Jump to topic:

kids are turning into androids!

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 4:58:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So...my co-worker's wife is the nurse at a local high school. She told him that she is seeing h.s. girls having full-blown panic attacks sometimes when the get to school and realizze they forgot their cell phones.

That's right people, full-blown. Not just, "Oh damn..I forgot my cell!" But actual legitimate medical conditions where first-aid is required, as in restricted exhalation capture (breathing into a bag so as to prevent hyperventilation) and sometimes even a medication to slow their rapid heartrate, or tachycardia.

Doubt it? Ask any school nurse you might know. You'll see.

I have known for along time that social media and especially cell phones are ergregiously eroding the social skills of the young. Some of them actually have difficulty forming full sentences with strangers, or in interviews.

I was on my motorcycle at a stoplight the other day. I saw to college-age girls wlaking toward eachother on the sidewalk. As they closed to within about 50 meters of each other they both, simulatneously, reached intto their pockets to grab their pretend cell phone calls. I have witnessed this "fake talking" myself many times.

I struck-up a convo in the grocery checkout line with a young wman in front of me a couple weeks ago. She immediately reached into her pocket for her cell--as if it were a lifeline. Let me say that I do not come across as some weirdo dude. I am clean-cut and well-kempt and was dressed in business casual attire. It was in a well-lit and upscale store in a nice part of town.

Soe of you will say I am being too harsh on kids and their cells, and coming across like an old-fogie. (I am barely 40.) But I stand by my opinion--and that of many other mental health professionals--and say that cells are having a very negative affect on their addicted users. Kids are turning into a nation of Cell Zombies. Androids.

My friend is a manager at a retail store where kids like to work and he says their interview skills are atrocious. On par with how a retarded kid wold act, say, 30 years ago.

What say you? I believe the worst offenders of this addiction are girls/women, from ages of about 14-mid 20s.

Thanks for your well-thought responses.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 4:17:32 PM
LOL------seems like I pushed a few buttons with this thread, as I notice a decided dearth of young women whom are willing--intellectually capable?--of responding or debating my OP opinion.

I'll keep waiting though and see if there are any androi....er...I mean women who want to discuss.

But I sure wouldn't bet on it!

Drew
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 8:54:02 PM
Why the hell would you randomly converse with a stranger in line?

I can tell you before I ever had a cellphone, strangers trying to talk to me annoyed the hell out of me.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 5:37:12 PM
At 6/8/2015 8:54:02 PM, Wylted wrote:

I can tell you before I ever had a cellphone, strangers trying to talk to me annoyed the hell out of me.

what are you doing on this forum if not to discuss things?
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 7:18:22 AM
At 6/9/2015 5:37:12 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/8/2015 8:54:02 PM, Wylted wrote:

what are you doing on this forum if not to discuss things?

He was talking about the girls you saw.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Debaterv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 8:41:08 AM
Is stranger that your sparking a random conversation with someone younger than you to be honest. Most people my age talk each other quite often, more so than 50 years ago for example. If you can prove that that's a bad thing then go ahead
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 5:53:08 PM
At 6/20/2015 8:41:08 AM, Debaterv wrote:
Is stranger that your sparking a random conversation with someone younger than you to be honest. Most people my age talk each other quite often, more so than 50 years ago for example. If you can prove that that's a bad thing then go ahead

I ain't buying that argument--that it is strange for "an older" guy like me to strike up a convo with a younger woman.

I am 39. I can easily pass for younger. The woman in question was in her mid-20s.

So what? I maintain her actions were patently foolish and juvenile, ans only confirmed my OP opinion: that young people's social skills are eroding faster than a snow cone on a Phoenix side walk in August. And that the primary reason for this is their absurd dependence on their cell phones.
Conservative12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 10:49:29 PM
I am 39. I can easily pass for younger. The woman in question was in her mid-20s.

Ya there's your problem you are much older than here about 50% older than her age, most women don't really like to converse with random strangers.

Every generation has their own thing and this generation will be much more integrated with society.

Are they turning into androids? No, it's just a change in the way things operate and frankly it is a much more efficient way of communication. I am in my early 20s and I have never ever seen anything like you described in full blown panic attacks without phones, they probably have a per existing medical condition.
Sharku
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:57:50 PM
Actually, studies have been done. Nomophobia affects more men than women.
https://www.psychologytoday.com...

What you're having is confirmation bias. You try to talk to women, and instead of accepting you're invading their personal space and coming to terms with the fact they don't owe you their time, you blame technology. Perhaps it is you who is lacking social skills. Or perhaps you don't have the self awareness you think. You might be coming off a creepy.

There's a bit of a difference between talking to men and talking to women as well. Women, especially younger ones, are often targets of harassment and catcalls, so humoring your conversation could lead to you following them to the car (in their mind, not saying you would). So there's many reasons a woman wouldn't want to interact with a strange man. You might be a respectable upstanding gentleman, but other men who strike up conversations may not be. She can't tell simply by looking at you. She played it safe, and that's her right. If it were my daughter, I'd support her doing the same thing.

I do find it interesting that you think women are the biggest perpetrators, but I don't see any anecdotes about you talking to men and randomly striking up conversation with them. So I find it hard to believe it there was no mild attraction to the woman and you were simply being friendly for the sake of it. Next time talk to a younger guy and see what happens. I think you'll get the same reaction.

I hate when people try talking to me on public transit or while I'm standing in line. I don't have the mental energy to entertain conversation while I'm trying to get things done. Before smart phones, we had walkmans to tune everyone out, before that everyone was reading newspapers.
http://i.kinja-img.com...

If you had an example from say a bar or a meeting where people are expected to socialize, perhaps you would have a point.

But out and about on a daily basis, I think it's a bit much to expect everyone to be outgoing and humoring you in a conversation.