Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 6:07:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What do you think of this?

http://www.9news.com...
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 6:13:17 PM
really, really stupid. Giving a 10% discount to people because their skin tone is just dumb. I don't really get America's obsession with race
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 6:28:16 PM
At 5/9/2015 6:07:15 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

It's obviously wrong, as other races aren't necessarily given restaurant discounts (that I know of). I think the real question is whether this should be allowed at all. Do restaurant owners have the right to give discounts to certain races?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 6:40:59 PM
It's about time White people get some sort of advantage.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 6:44:26 PM
At 5/9/2015 6:13:17 PM, thett3 wrote:
really, really stupid. Giving a 10% discount to people because their skin tone is just dumb. I don't really get America's obsession with race
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 6:45:54 PM
No race should get an "appreciation day", "heritage week", "pride day" or "history month". The idea in itself is racist.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 6:52:26 PM
At 5/9/2015 6:45:54 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
No race should get an "appreciation day", "heritage week", "pride day" or "history month". The idea in itself is racist.

This is a very ignorant post. I hope you're joking but I fear you aren't.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 6:53:50 PM
At 5/9/2015 6:52:26 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

I'm not joking. And it's not an ignorant post.

The DDO Blog:

Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 6:56:05 PM
My cynical side says that it could be a brilliant marketing move. I can only assume that most of the area is white, and this could be a ploy to expose his restaurant to more business than ever before.

But I honestly feel that it is misguided in any case. I would boycott the restaurant, discount or not, just for making such a racial publicity stunt.

What some people don't want to admit is that having pride for being white is inherently racist because of the sadly well established history of white supremacy. White is not in itself a culture; it is not a nationality. Rather people should have pride in being American, Irish, Dutch, German, Finnish, Swedish, English, etc.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 6:57:38 PM
At 5/9/2015 6:56:05 PM, Fly wrote:
My cynical side says that it could be a brilliant marketing move. I can only assume that most of the area is white, and this could be a ploy to expose his restaurant to more business than ever before.

But I honestly feel that it is misguided in any case. I would boycott the restaurant, discount or not, just for making such a racial publicity stunt.

What some people don't want to admit is that having pride for being white is inherently racist because of the sadly well established history of white supremacy. White is not in itself a culture; it is not a nationality. Rather people should have pride in being American, Irish, Dutch, German, Finnish, Swedish, English, etc.

But being proud of one's blackness is just fine?

The DDO Blog:

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:01:34 PM
At 5/9/2015 6:57:38 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Do you think there is such a thing as "White culture" in the US? What about "Black culture?" Someone was talking about this to me the other day and I'm just curious about your thoughts.
- lamerde

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:01:35 PM

Well, I suppose that if you were to count Blacks as a group like Irish-American or Chinese-American you could say that.

The DDO Blog:

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:02:24 PM
At 5/9/2015 6:52:26 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

Do you mind if I ask you the same thing I just asked Vox? Do you think there is such a thing as "White culture" in the US? What about "Black culture?"
- lamerde

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:02:45 PM
At 5/9/2015 7:01:34 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Do you think there is such a thing as "White culture" in the US? What about "Black culture?" Someone was talking about this to me the other day and I'm just curious about your thoughts.

See post 12.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:04:32 PM
To be fair, though, an American with Irish or British ancestry hardly ever thinks about it or expresses pride in that ethnic background, whereas many other groups do.

The DDO Blog:

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:04:58 PM
At 5/9/2015 7:02:45 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

See post 12.

Do you think these systems are hierarchical, such that Irish-American and German-American cultures, for example, are subsumed by a higher-order White culture, or instead do you view them as distinct?
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:06:10 PM

Do you think we should just stop talking about race?
- lamerde

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:08:52 PM
At 5/9/2015 6:07:15 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

I think it's hilarious and pathetic. I also think that the way people have reacted to it is absurd.

If people want to be stupid, let them... just don't do business with them. There are so many more important things in life.

When white people have "white appreciation day" that's code for "I am pathetic."
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:09:12 PM
At 5/9/2015 7:06:10 PM, Maikuru wrote:

No, that would be dumb too because actual race issues pop up all the time. I just don't think we should look at the world through a racial lens, which a lot of americans do
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:09:16 PM
At 5/9/2015 7:04:58 PM, Maikuru wrote:

See post 12.

Do you think these systems are hierarchical, such that Irish-American and German-American cultures, for example, are subsumed by a higher-order White culture, or instead do you view them as distinct?

I suppose there is no distinct "White culture". There's "Western culture", but that's universal these days. There's distinct European cultures, but that's about it, honestly.

The DDO Blog:

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:15:19 PM
At 5/9/2015 7:09:12 PM, thett3 wrote:

No, that would be dumb too because actual race issues pop up all the time. I just don't think we should look at the world through a racial lens, which a lot of americans do

I respect that. I was talking to a guy once and I told him I do some work on race issues and he went off, talking about how we should stop discussing race because that perpetuates the problem. I understand the frustration, as we really are inundated with race-related issues and discussions in this country. When issues do arise, though, we can't just close our eyes to it.

Also, this restaurant thing is pretty dumb lol
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:17:37 PM
At 5/9/2015 7:09:16 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 5/9/2015 7:04:58 PM, Maikuru wrote:

See post 12.

I suppose there is no distinct "White culture". There's "Western culture", but that's universal these days. There's distinct European cultures, but that's about it, honestly.

I agree with you. I'd also say there are distinct African cultures, but there's also a separate Black culture in the US. It's not that way elsewhere. The US is unusual in the way we conceptualize race, heritage, and nationality.
- lamerde

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:23:27 PM
At 5/9/2015 7:15:19 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I respect that. I was talking to a guy once and I told him I do some work on race issues and he went off, talking about how we should stop discussing race because that perpetuates the problem. I understand the frustration, as we really are inundated with race-related issues and discussions in this country. When issues do arise, though, we can't just close our eyes to it.

People share this photo on Facebook all the time of Morgan Freeman saying the solution to racism is to "stop talking about it" (which I doubt is his actual position) and not at all the solution. I think the problem now is that most racism these days isn't open but subtle, so white people don't often see it which makes it very difficult to convince them that it still really exists. And the media has to be blamed for some things, it really does. Take the Trayvon Martin shooting. Was there a racial element to it? Heck yes there was. Is doctoring the phone call so that Zimmerman said "This guy looks up to no good. He looks black." when really he was asked about the race and then answered a good way to convince people who are already inclined to think racism doesn't exist a good way to create a dialogue on the issue? I don't think so.

The fixation on race cheapens the experience of actual racism, imo. At the very least it makes it seem far less credible

DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:25:04 PM
At 5/9/2015 7:23:27 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 5/9/2015 7:15:19 PM, Maikuru wrote:

People share this photo on Facebook all the time of Morgan Freeman saying the solution to racism is to "stop talking about it" (which I doubt is his actual position) and not at all the solution. I think the problem now is that most racism these days isn't open but subtle, so white people don't often see it which makes it very difficult to convince them that it still really exists. And the media has to be blamed for some things, it really does. Take the Trayvon Martin shooting. Was there a racial element to it? Heck yes there was. Is doctoring the phone call so that Zimmerman said "This guy looks up to no good. He looks black." when really he was asked about the race and then answered a good way to convince people who are already inclined to think racism doesn't exist that it does? I don't think so.

Fixed. Two sentences combined....

The fixation on race cheapens the experience of actual racism, imo. At the very least it makes it seem far less credible

DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:57:49 PM
At 5/9/2015 7:01:35 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Well, I suppose that if you were to count Blacks as a group like Irish-American or Chinese-American you could say that.

The very important distinction that I learned about rather recently on this aspect is the fact that blacks in the US were basically stolen from their various home countries. They have no written records of where they came from, so their black/African American identity is all they have. It is not the ideal, just the reality.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 6:49:08 AM

I agree, its stupid.................should be at least 20% off.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 9:38:27 AM
At 5/9/2015 7:57:49 PM, Fly wrote:

The very important distinction that I learned about rather recently on this aspect is the fact that blacks in the US were basically stolen from their various home countries. They have no written records of where they came from, so their black/African American identity is all they have. It is not the ideal, just the reality.

While this is true, this is generations ago.
I don't know any white people who go around talking about the old country and their heritage, unless they are second generation Americans or newer. I don't get my identity from whereever it is I'm from, because I'm not from there, nor were my parents, nor theirs. Hell, I'm not even Catholic like my grandparents.

I don't think heritage really plays a part in an American's life, so, I don't see why, I assume a majority but clearly not all of, blacks would care their ancestors were stolen, and thus, have no idea where they are from. (care is a poor choice of word, but fits, since I am referring to identity)
My work here is, finally, done.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 9:33:31 PM
At 5/10/2015 9:38:27 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/9/2015 7:57:49 PM, Fly wrote:

While this is true, this is generations ago.
I don't know any white people who go around talking about the old country and their heritage, unless they are second generation Americans or newer. I don't get my identity from whereever it is I'm from, because I'm not from there, nor were my parents, nor theirs. Hell, I'm not even Catholic like my grandparents.

I don't think heritage really plays a part in an American's life, so, I don't see why, I assume a majority but clearly not all of, blacks would care their ancestors were stolen, and thus, have no idea where they are from. (care is a poor choice of word, but fits, since I am referring to identity)

First of all, you are making the mistake of projecting your values onto everyone else. And I am not simply speaking of overseas heritage; I mean one's whole family heritage in general-- in and out of the USA. It happens to be very important in my family-- more so for my parents and grandparents than myself, though.

Second, if simply identifying with one's American heritage is what is most desirable, you cannot deny that the experience of African Americans is distinctly different as a group from Americans of European ancestry. Hence, their sense of identity as an American is inevitably going to be substantially different.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 9:55:26 PM
And I noticed you even made another thread in order to explore the issue of being aware of one's heritage ; )
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 12:24:36 AM
Several problems:

1) What is "white?" Who are "white" people? How do you define them? Conservatives will argue that it is "obvious" or "apparent" and that detractors are being too "politically correct." But race has never been a scientific term. Ethnic groups have a ancestral and somewhat scientific basis but "race" is an entirely societal construct.

2) Even if you define "whites" to be everyone who descended from Europeans, what about multi-ethnic people? Is Obama "white?" Will he receive a discount if he shows up and calls himself "white?"

3) The black history month and Hispanic months are a red herring. My objection there is different from most others who object on the grounds that whites had advantages in the US. I think the real problem is that the restaurant gave no indication that they also have "days" for the other ethnic groups/races.

4) Let's say they have a day for whites, a day for blacks, a day for asians, and a day for hispanics. What about people of other ethnic groups? Native Americans? Filipinos? Egyptians? This is essentially discriminating ethnic minorities.