Jump to topic:

Should bullying be considered a federal crime

ausomefire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 8:10:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
So basically I am doing a report for school and it's a debate. How can bullying be a federal crime but also wondering how it can not.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 9:43:34 AM
At 5/1/2015 8:10:20 AM, ausomefire wrote:
So basically I am doing a report for school and it's a debate. How can bullying be a federal crime but also wondering how it can not.

Why are you specifying federal? Are you sure you want to argue federal law over state law?
PatrickTheGreat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 6:53:21 PM

It shouldn't be considered a crime. We don't need a nanny state.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 11:29:34 PM

One could argue that, if it is to be a crime, it could be federal, in that most bullying occurs in schools, which receive federal funds, or via internet, which is subject to federal regulations (notice how interstate interactions are federal crimes).

One could argue that bullying is already illegal, as it is either: harassment, assault, battery, or threats, all of which are currently illegal.

Why is should not be, would be more of an issue of state's enforcing their own criminal codes, and that online bullying isn't illegal, as it is protected by freedom of speech and only affects the bullied if they choose to maintain a presence where they are bullied (i.e. facebook).
My work here is, finally, done.