Total Posts:38|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What tradition..?

lastrequest691
Posts: 339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 8:02:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
If I had a woman who lived in another continent and we got married so what kind of traditions will our marriage take place.

Will the marriage take place in the boy's marriage tradition or the girls'?

As far as I know this place has no marriage tradition so I guess it will be girl's.
Just Curious.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 8:04:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
In wedding's it is all about what the woman wants. No matter what you say all she will hear is "do whatever you want sweetheart regardless of what I say" your only job is to show up on time
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 11:31:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/6/2010 8:04:29 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
In wedding's it is all about what the woman wants. No matter what you say all she will hear is "do whatever you want sweetheart regardless of what I say" your only job is to show up on time

Remarkable wisdom from one so young.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 11:34:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/6/2010 11:32:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If I got married according to islamic tradition my partner would have to pay me dowry. ^_^

and once he paid for you... he'd own you :/
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 11:34:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/6/2010 11:34:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
he'd own you :/

pretty much. At least in Traditional Saudi Arabia.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 11:35:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/6/2010 11:34:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:32:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If I got married according to islamic tradition my partner would have to pay me dowry. ^_^

and once he paid for you... he'd own you :/

Nope. It doesn't work that way. He would be expected to provide for me. I could go get a high paying job and keep all my money to do what I will with it.
Zeitgeist
Posts: 430
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 1:14:53 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/6/2010 11:34:52 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:34:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
he'd own you :/

pretty much. At least in Traditional Saudi Arabia.

And in most of what are now Islamic colonies in Europe, and especially inthe UK.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 1:51:55 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/6/2010 11:35:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:34:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:32:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If I got married according to islamic tradition my partner would have to pay me dowry. ^_^

and once he paid for you... he'd own you :/

Nope. It doesn't work that way. He would be expected to provide for me. I could go get a high paying job and keep all my money to do what I will with it.

Since when?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 1:53:58 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 1:51:55 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:35:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:34:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:32:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If I got married according to islamic tradition my partner would have to pay me dowry. ^_^

and once he paid for you... he'd own you :/

Nope. It doesn't work that way. He would be expected to provide for me. I could go get a high paying job and keep all my money to do what I will with it.

Since when?

Since the Qur'an was written.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 1:54:26 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 1:51:55 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:35:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:34:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:32:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If I got married according to islamic tradition my partner would have to pay me dowry. ^_^

and once he paid for you... he'd own you :/

Nope. It doesn't work that way. He would be expected to provide for me. I could go get a high paying job and keep all my money to do what I will with it.

Since when?

Since Muslims started living in the west. Snowballs chance in hell of that happening anywhere in the middle east.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 1:56:13 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 1:53:58 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:51:55 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:35:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:34:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:32:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If I got married according to islamic tradition my partner would have to pay me dowry. ^_^

and once he paid for you... he'd own you :/

Nope. It doesn't work that way. He would be expected to provide for me. I could go get a high paying job and keep all my money to do what I will with it.

Since when?

Since the Qur'an was written.

I'm pretty sure when he owns you must do as he says.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 1:57:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 1:56:13 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:53:58 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:51:55 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:35:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:34:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:32:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If I got married according to islamic tradition my partner would have to pay me dowry. ^_^

and once he paid for you... he'd own you :/

Nope. It doesn't work that way. He would be expected to provide for me. I could go get a high paying job and keep all my money to do what I will with it.

Since when?

Since the Qur'an was written.

I'm pretty sure when he owns you must do as he says.

Nope. He doesn't "own" his wife.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:07:45 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 1:57:21 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:56:13 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:53:58 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:51:55 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:35:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:34:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:32:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If I got married according to islamic tradition my partner would have to pay me dowry. ^_^

and once he paid for you... he'd own you :/

Nope. It doesn't work that way. He would be expected to provide for me. I could go get a high paying job and keep all my money to do what I will with it.

Since when?

Since the Qur'an was written.

I'm pretty sure when he owns you must do as he says.

Nope. He doesn't "own" his wife.

"Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme." Quran, 4:34

Skeptic form but look it up.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:08:31 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 2:07:45 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:57:21 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:56:13 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:53:58 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:51:55 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:35:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:34:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:32:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If I got married according to islamic tradition my partner would have to pay me dowry. ^_^

and once he paid for you... he'd own you :/

Nope. It doesn't work that way. He would be expected to provide for me. I could go get a high paying job and keep all my money to do what I will with it.

Since when?

Since the Qur'an was written.

I'm pretty sure when he owns you must do as he says.

Nope. He doesn't "own" his wife.

"Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme." Quran, 4:34

Skeptic form but look it up.

*sigh*

Everybody misinterprets that verse.
Zeitgeist
Posts: 430
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:09:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 2:08:31 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
"Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme." Quran, 4:34

Skeptic form but look it up.

*sigh*

Everybody misinterprets that verse.

You're right, most people do.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:12:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 2:08:31 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:07:45 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:57:21 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:56:13 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:53:58 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:51:55 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:35:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:34:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:32:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If I got married according to islamic tradition my partner would have to pay me dowry. ^_^

and once he paid for you... he'd own you :/

Nope. It doesn't work that way. He would be expected to provide for me. I could go get a high paying job and keep all my money to do what I will with it.

Since when?

Since the Qur'an was written.

I'm pretty sure when he owns you must do as he says.

Nope. He doesn't "own" his wife.

"Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme." Quran, 4:34

Skeptic form but look it up.

*sigh*

Everybody misinterprets that verse.

So what does it mean then, sorry to be an a5s.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:12:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 2:12:12 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:08:31 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:07:45 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:57:21 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:56:13 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:53:58 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:51:55 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:35:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:34:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:32:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If I got married according to islamic tradition my partner would have to pay me dowry. ^_^

and once he paid for you... he'd own you :/

Nope. It doesn't work that way. He would be expected to provide for me. I could go get a high paying job and keep all my money to do what I will with it.

Since when?

Since the Qur'an was written.

I'm pretty sure when he owns you must do as he says.

Nope. He doesn't "own" his wife.

"Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme." Quran, 4:34

Skeptic form but look it up.

*sigh*

Everybody misinterprets that verse.

So what does it mean then, sorry to be an a5s.

Didn't you and Mirza discuss it in your debate?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:16:15 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 2:12:50 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:12:12 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:08:31 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:07:45 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:57:21 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:56:13 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:53:58 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 1:51:55 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:35:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:34:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/6/2010 11:32:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If I got married according to islamic tradition my partner would have to pay me dowry. ^_^

and once he paid for you... he'd own you :/

Nope. It doesn't work that way. He would be expected to provide for me. I could go get a high paying job and keep all my money to do what I will with it.

Since when?

Since the Qur'an was written.

I'm pretty sure when he owns you must do as he says.

Nope. He doesn't "own" his wife.

"Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme." Quran, 4:34

Skeptic form but look it up.

*sigh*

Everybody misinterprets that verse.

So what does it mean then, sorry to be an a5s.

Didn't you and Mirza discuss it in your debate?

I don't think so, it was not really relevant. I think we talked about it on the forum. He seems to have no issue with the obvious meanings of it.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:19:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 2:16:15 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I don't think so, it was not really relevant. I think we talked about it on the forum. He seems to have no issue with the obvious meanings of it.

Well it's pretty much what I said back on like the second page. Upon marriage, a muslim man is expected to provide for his wife. As for the part about beating, many scholars don't interpret it as physically beating your wife. More mentally beating your wife. Depriving her of sex is a good example.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:21:18 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 2:19:23 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:16:15 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I don't think so, it was not really relevant. I think we talked about it on the forum. He seems to have no issue with the obvious meanings of it.

Well it's pretty much what I said back on like the second page. Upon marriage, a muslim man is expected to provide for his wife. As for the part about beating, many scholars don't interpret it as physically beating your wife. More mentally beating your wife. Depriving her of sex is a good example.

But the passage actually says 'beat'. And I don't really think husbands denying their wives sex has the same effect as the other way round.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:23:19 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 2:21:18 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:19:23 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:16:15 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I don't think so, it was not really relevant. I think we talked about it on the forum. He seems to have no issue with the obvious meanings of it.

Well it's pretty much what I said back on like the second page. Upon marriage, a muslim man is expected to provide for his wife. As for the part about beating, many scholars don't interpret it as physically beating your wife. More mentally beating your wife. Depriving her of sex is a good example.

But the passage actually says 'beat'. And I don't really think husbands denying their wives sex has the same effect as the other way round.

admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. I think that part is key.
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:23:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ah, attaching whatever meanings we want to a passage when it's convenient. A tactic enjoyed by the religious everywhere.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:26:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 2:25:56 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
idribuhunna - to beat non-fatally.

New word not in my Arabic vocabulary.

you know arabic? I'm trying to learn.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:41:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 2:26:29 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:25:56 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
idribuhunna - to beat non-fatally.

New word not in my Arabic vocabulary.

you know arabic? I'm trying to learn.

South Sudanese, born in Egypt, you know this stuff. The Überlong pms conversations with Mirza.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:45:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 2:41:05 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:26:29 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:25:56 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
idribuhunna - to beat non-fatally.

New word not in my Arabic vocabulary.

you know arabic? I'm trying to learn.

South Sudanese, born in Egypt, you know this stuff. The Überlong pms conversations with Mirza.

Oh yea, those. As soon as I get to a proper school I'm enrolling in Arabic classes.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:48:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/7/2010 2:45:05 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:41:05 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:26:29 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/7/2010 2:25:56 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
idribuhunna - to beat non-fatally.

New word not in my Arabic vocabulary.

you know arabic? I'm trying to learn.

South Sudanese, born in Egypt, you know this stuff. The Überlong pms conversations with Mirza.

Oh yea, those. As soon as I get to a proper school I'm enrolling in Arabic classes.

ehh? Wat cha mean?

What languages do you speak?

Isn't it getting late, I'm going to make breakfast then go out for the day, it's like 2am in canada?
'sup DDO -- july 2013