Jump to topic:

White American Heritage Pride

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 10:04:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is a question to white Americans who are at least second generation Americans (i.e. your parents were born here):

Do you celebrate your heritage?
Do you identify with your ancestor's foreign culture?
Do you celebrate it?
Do you think about it?

I do not, but, allegedly, my father was adopted, so that's half the history I don't know, so, naturally, I wouldn't care about "my" past.
Obviously anyone can answer, but I'm curious about white non-immigrants.

To anyone:
If whites don't care about their heritage, why do other American groups? Is it because we are the majority? Privileged? Because race is so important, but not really, in America?
Like, I know American's "celebrate" St. Patrick's Day, but we don't really celebrate it - it is just a reason to get drunk.
My work here is, finally, done.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 10:47:59 AM
At 5/10/2015 10:04:39 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
This is a question to white Americans who are at least second generation Americans (i.e. your parents were born here):

Yes.
To some extent. But due to certain situations in Germany, we hold a resentment for parts of it.
Do you celebrate it?
I celebrate a few traditions of my family. Such as Walpurgisnight, May day, etc.
We also try to hold our ancestral burial practices.
Do you think about it?
Quite often. According to records we've been able to find and stories (our "Main House" in America burned down during the depression so... our records were mostly burned with it) we're a family of soldiers. That continues today, actually. I plan on being an Officer and many of my older male relatives have served in various positions.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 12:52:59 PM

No, I could care less. I think for the most part people who celebrate their heritage are racist. I understand white people do it as a reactionary thing to what many racists do, but it's still inappropriate.

No, I could care less about Ireland.

Do you celebrate it?

Well, sometimes I do drink heavy on St' Patties day, but I never wear green.

Do you think about it?

Nope

I do not, but, allegedly, my father was adopted, so that's half the history I don't know, so, naturally, I wouldn't care about "my" past.

To anyone:
If whites don't care about their heritage, why do other American groups? Is it because we are the majority? Privileged? Because race is so important, but not really, in America?
Like, I know American's "celebrate" St. Patrick's Day, but we don't really celebrate it - it is just a reason to get drunk.

Other people celebrate it as an attempt to maintain a separate identity than American, when really they should just identify as American. Even immigrants who make America their home, should identify as American and I really respect those who do.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 1:13:17 PM

Not really. There's a lot to be said about the total lack of cultural heritage among white americans.

The most recent ancestors of mine to immigrate here came from Russia in the 1890's and were Jewish. I *certainly* don't identify with that culture considering I didn't even know it was in my bloodline til I was like 15. My other ancestors have been here so long that I couldn't find any records of any of them immigrating. My mothers family was Irish so they presumably came during the potato famine, and my fathers family has been here so long that it's all mixed up but it's almost entirely Celtic (Northern English/lowland Scots/Welsh). When you're like a 10th generation immigrant and your ancestors come from some of the largest American you don't grow up hearing a lot about the old country...so tl;dr no I don't identify with any of my ancestors cultures.

Do you celebrate it?
Do you think about it?

I think about my ancestors a lot. But it's hard to really identify with them. Most of my dad's family has seriously been here since the 1700's. It just isn't the same as if your grandparents came from Mexico or something. There's no connection with that culture except the historical impact they had on your present day society.

To anyone:
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 1:31:32 PM
At 5/10/2015 10:47:59 AM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Yes.

Uh, aren't you black, though?

To some extent. But due to certain situations in Germany, we hold a resentment for parts of it.
Do you celebrate it?
I celebrate a few traditions of my family. Such as Walpurgisnight, May day, etc.
We also try to hold our ancestral burial practices.
Do you think about it?
Quite often. According to records we've been able to find and stories (our "Main House" in America burned down during the depression so... our records were mostly burned with it) we're a family of soldiers. That continues today, actually. I plan on being an Officer and many of my older male relatives have served in various positions.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 1:36:01 PM
At 5/10/2015 1:31:32 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 5/10/2015 10:47:59 AM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Yes.

Uh, aren't you black, though?
Yep
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 6:05:47 PM

The Scottish and German portions of it, yes.

No.

Do you celebrate it?

Every time I open a bottle of single malt.

Do you think about it?

See above.

To anyone:

There is no such thing as "white" culture. It is a myth; an illusion designed to inflame the passions of emotionally volatile white people who feel left behind the zeitgeist.
Tsar of DDO
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 12:55:06 AM
I suppose I have the stereotypical 'WASP' culture from my maternal grandmother's side of the family, though without the Protestant part, as they've all been atheists for at least four generations, and that that has been the most formative to me. I do enjoy it, but I'm not sure about 'celebrate'.

I identify on some level with just about any culture; I don't really feel anything special for the melange from which I am descended.

Do you celebrate it?
No, we're detached from it at this point.

Do you think about it?
Yeah, just because it's interesting. My maternal grandfather's family came from a country which no longer exists (it was carved up by Poland, Czechoclovakia, and the Ukraine). My maternal grandmother's family, in one branch, can be traced back to an indentured servant on the Mayflower, and another branch comes from Prince Edward Island. Another branch is Manx. My father's side is Pennsylvania Dutch. There's a lot of history there.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
briantheliberal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 2:42:12 AM

Yes and no. Although I do acknowledge certain aspects of my European heritage, I don't necessarily celebrate it.

No. I am American. I wasn't actually born in the United Kingdom, Germany or any part of Europe. I also don't identify with any part of my African, Latin American or South Asian culture either.

Do you celebrate it?

Again no.

Do you think about it?

Yes, quite often. I am always curious about it.

To anyone:

Whites in America do care about their heritage, it's just not a topic of everyday conversation for most people, including non-whites.

Most white Americans, or Americans in general don't actually "celebrate" St. Patrick's Day, but then again, most Americans aren't of Irish descent. Personally, I don't think it matters very much.
Gustav_Adolf_II
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 1:08:51 PM

Yes, I am a proud descendant of Scandinavians and Scots.
Absolutely.
Do you celebrate it?
Yes.
Do you think about it?
At least once a week.

To anyone:

My reasoning is due to the factors of there being less non-white people than white people and the culture being primarily western, it would be easier for non-white groups in America to develop their own "ethnic identity" separate from the broader culture partially derived from their own ancestors' cultures. On the whole St. Patrick's Day thing, I think Americans treat every holiday as a reason to get drunk, that and there are so many different cultures in America it's hard for Americans to celebrate a holiday specific to just one.
"Quoting yourself only makes you look like an arrogant jerk" - Gustav_Adolf_II
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 2:07:29 PM
There's no reason to be proud of your heritage. Whether you're white, black, asian whatever, it's just the genes you were born with. It's not like you should be proud of it, it's just something you're born into. Your race is not a personal decesion you make.
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 2:58:55 PM

Not Really no.
No
Do you celebrate it?
No
Do you think about it?
No
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
briantheliberal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 4:38:45 PM
At 5/12/2015 2:07:29 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
There's no reason to be proud of your heritage. Whether you're white, black, asian whatever, it's just the genes you were born with. It's not like you should be proud of it, it's just something you're born into. Your race is not a personal decesion you make.

I completely agree.