Jump to topic:

Prostitution

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 11:19:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why is it illegal? All it really is is having sex with money exchange, why is that illegal?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 11:28:59 PM
At 7/18/2010 11:19:31 PM, lovelife wrote:
Why is it illegal? All it really is is having sex with money exchange, why is that illegal?

It was made illegal near the end of the progressive era I think...which was in the early 20th century. People protested saying stuff like "It ruins the family life" and "Hookers are disease machines" and though most politicians sought to regulate prostitution, they eventually abolished it.

At this day and age, I would think prostitution is safer when regulated.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 11:32:21 PM

because god is obsessed with what you do with your genitals.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 11:33:10 PM
At 7/18/2010 11:28:59 PM, Sobriquet wrote:

It was made illegal near the end of the progressive era I think...which was in the early 20th century. People protested saying stuff like "It ruins the family life" and "Hookers are disease machines" and though most politicians sought to regulate prostitution, they eventually abolished it.

*facepalm at the stupid people in the country*

At this day and age, I would think prostitution is safer when regulated.

Yes, I also think that regulations would be alot better then making it illegal.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 11:33:29 PM
At 7/18/2010 11:32:21 PM, belle wrote:

God is a pervert.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 11:35:17 PM
At 7/18/2010 11:32:21 PM, belle wrote:

This is probably a better explanation than mine.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 11:55:12 PM
Decriminalize it. Screw regulations. Let the people dumb enough to inadvertently ruin their bodies do so. The government exists to protect your right to life - not to play the role of the parent by shielding you from any threat to your existence, health, or happiness in which you, of your own volition, decide to engage.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 11:56:44 PM
The Christian majority feels it has a right to make its morality the law.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 11:58:10 PM
At 7/18/2010 11:55:12 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Decriminalize it. Screw regulations. Let the people dumb enough to inadvertently ruin their bodies do so. The government exists to protect your right to life - not to play the role of the parent by shielding you from any threat to your existence, health, or happiness in which you, of your own volition, decide to engage.

Pretty much my veiw. Except I do think they should have regulations and weekly health inspections.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 12:07:08 AM
At 7/18/2010 11:58:10 PM, lovelife wrote:

Pretty much my veiw. Except I do think they should have regulations and weekly health inspections.

If that's the case, then what I said isn't "pretty much your view", because every word apart from "Decriminalize it" deals with why we shouldn't have regulations.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 12:14:13 AM
At 7/19/2010 12:07:08 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 7/18/2010 11:58:10 PM, lovelife wrote:

If that's the case, then what I said isn't "pretty much your view", because every word apart from "Decriminalize it" deals with why we shouldn't have regulations.

"Let the people dumb enough to inadvertently ruin their bodies do so. The government exists to protect your right to life - not to play the role of the parent by shielding you from any threat to your existence, health, or happiness in which you, of your own volition, decide to engage."

Thats what I agree with. People have a right to live their life however they want, even if it ruins it.
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 12:18:01 AM
In much of Europe prostitution is not illegal.

In Britain it is not illegal, but running a brothel or living off the earnings of a prostitute is.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 12:20:53 AM
At 7/19/2010 12:18:01 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:

In Britain it is not illegal, but running a brothel or living off the earnings of a prostitute is.

I like Europe more than America in many ways.

Is that like a pimp?
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 12:31:29 AM

Yep. Dumb, I know.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 12:36:00 AM
At 7/19/2010 12:33:09 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Part of it could be about concern over STD's.

One of the Italian Queens actually established brothels to reduce the spread of STD's. That was when they only had obvious physical inspection, no blood or urine tests.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 12:36:12 AM
At 7/19/2010 12:33:09 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Part of it could be about concern over STD's.

If its regulated and mandatory testing is done, then thats not a huge concern. Legalizing it, would do that. Plus people choose whether or not to be prostitutes, and people choose whether or not to seek their services. Free choice=freedom of consequence.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 12:46:24 AM

I get confused, especially as British police now give advice on tax and discretion to new brothels, then have to raid them several months later when enough complaints build up!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 12:47:51 AM
At 7/19/2010 12:46:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I get confused, especially as British police now give advice on tax and discretion to new brothels, then have to raid them several months later when enough complaints build up!

Lmao, are you serious?
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 1:24:32 AM
There's a lot of feminist material written on the sex market, so really any credible ethical opposition would be from that area (and also the best defenses of prostitution would be as well, I find).
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 1:24:42 AM
At 7/19/2010 12:47:51 AM, lovelife wrote:

Lmao, are you serious?

I am not sure if it's normal practice but that is what happened in one incident recently.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 1:26:13 AM
At 7/19/2010 12:49:38 AM, badger wrote:
yeah that's crazy. would that not fall under entrapment?

Not as such, as it was local complaints that the police were acting on. However I am not even sure we have rules against entrapment anymore.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 1:26:30 AM
At 7/19/2010 1:24:42 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Lmao, are you serious?

I am not sure if it's normal practice but that is what happened in one incident recently.

did they let you finish?
signature
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 1:28:34 AM
At 7/19/2010 1:26:30 AM, badger wrote:
At 7/19/2010 1:24:42 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Lmao, are you serious?

did they let you finish?

Heheh... nice one.
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 2:04:30 AM

Not brothels insofar as they call themselves brothels, but in practice brothels nonetheless.

They operate under the guise of being "Massage Parlours" or "Table or Lap Dancing clubs".

And yes, the working girls are expected to pay tax on their income.

Just as girls who go "on the batter" freestyle also pay taxes on their earnings.

By so doing they ensure they keep National Insurance payments up to date so securing their pension rights, but they also avoid being prosecuted for non-payment of taxes which can and sometimes does happen when tax "snoopers" get enough evidence to show they are getting an undeclared earned income.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 2:17:50 AM
At 7/19/2010 2:04:30 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:

Not brothels insofar as they call themselves brothels, but in practice brothels nonetheless.

They operate under the guise of being "Massage Parlours" or "Table or Lap Dancing clubs".

And yes, the working girls are expected to pay tax on their income.

Just as girls who go "on the batter" freestyle also pay taxes on their earnings.

By so doing they ensure they keep National Insurance payments up to date so securing their pension rights, but they also avoid being prosecuted for non-payment of taxes which can and sometimes does happen when tax "snoopers" get enough evidence to show they are getting an undeclared earned income.

Don't you live in Brundall, Norfolk?

I've been to the Brooms boatyard there (very good river and coastal cruisers, by the way, with the unusual feature of an aft cabin for those who are interested) but I didn't realise there were massage parlours and strip clubs there!

Perhaps they are located upstairs at The Yare pub?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 6:02:48 AM
Why is it illegal? All it really is is having sex with money exchange, why is that illegal?:

It's an old moral law that has been grandfathered in. There are social mores attached to it. Society has been taught to look at it as salacious and squalid.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)