Jump to topic:

Most progressive state/city in the US

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 1:22:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Which state/city in the US is the most progressive as far as minimizing, perhaps close to eliminating discrimination? First thoughts include New York, Washington DC, and most of California.

I think ethnic/sexual/economic/other forms of diversity play a role in awareness and help avoid discrimination.

California for instance has high ethnic diversity and often faces far less problems of discrimination than the US as a whole. According to 2011 US Census Bureau estimates, California's population was 74.0% White, 6.6% Black or African American, 13.6% Asian, 1.0% American Indian, 0.4% Pacific Islander and 3.6% from two or more races. By ethnicity, 38.1% of the total population is Hispanic-Latino (of any race) and 61.9% Non-Hispanic (of any race).

White, not Hispanic or Latino42.3%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race)37.6%
Mexican30.6%
Asian14.9%
Black or African American7.2%
Multiracial (two or more races)4.8%

http://en.wikipedia.org...
briantheliberal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 2:31:56 AM
This is a hard one but I would definitely consider New York to be one of the most progressive and diverse cities in the United States. California is also pretty progressive, and so is the state of New Jersey, and most of the Northeast and Pacific Northwest.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 7:33:47 AM
Washington D.C., Detroit, Gary Indiana, and we can see where it got those places. I try to stay out of heavily progressive areas.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 11:06:59 AM
I don't know much about reports of discrimination across cities. I do know that diversity alone isn't sufficient for reduced discrimination, though. Highly diverse areas are often highly segregated.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 11:23:42 AM
It's funny you mention New York, since I have heard that is one of the most racist cities.
It is self-segregated, and people there aren't racist, because "we're not the south".
Even Cornell has racially segregated dorms. But, it's okay, because "that's what the students want". Source: wife of an Asian man who attended Cornell

I've been told by a MN black man that he would never go to NYC, but that "racism doesn't really affect me".
So, I nominate Minneapolis!!!!
My work here is, finally, done.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 12:03:10 PM
I'm not going to say San Antonio has no racism, because that's obviously not true, but it is pretty much a beacon of racial progressivity in Texas. The city is majority Hispanic (or at least plurality) but with a substantial white and black population. Though there is some informal segregation (as in most cities) for the most part racial tension is not an issue. Just as an example, the last three mayors have been a white man, a Hispanic man, and a black woman.

The reasons for this? I think part of it has to do with San Antonio having a different culture than the rest of the state, due to its historically multicultural heritage. I think another factor is the strong military presence throughout the city. Say what you will about the military, but I think one thing they do pretty well is force people of different ethnicities to live together and get to know each other, which undermines racism and prejudice.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 12:20:10 PM
At 4/3/2015 11:06:59 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I don't know much about reports of discrimination across cities. I do know that diversity alone isn't sufficient for reduced discrimination, though. Highly diverse areas are often highly segregated.

Further, some integrated areas are done by force, which may lead to racial issues as well.
My work here is, finally, done.