Jump to topic:

Identities and Labels in Society Today

Gustav_Adolf_II
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 9:31:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
It seems to me that the young people of today (meaning people in their teens and 20's) are becoming increasingly obsessed with what they identify as and how labels are used. Now don't get me wrong, when I was their age I did things like that too, but I grew out of it about the time I turned 18 as did my peers. But there are still a lot of people in their late teens and 20's that still haven't grown out of that phase yet. And now some of these people are having a strong effect on politics and I'm concerned about how this problem will affect generations to come afterwards. So yeah, this forum is to discuss this problem, please respond.
"Quoting yourself only makes you look like an arrogant jerk" - Gustav_Adolf_II
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 9:41:20 AM
At 5/8/2015 9:31:14 AM, Gustav_Adolf_II wrote:
It seems to me that the young people of today (meaning people in their teens and 20's) are becoming increasingly obsessed with what they identify as and how labels are used. Now don't get me wrong, when I was their age I did things like that too, but I grew out of it about the time I turned 18 as did my peers. But there are still a lot of people in their late teens and 20's that still haven't grown out of that phase yet. And now some of these people are having a strong effect on politics and I'm concerned about how this problem will affect generations to come afterwards. So yeah, this forum is to discuss this problem, please respond.

Without labels how will we know what food we are buying?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 2:55:04 PM
At 5/8/2015 9:41:20 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Without labels how will we know what food we are buying?

That and most retail stores use labels so customers and employees can identify different manufactures of clothing.

The other day I was in Marshalls and noticed various articles of clothing. Without labels, I would have not been able to identify and differentiate them, unless I solicited information from an employee, which given my socially inept behavior was unfavorable.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 8:52:55 PM

Okay, lets give a real answer. First, the "issue" that you are describing is not really here. Every generation has been fascinated with labels. In the past, it was far worse than it is now. And it wasn't just the teens that grew out of it. We need not look further than the communist witch hunts that were done by adults. This was done in the 20's and 50's.

Currently, we are bucking labels more than ever. The number of people that no longer tie themselves to the dichotomy of Republican and Democrat is at an all time high of 42%

http://www.gallup.com...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"