Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

You're Not Scared, You're Stupid: Homophobia

Sophia13
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 2:25:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A phobia is, by definition, a fear. You can have arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, or katsaridaphobia, the fear of cockroaches, or even phobophobia, the fear of phobias; but homophobics aren't scared of homosexuals. They just don't like them, they disagree with them, they think they made the wrong "choice" -- but they're not scared. Homophobia, as a word, is inaccurate.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 2:27:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/30/2015 2:25:59 PM, Sophia13 wrote:
A phobia is, by definition, a fear. You can have arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, or katsaridaphobia, the fear of cockroaches, or even phobophobia, the fear of phobias; but homophobics aren't scared of homosexuals. They just don't like them, they disagree with them, they think they made the wrong "choice" -- but they're not scared. Homophobia, as a word, is inaccurate.

Explain hydrophobic paint.
My work here is, finally, done.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 2:44:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/30/2015 2:25:59 PM, Sophia13 wrote:
A phobia is, by definition, a fear. You can have arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, or katsaridaphobia, the fear of cockroaches, or even phobophobia, the fear of phobias; but homophobics aren't scared of homosexuals. They just don't like them, they disagree with them, they think they made the wrong "choice" -- but they're not scared. Homophobia, as a word, is inaccurate.

I become tired of homophobia telling me they aren't scared. They are. They are frightened by societal acceptance of homosexuals. They are frightened that they destroy marriage (whatever the hell that means). They may not screech like children when they see a gay guy on the street, but they sure ARE afraid of "homos"
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 4:01:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/30/2015 2:25:59 PM, Sophia13 wrote:
A phobia is, by definition, a fear. You can have arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, or katsaridaphobia, the fear of cockroaches, or even phobophobia, the fear of phobias; but homophobics aren't scared of homosexuals. They just don't like them, they disagree with them, they think they made the wrong "choice" -- but they're not scared. Homophobia, as a word, is inaccurate.

It seems to have 2 different definitions from what I can gather. One is a reference to the cringe reaction a lot of straight guys get when they see something that even hints of homosexuality, like the old Batman and robin serials (correct me if that is the wrong word).

The other use just means bigot. I personally find the cringe worthy definition the more appropriate one, but I use both.
Sophia13
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 9:18:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/30/2015 2:44:17 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2015 2:25:59 PM, Sophia13 wrote:
A phobia is, by definition, a fear. You can have arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, or katsaridaphobia, the fear of cockroaches, or even phobophobia, the fear of phobias; but homophobics aren't scared of homosexuals. They just don't like them, they disagree with them, they think they made the wrong "choice" -- but they're not scared. Homophobia, as a word, is inaccurate.

I become tired of homophobia telling me they aren't scared. They are. They are frightened by societal acceptance of homosexuals. They are frightened that they destroy marriage (whatever the hell that means). They may not screech like children when they see a gay guy on the street, but they sure ARE afraid of "homos"

If they're scared, they're sure coming off as angry.
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,138
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 9:22:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/30/2015 2:27:06 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/30/2015 2:25:59 PM, Sophia13 wrote:
A phobia is, by definition, a fear. You can have arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, or katsaridaphobia, the fear of cockroaches, or even phobophobia, the fear of phobias; but homophobics aren't scared of homosexuals. They just don't like them, they disagree with them, they think they made the wrong "choice" -- but they're not scared. Homophobia, as a word, is inaccurate.

Explain hydrophobic paint.

The paint literally fears water. Probably because water can be very dangerous
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 9:48:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/30/2015 9:22:38 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 3/30/2015 2:27:06 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/30/2015 2:25:59 PM, Sophia13 wrote:
A phobia is, by definition, a fear. You can have arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, or katsaridaphobia, the fear of cockroaches, or even phobophobia, the fear of phobias; but homophobics aren't scared of homosexuals. They just don't like them, they disagree with them, they think they made the wrong "choice" -- but they're not scared. Homophobia, as a word, is inaccurate.

Explain hydrophobic paint.

The paint literally fears water. Probably because water can be very dangerous

Did you just say literally to personification?
My work here is, finally, done.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 9:51:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/30/2015 9:18:44 PM, Sophia13 wrote:
At 3/30/2015 2:44:17 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2015 2:25:59 PM, Sophia13 wrote:
A phobia is, by definition, a fear. You can have arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, or katsaridaphobia, the fear of cockroaches, or even phobophobia, the fear of phobias; but homophobics aren't scared of homosexuals. They just don't like them, they disagree with them, they think they made the wrong "choice" -- but they're not scared. Homophobia, as a word, is inaccurate.

I become tired of homophobia telling me they aren't scared. They are. They are frightened by societal acceptance of homosexuals. They are frightened that they destroy marriage (whatever the hell that means). They may not screech like children when they see a gay guy on the street, but they sure ARE afraid of "homos"

If they're scared, they're sure coming off as angry.

Anger is often times a manifestation of fear. It either signifies a reaction to fear or a response to a rule you have made for yourself which was broken. If it is in reponse to something that has nothing to do with you like that, than it is a response to fear.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,205
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 10:56:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/30/2015 9:18:44 PM, Sophia13 wrote:
At 3/30/2015 2:44:17 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2015 2:25:59 PM, Sophia13 wrote:
A phobia is, by definition, a fear. You can have arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, or katsaridaphobia, the fear of cockroaches, or even phobophobia, the fear of phobias; but homophobics aren't scared of homosexuals. They just don't like them, they disagree with them, they think they made the wrong "choice" -- but they're not scared. Homophobia, as a word, is inaccurate.

I become tired of homophobia telling me they aren't scared. They are. They are frightened by societal acceptance of homosexuals. They are frightened that they destroy marriage (whatever the hell that means). They may not screech like children when they see a gay guy on the street, but they sure ARE afraid of "homos"

If they're scared, they're sure coming off as angry.

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering... I sense much fear in you." -- Yoda

Its amazing how apt a simple sci fi movie quote can be, some times.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,138
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 11:44:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/30/2015 9:48:53 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/30/2015 9:22:38 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 3/30/2015 2:27:06 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/30/2015 2:25:59 PM, Sophia13 wrote:
A phobia is, by definition, a fear. You can have arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, or katsaridaphobia, the fear of cockroaches, or even phobophobia, the fear of phobias; but homophobics aren't scared of homosexuals. They just don't like them, they disagree with them, they think they made the wrong "choice" -- but they're not scared. Homophobia, as a word, is inaccurate.

Explain hydrophobic paint.

The paint literally fears water. Probably because water can be very dangerous

Did you just say literally to personification?

I literally did
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 3:03:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Can you tell us the difference between non-homophobic opposition of the claim that homosexuality is equivalent to heterosexuality, and homophobic opposition to said claim?
Skynet
Posts: 674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 10:45:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/30/2015 2:25:59 PM, Sophia13 wrote:
A phobia is, by definition, a fear. You can have arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, or katsaridaphobia, the fear of cockroaches, or even phobophobia, the fear of phobias; but homophobics aren't scared of homosexuals. They just don't like them, they disagree with them, they think they made the wrong "choice" -- but they're not scared. Homophobia, as a word, is inaccurate.

They've really broadened the definition of phobia to paint opponents as having a psychological problem. So now people who oppose National Socialism because they fear the consequences of it, have a phobia of their own nation. People who oppose Christians politicians have religiphobia, (or whatever the Greek term is) and people who oppose tax cuts are moneyphobes.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
SirCrona
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 4:25:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/30/2015 2:27:06 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/30/2015 2:25:59 PM, Sophia13 wrote:
A phobia is, by definition, a fear. You can have arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, or katsaridaphobia, the fear of cockroaches, or even phobophobia, the fear of phobias; but homophobics aren't scared of homosexuals. They just don't like them, they disagree with them, they think they made the wrong "choice" -- but they're not scared. Homophobia, as a word, is inaccurate.

Explain hydrophobic paint.

Paint that's scared out of its mind by hydrogen. It's kinda self explanatory.