Jump to topic:

Literacy Rates

Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:09:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What do you think is the best way to increase world literacy?

Well, first I should be asking, do you think that you yourself could help reduce world illiteracy? A friend of mine and I are trying to put together a team for the XPrize competition and we need people from all around and anywhere to help us with the effort. If you are interested you could PM me your e-mail so that we can contact you.
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:17:58 PM
At 3/17/2015 1:15:35 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Kill all the illiterate. You'll get global 100% literacy very quickly.
Anything serious?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:23:36 PM
At 3/17/2015 1:17:58 PM, Harper wrote:
Anything serious?

Well, I suppose human rights stuff and things like that might suggest that you can't do that. Alright, let me think of a plan B.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:24:19 PM
At 3/17/2015 1:23:36 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 3/17/2015 1:17:58 PM, Harper wrote:
Anything serious?

Well, I suppose human rights stuff and things like that might suggest that you can't do that. Alright, let me think of a plan B.

That'd be preferable :)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:27:42 PM
The problem is that you can't view "global literacy" as if the "global" aspect is a singular community. Different populations all over the world will have different cultures and traditions. What works in one area might not work in another. Rather than thinking of "global literacy," think of each area independently and uniquely. There are a few things that may be common across the globe, such as the abolition of violence and security of basic living rights. But everyone knows about those, so they won't win you any prizes.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:36:29 PM
At 3/17/2015 1:27:42 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
The problem is that you can't view "global literacy" as if the "global" aspect is a singular community. Different populations all over the world will have different cultures and traditions. What works in one area might not work in another. Rather than thinking of "global literacy," think of each area independently and uniquely. There are a few things that may be common across the globe, such as the abolition of violence and security of basic living rights. But everyone knows about those, so they won't win you any prizes.

That's mainly why we're trying to reach out to a broader audience. If we can get a bunch of people from some countries around the world, I think we can reach out to some specific cultures. Right now it's about getting the ball rolling, so-to-speak.