Jump to topic:

Clothes

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 3:33:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why are clothes required? And why are there double standards? Girls tend to not be allowed to walk around topless, cause that's illegal, but guys can.

Why do you have to wear clothes? I don't think clothes should be forced. I think people should be allowed to wear as much or as little as they want and even no clothes at all.

I've been pretty curious on this subject for years and got kicked out of church for asking it. Well really I said clothes weren't neccisary, especially when its really hot outside and they do more harm then good. The youth group teacher just said "You need clothes to live" I asked why and he basically said (only in church appropriate terms) "Are you serious? GTFO!"

So, I really want to know some actual truth to this. If you want to be completely covered, your choice, if you want no covering, why is that not a choice? The more something becomes a taboo, the more people try and seek it.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 3:50:04 PM
At 7/17/2010 3:34:53 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There tends to be alot of double standards. Women can walk around dressed like sluts yet things like the burqa are banned.

I think every one should have the right to where whatever they want, or nothing at all.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 3:50:45 PM
At 7/17/2010 3:36:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Clothes are required?

This is new information for me. I should put some on.

If your in public. You can be thrown in jail for indecent exposure
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 3:51:20 PM
At 7/17/2010 3:50:04 PM, lovelife wrote:
There tends to be alot of double standards. Women can walk around dressed like sluts yet things like the burqa are banned.

I think every one should have the right to where whatever they want, or nothing at all.

Exactly. If they're going to ban burqas then maybe they should ban slutty clothes as well. Why the double standards? ;)
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 3:53:37 PM
At 7/17/2010 3:33:22 PM, lovelife wrote:
Why are clothes required? And why are there double standards? Girls tend to not be allowed to walk around topless, cause that's illegal, but guys can.

Why do you have to wear clothes? I don't think clothes should be forced. I think people should be allowed to wear as much or as little as they want and even no clothes at all.

I've been pretty curious on this subject for years and got kicked out of church for asking it. Well really I said clothes weren't neccisary, especially when its really hot outside and they do more harm then good. The youth group teacher just said "You need clothes to live" I asked why and he basically said (only in church appropriate terms) "Are you serious? GTFO!"

So, I really want to know some actual truth to this. If you want to be completely covered, your choice, if you want no covering, why is that not a choice? The more something becomes a taboo, the more people try and seek it.

How about we all just keep our junk covered!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 3:54:20 PM
At 7/17/2010 3:51:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Exactly. If they're going to ban burqas then maybe they should ban slutty clothes as well. Why the double standards? ;)

... lame lol.
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 3:58:16 PM
At 7/17/2010 3:54:20 PM, theLwerd wrote:

... lame lol.

Nah, I'm just pointing out the obvious double standards.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 4:32:47 PM

because slutty clothes aren't a symbol of religious repression, nor do they conceal your identity and thus carry a risk of bank robbery etc. not that i think the burqa should be banned but to compare it to banning slutty clothes is to miss the reasoning behind the banning in the first place.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 4:39:08 PM

Girlz haz the b00bz. if a girl is topless, I get aroused. But women don't to the same extent with men, are at least not visibly.

Public decency. I know a lot of thing are offensive or whatever, but me and multiple men walking with my shlong out tops the list. it's a shared embarrassment if you see a naked person.

Fail, fail fail. Murder is tabboo. Ergo, legalise it.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 4:52:34 PM
At 7/17/2010 4:32:47 PM, belle wrote:

because slutty clothes aren't a symbol of religious repression, nor do they conceal your identity and thus carry a risk of bank robbery etc. not that i think the burqa should be banned but to compare it to banning slutty clothes is to miss the reasoning behind the banning in the first place.

Furthermore, no one is threatening slutty women with violence to wear slutty clothes.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 5:06:52 PM
I'm aware of the burqa thing, and I think that should be legal along with the right to wear nothing.

Killing actually harms people, restricting how much you wear doesn't.

Not all Muslims wear a burqa, its a personal choice. I'm pretty sure INH has said she doesn't wear one.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 5:09:34 PM
At 7/17/2010 4:39:08 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Girlz haz the b00bz. if a girl is topless, I get aroused. But women don't to the same extent with men, are at least not visibly.

Some do, and really guys have boobs too, just not as big, most of the time.

Public decency. I know a lot of thing are offensive or whatever, but me and multiple men walking with my shlong out tops the list. it's a shared embarrassment if you see a naked person.

Why is it publicly indecent? And not if it becomes a social norm. My aunt has a strict noo clothes policy in her house, but had to change it when mom had my bros cause it offended mom, because of the social norms.

Fail, fail fail. Murder is tabboo. Ergo, legalise it.

I actually adressed this, but didn't remember the rest of your post, again, murder harms people, not wearing clothes, or wearing a burqa causes no harm.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 5:09:53 PM
At 7/17/2010 4:52:34 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

Furthermore, no one is threatening slutty women with violence to wear slutty clothes.

Are you sure?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 5:11:06 PM

Pimps threaten prostitutes.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 5:11:57 PM
At 7/17/2010 5:06:52 PM, lovelife wrote:
I'm aware of the burqa thing, and I think that should be legal along with the right to wear nothing.

Not all Muslims wear a burqa, its a personal choice. I'm pretty sure INH has said she doesn't wear one.

Wearing a burqa is usually a personal choice. It's a small minority of women who are actually forced to wear it.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 5:17:35 PM
At 7/17/2010 5:09:53 PM, lovelife wrote:

Are you sure?

Ummm... maybe in a rape situation, I guess... but that's a personal, individual thing.

Killing women who do not wear burqas is a big social thing.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 5:18:28 PM
At 7/17/2010 5:11:57 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Wearing a burqa is usually a personal choice.

That's true in the United States. Not so true in some places in the middle East.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 5:19:48 PM
At 7/17/2010 5:18:28 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

That's true in the United States. Not so true in some places in the middle East.

I was referring to Europe where they apparently think it's ok to ban clothing.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 5:20:04 PM
At 7/17/2010 5:11:06 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Legalisation stops that.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 5:23:13 PM

not to wear slutty clothes though. maybe something along the lines of "give me the money b*tch". but the cases aren't parallel enough for you to say "well why don't they ban slutty clothes. ". people don't want to ban burqas just because they don't like them, or because they make them uncomfortable.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 5:38:32 PM
At 7/17/2010 5:19:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/17/2010 5:18:28 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

I was referring to Europe where they apparently think it's ok to ban clothing.

It's called "domestic violence."

Not that that's any excuse for such an assault on liberty, but the possibility is there.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 6:02:01 PM
At 7/17/2010 5:20:04 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Legalisation stops that.

It truely does which is why I'm pro prostitution rights
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:54:30 PM
The simple reason we were clothes as a matter of law is because since the Fall or the Roman Empire the laws were based primarily in Judeo-Christianic dogma and doctrine, that still pervades to this day although unfortunately morality seems to be less and less a concern of those in our society today
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:59:07 PM
At 7/17/2010 7:54:30 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
The simple reason we were clothes as a matter of law is because since the Fall or the Roman Empire the laws were based primarily in Judeo-Christianic dogma and doctrine, that still pervades to this day although unfortunately morality seems to be less and less a concern of those in our society today

Morality does seem to be degrading...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 8:01:54 PM
At 7/17/2010 7:59:07 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Ugh, this is ridiculous...

Let me find Freeman's thread...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 8:03:42 PM
At 7/17/2010 8:01:54 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Edjamacate
http://www.debate.org...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 8:06:38 PM
At 7/17/2010 8:03:42 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Edjamacate

What I mean is not that immoral things are increasing statistically but that they are being more and more accepted in today's society
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 8:08:26 PM
At 7/17/2010 8:06:38 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 7/17/2010 8:03:42 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Edjamacate

What I mean is not that immoral things are increasing statistically but that they are being more and more accepted in today's society

So you agree that they are decreasing, yet say they are becoming more accepted? fail
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord