Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Possible Lynching in Mississippi

YYW
Posts: 36,417
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 7:19:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://news.yahoo.com...

The FBI is investigating the death of a black man who was found hanging from a tree in Mississippi earlier today, which may be a suicide or could be a lynching. Most of the circumstances surrounding his death are presently unknown.

It's important to say that we don't have all the facts right now, but I think that the feds are involved should be a pretty clear indication that there's a real possibility of bad sh!t going down here, especially given that the victim's hands were tied behind his back.

The man's name is Otis Bird, and he's been missing since earlier this month. This comes in the wake of a nation wide series of race-based crisis in Ferguson, New York, Virginia and others.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 7:26:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If his hands were tied behind his back, how could it have been a suicide?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Posts: 36,417
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 7:31:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2015 7:26:01 PM, thett3 wrote:
If his hands were tied behind his back, how could it have been a suicide?

He could have tied his hands behind his back.... if they were loosely tied... but again, I really don't know.

I think that the fact that his hands were tied is pretty clear evidence that he was murdered.
Tsar of DDO
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 8:10:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2015 7:31:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/19/2015 7:26:01 PM, thett3 wrote:
If his hands were tied behind his back, how could it have been a suicide?

He could have tied his hands behind his back.... if they were loosely tied... but again, I really don't know.

I think that the fact that his hands were tied is pretty clear evidence that he was murdered.

I think perhaps bigots are becoming more emboldened in all their forms of bigotry.
YYW
Posts: 36,417
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 8:11:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2015 8:10:09 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 3/19/2015 7:31:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/19/2015 7:26:01 PM, thett3 wrote:
If his hands were tied behind his back, how could it have been a suicide?

He could have tied his hands behind his back.... if they were loosely tied... but again, I really don't know.

I think that the fact that his hands were tied is pretty clear evidence that he was murdered.

I think perhaps bigots are becoming more emboldened in all their forms of bigotry.

I think you might be right, and that really concerns me.
Tsar of DDO
Fly
Posts: 2,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 8:15:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Anyone notice how incredibly racist the comments section of Yahoo is? They do everything in their rhetorical power to play up violence perpetrated by black people and to downplay and distract from violence against black people. And when they do this, the "thumbs up" counter shoots up. It's as though the Stormfront.org community comments on every racial story there...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 9:09:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2015 7:19:30 PM, YYW wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com...

The FBI is investigating the death of a black man who was found hanging from a tree in Mississippi earlier today, which may be a suicide or could be a lynching. Most of the circumstances surrounding his death are presently unknown.

It's important to say that we don't have all the facts right now, but I think that the feds are involved should be a pretty clear indication that there's a real possibility of bad sh!t going down here, especially given that the victim's hands were tied behind his back.

The man's name is Otis Bird, and he's been missing since earlier this month. This comes in the wake of a nation wide series of race-based crisis in Ferguson, New York, Virginia and others.

They took my baby away!
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 9:22:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Now things are getting interesting.
What if someone mistakenly ambushes what they assume to be a defenseless black teen?
Maybe I'll get to get some redneck blood on my hands while driving during Spring Break.
Either way, this is going to be a fun road trip.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 9:51:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I just heard about this. I'm starting to see more and more incidents involving racism in the news. I used to believe that some of these things were just part of being black. And that we should just learn to overcome them and live our lives. My position on the matter has never been challenged as much as it has been lately. I mean, lynching? I was born and raised in Biloxi Mississippi until I was around 11. And the whole SAE and Ferguson thing. Is it on the raise or just being weeded out?
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:19:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/20/2015 9:51:06 AM, Df0512 wrote:
I just heard about this. I'm starting to see more and more incidents involving racism in the news. I used to believe that some of these things were just part of being black. And that we should just learn to overcome them and live our lives. My position on the matter has never been challenged as much as it has been lately. I mean, lynching? I was born and raised in Biloxi Mississippi until I was around 11. And the whole SAE and Ferguson thing. Is it on the raise or just being weeded out?

I'd say it's a mixture of both.

Racial tensions have in no way been completely eliminated, as evidenced by the existence of Neo-Nazis. Yet those groups are not often featured on the news. instead they grow and have their internal conflicts privately. Muslim terrorists and Racial profiling cases are however, so racist stances can be adopted under the guise of patriotism or justice.

Just brows the Yahoo news section, or facebook. You'll see that people are becoming more open and violent about their racism.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:20:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Ex: Dilara is a racist but will never accept such as being true.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:55:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2015 7:19:30 PM, YYW wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com...

The FBI is investigating the death of a black man who was found hanging from a tree in Mississippi earlier today, which may be a suicide or could be a lynching. Most of the circumstances surrounding his death are presently unknown.

What are the odds that he was murdered, but not lynched?
Interesting you did not state this possibility...


It's important to say that we don't have all the facts right now, but I think that the feds are involved should be a pretty clear indication that there's a real possibility of bad sh!t going down here, especially given that the victim's hands were tied behind his back.
The feds being involved in MS is to give the presence there is not any impropriety in the investigation. It may be SOP, or it may be due to heightened racial sensitivity of late for obvious reasons.

The man's name is Otis Bird, and he's been missing since earlier this month. This comes in the wake of a nation wide series of race-based crisis in Ferguson, New York, Virginia and others.
BTW, it is apparently Otis Byrd.

I see no reason to assume this is not a murder, given the tied hands, but he's been gone for a few weeks? Is this typical of a lynching? Aren't the lynched usually beaten as well?
He was missing six days before police were called. That seems odd to me.

My wager is gang/druglord related murder, and trying to mask the motive.
But, given his disappearance was in some woods, it could be a very unlucky encounter with some racists.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 11:06:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/20/2015 9:51:06 AM, Df0512 wrote:
I just heard about this. I'm starting to see more and more incidents involving racism in the news. I used to believe that some of these things were just part of being black. And that we should just learn to overcome them and live our lives. My position on the matter has never been challenged as much as it has been lately. I mean, lynching? I was born and raised in Biloxi Mississippi until I was around 11. And the whole SAE and Ferguson thing. Is it on the raise or just being weeded out?

Well, news sources are always going to go for ratings, and racial unrest is always a big seller. So, it's hard to judge if it is on the rise or not. (especially using national news sources)
Assuming this is a lynching based on racism, a bold act like this is disturbing, and means one of three things:
1. That they thought they could get away with it, because the town is so racist, they thought no one would care. A symbol of open defiance to outsiders, like smoking where it is illegal while making direct eye contact with the cops, saying "you won't do nothing". This implies racism is alive and well.
2. That this was a racist response to recent events, and it was felt a message needed to be sent, like "remember your place". This implies racism is alive and well or that drastic action was felt needed.
3. That racism is so frowned upon, the last resort of racists is to take rash action to spark renewed interest in the practice. This implies overt open racism is on its way out, which is a good thing.
My work here is, finally, done.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,107
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 11:44:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2015 8:15:18 PM, Fly wrote:
Anyone notice how incredibly racist the comments section of Yahoo is? They do everything in their rhetorical power to play up violence perpetrated by black people and to downplay and distract from violence against black people. And when they do this, the "thumbs up" counter shoots up. It's as though the Stormfront.org community comments on every racial story there...

Welcome to 'Murica.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 1:47:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2015 7:19:30 PM, YYW wrote:
According to CNN, the wands were not bound.
http://www.cnn.com...

How is this fact in question?
My work here is, finally, done.
SirCrona
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 2:31:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2015 7:26:01 PM, thett3 wrote:
If his hands were tied behind his back, how could it have been a suicide?

Talent?