Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Entitlement

Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 5:53:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Especially in Western society, I've found that there is an unhealthy sense of entitlement among young people.
Why do I say this? There are multiple reasons:

1. Reflected in the growing demand for free university fees, many people feel entitled to higher education as a necessary and basic right, as opposed to the privilege it is for the people who actually need it (i.e prospective doctors/lawyers).

2. People often feel entitled to a 'dream job'; the worst ones being rappers/popstars/footballers. It's this 'special snowflake' education paradigm we have where all young people are given the false message that society owes them, instead of them oweing society.

3. A consequence of the above is that people go to a university to do a rubbish degree, expect to get a cushy job and eventually realise that society is competitive and ruthless. But because people have been indoctrinated by teachers/parents to believe that they are entitled to a good job, they generally aren't willing to do hard, dirty work because they feel they are 'above' these jobs.
What does this mean? It means that there are loads of self-entitled young unemployed who don't want to do non-graduate jobs and yet complain about the lack of work.

4. It is insinuated that young people ought to do the jobs they want to do, as opposed to the jobs that are needed to be done.

Thoughts?
AFism
Posts: 1,030
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 10:46:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

3. A consequence of the above is that people go to a university to do a rubbish degree, expect to get a cushy job and eventually realise that society is competitive and ruthless. But because people have been indoctrinated by teachers/parents to believe that they are entitled to a good job, they generally aren't willing to do hard, dirty work because they feel they are 'above' these jobs.
What does this mean? It means that there are loads of self-entitled young unemployed who don't want to do non-graduate jobs and yet complain about the lack of work.

4. It is insinuated that young people ought to do the jobs they want to do, as opposed to the jobs that are needed to be done.


Ya know being a young person raised in this generation, I do feel your sentiment. Many of my peers think this way. I think that is naive to think the world owes you something. Like most I do want a "cushy" job and ivy education, both things that I'm working hard towards, and I realized that those things don't fall from a tree. I want to do what I want to do as a job thats for sure. But unlike my peers I don't whine about working at wendy's and not having my dream job. I feel proud to be among the few who actually get paid decently for my age for doing what I want and creating my own job. I cultivated a trade, a craft, something that I feel like I want to do for the rest of my life. But I barely have a social life because I work so hard. So, while I do see your point, I think you have to take into consideration that to accomplish all of these things early on, you practically have to sacrifice the last of your childhood. And most would rather be in their mothers basements socializing with their friends, playing xbox. Besides there are very few that's life goal is to be a janitor...
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 8:47:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/25/2015 5:53:44 PM, Philocat wrote:
Especially in Western society, I've found that there is an unhealthy sense of entitlement among young people.
Why do I say this? There are multiple reasons:

1. Reflected in the growing demand for free university fees, many people feel entitled to higher education as a necessary and basic right, as opposed to the privilege it is for the people who actually need it (i.e prospective doctors/lawyers).

2. People often feel entitled to a 'dream job'; the worst ones being rappers/popstars/footballers. It's this 'special snowflake' education paradigm we have where all young people are given the false message that society owes them, instead of them oweing society.

3. A consequence of the above is that people go to a university to do a rubbish degree, expect to get a cushy job and eventually realise that society is competitive and ruthless. But because people have been indoctrinated by teachers/parents to believe that they are entitled to a good job, they generally aren't willing to do hard, dirty work because they feel they are 'above' these jobs.
What does this mean? It means that there are loads of self-entitled young unemployed who don't want to do non-graduate jobs and yet complain about the lack of work.

4. It is insinuated that young people ought to do the jobs they want to do, as opposed to the jobs that are needed to be done.

Thoughts?

First, I must ask, where are you from that you keep posting about America and Western society as though you are not a part of it? I am curious.

Secondly, this is a new feature of society that stems from the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. Parents are discouraged from punishing their children, no one wants to tell Jimmy that he can't be a doctor even though he's terrible at science and no one wants to admit that both a) college is becoming less and less valuable in this economy and b) not everyone is going to make tons of money in life.

It seems that people have shied away from these hard facts in recent years and the results are starting to manifest in this new generation of adults who in a lot of cases do think this way at some time or another.
Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 11:03:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 8:47:10 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/25/2015 5:53:44 PM, Philocat wrote:
Especially in Western society, I've found that there is an unhealthy sense of entitlement among young people.
Why do I say this? There are multiple reasons:

1. Reflected in the growing demand for free university fees, many people feel entitled to higher education as a necessary and basic right, as opposed to the privilege it is for the people who actually need it (i.e prospective doctors/lawyers).

2. People often feel entitled to a 'dream job'; the worst ones being rappers/popstars/footballers. It's this 'special snowflake' education paradigm we have where all young people are given the false message that society owes them, instead of them oweing society.

3. A consequence of the above is that people go to a university to do a rubbish degree, expect to get a cushy job and eventually realise that society is competitive and ruthless. But because people have been indoctrinated by teachers/parents to believe that they are entitled to a good job, they generally aren't willing to do hard, dirty work because they feel they are 'above' these jobs.
What does this mean? It means that there are loads of self-entitled young unemployed who don't want to do non-graduate jobs and yet complain about the lack of work.

4. It is insinuated that young people ought to do the jobs they want to do, as opposed to the jobs that are needed to be done.

Thoughts?

First, I must ask, where are you from that you keep posting about America and Western society as though you are not a part of it? I am curious.

Secondly, this is a new feature of society that stems from the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. Parents are discouraged from punishing their children, no one wants to tell Jimmy that he can't be a doctor even though he's terrible at science and no one wants to admit that both a) college is becoming less and less valuable in this economy and b) not everyone is going to make tons of money in life.

It seems that people have shied away from these hard facts in recent years and the results are starting to manifest in this new generation of adults who in a lot of cases do think this way at some time or another.

I am British, but I still critiscise this entitlement culture we have in modern education and wider society.

I agree with what you go on to say though. People seem to forget that if everyone is special and that they deserve their dream job and a college place, then these concept lose value.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 11:54:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 11:03:28 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 3/26/2015 8:47:10 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/25/2015 5:53:44 PM, Philocat wrote:
Especially in Western society, I've found that there is an unhealthy sense of entitlement among young people.
Why do I say this? There are multiple reasons:

1. Reflected in the growing demand for free university fees, many people feel entitled to higher education as a necessary and basic right, as opposed to the privilege it is for the people who actually need it (i.e prospective doctors/lawyers).

2. People often feel entitled to a 'dream job'; the worst ones being rappers/popstars/footballers. It's this 'special snowflake' education paradigm we have where all young people are given the false message that society owes them, instead of them oweing society.

3. A consequence of the above is that people go to a university to do a rubbish degree, expect to get a cushy job and eventually realise that society is competitive and ruthless. But because people have been indoctrinated by teachers/parents to believe that they are entitled to a good job, they generally aren't willing to do hard, dirty work because they feel they are 'above' these jobs.
What does this mean? It means that there are loads of self-entitled young unemployed who don't want to do non-graduate jobs and yet complain about the lack of work.

4. It is insinuated that young people ought to do the jobs they want to do, as opposed to the jobs that are needed to be done.

Thoughts?

First, I must ask, where are you from that you keep posting about America and Western society as though you are not a part of it? I am curious.

Secondly, this is a new feature of society that stems from the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. Parents are discouraged from punishing their children, no one wants to tell Jimmy that he can't be a doctor even though he's terrible at science and no one wants to admit that both a) college is becoming less and less valuable in this economy and b) not everyone is going to make tons of money in life.

It seems that people have shied away from these hard facts in recent years and the results are starting to manifest in this new generation of adults who in a lot of cases do think this way at some time or another.

I am British, but I still critiscise this entitlement culture we have in modern education and wider society.

I agree with what you go on to say though. People seem to forget that if everyone is special and that they deserve their dream job and a college place, then these concept lose value.

Of course a Brit would be vocal about Americentrism ;)
But yeah, everyone grows up pampered and told they're the best, they can do anything, they deserve to make tons of money and when reality comes along and breaks these ideas that they have been told their entire lives it leads to a disconnect.