Jump to topic:

Spousal Abuse a More Relevant Issue?

ConnorSween16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 10:35:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Recently I've noticed that woman on male violence is becoming more relevant, but not discouraged. It seems like if a guy hits a girl, he is a "misogynist", and is oppressing women, but a woman hits a guy, it is encouraged and acceptable, because she is "standing up against oppression". You shouldnt hit anyone, guy or girl. What do you guys think?
ConnorSween16
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 5:46:52 PM
At 4/17/2015 10:35:54 AM, ConnorSween16 wrote:
Recently I've noticed that woman on male violence is becoming more relevant, but not discouraged. It seems like if a guy hits a girl, he is a "misogynist", and is oppressing women, but a woman hits a guy, it is encouraged and acceptable, because she is "standing up against oppression". You shouldnt hit anyone, guy or girl. What do you guys think?

It's wrong for a male to hit a female because of the inherent difference in physical strength between the genders. That being said, a woman shouldn't take advantage of this and hit men, knowing she won't be hit back. I don't really know anyone who would argue that a woman hitting a man for no reason is acceptable. If it's self defense then yeah she is standing up for herself and I see no problem, because that means the guy was the aggressor. I believe people shouldn't hit each other, but it is worse for a man to hit a woman than for two men to hit each other, since one isn't a fair fight.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 6:15:57 PM
At 4/17/2015 5:46:52 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 4/17/2015 10:35:54 AM, ConnorSween16 wrote:

It's wrong for a male to hit a female because of the inherent difference in physical strength between the genders. That being said, a woman shouldn't take advantage of this and hit men, knowing she won't be hit back. I don't really know anyone who would argue that a woman hitting a man for no reason is acceptable. If it's self defense then yeah she is standing up for herself and I see no problem, because that means the guy was the aggressor. I believe people shouldn't hit each other, but it is worse for a man to hit a woman than for two men to hit each other, since one isn't a fair fight.

Perhaps in regards to the superior physical aptitude of the male and the direct consequence physically of the female, the man can inflict more harm, albeit it is unacceptable socially, and demonstrates a lack of respect for both parties.

Consider that a woman, knowing that a man is capable of inflicting harm due to his robust physical frame, and vast difference in strength and power, should abstain from provoking a man. It is asinine for a woman, aware of the parameters involved, to provoke a confrontation with a man.

A man is, on balance, capable of inflicting more damage, but this does not exclude the notion that women can potentially delver equal harm. A woman who commits abuse is equally punishable by law to that of a man.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 3:06:24 PM
At 4/28/2015 2:14:25 PM, PatrickTheGreat wrote:
"If you want to act like a man, I will treat you like a man" Equal rights, equal lefts.

Here is a great video:
https://www.youtube.com...

Using violence against violence will not solve anything. There's a better way to go about things than getting revenge for every wrong brought against you.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PatrickTheGreat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 3:13:11 PM
At 4/28/2015 3:06:24 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"If you want to act like a man, I will treat you like a man" Equal rights, equal lefts.

Here is a great video:

Using violence against violence will not solve anything. There's a better way to go about things than getting revenge for every wrong brought against you.

What is your suggestion for this? Women were never like this, when they were, they were put in there place. Because of that, they would think before acting. So what is your better solution?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 3:18:19 PM
At 4/28/2015 3:13:11 PM, PatrickTheGreat wrote:

Here is a great video:

What is your suggestion for this? Women were never like this, when they were, they were put in there place. Because of that, they would think before acting. So what is your better solution?

In case it wasn't evident, I was saying you shouldn't use violence at all, and you should reason with people instead of trying to hurt them when they are violent towards you.

Also, "putting people in their place" is a rather despicable way to view it. You're not in the right when you beat someone who slaps you.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PatrickTheGreat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 3:26:35 PM
At 4/28/2015 3:18:19 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Here is a great video:

In case it wasn't evident, I was saying you shouldn't use violence at all, and you should reason with people instead of trying to hurt them when they are violent towards you.

Also, "putting people in their place" is a rather despicable way to view it. You're not in the right when you beat someone who slaps you.

You still have not given me an alternative. And as for your statement for being on the right, that is highly subjective, I would say it is completely justified. Don't slap me of you don't want hit. I will not tolerate it. This also has good objective results imo.
jkerr3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 4:49:14 PM

Here is a great video:

I kinda agree with you here, like with the whole Ray rice thing. His girl friend attacked him in an enclosed space "an evlavator" where he has no was of running/escaping from the attack. When he acts in self defense and hits her he is made out to be the bad guy..... I mean come on people that's complete BS. Abuse is when you use force for no reason, a drunk man coming home and beating his wife every night is abuse, what Ray Rice did is not.