [her]". I just got up and left (after I called her "degenerate filth"). She yelled back at me but I just left.

I see valid rants on Reddit about radical feminists who won't let anyone question their position without calling them a misogynist. But screaming at someone that they are "degenerate filth" and storming off just makes you the MRA equivalent of the feminists people b!tch about on Reddit.


I'd never really had a productive conversation with any feminist, but this one broke the camel's back. Really, as if I'm failing women by making a counter-argument? I'd understand if this wasn't the first time I'd had such an unpleasant exchange, but even really smart people like bluesteel, Oryus and Ore_Ele have all done similar things to a lesser extreme, whether it be Ad Hominem attacks, fleeing from conversation or tone-policing, there has never been any substance with any discussion on feminism or issues feminism has commentary on.

lol, it's not that any of us treat feminism like a religion. I'm not a strong feminist. I don't believe in late term abortions or that the pay gap is all that significant, if you account for the fact that men take riskier jobs, with longer hours, that require more travel. The real reason that every discussion with you devolves into madness is ... well ... you. Most people would consider me, Oryus, and Ore_Ele eminently reasonable people. I'll just refer you to Einstein's definition of insanity. At some point when you try time and time again to have productive discussions with reasonable people and are unable to, you have to realize that the only factor that hasn't changed is you.

And then to get labelled a mysoginist for having a different, well-supported conception of how women should behave makes me see these people as worthless, in regards to critical thought. The best conversations I've had have them addressing my points initially, but they ALWAYS eventually digress onto making women appear to be victims. Ultimately, all the feminist cares about is his/her feelings, and facts only exist to be distorted to suit the agenda. No feminist seems capable of seeing the world outside of this victim-complex.

This is such a waste of my time. From now on, I don't care what any feminist says, outside of perhaps the couple of noob-sniped debates I will have in the future for freelo. It's such a waste of time to go on and on about a ridiculous ideology that belongs in the zany pile with Communists, Fascists, hardlining Christians or Muslims, Stormfront racist Neo-nazis that merely shout slogans and Anarchists. They're all ideologies that can only be accepted via emotions, rather than sustained critique.

That's an interesting analogy. Actually MRA's obsession with the evils of feminism is quite analogous to the United States obsession with finding communists under every bed. This little rant of yours is starting to sound like McCarthyism. Is Ore_Ele even a feminist? I've heard him express views sympathetic to MRA positions. You just want to find a feminist under every mattress.


From now on, I'm just going to focus on what I think is a more reasonable ideology to have, rather than purely debate and debunk these zealots. I'm interested in understanding what it means to be a girl and how to improve myself. I'm no longer interested in refuting for the 30th time the idea that men and women are equal, that differences between men and women either don't exist or are not relevant (that we should treat everyone the same). I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

Okay, block me cuz I responded to you.... That'll prove you're the mature one in the conversation.


I think it's about time people stop giving these time-sinks attention, and thereby stopping the feeding of the victim-complex that perpetuates this nonsense.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 6:08:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:
I had a conversation yesterday at uni about feminism with a feminist. We were hanging around a coffee shop, and one of my friends introduced me to this girl with short, deep purple hair and black, thick glasses. Honestly, this kind of look repulses me, but I tried not to be too judgemental and was polite in greeting.

So anyway, we all (6 of us) sat down with our coffees and chatted about things. Of course, the feminist brought up feminist ideology on 'equal pay' and went on and on about how women are oppressed when they don't get paid the same amount. I let her know that the wage-gap pay is a myth that has been debunked repeatedly to the point several hours research can make that apparent. You know what she did? She called me, a girl, a misogynist; that I didn't understand because I hate women. That's just the most retarded thing I have ever heard. I told her, in a relatively even tone, that her response was an Ad Hominem attack (I know that it's a bit weird to be so formal in with irl discussions, but this was a serious topic so I was in a serious mode). So she then told me that I was "failing women by arguing against [her]". I just got up and left (after I called her "degenerate filth"). She yelled back at me but I just left.

I'd never really had a productive conversation with any feminist, but this one broke the camel's back. Really, as if I'm failing women by making a counter-argument? I'd understand if this wasn't the first time I'd had such an unpleasant exchange, but even really smart people like bluesteel, Oryus and Ore_Ele have all done similar things to a lesser extreme, whether it be Ad Hominem attacks, fleeing from conversation or tone-policing, there has never been any substance with any discussion on feminism or issues feminism has commentary on. And then to get labelled a mysoginist for having a different, well-supported conception of how women should behave makes me see these people as worthless, in regards to critical thought. The best conversations I've had have them addressing my points initially, but they ALWAYS eventually digress onto making women appear to be victims. Ultimately, all the feminist cares about is his/her feelings, and facts only exist to be distorted to suit the agenda. No feminist seems capable of seeing the world outside of this victim-complex.

This is such a waste of my time. From now on, I don't care what any feminist says, outside of perhaps the couple of noob-sniped debates I will have in the future for freelo. It's such a waste of time to go on and on about a ridiculous ideology that belongs in the zany pile with Communists, Fascists, hardlining Christians or Muslims, Stormfront racist Neo-nazis that merely shout slogans and Anarchists. They're all ideologies that can only be accepted via emotions, rather than sustained critique.

From now on, I'm just going to focus on what I think is a more reasonable ideology to have, rather than purely debate and debunk these zealots. I'm interested in understanding what it means to be a girl and how to improve myself. I'm no longer interested in refuting for the 30th time the idea that men and women are equal, that differences between men and women either don't exist or are not relevant (that we should treat everyone the same). I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

I think it's about time people stop giving these time-sinks attention, and thereby stopping the feeding of the victim-complex that perpetuates this nonsense.

I'm looking to engage in discussion with a feminist. Do you know of any on this site?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 6:32:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 6:08:49 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:
I had a conversation yesterday at uni about feminism with a feminist. We were hanging around a coffee shop, and one of my friends introduced me to this girl with short, deep purple hair and black, thick glasses. Honestly, this kind of look repulses me, but I tried not to be too judgemental and was polite in greeting.

So anyway, we all (6 of us) sat down with our coffees and chatted about things. Of course, the feminist brought up feminist ideology on 'equal pay' and went on and on about how women are oppressed when they don't get paid the same amount. I let her know that the wage-gap pay is a myth that has been debunked repeatedly to the point several hours research can make that apparent. You know what she did? She called me, a girl, a misogynist; that I didn't understand because I hate women. That's just the most retarded thing I have ever heard. I told her, in a relatively even tone, that her response was an Ad Hominem attack (I know that it's a bit weird to be so formal in with irl discussions, but this was a serious topic so I was in a serious mode). So she then told me that I was "failing women by arguing against [her]". I just got up and left (after I called her "degenerate filth"). She yelled back at me but I just left.

I'd never really had a productive conversation with any feminist, but this one broke the camel's back. Really, as if I'm failing women by making a counter-argument? I'd understand if this wasn't the first time I'd had such an unpleasant exchange, but even really smart people like bluesteel, Oryus and Ore_Ele have all done similar things to a lesser extreme, whether it be Ad Hominem attacks, fleeing from conversation or tone-policing, there has never been any substance with any discussion on feminism or issues feminism has commentary on. And then to get labelled a mysoginist for having a different, well-supported conception of how women should behave makes me see these people as worthless, in regards to critical thought. The best conversations I've had have them addressing my points initially, but they ALWAYS eventually digress onto making women appear to be victims. Ultimately, all the feminist cares about is his/her feelings, and facts only exist to be distorted to suit the agenda. No feminist seems capable of seeing the world outside of this victim-complex.

This is such a waste of my time. From now on, I don't care what any feminist says, outside of perhaps the couple of noob-sniped debates I will have in the future for freelo. It's such a waste of time to go on and on about a ridiculous ideology that belongs in the zany pile with Communists, Fascists, hardlining Christians or Muslims, Stormfront racist Neo-nazis that merely shout slogans and Anarchists. They're all ideologies that can only be accepted via emotions, rather than sustained critique.

From now on, I'm just going to focus on what I think is a more reasonable ideology to have, rather than purely debate and debunk these zealots. I'm interested in understanding what it means to be a girl and how to improve myself. I'm no longer interested in refuting for the 30th time the idea that men and women are equal, that differences between men and women either don't exist or are not relevant (that we should treat everyone the same). I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

I think it's about time people stop giving these time-sinks attention, and thereby stopping the feeding of the victim-complex that perpetuates this nonsense.

I'm looking to engage in discussion with a feminist. Do you know of any on this site?

Just find a liberal progressive and there's a fair chance they'll be a feminist.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 6:34:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 6:32:21 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 3/10/2015 6:08:49 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:
I had a conversation yesterday at uni about feminism with a feminist. We were hanging around a coffee shop, and one of my friends introduced me to this girl with short, deep purple hair and black, thick glasses. Honestly, this kind of look repulses me, but I tried not to be too judgemental and was polite in greeting.

So anyway, we all (6 of us) sat down with our coffees and chatted about things. Of course, the feminist brought up feminist ideology on 'equal pay' and went on and on about how women are oppressed when they don't get paid the same amount. I let her know that the wage-gap pay is a myth that has been debunked repeatedly to the point several hours research can make that apparent. You know what she did? She called me, a girl, a misogynist; that I didn't understand because I hate women. That's just the most retarded thing I have ever heard. I told her, in a relatively even tone, that her response was an Ad Hominem attack (I know that it's a bit weird to be so formal in with irl discussions, but this was a serious topic so I was in a serious mode). So she then told me that I was "failing women by arguing against [her]". I just got up and left (after I called her "degenerate filth"). She yelled back at me but I just left.

I'd never really had a productive conversation with any feminist, but this one broke the camel's back. Really, as if I'm failing women by making a counter-argument? I'd understand if this wasn't the first time I'd had such an unpleasant exchange, but even really smart people like bluesteel, Oryus and Ore_Ele have all done similar things to a lesser extreme, whether it be Ad Hominem attacks, fleeing from conversation or tone-policing, there has never been any substance with any discussion on feminism or issues feminism has commentary on. And then to get labelled a mysoginist for having a different, well-supported conception of how women should behave makes me see these people as worthless, in regards to critical thought. The best conversations I've had have them addressing my points initially, but they ALWAYS eventually digress onto making women appear to be victims. Ultimately, all the feminist cares about is his/her feelings, and facts only exist to be distorted to suit the agenda. No feminist seems capable of seeing the world outside of this victim-complex.

This is such a waste of my time. From now on, I don't care what any feminist says, outside of perhaps the couple of noob-sniped debates I will have in the future for freelo. It's such a waste of time to go on and on about a ridiculous ideology that belongs in the zany pile with Communists, Fascists, hardlining Christians or Muslims, Stormfront racist Neo-nazis that merely shout slogans and Anarchists. They're all ideologies that can only be accepted via emotions, rather than sustained critique.

From now on, I'm just going to focus on what I think is a more reasonable ideology to have, rather than purely debate and debunk these zealots. I'm interested in understanding what it means to be a girl and how to improve myself. I'm no longer interested in refuting for the 30th time the idea that men and women are equal, that differences between men and women either don't exist or are not relevant (that we should treat everyone the same). I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

I think it's about time people stop giving these time-sinks attention, and thereby stopping the feeding of the victim-complex that perpetuates this nonsense.

I'm looking to engage in discussion with a feminist. Do you know of any on this site?

Just find a liberal progressive and there's a fair chance they'll be a feminist.

Okay, thank you for the information.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 6:48:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:
I had a conversation yesterday at uni about feminism with a feminist. We were hanging around a coffee shop, and one of my friends introduced me to this girl with short, deep purple hair and black, thick glasses. Honestly, this kind of look repulses me, but I tried not to be too judgemental and was polite in greeting.
Eh. The whole barista look has it's charms for some men. Are those men weird? Yes. But they defiantly exist. Nevertheless, I cannot condem your disliking of people's appearances as I certainly do not hide my distaste of the ugly.
So anyway, we all (6 of us) sat down with our coffees and chatted about things. Of course, the feminist brought up feminist ideology on 'equal pay' and went on and on about how women are oppressed when they don't get paid the same amount. I let her know that the wage-gap pay is a myth that has been debunked repeatedly to the point several hours research can make that apparent. You know what she did? She called me, a girl, a misogynist; that I didn't understand because I hate women.
This kind of thing can be fixed by changing your presence.
If you get a "Don't fvck with me" aura, this kind of thing stops happening.
Occasionally, there are outsiders who don't know better at first. Then self preservation kicks in and they leave.
That's just the most retarded thing I have ever heard. I told her, in a relatively even tone, that her response was an Ad Hominem attack (I know that it's a bit weird to be so formal in with irl discussions, but this was a serious topic so I was in a serious mode). So she then told me that I was "failing women by arguing against [her]". I just got up and left (after I called her "degenerate filth"). She yelled back at me but I just left.
"after I called her 'degenerate filth'"
I'm not even going to attack this paragraph.
Instead, I'm simply going to leave a slow clap for this quote.
*Slow Clap*
I'd never really had a productive conversation with any feminist, but this one broke the camel's back. Really, as if I'm failing women by making a counter-argument? I'd understand if this wasn't the first time I'd had such an unpleasant exchange, but even really smart people like bluesteel, Oryus and Ore_Ele have all done similar things to a lesser extreme, whether it be Ad Hominem attacks, fleeing from conversation or tone-policing, there has never been any substance with any discussion on feminism or issues feminism has commentary on. And then to get labelled a mysoginist for having a different, well-supported conception of how women should behave makes me see these people as worthless, in regards to critical thought. The best conversations I've had have them addressing my points initially, but they ALWAYS eventually digress onto making women appear to be victims. Ultimately, all the feminist cares about is his/her feelings, and facts only exist to be distorted to suit the agenda. No feminist seems capable of seeing the world outside of this victim-complex.
This is... sometimes true.

On one side, there is my teacher. She is able to go on for days about the benefits of a feminist ideology and demanded respect as well as any man in my school. Yet she always did so without whining. She used facts to back her opinions such as the clear favoritism towards upperclass, white, protestant males in America. Her having been raised in Lebanon made this even more surprising. Though, I'm almost certain she's an atheist now and she's since become a humanist.

On another side... we have my classmate I'm forced to spend six horrible hours with every Wednesday. Not one case I've attempted to debate with her has ended well. Eventually, she just starts calling me a Nazi (purely because of me being German and despite me being Black) or running in circles. The icing on the cake is her wishing to become a Federal Agent as I do despite being in horrible shape and having no sense of duty. she simply want's to do it because she "has always liked dead people and enjoys working with dead bodies." I'm not going to lie... sometimes when she speaks... I imagine taking my knife and stabbing myself, just to receive some relief from her talking. And sometimes I do just start tracing over my arms and counting the hours.

This is such a waste of my time. From now on, I don't care what any feminist says, outside of perhaps the couple of noob-sniped debates I will have in the future for freelo. It's such a waste of time to go on and on about a ridiculous ideology that belongs in the zany pile with Communists, Fascists, hardlining Christians or Muslims, Stormfront racist Neo-nazis that merely shout slogans and Anarchists. They're all ideologies that can only be accepted via emotions, rather than sustained critique.
This isn't a healthy way to handle things. Ignoring an ideology you do not agree with only puts strain on yourself, when said ideology is so widespread.
From now on, I'm just going to focus on what I think is a more reasonable ideology to have, rather than purely debate and debunk these zealots. I'm interested in understanding what it means to be a girl and how to improve myself. I'm no longer interested in refuting for the 30th time the idea that men and women are equal, that differences between men and women either don't exist or are not relevant (that we should treat everyone the same). I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.
I'd like Feminist Rhetoric defined.
I think it's about time people stop giving these time-sinks attention, and thereby stopping the feeding of the victim-complex that perpetuates this nonsense.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Zarroette
Posts: 2,951
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 7:39:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 5:50:18 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:
I had a conversation yesterday at uni about feminism with a feminist. We were hanging around a coffee shop, and one of my friends introduced me to this girl with short, deep purple hair and black, thick glasses. Honestly, this kind of look repulses me, but I tried not to be too judgemental and was polite in greeting.

So anyway, we all (6 of us) sat down with our coffees and chatted about things. Of course, the feminist brought up feminist ideology on 'equal pay' and went on and on about how women are oppressed when they don't get paid the same amount. I let her know that the wage-gap pay is a myth that has been debunked repeatedly to the point several hours research can make that apparent. You know what she did? She called me, a girl, a misogynist; that I didn't understand because I hate women. That's just the most retarded thing I have ever heard. I told her, in a relatively even tone, that her response was an Ad Hominem attack (I know that it's a bit weird to be so formal in with irl discussions, but this was a serious topic so I was in a serious mode). So she then told me that I was "failing women by arguing against [her]". I just got up and left (after I called her "degenerate filth"). She yelled back at me but I just left.

I see valid rants on Reddit about radical feminists who won't let anyone question their position without calling them a misogynist. But screaming at someone that they are "degenerate filth" and storming off just makes you the MRA equivalent of the feminists people b!tch about on Reddit.

I didn't scream at her and I didn't storm off. I just don't like my time being wasted by damaged people.



I'd never really had a productive conversation with any feminist, but this one broke the camel's back. Really, as if I'm failing women by making a counter-argument? I'd understand if this wasn't the first time I'd had such an unpleasant exchange, but even really smart people like bluesteel, Oryus and Ore_Ele have all done similar things to a lesser extreme, whether it be Ad Hominem attacks, fleeing from conversation or tone-policing, there has never been any substance with any discussion on feminism or issues feminism has commentary on.

lol, it's not that any of us treat feminism like a religion. I'm not a strong feminist. I don't believe in late term abortions or that the pay gap is all that significant, if you account for the fact that men take riskier jobs, with longer hours, that require more travel. The real reason that every discussion with you devolves into madness is ... well ... you.

You've already resorted to personal insults with your garbage pathology, and the saddest thing about this is that you're the most capable of anyone on here of posing an actual argument. Shameful.

Most people would consider me, Oryus, and Ore_Ele eminently reasonable people.

I never said you people weren't, I just said that you're feminist positions are a waste of my time due to the tactics involved. If you remember correctly, I have listened to you countless times when you gave me debate advice. I just don't want to hear your garbage feminist arguments anymore, so please keep those to yourself or I will block you. I think you're all intelligent, reasonable people, fyi.

I'll just refer you to Einstein's definition of insanity. At some point when you try time and time again to have productive discussions with reasonable people and are unable to, you have to realize that the only factor that hasn't changed is you.

Your premise is insane. Do you think that this short-haired feminist was a "reasonable person?" Clearly, it's the topic of feminism I vehemently oppose, not the people. I just don't want people wasting my time with feminist bs anymore, so if they continue to spout it, I will block them.

And then to get labelled a mysoginist for having a different, well-supported conception of how women should behave makes me see these people as worthless, in regards to critical thought. The best conversations I've had have them addressing my points initially, but they ALWAYS eventually digress onto making women appear to be victims. Ultimately, all the feminist cares about is his/her feelings, and facts only exist to be distorted to suit the agenda. No feminist seems capable of seeing the world outside of this victim-complex.

This is such a waste of my time. From now on, I don't care what any feminist says, outside of perhaps the couple of noob-sniped debates I will have in the future for freelo. It's such a waste of time to go on and on about a ridiculous ideology that belongs in the zany pile with Communists, Fascists, hardlining Christians or Muslims, Stormfront racist Neo-nazis that merely shout slogans and Anarchists. They're all ideologies that can only be accepted via emotions, rather than sustained critique.

That's an interesting analogy. Actually MRA's obsession with the evils of feminism is quite analogous to the United States obsession with finding communists under every bed. This little rant of yours is starting to sound like McCarthyism. Is Ore_Ele even a feminist? I've heard him express views sympathetic to MRA positions. You just want to find a feminist under every mattress.

Mmm great: tone-policing. If you argued this poorly in debates, I would maul you.



From now on, I'm just going to focus on what I think is a more reasonable ideology to have, rather than purely debate and debunk these zealots. I'm interested in understanding what it means to be a girl and how to improve myself. I'm no longer interested in refuting for the 30th time the idea that men and women are equal, that differences between men and women either don't exist or are not relevant (that we should treat everyone the same). I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

Okay, block me cuz I responded to you

I said I would block you if you used feminist rhetoric, not because you merely responded to me. I would like to have conversations with you, but I'm not going to tolerate feminist garbage or you constantly insulting me and implying that the problem with all my arguments is my temper/my past/ whatever you decide to attack that is personal.

.... That'll prove you're the mature one in the conversation.

I'm really considering blocking you, despite you not using feminist rhetoric. This is just an irrelevant digression and another waste of my time. Make strong, constructive arguments like I know you're capable of or get the f*ck out of my sight.


I think it's about time people stop giving these time-sinks attention, and thereby stopping the feeding of the victim-complex that perpetuates this nonsense.
Zarroette
Posts: 2,951
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 7:57:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 6:48:49 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:
I had a conversation yesterday at uni about feminism with a feminist. We were hanging around a coffee shop, and one of my friends introduced me to this girl with short, deep purple hair and black, thick glasses. Honestly, this kind of look repulses me, but I tried not to be too judgemental and was polite in greeting.
Eh. The whole barista look has it's charms for some men. Are those men weird? Yes. But they defiantly exist. Nevertheless, I cannot condem your disliking of people's appearances as I certainly do not hide my distaste of the ugly.
So anyway, we all (6 of us) sat down with our coffees and chatted about things. Of course, the feminist brought up feminist ideology on 'equal pay' and went on and on about how women are oppressed when they don't get paid the same amount. I let her know that the wage-gap pay is a myth that has been debunked repeatedly to the point several hours research can make that apparent. You know what she did? She called me, a girl, a misogynist; that I didn't understand because I hate women.
This kind of thing can be fixed by changing your presence.
If you get a "Don't fvck with me" aura, this kind of thing stops happening.
Occasionally, there are outsiders who don't know better at first. Then self preservation kicks in and they leave.

I'm not a man. I don't want this kind of bad-boy, intimidation aura that keeps people away. I just want to be myself without having to put on some fake persona on the chance that other people want to do things to me. I handled myself just fine when this person tried to stuff me around.

That's just the most retarded thing I have ever heard. I told her, in a relatively even tone, that her response was an Ad Hominem attack (I know that it's a bit weird to be so formal in with irl discussions, but this was a serious topic so I was in a serious mode). So she then told me that I was "failing women by arguing against [her]". I just got up and left (after I called her "degenerate filth"). She yelled back at me but I just left.
"after I called her 'degenerate filth'"
I'm not even going to attack this paragraph.
Instead, I'm simply going to leave a slow clap for this quote.
*Slow Clap*

What is there to attack?

I'd never really had a productive conversation with any feminist, but this one broke the camel's back. Really, as if I'm failing women by making a counter-argument? I'd understand if this wasn't the first time I'd had such an unpleasant exchange, but even really smart people like bluesteel, Oryus and Ore_Ele have all done similar things to a lesser extreme, whether it be Ad Hominem attacks, fleeing from conversation or tone-policing, there has never been any substance with any discussion on feminism or issues feminism has commentary on. And then to get labelled a mysoginist for having a different, well-supported conception of how women should behave makes me see these people as worthless, in regards to critical thought. The best conversations I've had have them addressing my points initially, but they ALWAYS eventually digress onto making women appear to be victims. Ultimately, all the feminist cares about is his/her feelings, and facts only exist to be distorted to suit the agenda. No feminist seems capable of seeing the world outside of this victim-complex.
This is... sometimes true.

On one side, there is my teacher. She is able to go on for days about the benefits of a feminist ideology and demanded respect as well as any man in my school. Yet she always did so without whining. She used facts to back her opinions such as the clear favoritism towards upperclass, white, protestant males in America.

It's all statistical manipulation. Granted, it's appealing on the surface, but if you dig around for a couple hours researching the point, you often find a counter-argument that highlights the flaws in the feminist's line of argument. Then, when you manage to construct an argument based on these findings, the feminist will resort to personal attacks and digression. Initially, there is constructive conversation. BUT it ALWAYS falls into lower tier argument tactics that are not constructive.

Her having been raised in Lebanon made this even more surprising. Though, I'm almost certain she's an atheist now and she's since become a humanist.

On another side... we have my classmate I'm forced to spend six horrible hours with every Wednesday. Not one case I've attempted to debate with her has ended well. Eventually, she just starts calling me a Nazi (purely because of me being German and despite me being Black) or running in circles. The icing on the cake is her wishing to become a Federal Agent as I do despite being in horrible shape and having no sense of duty. she simply want's to do it because she "has always liked dead people and enjoys working with dead bodies." I'm not going to lie... sometimes when she speaks... I imagine taking my knife and stabbing myself, just to receive some relief from her talking. And sometimes I do just start tracing over my arms and counting the hours.

This is what feminists are like at their core after you expose them.


This is such a waste of my time. From now on, I don't care what any feminist says, outside of perhaps the couple of noob-sniped debates I will have in the future for freelo. It's such a waste of time to go on and on about a ridiculous ideology that belongs in the zany pile with Communists, Fascists, hardlining Christians or Muslims, Stormfront racist Neo-nazis that merely shout slogans and Anarchists. They're all ideologies that can only be accepted via emotions, rather than sustained critique.
This isn't a healthy way to handle things. Ignoring an ideology you do not agree with only puts strain on yourself, when said ideology is so widespread.

Are you serious? Ignoring poisonous people is unhealthy? Get some life experience, kiddo.

From now on, I'm just going to focus on what I think is a more reasonable ideology to have, rather than purely debate and debunk these zealots. I'm interested in understanding what it means to be a girl and how to improve myself. I'm no longer interested in refuting for the 30th time the idea that men and women are equal, that differences between men and women either don't exist or are not relevant (that we should treat everyone the same). I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.
I'd like Feminist Rhetoric defined.

So, arguments from the distorted premises of feminism (e.g. all men are mysoginistic pigs, therefore x,y,z).

I think it's about time people stop giving these time-sinks attention, and thereby stopping the feeding of the victim-complex that perpetuates this nonsense.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 10:38:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:

[long rant]

I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

You don't seem particularly open to discussion.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Zarroette
Posts: 2,951
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 8:57:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 10:38:22 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:

[long rant]

I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

You don't seem particularly open to discussion.

I've already had the discussions. There is nothing more to learn from arguing with feminists.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 9:04:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:
I had a conversation yesterday at uni about feminism with a feminist. We were hanging around a coffee shop, and one of my friends introduced me to this girl with short, deep purple hair and black, thick glasses. Honestly, this kind of look repulses me, but I tried not to be too judgemental and was polite in greeting.

So anyway, we all (6 of us) sat down with our coffees and chatted about things. Of course, the feminist brought up feminist ideology on 'equal pay' and went on and on about how women are oppressed when they don't get paid the same amount. I let her know that the wage-gap pay is a myth that has been debunked repeatedly to the point several hours research can make that apparent. You know what she did? She called me, a girl, a misogynist; that I didn't understand because I hate women. That's just the most retarded thing I have ever heard. I told her, in a relatively even tone, that her response was an Ad Hominem attack (I know that it's a bit weird to be so formal in with irl discussions, but this was a serious topic so I was in a serious mode). So she then told me that I was "failing women by arguing against [her]". I just got up and left (after I called her "degenerate filth"). She yelled back at me but I just left.

I'd never really had a productive conversation with any feminist, but this one broke the camel's back. Really, as if I'm failing women by making a counter-argument? I'd understand if this wasn't the first time I'd had such an unpleasant exchange, but even really smart people like bluesteel, Oryus and Ore_Ele have all done similar things to a lesser extreme, whether it be Ad Hominem attacks, fleeing from conversation or tone-policing, there has never been any substance with any discussion on feminism or issues feminism has commentary on. And then to get labelled a mysoginist for having a different, well-supported conception of how women should behave makes me see these people as worthless, in regards to critical thought. The best conversations I've had have them addressing my points initially, but they ALWAYS eventually digress onto making women appear to be victims. Ultimately, all the feminist cares about is his/her feelings, and facts only exist to be distorted to suit the agenda. No feminist seems capable of seeing the world outside of this victim-complex.

This is such a waste of my time. From now on, I don't care what any feminist says, outside of perhaps the couple of noob-sniped debates I will have in the future for freelo. It's such a waste of time to go on and on about a ridiculous ideology that belongs in the zany pile with Communists, Fascists, hardlining Christians or Muslims, Stormfront racist Neo-nazis that merely shout slogans and Anarchists. They're all ideologies that can only be accepted via emotions, rather than sustained critique.

From now on, I'm just going to focus on what I think is a more reasonable ideology to have, rather than purely debate and debunk these zealots. I'm interested in understanding what it means to be a girl and how to improve myself. I'm no longer interested in refuting for the 30th time the idea that men and women are equal, that differences between men and women either don't exist or are not relevant (that we should treat everyone the same). I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

I think it's about time people stop giving these time-sinks attention, and thereby stopping the feeding of the victim-complex that perpetuates this nonsense.

"You're failing women"
That's like saying that white people are "failing" white people by arguing against the KKK, lol.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Zarroette
Posts: 2,951
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 9:12:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/11/2015 9:04:38 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:
I had a conversation yesterday at uni about feminism with a feminist. We were hanging around a coffee shop, and one of my friends introduced me to this girl with short, deep purple hair and black, thick glasses. Honestly, this kind of look repulses me, but I tried not to be too judgemental and was polite in greeting.

So anyway, we all (6 of us) sat down with our coffees and chatted about things. Of course, the feminist brought up feminist ideology on 'equal pay' and went on and on about how women are oppressed when they don't get paid the same amount. I let her know that the wage-gap pay is a myth that has been debunked repeatedly to the point several hours research can make that apparent. You know what she did? She called me, a girl, a misogynist; that I didn't understand because I hate women. That's just the most retarded thing I have ever heard. I told her, in a relatively even tone, that her response was an Ad Hominem attack (I know that it's a bit weird to be so formal in with irl discussions, but this was a serious topic so I was in a serious mode). So she then told me that I was "failing women by arguing against [her]". I just got up and left (after I called her "degenerate filth"). She yelled back at me but I just left.

I'd never really had a productive conversation with any feminist, but this one broke the camel's back. Really, as if I'm failing women by making a counter-argument? I'd understand if this wasn't the first time I'd had such an unpleasant exchange, but even really smart people like bluesteel, Oryus and Ore_Ele have all done similar things to a lesser extreme, whether it be Ad Hominem attacks, fleeing from conversation or tone-policing, there has never been any substance with any discussion on feminism or issues feminism has commentary on. And then to get labelled a mysoginist for having a different, well-supported conception of how women should behave makes me see these people as worthless, in regards to critical thought. The best conversations I've had have them addressing my points initially, but they ALWAYS eventually digress onto making women appear to be victims. Ultimately, all the feminist cares about is his/her feelings, and facts only exist to be distorted to suit the agenda. No feminist seems capable of seeing the world outside of this victim-complex.

This is such a waste of my time. From now on, I don't care what any feminist says, outside of perhaps the couple of noob-sniped debates I will have in the future for freelo. It's such a waste of time to go on and on about a ridiculous ideology that belongs in the zany pile with Communists, Fascists, hardlining Christians or Muslims, Stormfront racist Neo-nazis that merely shout slogans and Anarchists. They're all ideologies that can only be accepted via emotions, rather than sustained critique.

From now on, I'm just going to focus on what I think is a more reasonable ideology to have, rather than purely debate and debunk these zealots. I'm interested in understanding what it means to be a girl and how to improve myself. I'm no longer interested in refuting for the 30th time the idea that men and women are equal, that differences between men and women either don't exist or are not relevant (that we should treat everyone the same). I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

I think it's about time people stop giving these time-sinks attention, and thereby stopping the feeding of the victim-complex that perpetuates this nonsense.

"You're failing women"
That's like saying that white people are "failing" white people by arguing against the KKK, lol.

Yeah, great analogy! It highlights how insane it is. I mean, what do you even say to this? I tried explaining to Oryus, who is probably the brightest feminist I have spoken to, how her point of view is completely screwed, hence these warped conclusions. But she just ran away! There's no hope with this zealot, hard-lining feminist I met in real life...
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 10:06:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/11/2015 8:57:35 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/10/2015 10:38:22 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:

[long rant]

I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

You don't seem particularly open to discussion.

I've already had the discussions. There is nothing more to learn from arguing with feminists.

It sounds like all you're looking for is confirmation bias.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Zarroette
Posts: 2,951
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 10:50:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/11/2015 10:03:22 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
Who the hell argues against feminism?

Do you argue against the civil rights movement as well?

Oh yeah, buddy. When I argue against one version, I argue against every version. When I criticise one colour, I'm actually criticising every colour, because conflation fallacy doesn't exist.
Zarroette
Posts: 2,951
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 10:50:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/11/2015 10:06:32 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/11/2015 8:57:35 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/10/2015 10:38:22 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:

[long rant]

I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

You don't seem particularly open to discussion.

I've already had the discussions. There is nothing more to learn from arguing with feminists.

It sounds like all you're looking for is confirmation bias.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion =)
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 10:51:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/11/2015 10:50:31 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/11/2015 10:06:32 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/11/2015 8:57:35 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/10/2015 10:38:22 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:

[long rant]

I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

You don't seem particularly open to discussion.

I've already had the discussions. There is nothing more to learn from arguing with feminists.

It sounds like all you're looking for is confirmation bias.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion =)

In this case, that's actually what you're entitled to.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Zarroette
Posts: 2,951
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 10:52:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/11/2015 10:51:39 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/11/2015 10:50:31 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/11/2015 10:06:32 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/11/2015 8:57:35 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/10/2015 10:38:22 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:

[long rant]

I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

You don't seem particularly open to discussion.

I've already had the discussions. There is nothing more to learn from arguing with feminists.

It sounds like all you're looking for is confirmation bias.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion =)

In this case, that's actually what you're entitled to.

Prove that I'm wrong here.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 10:53:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/11/2015 10:52:50 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/11/2015 10:51:39 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/11/2015 10:50:31 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/11/2015 10:06:32 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/11/2015 8:57:35 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/10/2015 10:38:22 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:

[long rant]

I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

You don't seem particularly open to discussion.

I've already had the discussions. There is nothing more to learn from arguing with feminists.

It sounds like all you're looking for is confirmation bias.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion =)

In this case, that's actually what you're entitled to.

Prove that I'm wrong here.

You first.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Zarroette
Posts: 2,951
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 10:56:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/11/2015 10:53:13 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/11/2015 10:52:50 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/11/2015 10:51:39 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/11/2015 10:50:31 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/11/2015 10:06:32 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/11/2015 8:57:35 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/10/2015 10:38:22 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:

[long rant]

I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

You don't seem particularly open to discussion.

I've already had the discussions. There is nothing more to learn from arguing with feminists.

It sounds like all you're looking for is confirmation bias.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion =)

In this case, that's actually what you're entitled to.

Prove that I'm wrong here.

You first.

No. You made the claim that:

(1) It looks like I'm looking for confirmation bias

You have the burden of proof to show that this is the case, not me.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 10:56:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/11/2015 10:52:50 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/11/2015 10:51:39 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/11/2015 10:50:31 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/11/2015 10:06:32 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/11/2015 8:57:35 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 3/10/2015 10:38:22 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/10/2015 12:51:06 AM, Zarroette wrote:

[long rant]

I'll happily discuss this with a non-feminist, but upon knowing that you are a feminist, I will ignore you and block you if you decide to respond to anything I say with feminist rhetoric.

You don't seem particularly open to discussion.

I've already had the discussions. There is nothing more to learn from arguing with feminists.

It sounds like all you're looking for is confirmation bias.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion =)

In this case, that's actually what you're entitled to.

Prove that I'm wrong here.

Actually, this is fairly simple.

You are not amenable to listening to dissenting opinions. I'm saying that all you are looking for then is opinions agreeable to your position. This is confirmation bias.

You say that I am wrong in calling it confirmation bias, even though that's definitionally what you're seeking (http://www.sciencedaily.com...). Thus, the proof you're looking for that you're wrong.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?