Jump to topic:

A Child needs a Father

Chi_chillix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 3:57:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm starting this topic based on an assumption that all children need, and have a right to having a father. This assertion has ramifications for lesbian couples who decide to have children as well as mothers who decide to use sperm to raise a child alone (for example because they don't have a spouse).

The argument has been that both girls and boys need fathers because only fathers can teach them certain things, like how to shave, how to treat a man and what makes for good husband material. But can these things only be learnt directly from a human with male physiology?

My proposition is that all children need as much love as possible, from whomever and wherever this comes from. Some of the greatest men and women in recorded history were either fatherless, adopted or even orphans, Aristotle, Moses, Prophet Mohamad, Nelson Mandela, Steve Jobs to name a few.

Children need a father because society thinks they need a father. So when growing up without a father the common feelings of being alone or empty in this world which are experienced by many people at some point in their life, is related to the lack of the presence of a father. However, children raised by someone or something that gives them hope, be it an individual or a particular faith or their belief in God find wholeness instead of emptiness.

There is nothing tangibly significant about having a father, although having as much love as possible as a child is ideal. There are plenty of people who grow up with both father and mother who become incredibly dysfunctional. If the loss of a father creates dysfunction it is only because the loss of any attachment figure does that. The feeling of abandonment and not being loved will create insecurities for anyone regardless of which attachment figure leaves - father, mother, grandparent etc. It is the sense of being unwanted that creates an issue (that can be resolved) and not the physical absence of a human with male genitalia.

Your thoughts?
We are the result of what we have thought
BriaBrnx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 7:47:06 PM
I agree with your sentiments. Science tells us that the psychological similarities between men and women far outweigh the differences (and that the differences aren't typically huge as it is), and as such, I consider it illogical to believe that one's sex substantially influences parenting. I feel as though people merely hold the belief that it does because of social conditioning, rather than facts.
briantheliberal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 9:25:38 PM
At 4/29/2015 3:57:57 AM, Chi_chillix wrote:
I'm starting this topic based on an assumption that all children need, and have a right to having a father. This assertion has ramifications for lesbian couples who decide to have children as well as mothers who decide to use sperm to raise a child alone (for example because they don't have a spouse).

The argument has been that both girls and boys need fathers because only fathers can teach them certain things, like how to shave, how to treat a man and what makes for good husband material. But can these things only be learnt directly from a human with male physiology?

My proposition is that all children need as much love as possible, from whomever and wherever this comes from. Some of the greatest men and women in recorded history were either fatherless, adopted or even orphans, Aristotle, Moses, Prophet Mohamad, Nelson Mandela, Steve Jobs to name a few.

Children need a father because society thinks they need a father. So when growing up without a father the common feelings of being alone or empty in this world which are experienced by many people at some point in their life, is related to the lack of the presence of a father. However, children raised by someone or something that gives them hope, be it an individual or a particular faith or their belief in God find wholeness instead of emptiness.

There is nothing tangibly significant about having a father, although having as much love as possible as a child is ideal. There are plenty of people who grow up with both father and mother who become incredibly dysfunctional. If the loss of a father creates dysfunction it is only because the loss of any attachment figure does that. The feeling of abandonment and not being loved will create insecurities for anyone regardless of which attachment figure leaves - father, mother, grandparent etc. It is the sense of being unwanted that creates an issue (that can be resolved) and not the physical absence of a human with male genitalia.

Your thoughts?

I pretty much agree with you. Children don't need a father, they need parents, regardless of their sex or gender who are willing and capable of emotionally, financially supporting them in such a crucial time in their physical, educational and psychological development. And a community that is also willing to support and uplift them to become upstanding citizens. I didn't need my father simply because he has a penis and testicles between his legs, the only job they had was getting me here. I needed him for his support, protection and financial stability.

- Peace