Jump to topic:

Lane Splitting

Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 6:20:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So I just recently had a lengthy debate with one of my friends over lane splitting. He believes motorcycles and bicycles should be allowed to drive in-between lanes through traffic. He claims there will be no increase in the number of cycle related accidents, however i think it will lead to many more injuries and deaths. Should it or shouldn't it be legal.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 6:43:40 PM
At 4/30/2015 6:20:04 PM, Rubikx wrote:
So I just recently had a lengthy debate with one of my friends over lane splitting. He believes motorcycles and bicycles should be allowed to drive in-between lanes through traffic. He claims there will be no increase in the number of cycle related accidents, however i think it will lead to many more injuries and deaths. Should it or shouldn't it be legal.

It will lead to more deaths, because it will piss people off that have to wait in traffic while the motorcycle gets to essentially "cut in line." This increase in anger among drivers will result in more road rage and so more accidents.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 7:25:01 PM
At 4/30/2015 6:43:40 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

It will lead to more deaths, because it will piss people off that have to wait in traffic while the motorcycle gets to essentially "cut in line." This increase in anger among drivers will result in more road rage and so more accidents.

This will also provide a greater incentive to use motorcycles, likely resulting in more deaths.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 7:44:53 PM
At 4/30/2015 7:25:01 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/30/2015 6:43:40 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

This will also provide a greater incentive to use motorcycles, likely resulting in more deaths.

That's a good point.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 11:18:29 AM

Lane splitting is in use in California, and disproves any concern about increased accidents, or deaths.
Motorycle riders are actually safer.
"A motorcycle"s narrow width can allow it to pass between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars on roadways where the lanes are wide enough to offer an adequate gap. This option can provide an escape route for motorcyclists who would otherwise be trapped or struck from behind. There is evidence (Hurt, 1981) that traveling between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars (i.e., lane splitting) on multiple-lane roads (such as interstate highways) slightly reduces crash frequency compared with staying within the lane and moving with other traffic.
http://americanmotorcyclist.com...

The American Motorcycle Association endorses lane splitting.
~ ~
A yearlong California study of motorcycle lane-splitting has concluded the practice is no more dangerous than motorcycling in general, if the rider is going at speeds similar to or only slightly faster than the surrounding traffic.
http://www.sacbee.com...

~ ~
In that study, done this year by Ewald & Wasserman Research Consultants in San Francisco, almost 61 percent of vehicle drivers surveyed said they believe lane splitting is legal for motorcyclists, an increase of about 5 percent over results from a 2013 survey.
The opinion study also found that more than 52 percent of motorists approve of lane splitting, an increase of 8 percent over the approval rating in 2013.
[so even though only 61% know it I legal, 52% approve of it.]

The study found that lane-splitting accidents most often occurred during commute hours and that lane-splitting motorcyclists were more likely to rear-end a vehicle and less likely to be rear-ended. Lane splitters involved in crashes suffered less severe injuries and wore better helmets than motorcyclists involved in accidents unrelated to lane splitting, the study found.
http://www.pe.com...
~ ~
Their report for the California Office of Traffic Safety concludes that the practice isn't just sensible for escaping traffic, it also found that lane splitters are "notably less likely to suffer head injury (9.1% vs 16.5%), torso injury (18.6% vs 27.3%), or fatal injury (1.4% vs 3.1%) than other motorcyclists." In addition, when lane splitters did not greatly exceed the speed of surrounding traffic, they had the lowest proportion of injuries. Perhaps surprisingly, the research shows that lane splitting"when executed at a reasonable speed with the proper gear"actually makes riding safer.
http://www.roadandtrack.com...

There have not been enough studies because of the expense, but what has been done is favorable for legalizing lane splitting.

The major problem is getting the four wheeled vehicle drivers used to the idea, as they soon approve of it. It reduces congestion, and reduces commute times.
Motorcycle drivers are safer when lane splitting is legal, and there has been sufficient four wheeled driver education.

A lot of this stuff is counterintuitive.
For example, helmet laws are not effective at saving lives. Helmets may be, but laws are not, for a variety of reasons. This can be shown statistically.
In many states the rate of rider death increased when mandatory laws were instituted, and death rates decreased in states where mandatory laws were repealed.
If a five ton truck runs over a 500 pound motorcycle and rider, a helmet is worthless.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 2:07:46 PM

If it would be illegal for a car to do so, even if it had room, then it should be illegal for a bike or motorbike to do so. They are all vehicles, after all.
My work here is, finally, done.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 6:01:08 PM
At 5/1/2015 2:07:46 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

If it would be illegal for a car to do so, even if it had room, then it should be illegal for a bike or motorbike to do so. They are all vehicles, after all.

I tried similar, it did not fly.
For some reason, no state wants to make helmets mandatory for cars and trucks.
Go figure.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 11:10:59 PM
At 5/1/2015 6:01:08 PM, Welfare-Worker wrote:

Go figure.

Different requirements for use of vehicle =/= different rules of the road
Car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle, you must stop at a stop sign, even if you only need a license to drive three, and a special license for two.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 7:09:20 AM
At 5/1/2015 11:10:59 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/1/2015 6:01:08 PM, Welfare-Worker wrote:

Go figure.

Different requirements for use of vehicle =/= different rules of the road
Car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle, you must stop at a stop sign, even if you only need a license to drive three, and a special license for two.

You might think that, but you would be wrong, according to law enforcement.

In most states motorcycles are permitted to ride side by side, in a single lane.
It has been that way my fifty years of riding, in various states at various times.
I haven't checked lately, but it is most states last time I checked.
I never heard any objections from the cagers.
To my knowledge, cars and trucks have never been permitted to do this, whether there is room or not..

In some states there are "motorcycle only" check points. If you are on a motorcycle, you are pulled over, for "safety and education" reasons.
The American Motorcycle Association is against this, I assume you are as well.

In some parking garages Motorcycles are forbidden from parking - it is illegal.
Yes, not a 'rule of the road' technically. Noted.

On most interstates there is a minimum engine requirement, or you are forbidden from using the highway.

Some 'motorcycles' do not require an operators license. This is often referred to as the "moped law", but all two wheeled vehicles under 50cc qualify, not just mopeds.

And that stopping at stop signs - I assume that means red lights as well?
Some stop lights have under pavement sensors to detect vehicles, and some Motorcycles do not activate them, so a red light will never change to green, Motorcycles are permitted to go through the red lights, after stopping of course.

So there are a lot of precedent for having different 'rules of the road' for motorcycles.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 8:59:47 AM
At 5/2/2015 7:09:20 AM, Welfare-Worker wrote:
You win this round. LOL
I'll give you the side by side rule; I'd argue any other point. But, that rule is enough.

I still don't think it should be legal, as I think it is imposes too much of a safety risk to pedestrians, bikers, and cars (not really the drivers, but the cars themselves).
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 9:24:59 AM
At 5/2/2015 8:59:47 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/2/2015 7:09:20 AM, Welfare-Worker wrote:
You win this round. LOL
I'll give you the side by side rule; I'd argue any other point. But, that rule is enough.

I still don't think it should be legal, as I think it is imposes too much of a safety risk to pedestrians, bikers, and cars (not really the drivers, but the cars themselves).

Well, that is the whole point of my references, there is not an increased safety risk.
There may well be a decreased risk for the motorcyclists themselves.

One study showed that lane-splitting nationally could prevent 18,000 freeway motorcycle accidents and up to 170 motorcyclist fatalities annually.
http://www.latimes.com...

No one (pro or con) seems concerned about pedestrians, as there are no pedestrians where the vast majority of lane splitting occurs.

The results show 1) the frequency of lane splitting on the freeway declines as speed increases, and the decrease is particularly sharp when average traffic speeds exceed 40 mph (65 km/hr), 2) lane splitting occurred in less than 1% of all motorcycle accidents and and 7% of freeway crashes; 2) lane-splitting crashes occurred almost exclusively in heavily congested traffic, usually on freeways and 3) lane-splitting motorcycles were under-represented in the 1976-77 crashes: they were 63% of motorcycles observed in heavily congested freeway traffic lanes but only 29% of the crashes" a difference that was statistically significant. The absolute numbers of lane splitting crashes are small and therefore need confirmation. However, if this finding remains valid, then laws that ban lane-splitting may increase crash risks for motorcyclists.
http://www.google.com...