Total Posts:37|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Should girls wear sexy clothing?

TheINFJNala
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 2:26:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
There are several types of attention you can get when you wear provocative clothes. There are several reasons why they wear them.

It could be they don't have any other clothes.

It could be because it's hot out.

It could just be because they like it.

Or they really are deliberately trying to look slutty.

But when guys make sexual comments about you as if you're an object of sexy desire, that crosses the line, unless if you genuinely want it.

But when a girl seriously doesn't want guys making sleazy comments, she's not asking for it. Why is that hard to understand? You can dress as a police officer for Halloween and should not be treated like an actual police officer if you know he/she's not a real police officer. It's all about the intention of wearing the clothes.

I thought we weren't supposed to judge a book by its cover. So why is this any different?
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 3:07:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 2:26:10 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
There are several types of attention you can get when you wear provocative clothes. There are several reasons why they wear them.

It could be they don't have any other clothes.

It could be because it's hot out.

It could just be because they like it.
Wearing revealing clothes is acceptable in these situations,
Or they really are deliberately trying to look slutty.
In this situation, wearing sexy clothes is immoral.
But when guys make sexual comments about you as if you're an object of sexy desire, that crosses the line, unless if you genuinely want it.
I agree that it's also immoral for guys to make sexual comments about girls, whether they're wearing sexy clothing or not.
But when a girl seriously doesn't want guys making sleazy comments, she's not asking for it. Why is that hard to understand? You can dress as a police officer for Halloween and should not be treated like an actual police officer if you know he/she's not a real police officer. It's all about the intention of wearing the clothes.
I agree it's about intention.
I thought we weren't supposed to judge a book by its cover. So why is this any different?
Well do think about this. If a girl wears hotpants or miniskirts, I'd have a very negative impression of her, just as I'd have a very negative first impression on a man who has piercings, makeup or perfume, or anyone of either gender that dyes his/her hair or has tattoos.

P1: Your actions and decisions say a lot about your personality.
P2: Wearing clothes is an action; choosing what clothes to wear is a decision.
C: Clothes say a lot about your personality.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 3:08:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2015 3:07:19 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Well do think about this. If a girl wears hotpants or miniskirts, I'd have a very negative impression of her, just as I'd have a very negative first impression on a man who has piercings, makeup or perfume, or anyone of either gender that dyes his/her hair or has tattoos.

Correction: excessive makeup. So much that I can tell he's worn makeup.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 3:10:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2015 3:07:19 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Well do think about this. If a girl wears hotpants or miniskirts, I'd have a very negative impression of her, just as I'd have a very negative first impression on a man who has piercings, makeup or perfume, or anyone of either gender that dyes his/her hair or has tattoos.

Another correction: Unless it's a case of an old person dying his/her white hair.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 6:49:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 2:26:10 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
There are several types of attention you can get when you wear provocative clothes. There are several reasons why they wear them.

It could be they don't have any other clothes.

It could be because it's hot out.

It could just be because they like it.

Or they really are deliberately trying to look slutty.

But when guys make sexual comments about you as if you're an object of sexy desire, that crosses the line, unless if you genuinely want it.

Yeah, and they're supposed to be psychic and know when? Either something crosses a line or not. I don't call it crossing a line just because an ugly chick tries to hit on me, it's absurd.


But when a girl seriously doesn't want guys making sleazy comments, she's not asking for it. Why is that hard to understand?

Now we're talking of sleazy comments. Different story. If a guy randomly makes a sleazy comment, it's clear he is a POS, so obviously any negative reaction won't register, unless it's blatant.

You can dress as a police officer for Halloween and should not be treated like an actual police officer if you know he/she's not a real police officer. It's all about the intention of wearing the clothes.

I agree. I don't want black people randomly running from me.

I thought we weren't supposed to judge a book by its cover. So why is this any different?

That's BS. You should absolutely judge a book by it's cover. How you choose to dress, carry yourself and act is who you are trying to be, which says a lot about a person.
TheINFJNala
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 1:28:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2015 6:49:18 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/10/2015 2:26:10 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
There are several types of attention you can get when you wear provocative clothes. There are several reasons why they wear them.

It could be they don't have any other clothes.

It could be because it's hot out.

It could just be because they like it.

Or they really are deliberately trying to look slutty.

But when guys make sexual comments about you as if you're an object of sexy desire, that crosses the line, unless if you genuinely want it.

Yeah, and they're supposed to be psychic and know when? Either something crosses a line or not. I don't call it crossing a line just because an ugly chick tries to hit on me, it's absurd.


But when a girl seriously doesn't want guys making sleazy comments, she's not asking for it. Why is that hard to understand?

Now we're talking of sleazy comments. Different story. If a guy randomly makes a sleazy comment, it's clear he is a POS, so obviously any negative reaction won't register, unless it's blatant.

You can dress as a police officer for Halloween and should not be treated like an actual police officer if you know he/she's not a real police officer. It's all about the intention of wearing the clothes.

I agree. I don't want black people randomly running from me.

I thought we weren't supposed to judge a book by its cover. So why is this any different?

That's BS. You should absolutely judge a book by it's cover. How you choose to dress, carry yourself and act is who you are trying to be, which says a lot about a person.

You're supposed to read the book before you finally judge it. You can dislike the cover, but that doesn't mean the inside of the book is not likable.

It all depends on why the person is wearing this or that. Art has many different meanings, and they have different meanings for everyone.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 1:41:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/13/2015 1:28:39 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
At 4/11/2015 6:49:18 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/10/2015 2:26:10 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
There are several types of attention you can get when you wear provocative clothes. There are several reasons why they wear them.

It could be they don't have any other clothes.

It could be because it's hot out.

It could just be because they like it.

Or they really are deliberately trying to look slutty.

But when guys make sexual comments about you as if you're an object of sexy desire, that crosses the line, unless if you genuinely want it.

Yeah, and they're supposed to be psychic and know when? Either something crosses a line or not. I don't call it crossing a line just because an ugly chick tries to hit on me, it's absurd.


But when a girl seriously doesn't want guys making sleazy comments, she's not asking for it. Why is that hard to understand?

Now we're talking of sleazy comments. Different story. If a guy randomly makes a sleazy comment, it's clear he is a POS, so obviously any negative reaction won't register, unless it's blatant.

You can dress as a police officer for Halloween and should not be treated like an actual police officer if you know he/she's not a real police officer. It's all about the intention of wearing the clothes.

I agree. I don't want black people randomly running from me.

I thought we weren't supposed to judge a book by its cover. So why is this any different?

That's BS. You should absolutely judge a book by it's cover. How you choose to dress, carry yourself and act is who you are trying to be, which says a lot about a person.

You're supposed to read the book before you finally judge it. You can dislike the cover, but that doesn't mean the inside of the book is not likable.

It all depends on why the person is wearing this or that. Art has many different meanings, and they have different meanings for everyone.

Nobody has time to read every single book. All we have to go on is the cover to pick whether we invest more time in them, and the cover if accurate even half the time is good enough for me
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 11:39:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
To answer the question in a simple answer:

Yes. Yes they should.

To expound:

If they can pull it off.

If they can't pull it off, then no, no they shouldn't.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:35:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/13/2015 1:28:39 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
At 4/11/2015 6:49:18 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/10/2015 2:26:10 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
There are several types of attention you can get when you wear provocative clothes. There are several reasons why they wear them.

It could be they don't have any other clothes.

It could be because it's hot out.

It could just be because they like it.

Or they really are deliberately trying to look slutty.

But when guys make sexual comments about you as if you're an object of sexy desire, that crosses the line, unless if you genuinely want it.

Yeah, and they're supposed to be psychic and know when? Either something crosses a line or not. I don't call it crossing a line just because an ugly chick tries to hit on me, it's absurd.


But when a girl seriously doesn't want guys making sleazy comments, she's not asking for it. Why is that hard to understand?

Now we're talking of sleazy comments. Different story. If a guy randomly makes a sleazy comment, it's clear he is a POS, so obviously any negative reaction won't register, unless it's blatant.

You can dress as a police officer for Halloween and should not be treated like an actual police officer if you know he/she's not a real police officer. It's all about the intention of wearing the clothes.

I agree. I don't want black people randomly running from me.

I thought we weren't supposed to judge a book by its cover. So why is this any different?

That's BS. You should absolutely judge a book by it's cover. How you choose to dress, carry yourself and act is who you are trying to be, which says a lot about a person.

You're supposed to read the book before you finally judge it. You can dislike the cover, but that doesn't mean the inside of the book is not likable.

It all depends on why the person is wearing this or that. Art has many different meanings, and they have different meanings for everyone.

The cover of the book is also part of the book. Would you take a book on philosophy or politics seriously if it has a lolcat and other advice animals as its cover?
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
SirCrona
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 2:56:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Who cares? We're not gonna ban or mandate sexy outfits, so why is this anyone's concern beyond an individual decision?
And, more importantly, what constitutes sexy and why? Revealing clothing can be worn for many reasons other than arousal, and it's unlikely anything resembling a majority of people will agree that any given woman wearing any given outfit is "sexy" because people have their own opinions and women don't all look the same. What if someone has some weird intentionally prudish or modest dress fetish and finds, say, formal suits extremely sexy? If you're to go with the biblical definition, sexy means "of or relating to sex," and people can't exactly, ahem, "share carnal knowledge" wearing clothes.

TL;DR I find this discussion silly.
TheINFJNala
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 4:20:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/14/2015 12:35:42 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 4/13/2015 1:28:39 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
At 4/11/2015 6:49:18 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/10/2015 2:26:10 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
There are several types of attention you can get when you wear provocative clothes. There are several reasons why they wear them.

It could be they don't have any other clothes.

It could be because it's hot out.

It could just be because they like it.

Or they really are deliberately trying to look slutty.

But when guys make sexual comments about you as if you're an object of sexy desire, that crosses the line, unless if you genuinely want it.

Yeah, and they're supposed to be psychic and know when? Either something crosses a line or not. I don't call it crossing a line just because an ugly chick tries to hit on me, it's absurd.


But when a girl seriously doesn't want guys making sleazy comments, she's not asking for it. Why is that hard to understand?

Now we're talking of sleazy comments. Different story. If a guy randomly makes a sleazy comment, it's clear he is a POS, so obviously any negative reaction won't register, unless it's blatant.

You can dress as a police officer for Halloween and should not be treated like an actual police officer if you know he/she's not a real police officer. It's all about the intention of wearing the clothes.

I agree. I don't want black people randomly running from me.

I thought we weren't supposed to judge a book by its cover. So why is this any different?

That's BS. You should absolutely judge a book by it's cover. How you choose to dress, carry yourself and act is who you are trying to be, which says a lot about a person.

You're supposed to read the book before you finally judge it. You can dislike the cover, but that doesn't mean the inside of the book is not likable.

It all depends on why the person is wearing this or that. Art has many different meanings, and they have different meanings for everyone.

The cover of the book is also part of the book. Would you take a book on philosophy or politics seriously if it has a lolcat and other advice animals as its cover?

That's only the cover. You don't know what else is in it. Just because one part of it is stupid doesn't mean everything else in it is. And why would anyone put lolcat or advice animals on the cover for a serious book on politics or philosophy? That's not a good analogy. No idiot would do that.

I mean, how would you feel if you threw away a book because you didn't like the cover, then you hear reviews for it saying that it's amazing because if what is inside the book, those who actually read it? Does the cover still matter most to you?
TheINFJNala
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 4:21:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/13/2015 1:41:06 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/13/2015 1:28:39 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
At 4/11/2015 6:49:18 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/10/2015 2:26:10 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
There are several types of attention you can get when you wear provocative clothes. There are several reasons why they wear them.

It could be they don't have any other clothes.

It could be because it's hot out.

It could just be because they like it.

Or they really are deliberately trying to look slutty.

But when guys make sexual comments about you as if you're an object of sexy desire, that crosses the line, unless if you genuinely want it.

Yeah, and they're supposed to be psychic and know when? Either something crosses a line or not. I don't call it crossing a line just because an ugly chick tries to hit on me, it's absurd.


But when a girl seriously doesn't want guys making sleazy comments, she's not asking for it. Why is that hard to understand?

Now we're talking of sleazy comments. Different story. If a guy randomly makes a sleazy comment, it's clear he is a POS, so obviously any negative reaction won't register, unless it's blatant.

You can dress as a police officer for Halloween and should not be treated like an actual police officer if you know he/she's not a real police officer. It's all about the intention of wearing the clothes.

I agree. I don't want black people randomly running from me.

I thought we weren't supposed to judge a book by its cover. So why is this any different?

That's BS. You should absolutely judge a book by it's cover. How you choose to dress, carry yourself and act is who you are trying to be, which says a lot about a person.

You're supposed to read the book before you finally judge it. You can dislike the cover, but that doesn't mean the inside of the book is not likable.

It all depends on why the person is wearing this or that. Art has many different meanings, and they have different meanings for everyone.

Nobody has time to read every single book. All we have to go on is the cover to pick whether we invest more time in them, and the cover if accurate even half the time is good enough for me

I read the blurb on the back or so before I decide whether or not to buy it. It's a preview.
TheINFJNala
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 4:25:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
You may call me stupid for this, but

Let's say a boy asks his "friend" to write a cool sign on his forehead, like a thumbs up or whatever is NOT offensive. Yet his "friend" decides to be a jerk and draws a swatstika on his head with a permanent marker, without his knowledge.

The guy walks off and his life is ruined forever because everyone automatically thinks he wore it on purpose, when it was the exact opposite.

How would you feel if you were the boy?
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 4:28:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/14/2015 4:25:17 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
You may call me stupid for this, but


Let's say a boy asks his "friend" to write a cool sign on his forehead, like a thumbs up or whatever is NOT offensive. Yet his "friend" decides to be a jerk and draws a swatstika on his head with a permanent marker, without his knowledge.

The guy walks off and his life is ruined forever because everyone automatically thinks he wore it on purpose, when it was the exact opposite.

How would you feel if you were the boy?

I would feel stupid for not looking in the mirror before going out in public.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 5:02:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/14/2015 4:25:17 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
You may call me stupid for this, but


Let's say a boy asks his "friend" to write a cool sign on his forehead, like a thumbs up or whatever is NOT offensive. Yet his "friend" decides to be a jerk and draws a swatstika on his head with a permanent marker, without his knowledge.

The guy walks off and his life is ruined forever because everyone automatically thinks he wore it on purpose, when it was the exact opposite.

How would you feel if you were the boy?

Why would I care how that boy feels. It's a numbers game, name. What are the odds of him being a racist? I'd say pretty high
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 12:42:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/14/2015 4:21:36 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
At 4/13/2015 1:41:06 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/13/2015 1:28:39 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
At 4/11/2015 6:49:18 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/10/2015 2:26:10 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
There are several types of attention you can get when you wear provocative clothes. There are several reasons why they wear them.

It could be they don't have any other clothes.

It could be because it's hot out.

It could just be because they like it.

Or they really are deliberately trying to look slutty.

But when guys make sexual comments about you as if you're an object of sexy desire, that crosses the line, unless if you genuinely want it.

Yeah, and they're supposed to be psychic and know when? Either something crosses a line or not. I don't call it crossing a line just because an ugly chick tries to hit on me, it's absurd.


But when a girl seriously doesn't want guys making sleazy comments, she's not asking for it. Why is that hard to understand?

Now we're talking of sleazy comments. Different story. If a guy randomly makes a sleazy comment, it's clear he is a POS, so obviously any negative reaction won't register, unless it's blatant.

You can dress as a police officer for Halloween and should not be treated like an actual police officer if you know he/she's not a real police officer. It's all about the intention of wearing the clothes.

I agree. I don't want black people randomly running from me.

I thought we weren't supposed to judge a book by its cover. So why is this any different?

That's BS. You should absolutely judge a book by it's cover. How you choose to dress, carry yourself and act is who you are trying to be, which says a lot about a person.

You're supposed to read the book before you finally judge it. You can dislike the cover, but that doesn't mean the inside of the book is not likable.

It all depends on why the person is wearing this or that. Art has many different meanings, and they have different meanings for everyone.

Nobody has time to read every single book. All we have to go on is the cover to pick whether we invest more time in them, and the cover if accurate even half the time is good enough for me



I read the blurb on the back or so before I decide whether or not to buy it. It's a preview.

I know this kind of semantics doesn't really contribute anything to the discussion, but I couldn't resist this...

The back cover is also part of the cover. :P
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 12:59:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/14/2015 4:20:13 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
At 4/14/2015 12:35:42 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 4/13/2015 1:28:39 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
At 4/11/2015 6:49:18 AM, Wylted wrote:: : : :
That's BS. You should absolutely judge a book by it's cover. How you choose to dress, carry yourself and act is who you are trying to be, which says a lot about a person.

You're supposed to read the book before you finally judge it. You can dislike the cover, but that doesn't mean the inside of the book is not likable.

It all depends on why the person is wearing this or that. Art has many different meanings, and they have different meanings for everyone.

The cover of the book is also part of the book. Would you take a book on philosophy or politics seriously if it has a lolcat and other advice animals as its cover?

That's only the cover. You don't know what else is in it. Just because one part of it is stupid doesn't mean everything else in it is.
Well, if a book on philosophy has a lolcat as its cover, it shows that the author isn't serious about his own work, so we can't take him/her seriously, either.

If you look ugly from damage by fire, or some rare disease, or whatever, of course I wouldn't judge you by how you look at all; you can be an intelligent, virtuous person, regardless of physical appearance. However, if you dye your hair in seven colours, you have actively made a decision that shows you don't care how people think of you and don't take life seriously, so why should I take you seriously?

And why would anyone put lolcat or advice animals on the cover for a serious book on politics or philosophy? That's not a good analogy. No idiot would do that.
There are so many 'popular _______ (insert discipline here)' books these days that I don't see why not.
I mean, how would you feel if you threw away a book because you didn't like the cover, then you hear reviews for it saying that it's amazing because if what is inside the book, those who actually read it? Does the cover still matter most to you?

I always look inside the book first. If a book simply has a bland cover, say, something that looks it was produced in WordPad, I'm fine with it; I'll still read the insides. If the book has lolcats as its cover, as I've said, I would throw it away because it clearly can't be taken seriously.

Similarly, if someone simply has poor fashion taste, say, he looks like s/he's from the 1920s (just a hypothetical situation; I myself have zero fashion taste, so I wouldn't be able tell), I wouldn't judge him/her for that; it doesn't reflect negatively on his/her personality except perhaps that s/he doesn't care too much about latest trends. However, if someone presents himself/herself in a way that reflects badly on his/her personality, such as dying his/her hair in rainbow colours, that's when I would judge.

Saying that we shouldn't judge someone by appearance is like saying we shouldn't judge someone who smells like he hasn't bathed for a week (provided that we can assume he has access to baths, of course; there are arid regions that don't allow more than a bath per week) because of his stench.

BTW, did you read my opinion on your question?
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
ConnorSween16
Posts: 34
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 9:05:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The majority of people responding on this post are men, including myself. What say do we have in how women dress? Just because a girl is dressed a certain way, does not give us the right to cat call and/ or sexually harass them.
ConnorSween16
Trivium
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 11:24:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The way I hear it, decent guys actually feel uncomfortable on some level when they have to interact with girls who are wearing sexy clothing. Because they want to see their friends as human beings, but sometimes the friends, whether intentionally or not, make it hard.

I disagree that it is about intention. I think it is more about perception: Your own perception of yourself in the clothes that you wear, and the way other people perceive you.

I don't have a problem with other girls wearing sexy clothing but for me, that's not how I want to portray myself at all.
Student4Life1975
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 7:25:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 2:26:10 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
There are several types of attention you can get when you wear provocative clothes. There are several reasons why they wear them.

It could be they don't have any other clothes.

It could be because it's hot out.

It could just be because they like it.

Or they really are deliberately trying to look slutty.

But when guys make sexual comments about you as if you're an object of sexy desire, that crosses the line, unless if you genuinely want it.

But when a girl seriously doesn't want guys making sleazy comments, she's not asking for it. Why is that hard to understand? You can dress as a police officer for Halloween and should not be treated like an actual police officer if you know he/she's not a real police officer. It's all about the intention of wearing the clothes.

I thought we weren't supposed to judge a book by its cover. So why is this any different?

Of course Women should be able to wear what they want, this isnt Afghanistan. However, they need to understand that if they wear sexy clothing, they themselves have to be sexy as well. Meaning, when a fat chick wears lulu lemon and think it makes her look sexy, she needs to get a reality check, because lulu outfits make women who are already attractive look damn right sexy, but they dont make a 200 pound woman look like she weighs 130 like i suspect many of them do. You cant tan, color your hair and wear lulu outfits and think everyone cant notice your a fat siagusting pig underneath. Hit a treadmill and lay off the burgers instead.
there is no progress without compromise"
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 8:43:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/24/2015 7:25:35 AM, Student4Life1975 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 2:26:10 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
There are several types of attention you can get when you wear provocative clothes. There are several reasons why they wear them.

It could be they don't have any other clothes.

It could be because it's hot out.

It could just be because they like it.

Or they really are deliberately trying to look slutty.

But when guys make sexual comments about you as if you're an object of sexy desire, that crosses the line, unless if you genuinely want it.

But when a girl seriously doesn't want guys making sleazy comments, she's not asking for it. Why is that hard to understand? You can dress as a police officer for Halloween and should not be treated like an actual police officer if you know he/she's not a real police officer. It's all about the intention of wearing the clothes.

I thought we weren't supposed to judge a book by its cover. So why is this any different?

Of course Women should be able to wear what they want, this isnt Afghanistan. However, they need to understand that if they wear sexy clothing, they themselves have to be sexy as well. Meaning, when a fat chick wears lulu lemon and think it makes her look sexy, she needs to get a reality check, because lulu outfits make women who are already attractive look damn right sexy, but they dont make a 200 pound woman look like she weighs 130 like i suspect many of them do. You cant tan, color your hair and wear lulu outfits and think everyone cant notice your a fat siagusting pig underneath. Hit a treadmill and lay off the burgers instead.

I hope this is not a serious post...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Jack_Summer
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 11:00:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Should they? Well it is up to them I think. If they are going to be going into an area where the men (or even women) do not respect the rights of women (or women who dress in sexy clothing) then I think avoiding wearing such clothing would be a good idea to avoid possibly confrontation.

As for me I have no problem with it as I support the celebration of the human body.
Fuzzed
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 8:45:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Im very pro-choice, not only in the sense of abortion, but in the sense of 'its your body and you do whatever the hell you want'.

That in mind, pretending naivety towards social norms is a problem.

Dave Chappelle says it best:
"The girl says "Oh uh-uh, wait a minute! Wait a minute! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a whore!" Which is true, Gentlemen, that is true. Just because they dress a certain way doesn't mean they are a certain way. Don't even forget it. But ladies, you must understand that is f*cking confusing. It just is. Now that would be like me, Dave Chappelle, the comedian, walking down the street in a cop uniform. Somebody might run up on me saying, "Oh, thank God. Officer, help us! Come on. They're over here. Help us!" "Oh-hoh! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a police officer!" See what I mean? All right, ladies, fine. You are not a whore. But you are wearing a whore's uniform."
PatrickTheGreat
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:48:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you dress like a whore I will assume you are one. Your actions have consequences and obvious implications, stop acting stupid. It's common sense really.
Nivek
Posts: 242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 6:40:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/24/2015 7:25:35 AM, Student4Life1975 wrote:
Of course Women should be able to wear what they want, this isnt Afghanistan. However, they need to understand that if they wear sexy clothing, they themselves have to be sexy as well. Meaning, when a fat chick wears lulu lemon and think it makes her look sexy, she needs to get a reality check, because lulu outfits make women who are already attractive look damn right sexy, but they dont make a 200 pound woman look like she weighs 130 like i suspect many of them do. You cant tan, color your hair and wear lulu outfits and think everyone cant notice your a fat siagusting pig underneath. Hit a treadmill and lay off the burgers instead.

This is pathetic. So in your case, everything is about Sex? Is this it? Is that what life is all about? Sex and more sex?. And if they don't conform, they are automatically branded as a pig?. Just as it is easy for you to be bigoted,it is as easy for me to question the ego narcissist complex that so many men possess.
Nivek
Posts: 242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 6:42:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/28/2015 5:48:43 AM, PatrickTheGreat wrote:
If you dress like a whore I will assume you are one. Your actions have consequences and obvious implications, stop acting stupid. It's common sense really.

No, the only obvious consequences are your 'social rules' by which you expect everyone to follow.
Student4Life1975
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 7:26:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/28/2015 6:40:03 AM, Nivek wrote:
At 4/24/2015 7:25:35 AM, Student4Life1975 wrote:
Of course Women should be able to wear what they want, this isnt Afghanistan. However, they need to understand that if they wear sexy clothing, they themselves have to be sexy as well. Meaning, when a fat chick wears lulu lemon and think it makes her look sexy, she needs to get a reality check, because lulu outfits make women who are already attractive look damn right sexy, but they dont make a 200 pound woman look like she weighs 130 like i suspect many of them do. You cant tan, color your hair and wear lulu outfits and think everyone cant notice your a fat siagusting pig underneath. Hit a treadmill and lay off the burgers instead.

This is pathetic. So in your case, everything is about Sex? Is this it? Is that what life is all about? Sex and more sex?. And if they don't conform, they are automatically branded as a pig?. Just as it is easy for you to be bigoted,it is as easy for me to question the ego narcissist complex that so many men possess.

It was a joke, and the only thing thats pathetic was your inability to pick up on it.
there is no progress without compromise"
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 9:59:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/28/2015 7:26:47 AM, Student4Life1975 wrote:
At 4/28/2015 6:40:03 AM, Nivek wrote:
At 4/24/2015 7:25:35 AM, Student4Life1975 wrote:
Of course Women should be able to wear what they want, this isnt Afghanistan. However, they need to understand that if they wear sexy clothing, they themselves have to be sexy as well. Meaning, when a fat chick wears lulu lemon and think it makes her look sexy, she needs to get a reality check, because lulu outfits make women who are already attractive look damn right sexy, but they dont make a 200 pound woman look like she weighs 130 like i suspect many of them do. You cant tan, color your hair and wear lulu outfits and think everyone cant notice your a fat siagusting pig underneath. Hit a treadmill and lay off the burgers instead.

This is pathetic. So in your case, everything is about Sex? Is this it? Is that what life is all about? Sex and more sex?. And if they don't conform, they are automatically branded as a pig?. Just as it is easy for you to be bigoted,it is as easy for me to question the ego narcissist complex that so many men possess.

It was a joke, and the only thing thats pathetic was your inability to pick up on it.

No offence, but sarcasm isn't always obvious on DDO because we're on the Internet and we can't hear your tone. Many users have posted sarcastic comments, only to be misinterpreted. Sometimes sarcasm is obvious if the user's position on something is well known (e.g. Zarrotte pretending to be a radical feminist) but this is usually not the case. TBH, I myself was on the fence whether you were being a misogynist or a satirist. It's become almost customary on DDO to append a note to a sarcastic comment that may be misinterpreted to avoid misunderstanding, and I think you should consider doing that if you make similar posts in the future.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:42:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 2:26:10 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
There are several types of attention you can get when you wear provocative clothes. There are several reasons why they wear them.

It could be they don't have any other clothes.

It could be because it's hot out.

It could just be because they like it.

Or they really are deliberately trying to look slutty.

But when guys make sexual comments about you as if you're an object of sexy desire, that crosses the line, unless if you genuinely want it.

How could a guy tell the difference between a girl who wants comments like that and a girl who doesn't?

But when a girl seriously doesn't want guys making sleazy comments, she's not asking for it. Why is that hard to understand? You can dress as a police officer for Halloween and should not be treated like an actual police officer if you know he/she's not a real police officer. It's all about the intention of wearing the clothes.

I thought we weren't supposed to judge a book by its cover. So why is this any different?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
PatrickTheGreat
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 2:00:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/28/2015 6:42:16 AM, Nivek wrote:
At 4/28/2015 5:48:43 AM, PatrickTheGreat wrote:
If you dress like a whore I will assume you are one. Your actions have consequences and obvious implications, stop acting stupid. It's common sense really.

No, the only obvious consequences are your 'social rules' by which you expect everyone to follow.

No, wear what you please but we also have freedom to judge. If you dress like a whore I am assuming you are a whore and treating you like one. This isn't a social rule it is common sense. How you treat or think of someone really isn't my concern, I don't care if you have any dignity or self respect. But trying to force me to accept someone won't work.