What actually defines "emo"?

twsurber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 6:24:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is just for my knowledge, looking for some help from the field:

Is it like a mix of not quite goth & not quite skateboard? Is cutting part of emo or is it case by case? Is it frumpy fitting clothes and converse shoes? What exactly is emo? or rather, is there a way to identify groups/cliques?

Thanks
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 6:57:49 AM
At 8/2/2010 6:24:46 AM, twsurber wrote:

Is it like a mix of not quite goth & not quite skateboard? Is cutting part of emo or is it case by case? Is it frumpy fitting clothes and converse shoes? What exactly is emo? or rather, is there a way to identify groups/cliques?

Thanks

I've never seen emo's dressed in frumpy clothes, quite the opposite. Emo's appear to me to be 3/4 indie and 1/4 goth.

I can recognise them, I don't know what the specific criteria is. It's like you can always recognise a Jehovahs witness, and distinguish them from the Mormons.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 8:06:25 AM
Being Emo is a broad title that covers a lot of different styles of emotionally-charged music and feelings. Emo means emotional. The classification of new rising way of feeling your inner self. Also being emo has taken over the way one expresses themselves while dressing. The style of pants you wear to the way you style your hair. One thing above all Being Emo means being comfortable with yourself. It is a more direct way of altering the feelings one has without words, just emotions. Some say emo is just another label.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 8:07:01 AM
Emo actually appears to have two different meanings one relating to the style of music and the other is used as a label that people use to describe a particular group. The origin of emo originally came from the Indie music style that is called Emotive Hardcore which is a sub-genre of punk so basically the music is punk rock and the people that wear the emo label appear to be misunderstood and that they feel life is not fair to them. A great website to look further into the emo life style visit http://www.gothic.net.......
CrysisPillar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 8:07:03 AM
It's just a clique thing - I have absolutely no idea what "defines" it because people have differing views of what it really even means. It's supposed to mean "emotional," but then that would mean that people who tend to cry a lot and the people in drama class are emo? It's really not something you can explain.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 8:12:27 AM
I'm pretty sure "emo" is just teen angst expressed in another form (maybe more sappy or artistic). In terms of fashion, I'd say it's the skinny jeans... and there's not a worse fashion faux pas in my eyes then a guy in skinny jeans... tight t-shirt, annoying haircut and possibly black framed glasses. I have framed glasses but clearly I'm not trying to adhere to this stereotype - heh. I think they listen to indie rock, pop-punk and some other random genre to make them appear interesting and versatile (ya know, for edge). The guys seem like they have no nads whatsoever. The girls look too emotionally high maintenance to be any fun to date. Meh I'm not into emo lol at all.
President of DDO
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 8:14:50 AM
At 8/2/2010 8:12:27 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm pretty sure "emo" is just teen angst expressed in another form (maybe more sappy or artistic). In terms of fashion, I'd say it's the skinny jeans... and there's not a worse fashion faux pas in my eyes then a guy in skinny jeans... tight t-shirt, annoying haircut and possibly black framed glasses. I have framed glasses but clearly I'm not trying to adhere to this stereotype - heh. I think they listen to indie rock, pop-punk and some other random genre to make them appear interesting and versatile (ya know, for edge). The guys seem like they have no nads whatsoever. The girls look too emotionally high maintenance to be any fun to date. Meh I'm not into emo lol at all.

Are you prep?
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 9:09:51 AM
Emo

*Anti-Social
*Is hated by most of the popular kids
*His hairstyle is always a sidebang
*Wears a combination or either blue & black OR green & black
*Does not shave
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 4:00:04 PM
At 8/2/2010 9:09:51 AM, lastrequest691 wrote:
Emo

*Anti-Social
*Is hated by most of the popular kids
*His hairstyle is always a sidebang
*Wears a combination or either blue & black OR green & black
*Does not shave

How can they be anti-social when about 50% of the kids that age are emo, and they are generally incapable of growing facial hair, either being girls or being about 12.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 4:31:28 PM
I've said this before. I like emos, especially the girl ones. They usually have low self-esteem, and are slightly messed up and loony... it makes it easier to coerce them into certain things.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 5:25:18 PM
At 8/2/2010 6:24:46 AM, twsurber wrote:

Thanks

Emo is tricky to explain because of the stereotypes and ppl that kill you for giving the right answer.

Emo is just emotional. thats a it means. It started being called emo because of the music. Then emos started usuay wearing about the same things, but you don't have to to be emo.

Cutting is assiociated with it, but not a emos cut. Cutting usuay goes with it because most think emos are depressed all the time (they aren't) and when someone's depressed they often cut, because it makes them feel better.

Emo is no big deal and emos are like the best people I know because they actually care about stuff and not just superficial stuff that most ppl do. I also ike the stye that most think of when emo is brought up. Idk why so many ppl hate them/us cause emos are awesome and usuay pretty hot.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 5:32:21 PM
Emo chicks are hot. I love black hair and pale skin.

I'd say Emo is 0.333% goth, 0.5% indie and 0.1666% punk rock.
This leaves 0.001%, which is made of their b!tch-as$ tears.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 5:32:42 PM
At 8/2/2010 4:31:28 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
" I've said this before. I like emos, especially the girl ones. "

Same, but emo guys are the best (kind of guys) too.

"They usually have low self-esteem, and are slightly messed up and loony... "

Often true

"it makes it easier to coerce them into certain things."

perhaps, but I don't go for pervy reasons.

@l you really have no cue what your missing out on emos are the best, and when people are emotional it just makes me feel better to know I'm heping them feel better. Its alot better then being a superficial stuck up prep that cares way to much about being an anorexic slut lmao.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 5:43:36 PM
At 8/2/2010 5:33:30 PM, FREEDO wrote:
What are all the groups exactly?

I was in the emo group in highschool. I didn't realise at the time and I've never dressed emo, but it just happened that the friends I made through high-school were the ones that developed into emos.
We shared musical taste (Dropkick Murphys, Rancid, Bad Religion, NOFX, ect) so it just fit. Like I said, emo chicks are best.
We called the popular girls the "IT" crowd. Not because they looked like Pennywise though. :P
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 6:58:04 PM
At 8/2/2010 5:32:21 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Emo chicks are hot. I love black hair and pale skin.

I'd say Emo is 0.333% goth, 0.5% indie and 0.1666% punk rock.
This leaves 0.001%, which is made of their b!tch-as$ tears.

Someone got confused in math.

I know what you're trying to do, but you fail. The percent sign already denotes "1/100."
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 6:59:40 PM
At 8/2/2010 5:43:36 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I was in the emo group in highschool. I didn't realise at the time and I've never dressed emo, but it just happened that the friends I made through high-school were the ones that developed into emos.
We shared musical taste (Dropkick Murphys, Rancid, Bad Religion, NOFX, ect) so it just fit. Like I said, emo chicks are best.
We called the popular girls the "IT" crowd. Not because they looked like Pennywise though. :P

In highschool I was friends with many of the straight edge, studious people.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:52:50 PM
At 8/2/2010 7:51:50 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
Emo = emotional

Many of them are posers, going by that definition. Leave the depression to the people who actually are depressed.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:59:25 PM
At 8/2/2010 7:52:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Emo = emotional

Many of them are posers, going by that definition. Leave the depression to the people who actually are depressed.

you can be emotional without being depressed...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 3:33:07 PM
At 8/2/2010 7:59:25 PM, belle wrote:
Emo = emotional

Seriously. I think INH is racist against emos.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 3:33:56 PM
At 8/3/2010 3:33:07 PM, lovelife wrote:
Emo = emotional

Emos are not a race.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 3:35:28 PM
At 8/2/2010 6:59:40 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/2/2010 5:43:36 PM, tvellalott wrote:

In highschool I was friends with many of the straight edge, studious people.

lol That would be me. But my friends aren't like me. One of them made me cry with how much ignorant crap she ranted about emos. Then she tried to make me like yaoi and when I didn't she threw me to my stalker to be raped and killed. I don't really like my friends tho.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 3:36:15 PM
At 8/3/2010 3:33:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/3/2010 3:33:07 PM, lovelife wrote:
Emo = emotional

Emos are not a race.

They are the superior race. But seriously you know what I mean