I need help with this for a project can I get some opinons

People died.
Titanium_Conservative1776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 9:44:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
First off, what Civil War do you want information about? The American Civil War? The Chinese Civil War? The Syrian Civil War? Please identify the war you are referring to. Second, what information about that war do you want? You can't just type "Civil War" as the topic and say I need information about it because nobody will know what you want or what you are talking about. Please be much more specific about what war you would like information on and what information about that war that you want. Then I may be able to help you.
k0rbyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 10:04:48 AM
At 5/11/2015 9:44:24 AM, Titanium_Conservative1776 wrote:
First off, what Civil War do you want information about? The American Civil War? The Chinese Civil War? The Syrian Civil War? Please identify the war you are referring to. Second, what information about that war do you want? You can't just type "Civil War" as the topic and say I need information about it because nobody will know what you want or what you are talking about. Please be much more specific about what war you would like information on and what information about that war that you want. Then I may be able to help you.

American Civil war I need help for a skit were doing in class
k0rbyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 10:05:48 AM

Also I need info on Bull run The first battle and advantages
k0rbyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 10:06:17 AM

Also I need info on Bull run
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 11:10:25 AM
At 5/11/2015 9:32:53 AM, k0rbyn wrote:

In the 1860 election, abolitionist Republican candidate Abraham Lincoln got elected President of the United States. The South, which consisted of slave states, was worried that a blatantly abolitionist president would abolish slavery, an outcome the South found undesirable, seeing as how their economy was largely dependent on slave labor.
So, one by one the Southern states seceded. In 1861 the States which had seceded got together and formed the Confederate States of America. However, the Civil War did not start until about a month after this, when Confederate forces fired upon Fort Sumter, a Union fort in Confederate territory that wasn't evacuated when the South left the Union.
So, upon the Fort Sumter incident the American Civil War began. In 1865 the Confederates were defeated, slavery was abolished, and the South was, after a period of military occupation called Reconstruction, reincorporated into the United States.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 11:23:31 AM
At 5/11/2015 9:35:49 AM, Varrack wrote:
At 5/11/2015 9:32:53 AM, k0rbyn wrote:

People died.

lol
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Titanium_Conservative1776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 3:15:37 PM
As Vox_Veritas posted, the election of Abraham Lincoln was a major factor in the secession of the southern states during late 1860 and early 1861. but he is incorrect in stating that Lincoln was blatantly an abolitionist president. Lincoln did believe slavery was morally wrong, but he did not openly oppose slavery in the South. Lincoln mainly opposed the expansion of slavery into the western territories. However, fearing that Lincoln may eventually outlaw slavery, the slave states seceded and the war began in April 1861 following the capitulation of Fort Sumter to Confederate troops. The first major conflict of the battle was the Battle of Bull Run. Now to be clear, the South referred to the battle as the Battle of Manassas. Both sides referred to the battle with different names based on two different philosophies. The North referred to it as Bull Run because the fighting took place along the Bull Run Creek while the South called it Manassas because the battle took place just outside the town of Manassas Junction. the difference in names were also prevalent among the army names for the two sides. the North named their armies according to rivers (the Army of the Potomac, the Army of the Cumberland) while the South named their armies based upon geographical features or areas (the Army of Northern Virginia, the Army of the Valley).

Both sides believed the war would be over in several months. But the battle proved to both sides that the war could potentially be long and drawn out, which was, too the South, undesirable. This is because the South knew they did not have the resources, industry, or the manpower to fight a war of attrition, even if they remained defensive for the entirety of the conflict. The North wanted to capture the Manassas Junction because it was a major railroad hub in northern Virginia. The capture of such a key infrastructure would allow the North to send, by train, troops and supplies for the advance to Richmond. Also, a victory would be a massive blow to Southern morale. However, several factors led to the North's failure in the battle. First off, the Northern army had no combat experience except a short boot camp training program. Besides that, the men were green. Now while the Southern forces were also green, many of the soldiers were frontiersman and hunters who had experience with a firearm and riding horseback. the north's second disadvantage was that they were fighting upon unknown territory. The land was well known to many Southern regiments and the knowledge of the land proved to be a morale booster for the South. other factors leading to the North's demise ion the battle included hasty planning and the failure to formulate a plan B just in case they encountered more than they bargained for.

Getting into the actual battle, the general of the Northern forces was Brigadier General Irvin McDowell. At this point in time, the Northern force was known as the Army of Northeastern Virginia. It would not be until after the battle that the name would be changed to the Army of the Potomac. Oddly enough, the Confederate army at the time of the battle was called the Army of the Potomac. So essentially they switched names. Try not to get too confused. But getting back on topic, despite the South's evident advantages, the North began the fight with well performance. Both sides planned to outflank the other on the left, however lack of communication and general lack of coordination led to confusion within the Confederate ranks and the order was never carried out. Exploiting the confusion, Northern troops were able to cross the Bull Run Creek and push the Southerners off of Matthew's Hill, threatening to collapse the Southern army. However the Northern advance on Confederate positions atop Henry Hill were slowed by some confusion with the orders, but finally by mid-afternoon, the Army of Northeastern Virginia was advancing on the Confederate strong point. But despite shelling from Northern cannon batteries, the North's failure to quickly advance on Henry Hill allowed Brigadier General Thomas Jackson and his brigade of Virginians to take position atop the hill. After several failed attacks upon Henry Hill by Union forces, the Confederates, reinforced by several fresh divisions brought up from Richmond by General Johnston, counterattacked. Exhausted and battered from daylong fighting, the counterattack by fresh, eager Southern divisions proved irresistible and the Northern army retreated in disarray. Though a delaying action by a Union rearguard proved moderately successful in delaying the Confederate advance, the disorderly retreat resulted in the capture of hundreds of Union soldiers. During the battle, the success of General Jackson earned him the nickname "Stonewall" Jackson, by which he is known to this day.

Following the battle, both sides, as stated before, realized the war would be longer and more brutal than what they had imagined. Northern civilians were shocked by the defeat of their army especially after an easy victory was anticipated. in July 1861, Lincoln called for the enlistment of another 500,000 men for three years. With that, the Civil War had begun.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project. :)