Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Americans & Travelling

I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 9:24:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Only 22% of Americans have passports http://www.theexpeditioner.com...

The article gives some of the main reasons as to why Americans aren't big on international travel (Cost & Culture), but I was curious to hear from any Americans here as to why more than 3 in 4 Americans don't have passports. Do any Americans here not have passports? Do any never plan to travel abroad?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 9:41:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/6/2010 9:24:04 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only 22% of Americans have passports http://www.theexpeditioner.com...

The article gives some of the main reasons as to why Americans aren't big on international travel (Cost & Culture), but I was curious to hear from any Americans here as to why more than 3 in 4 Americans don't have passports. Do any Americans here not have passports? Do any never plan to travel abroad?

I have an expired one.

also I think a good reason we don't "travel"

is that our countries freaking HUGE... so we prolly travel just almost as much as the norm... just not "abroad"
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 9:41:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/6/2010 9:24:04 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only 22% of Americans have passports http://www.theexpeditioner.com...

The article gives some of the main reasons as to why Americans aren't big on international travel (Cost & Culture), but I was curious to hear from any Americans here as to why more than 3 in 4 Americans don't have passports. Do any Americans here not have passports? Do any never plan to travel abroad?

I'm not a Jodrell myself, as you know, but I think a big reason is that Americans get very little paid annual leave - my adult cousins in America only get between 5-10 days.

If you have that little paid time off work it is difficult to justify travelling to a long-haul destination.

Also, they don't need passports for Mexico or Canada.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 9:48:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/6/2010 9:41:43 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 8/6/2010 9:24:04 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only 22% of Americans have passports http://www.theexpeditioner.com...

The article gives some of the main reasons as to why Americans aren't big on international travel (Cost & Culture), but I was curious to hear from any Americans here as to why more than 3 in 4 Americans don't have passports. Do any Americans here not have passports? Do any never plan to travel abroad?

I'm not a Jodrell myself, as you know, but I think a big reason is that Americans get very little paid annual leave - my adult cousins in America only get between 5-10 days.

If you have that little paid time off work it is difficult to justify travelling to a long-haul destination.

Also, they don't need passports for Mexico or Canada.

They can't visit Canada without a passport according to the article.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 10:58:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/6/2010 9:41:43 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 8/6/2010 9:24:04 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only 22% of Americans have passports http://www.theexpeditioner.com...

The article gives some of the main reasons as to why Americans aren't big on international travel (Cost & Culture), but I was curious to hear from any Americans here as to why more than 3 in 4 Americans don't have passports. Do any Americans here not have passports? Do any never plan to travel abroad?

I'm not a Jodrell myself, as you know, but I think a big reason is that Americans get very little paid annual leave - my adult cousins in America only get between 5-10 days.

If you have that little paid time off work it is difficult to justify travelling to a long-haul destination.

Also, they don't need passports for Mexico or Canada.

If you don't have a passport and papers in Mexico the police beat the crap out of you, take everything you have, then throw you into a Mexican prison where if you are luck you will get out alive.

Which is kind of funny if you consider that they are always whining about how if they get caught without papers all we do is deport them
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 1:24:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/6/2010 9:48:23 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

They can't visit Canada without a passport according to the article.

That's true actually. When Americans go to canada by plane they need to have passports and vice verse. Canada needs them too.
Anarcho
Posts: 887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 1:32:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/6/2010 1:24:36 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/6/2010 9:48:23 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

They can't visit Canada without a passport according to the article.

That's true actually. When Americans go to canada by plane they need to have passports and vice verse. Canada needs them too.

Yep, and it just increased in price too.
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 8:31:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/6/2010 9:24:04 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only 22% of Americans have passports http://www.theexpeditioner.com...

The article gives some of the main reasons as to why Americans aren't big on international travel (Cost & Culture), but I was curious to hear from any Americans here as to why more than 3 in 4 Americans don't have passports. Do any Americans here not have passports? Do any never plan to travel abroad?

Most Americans I've come in contact with just don't care about traveling abroad; too out of their comfort zone.

Even my mom is like that and it is just completely insane to me. I love to travel to different countries.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Zeitgeist
Posts: 430
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:40:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why don't Americans travel?

Travel broadens the mind. *

That's why most Americans don't travel. It's too painful an experience.

Especially to learn that the American way is NOT the universally best way also that most people don't like American people OR American values.

*nb….. The origin of this comes from "Chronicles of Clovis" by Saki, specifically "The Way to the Dairy", and is actually

‘Travel enlarges the mind, my dear Christine,' said her aunt. ‘Yes, dear aunt, travel undertaken in the right spirit,' agreed Christine;

‘but travel pursued merely as a means towards gambling and extravagant living is more likely to contract the purse than to enlarge the mind.'


I like much of Saki's work.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:48:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 2:40:41 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:
Why don't Americans travel?

Travel broadens the mind. *

That's why most Americans don't travel. It's too painful an experience.

Especially to learn that the American way is NOT the universally best way also that most people don't like American people OR American values.

*nb….. The origin of this comes from "Chronicles of Clovis" by Saki, specifically "The Way to the Dairy", and is actually

‘Travel enlarges the mind, my dear Christine,' said her aunt. ‘Yes, dear aunt, travel undertaken in the right spirit,' agreed Christine;

‘but travel pursued merely as a means towards gambling and extravagant living is more likely to contract the purse than to enlarge the mind.'


I like much of Saki's work.

Many americans do have that attitude, sadly. I personally think people should take whatever opportunities they get to travel. One of my main goals in life is to travel the world. I love learning about other cultures plus there's historical sites I want to see.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 3:26:19 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 2:40:41 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:
Why don't Americans travel?

Travel broadens the mind. *

That's why most Americans don't travel. It's too painful an experience.

Especially to learn that the American way is NOT the universally best way also that most people don't like American people OR American values.

Way to upset the Jodrell Banks, Zeitgeist!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Zeitgeist
Posts: 430
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 3:45:57 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 3:26:19 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:40:41 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:
Why don't Americans travel?

Travel broadens the mind. *

That's why most Americans don't travel. It's too painful an experience.

Especially to learn that the American way is NOT the universally best way also that most people don't like American people OR American values.

Way to upset the Jodrell Banks, Zeitgeist!

If the truth hurts then the problem lies with the recipient, not with the donor.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 4:10:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 3:45:57 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:
At 8/7/2010 3:26:19 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:40:41 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:
Why don't Americans travel?

Travel broadens the mind. *

That's why most Americans don't travel. It's too painful an experience.

Especially to learn that the American way is NOT the universally best way also that most people don't like American people OR American values.

Way to upset the Jodrell Banks, Zeitgeist!

If the truth hurts then the problem lies with the recipient, not with the donor.

What if this universal "truth" is provided by a slightly ignorant and rude doctor?
Zeitgeist
Posts: 430
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 4:19:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 4:10:21 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/7/2010 3:45:57 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:
At 8/7/2010 3:26:19 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:40:41 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:
Why don't Americans travel?

Travel broadens the mind. *

That's why most Americans don't travel. It's too painful an experience.

Especially to learn that the American way is NOT the universally best way also that most people don't like American people OR American values.

Way to upset the Jodrell Banks, Zeitgeist!

If the truth hurts then the problem lies with the recipient, not with the donor.

What if this universal "truth" is provided by a slightly ignorant and rude doctor?

LOL!

Then it would not BE the truth! But this particular doctor is far from ignorant even if a little ..... forthright!
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 4:44:58 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/6/2010 10:58:21 AM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
If you don't have a passport and papers in Mexico the police beat the crap out of you, take everything you have, then throw you into a Mexican prison where if you are luck you will get out alive.

Which is kind of funny if you consider that they are always whining about how if they get caught without papers all we do is deport them

not even close. lol. i went to mexico without a passport and encountered no trouble at all. the only problem now would be getting back into the US without it.

and i don't bother getting a passport because i know i won't be able to afford traveling out of the country anytime soon. lol.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 7:43:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 4:19:21 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:
At 8/7/2010 4:10:21 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/7/2010 3:45:57 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:
At 8/7/2010 3:26:19 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:40:41 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:
Why don't Americans travel?

Travel broadens the mind. *

That's why most Americans don't travel. It's too painful an experience.

Especially to learn that the American way is NOT the universally best way also that most people don't like American people OR American values.

Way to upset the Jodrell Banks, Zeitgeist!

If the truth hurts then the problem lies with the recipient, not with the donor.

What if this universal "truth" is provided by a slightly ignorant and rude doctor?

LOL!

Then it would not BE the truth! But this particular doctor is far from ignorant even if a little ..... forthright

That's why I put the "truth" in quotation marks.