Jump to topic:

Peta

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 10:53:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why does it get so much hate? Sure it sometimes goes overboard but there are extermists for everything and peta is trying to protect animals rights.

I don't see whats wrong with peta so if you do please explain it to me. How can peta possibly be more horrible then those that torture animals?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 10:59:32 PM
Watch the three videos in the opening round of this debate. It's an episode of Penn & Teller: Bullsh!t about PETA.

http://www.debate.org...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:05:01 PM
At 7/24/2010 10:59:32 PM, Korashk wrote:
Watch the three videos in the opening round of this debate. It's an episode of Penn & Teller: Bullsh!t about PETA.

http://www.debate.org...

Is this supposed to be funny? Serious?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:14:05 PM
I watched the first one, commentary on that is that is BS. the treatment of animals is like that of the jews with the exception that I never heard of the nazis testing anything on the jews.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:26:14 PM
Don't see anything wrong with #2, it just makes me support peta even more.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:38:01 PM
PETA are a bunch of nutcases. Sure, animal welfare can be a good thing, but I'd rather give human rights before animals. Besides, PETA takes the whole thing too far.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:39:00 PM
At 7/24/2010 10:53:11 PM, lovelife wrote:
Why does it get so much hate? Sure it sometimes goes overboard but there are extermists for everything and peta is trying to protect animals rights.

I don't see whats wrong with peta so if you do please explain it to me. How can peta possibly be more horrible then those that torture animals?

They lie to school children about the effects of drinking cow's milk, this pretty much invalidates anything they say or do. I can't believe anything they say, and I can't place any value on their whines concerning animal rights when they are directly trying to harm human health.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:44:33 PM
At 7/24/2010 11:38:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
PETA are a bunch of nutcases. Sure, animal welfare can be a good thing, but I'd rather give human rights before animals. Besides, PETA takes the whole thing too far.

I joined peta. And i think animals have a right to be treated decently more then humans have a right to live. From this day I pledge not to use any medicine unless it was tested on humans or its being tested on me instead of them.

"They lie to school children about the effects of drinking cow's milk, this pretty much invalidates anything they say or do. I can't believe anything they say, and I can't place any value on their whines concerning animal rights when they are directly trying to harm human health."

What do they say about cows milk? I wont eat meat anymore (may be temporary, since it is an addiction and the way people were made but since there are alternitives I will seek them and try my best to quit, but I will still eat things with milk in them such as cake which also has eggs)

Human health testing should be done on humans, not by testing unwilling, innocent animals.

What do they tell the children that is lie?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:50:19 PM
They claim that drinking milk causes obesity and acne... and they do so via cartoons in the style of the garbage yard kids (maybe before your time).
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:53:20 PM
At 7/24/2010 11:50:19 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
They claim that drinking milk causes obesity and acne... and they do so via cartoons in the style of the garbage yard kids (maybe before your time).

Never heard of that so it prolly was. There may be some fact behind that, not 100% sure. People also say chocolate does the same thing but pssh like I'd give up chocolate, or cake, or ceral for that matter cause of a little acne and gaining more weight.
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:59:42 PM
At the last concert i was at, while i was standing in line my friends and I were approached by Peta folks, they were there against the abuse of baby elephants in the circus, things like that i'm okay with them fighting against, but like a couple people in this thread have already states-they take it to far most of the time.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 12:04:33 AM
At 7/24/2010 11:59:42 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
At the last concert i was at, while i was standing in line my friends and I were approached by Peta folks, they were there against the abuse of baby elephants in the circus, things like that i'm okay with them fighting against, but like a couple people in this thread have already states-they take it to far most of the time.

Differnet then religion how? Actually anything you place belief in will be corrupt at least a little so peta is now like my religion. I am in favor of pets and zoos that are there to save animals like the one I go to that has injured bald eagles and stuff they cant fly but there given open area that they can live in. I don't think people should think any less of their pets or abuse them in any way, but I'm not against the idea of having them at all.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 12:06:37 AM
At 7/25/2010 12:04:33 AM, lovelife wrote:

Differnet then religion how? Actually anything you place belief in will be corrupt at least a little so peta is now like my religion. I am in favor of pets and zoos that are there to save animals like the one I go to that has injured bald eagles and stuff they cant fly but there given open area that they can live in. I don't think people should think any less of their pets or abuse them in any way, but I'm not against the idea of having them at all.

PETA is anti-pets and anti-zoos. As a PETA member you better say goodbye to both. Get rid of any pets you may have as keeping pets is supposably "animal slavery".
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 12:09:19 AM
At 7/25/2010 12:06:37 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/25/2010 12:04:33 AM, lovelife wrote:

PETA is anti-pets and anti-zoos. As a PETA member you better say goodbye to both. Get rid of any pets you may have as keeping pets is supposably "animal slavery".

Thank you ^. First of all this has nothing to do with Religion, but yes some people inaccurately represent religion, but Christianity in and itself does not.
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 12:12:46 AM
At 7/25/2010 12:07:56 AM, TheSkeptic wrote:
I'm okay with animal welfare, but animal rights? Hell no.

And that isn't the same thing? Animals shouldn't be abused, that's the only right I would give them. But you can't say you don't want them to be mis-treaded but also have no rights.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 12:37:12 AM
I'm not 100% sure on my exact stance I know I want to keep animals safe and happy and peta is the best cahnce for that. I only get pes that would otherwise starve on the street, like the dogs I had, many cats, and I only support zoos that are helpful to keeping animals safe and happy as possible. I don't argue that protesting for euthanizing was wrong because it is a necessary evil, but I support that at all costs animal cruelty should be destroyed.

Not gunna lie necessary or not animal death makes me cry, every time.

I want to fight for animals to have the right to live happy lives, not rome the streets and starve and get run over, but the right to a good home, to not be fur, not be tested on and not any of the other cruelties people subject them to.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 7:09:12 AM
At 7/24/2010 11:14:05 PM, lovelife wrote:
I watched the first one, commentary on that is that is BS. the treatment of animals is like that of the jews with the exception that I never heard of the nazis testing anything on the jews.

Well, the Nazis did test crap on the Jews, but that's beside the point.

If you watch the third video you'll learn that PETA euthanizes most of the animals that they "rescue."
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 7:10:14 AM
PETA are a bunch of nut-jobs. They actively fund animal liberators who use force. They also hold absolutely ridiculous views (Like no fur, no meat, no dairy, etc.). I understand some of their viewpoints, but at the end of the day the argument is stronger for animals not having rights.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 7:12:22 AM
At 7/24/2010 11:14:05 PM, lovelife wrote:

Lolzor. Difference is humans are superior beings than other animals. And don't try and draw parallels between is statements and Nazism, because there is a huge biological difference between animals and humans.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 7:36:14 AM
Why does it get so much hate?

peta is trying to protect animals rights.
That nonsense is plenty of reason.

Question: Are you even a vegetarian lovelife?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 7:37:01 AM
I call it "nonsense" because such things don't have rights, unless they are rational.

In which case it's in their interests to inform me of it rather soon.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 8:55:44 AM
At 7/25/2010 7:36:14 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

How so? Protecting animals from becoming fur, and test subjects are plenty of good reasons why their good not bad Panda. Food is debatable.

Question: Are you even a vegetarian lovelife?

Not sure. I'm trying it again but most likely I wont be able to live my own lifestyle and make my own choices until I'm out of this house. Then theirs the issue between eating whats natural and whats moral. I'm still not even sure if eating meat is immoral as long as its not in large amounts. So really I'm not sure at this point, its going to take a lot of talking to myself and rationalizing pros and cons, and what I truly believe and what I know. Its kinda like the 2 year process of when I lost religion. I never really believed in it (I could never eat meat if I remembered it came from animals being killed) but I tried to (I put that aside and forgot all about the death involved and imagined meat grew at stores) then realize the right path for me.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 9:01:54 AM
At 7/25/2010 8:55:44 AM, lovelife wrote:

How so? Protecting animals from becoming fur, and test subjects are plenty of good reasons why their good not bad Panda.
Nope. It's plenty of reasons why they are bad. Fur is good, as is medical technology. Animals have no rights/

Food is debatable.
Considering how medical testing on animals is probably even more needed than food from animals (though less enjoyable...)

I'm still not even sure if eating meat is immoral as long as its not in large amounts.
Animals do not have rights. But if they did, eating it without their consent, except perhaps roadkill, would be wrong.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 9:10:39 AM
At 7/25/2010 9:01:54 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

How so? Protecting animals from becoming fur, and test subjects are plenty of good reasons why their good not bad Panda.
Nope. It's plenty of reasons why they are bad. Fur is good, as is medical technology. Animals have no rights/

Why does anyone need animal fur? There are plenty of non animal fur clothes out there. And no its not good. 1,000s of animals die due to testing that isn't even accurate! WTF! You'd think with how "smart" scientists are supposed to be they would learn that it is not accurate to test anthing on animals and it is WRONG to torture them. If you wouldn't do it to your kid you shouldn't do it to an animal. (though eating is kinda debatable. I'm not opposed to eating children tho. Baby animals? Yes thats wrong seeing as how when eating them they tend to be tortured their whole lives, but humans are spoiled and overpopulated. Eating human babies is not in-ethical)

Food is debatable.
Considering how medical testing on animals is probably even more needed than food from animals (though less enjoyable...)

No its inaccurate. Humans naturally need animals. Testing is something humans should do for humans on humans. For animals on animals, as long as they don't torture either.

I'm still not even sure if eating meat is immoral as long as its not in large amounts.
Animals do not have rights. But if they did, eating it without their consent, except perhaps roadkill, would be wrong.

They should have rights and as I saw last night speciesism is just as wrong as racism.

(I wish my keyboard wasn't messing up as much cause I had another really long responce earlier but it just went away.)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 9:13:48 AM
At 7/25/2010 7:37:01 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I call it "nonsense" because such things don't have rights, unless they are rational.

Prove they aren't. They feel pain, they feel hungry, they feel scared they feel lonely, the only difference is they can't talk to you and I can. Might as well do the same testing and eating on newborns. Actually that would be a good solution. Advance science enough so that aborted fetusses can live long enough to get enough human qualities to be good for testing. Everyone wins.

That's PETA's job. They are supposed to be the voices for the animals that cannot speak for themselves.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 9:16:48 AM
At 7/25/2010 9:13:48 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 7/25/2010 7:37:01 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Prove they aren't. They feel pain, they feel hungry, they feel scared they feel lonely, the only difference is they can't talk to you and I can. Might as well do the same testing and eating on newborns. Actually that would be a good solution. Advance science enough so that aborted fetusses can live long enough to get enough human qualities to be good for testing. Everyone wins.

That's PETA's job. They are supposed to be the voices for the animals that cannot speak for themselves.

PETA kills most of the animals that they rescue.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 9:26:30 AM
At 7/25/2010 9:10:39 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 7/25/2010 9:01:54 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Why does anyone need animal fur? There are plenty of non animal fur clothes out there. And no its not good. 1,000s of animals die due to testing that isn't even accurate! WTF! You'd think with how "smart" scientists are supposed to be they would learn that it is not accurate to test anthing on animals and it is WRONG to torture them.

I would imagine Animal testing is vastly more accurate than those scientists testing it on drawn up Models of human systems.

Mammals have A LOT in common... with, it seems to me, mostly, small variations.

If you wouldn't do it to your kid you shouldn't do it to an animal. (though eating is kinda debatable. I'm not opposed to eating children tho. Baby animals? Yes thats wrong seeing as how when eating them they tend to be tortured their whole lives, but humans are spoiled and overpopulated. Eating human babies is not in-ethical)

lol... and you're trying to convince us Peta ppl AREN'T crazy.

Food is debatable.

No its inaccurate. Humans naturally need animals. Testing is something humans should do for humans on humans. For animals on animals, as long as they don't torture either.

They should have rights and as I saw last night speciesism is just as wrong as racism.

(I wish my keyboard wasn't messing up as much cause I had another really long responce earlier but it just went away.)

I'd say animals deserve some rights... depending upon how closely their thinking and feeling match up to ours.

I wouldn't want to make a dog squeal in pain... and if I were testing LIFE SAVING meds on it... I'd say it has a right to my best efforts to make it comfortable.

Bugs... get none.... PULL THEIR LEGS OFF!!!1

fish simply don't get tortured for fun.

lizards get killed quick if possible...

mammals get nice living environments if possible (so they don't get depressed) and minimized pain....

smart mammals get left alone... Protected Even!... Except if there is an obvious way in which their disturbance can save people's lives.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."