Jump to topic:

Torture

Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 11:12:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Should the government be allowed to torture prisoners in order to extract information that may be valuable to them/prevent terrorist attacks?

I would say no, as many times prisoners will simply give false information to try to stop the torture. Logically, one who is being tortured would have no idea when it is going to end and would assume that it would not be worth it to try and stick it out to the end and would just admit to things they didn't do. Although it doesn't sometimes lead to valuable information being gained it's probably a waste of time most of the time. I'm also against it for moral reasons/I don't think it's morally acceptable to torture fellow humans in order to prevent something that may or may not happen.

That's just a short way of putting what I think about it, but I have not done much research on the topic so I would love to read what others would like to say about the subject.
AFism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 11:26:35 PM
At 4/8/2015 11:12:26 PM, Arcanas wrote:
Should the government be allowed to torture prisoners in order to extract information that may be valuable to them/prevent terrorist attacks?

I would say no, as many times prisoners will simply give false information to try to stop the torture. Logically, one who is being tortured would have no idea when it is going to end and would assume that it would not be worth it to try and stick it out to the end and would just admit to things they didn't do. Although it doesn't sometimes lead to valuable information being gained it's probably a waste of time most of the time. I'm also against it for moral reasons/I don't think it's morally acceptable to torture fellow humans in order to prevent something that may or may not happen.

That's just a short way of putting what I think about it, but I have not done much research on the topic so I would love to read what others would like to say about the subject.

I agree. I've done more research. you should read some of the CIA torture reports. It gets despicable and horrible. Torture should never be used period.
CCE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:53:02 PM
Besides the fact that it is extremely inhumane, torture is not guaranteed to get any answers at all, let alone a truthful one.