Total Posts:3|Showing Posts:1-3
Jump to topic:

Is the Wage Gap A Real Issue In the U.S.

ConnorSween16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2015 7:58:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Me and my girlfriend, who are both feminists were debating whether or not the wage gap is real or not. I do not think it is real just for this scenario; If me and her apply for the exact same job and we both meet the exact same qualifications, we are 100% equal. Realistically, the company would hire her so they can save money for the same quality of work.
She countered that statement with; we are in a male dominated society so they would hire you (a white male), over me just for the fact that you are a male.

Which I don't think is accurate just for the fact that American business men and women know how to save money. If the wage gap is real, they would hire predominently females to fill the positions to save money.

For those who don't know what the wage gap is, it is a rumor (it could be factual) that females make 77 cents per every 1 dollar that a male makes.

I'm just curious what you guys have to say about it. As I said, I have my opinion, but I am open minded to hear what others have to say .
ConnorSween16
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2015 9:18:21 AM
At 5/4/2015 7:58:18 AM, ConnorSween16 wrote:
Me and my girlfriend, who are both feminists were debating whether or not the wage gap is real or not. I do not think it is real just for this scenario; If me and her apply for the exact same job and we both meet the exact same qualifications, we are 100% equal. Realistically, the company would hire her so they can save money for the same quality of work.
She countered that statement with; we are in a male dominated society so they would hire you (a white male), over me just for the fact that you are a male.

Which I don't think is accurate just for the fact that American business men and women know how to save money. If the wage gap is real, they would hire predominently females to fill the positions to save money.

For those who don't know what the wage gap is, it is a rumor (it could be factual) that females make 77 cents per every 1 dollar that a male makes.

I'm just curious what you guys have to say about it. As I said, I have my opinion, but I am open minded to hear what others have to say .

First of all, the whole concept of the wage gap is taken from misunderstood statistics. If you average all female salaries and compare them to all male salaries, you get a difference of 77 cents to a dollar. If however, you control for age, education, experience and field, however, the gap shrinks to somewhere between 2-4 cents. Meaning, about 97 cents to a dollar. So the issue isn't that businesses are choosing to pay women less than men because they are women. What's happening is that a) women choose to go into fields that pay less than some male dominated fields (think nursing vs engineering for example). And b) women have less job experience than men on average, because many women take time off to have kids, and possibly stay at home with them for a few years. If you want to change those things, that's fine. Encourage women to not have kids, or encourage men to stay at home with the kids instead of the women, or encourage girls to study math and science or whatever. But businesses definitely do not discriminate to the extent that 77 cents to a dollar seems to suggest.

This means that if you and your girlfriend had equal qualifications and applied for the same job, not only would they not give her preferential treatment because they could pay her less, but if it could be shown that they pay her less than her male colleagues who are equally qualified, that business could be sued. So I don't think they would hire you just because you're male, and they definitely wouldn't hire her with the intention to pay her less than they'd pay a male hire. Now, if she had worked less years than you because she took time off to have kids, then yes they'd pay her less. And that's where the myth of the wage gap originates.
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 3:56:38 PM
you are paid what you are worth. most women don't have the drive or the determination, to do what is necessary to get ahead in a career.

if you really think you are being paid less because of your gender, then get a lawyer and sue the company that you work for. yes, it is that simple.

it's a good thing that the patriarchy won't allow women to create their own companies, or else women could set their own wages. LONG LIVE THE PATRIARCHY