Jump to topic:

Do you remember being born?

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 7:14:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It's not possible to remember being born and anyone who makes that claim is mistaken. The earliest you can form memories is around 2-3 years, and even those become hazed and distorted with time, such that you either forget them altogether or reconstruct them from imagination entirely.

That said, the earliest "memory" I have is climbing out of my crib and hurting myself.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 10:55:33 PM
My earliest memory was when a bat got into my grandma's house at night and everybody was running around in their pajamas trying to chase it out with brooms. My grandma was saying don't let it get in your hair because it will become tangled in it and made it sound as if the bat wanted to get into your hair for some odd reason. I was around two or three and I thought it was the funniest thing I had ever seen.
Rosco_P_Coletrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 7:38:51 PM
At 4/19/2015 6:41:31 PM, Accipiter wrote:
If not how old were you when you had your first memory and what was it?

I remember being in diapers and being bothered that they were falling off, but have no conception of what that age would have been. So I spoke of that to my mother years ago and she told me I was out of diapers before I was two.

That yet gives me no real sense of the age of that memory except that it was evidently before I was two.

Why I remember that one crazy thing I cannot explain even to myself.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 1:19:11 AM
My earliest memory was sitting on the carpet and hearing a clanking sound in my mouth. Apparently when I was about 2 years old I swallowed a penny and had to get it removed from my throat.
Fuzzed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 9:03:15 AM
At 4/20/2015 7:38:51 PM, Rosco_P_Coletrain wrote:

I remember being in diapers and being bothered that they were falling off, but have no conception of what that age would have been. So I spoke of that to my mother years ago and she told me I was out of diapers before I was two.

That yet gives me no real sense of the age of that memory except that it was evidently before I was two.

Memory is a tricky thing.
The farther we get from them, the more we influence how we remember them, or outright create memories to fill in holes.

This has been studied and proven in multiple experiments with people, where memory could be shifted to remember things that never happened rather easily.
Circle_Craft
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 12:34:47 PM
I did not remember being born. However, my first memory is when I was three.

I was sent to the principal's office in preschool for hugging another child too hard.

While it may sound cute, I was actually suffocating him xD
Mop! Mop! Mop mop mop mop! Mooooooooop!
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 12:49:07 PM
My first memory was around the age of 3-4.

I was visiting a beach for the first time with my family.

Sadly, I remember vomiting when exposed to salt water too.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:39:45 PM

As Maikuru said, it's not possible to remember being born.

I do, however, have memories from being about 2 to 3 years old.
Tsar of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:49:16 PM
The earliest memory I have is from a very young age, probably no more than a few months old, where I was carried by my mother near a health center during war, and she was waiting in line for flour. Apart from that I remember my life from about two years of life.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:56:31 PM
At 4/25/2015 2:49:16 PM, Mirza wrote:
The earliest memory I have is from a very young age, probably no more than a few months old, where I was carried by my mother near a health center during war, and she was waiting in line for flour. Apart from that I remember my life from about two years of life.
I was definitely more than a year as my mother recalls. Still good to have a memory from a young age; I wish there were more.
Rosco_P_Coletrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 4:22:15 PM
At 4/25/2015 9:03:15 AM, Fuzzed wrote:

The farther we get from them, the more we influence how we remember them, or outright create memories to fill in holes.

This has been studied and proven in multiple experiments with people, where memory could be shifted to remember things that never happened rather easily.

Yes, and that is what one must bear in mind when they jump to believing our memories that far back by attaching conclusions to them. Those memories were shaped in great part by how we at that time were able to perceive things, which may or may not have been accurate.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 5:33:18 PM
At 4/25/2015 4:22:15 PM, Rosco_P_Coletrain wrote:

Yes, and that is what one must bear in mind when they jump to believing our memories that far back by attaching conclusions to them. Those memories were shaped in great part by how we at that time were able to perceive things, which may or may not have been accurate.

When I told my mother two weeks ago about my memory of a bat getting into my grandparent's house she was shocked I remembered it and confirmed that it really happened so I'm pretty sure it really happened.
Rosco_P_Coletrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 6:35:41 PM
At 4/25/2015 5:33:18 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 4/25/2015 4:22:15 PM, Rosco_P_Coletrain wrote:

When I told my mother two weeks ago about my memory of a bat getting into my grandparent's house she was shocked I remembered it and confirmed that it really happened so I'm pretty sure it really happened.

Yes, that is similar to my own experience. I can't remember a ton of detail but there are certain things I do remember.

I suppose those memories might be able to be used as a base upon which to try to remember more but until I find a reason to do so I don't bother to try.

I think that is true for most of us. I could be wrong, though.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 5:10:08 PM

4 years old. Playing in the grass with my mom and puppy. I most vividly remember this little kid multi coloured sunhat that I was wearing at the time.
Gustav_Adolf_II
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 9:39:36 AM

It was my 3rd birthday party and I was running through the kitchen, I bumped into my sister and fell down.

The next earliest memory is from my 4th birthday party and I was eating a giant plate full of Swedish pancakes.
"Quoting yourself only makes you look like an arrogant jerk" - Gustav_Adolf_II
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 1:46:22 PM
I can remember back to when I was about two.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam