Jump to topic:

Gay vs liking men

Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 6:18:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The other day I was talking about gay guys with a friend of mine, I myself have nothing against gays but this friend brought up a good point. He said something along the lines of "A gay guy doesn't just like men, they talk, dress, and act oddly and in a lot of cases poorly."

This made me think, and realize that it's mostly true. A majority of Gay guys aren't like straight guys aside from liking men, they are in most cases entirely different mostly in the categories above ie. dress, behavior, etc.

I mean no disrespect, especially to the classy homosexuals, but I want opinions. Why doesn't being gay simply mean liking men anymore?

CJL is a good case of this.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 6:23:02 PM
why are gay men walking stereotypes to you? are all straight men beer guzzling idiots who will f*ck anything warm and moist?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 6:30:01 PM
At 8/10/2010 6:18:43 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
said something along the lines of "A gay guy doesn't just like men, they talk, dress, and act oddly and in a lot of cases poorly."
This made me think, and realize that it's mostly true.

What does talking, dressing and acting "poorly" entail?

Most fairies I know are fairly snappy dressers and have the gift of the gab.

I mean no disrespect

Good luck with that, when your post implies inferiority (don't know what else you could mean by "poor").
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 7:00:51 PM
You're mistaking culture and some hormone differences with everyone acting in cookie-cutter ways. If someone wants to be proud of their sexuality and so embraces the gay community, they will probably take in the culture.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 7:02:47 PM
nah, i think alex meant no disrespect. i think since he's come to this board his views have matured a lot.

but anyway, tell your friend he's wrong. not all gays act like that. they're just the ones you notice. would you have guessed charlie_danger was bisexual? he didn't seem it at all. and like belle said, you could think most straight guys were jerks.

i've met a lot of masculine gay guys and a lot of feminine straight guys. it's really just stereotyping that your friend is talking about.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 7:06:48 PM
I think gay dudes do generally act different... and have a certain manner of acting.

I don't want to offend people, but...

To be honest... I think it's prolly a combination of being biologically different (in general) and prolly more like women...

and I also think lots of'em act out "flamboyantly" or whatnot b/c they were repressed when they were younger... and are more apt to have some social issues/insecurity..

also... I think when they're adults and ESPECIALLY when they move to cities where there's more gay people to hang out with they finally get a CULTURE of gayness to fit into... and many want to Embrace/Embody it and latch onto it. Again I think it's cuz they didn't fit in/were repressed when younger....

then again... I'm sure plenty of people think I'm completely full of crap... but hey!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 10:58:00 PM
Clarification:

I mis-typed what i wrote when i said a majority. When i said a majority i meant that most of them talk and act differently (not that it's a bad thing) but there ARE select ones that act poorly but that's nothing different than how some straight guys are.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 11:52:17 PM
At 8/10/2010 6:23:02 PM, belle wrote:
why are gay men walking stereotypes to you? are all straight men beer guzzling idiots who will f*ck anything warm and moist?

I would have been given the opportunity!
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 1:59:28 AM
i don't think alex meant any disrespect either. this is just a good question. though it's probably unfair to say that the majority of gay men are like this - from what i've heard the common gay man in scotland sounds like he's far more masculine than most of the men on this site (not me). lol

as to why the flamboyant ones act the way they do, i'd probably agree with matt for the most part. people generally become what you make of them i think... but what do i know? maybe there'd be a lot of straight men walking around the place in scarves making those funny noises too if it weren't for the fact that we've to appear strong to pull women. in other words, maybe it's us "masculine" men who are the real pu5sies, shackled into this state of mind by our want for... pu5sies. lol

who's gonna be the first to take me up wrong...
signature
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 3:30:02 AM
The reason gay guys are effeminate is quite simple - they have too much oestrogen in their system - that's what makes them homosexual.

By the way, unless you want to turn queer don't drink London Pride Bitter. That's because it's brewed using water from the Thames and the Thames is full of oestrogen discharged from the sewerage treatment farms upstream.

It's not a health hazard or anything but the oestrogen from the processed feminine hygiene products cannot be filtered out and, if consumed in sufficient quantities, can turn a normal bloke into a pooftah.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 3:31:54 AM
I mean no disrespect, especially to the classy homosexuals, but I want opinions. Why doesn't being gay simply mean liking men anymore?:

There is an entire gay counter-culture. They face the same sociological pressures as anyone else does to behave in a certain manner. For the extremely flamboyant ones, it's all an act. It's a public display driven by social pressures.

You also have to remember that they are gay for a reason. There is no smoking gun on why or how homosexuality occurs, but if you'll note that many are effeminate and gravitate to women for friendship, what does that tell you about them biologically?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 3:55:36 AM
At 8/11/2010 3:30:02 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
The reason gay guys are effeminate is quite simple - they have too much oestrogen in their system - that's what makes them homosexual.

By the way, unless you want to turn queer don't drink London Pride Bitter. That's because it's brewed using water from the Thames and the Thames is full of oestrogen discharged from the sewerage treatment farms upstream.

It's not a health hazard or anything but the oestrogen from the processed feminine hygiene products cannot be filtered out and, if consumed in sufficient quantities, can turn a normal bloke into a pooftah.

and pooftahs aren't normal blokes? nah, i'm joking with you. that's scary sh1t really.
signature
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:44:45 AM
You're only seeing those that stick out like a sore thumb. They tend to cloister themselves among others in a culture that promotes that sort of manner of dress and behavior. I am fairly confident that no one here would know i was gay were you to meet me on the street (most gay guys don't even pick up that i'm gay).

Here's the big thing: Often when a guy comes out of the closet they cling to an identity of being gay. It becomes their principle identity in everything that they do and are. They are reinforced by all friends and social networks that they have, and the culture eats it up. Their entire identity is dependent on that one aspect of their life. A straight guy never really thinks about their identity being wrapped up in their sexual identity it just is who they are and there is no effort in any of it. Lots of gay guys put every ounce of energy into the effort of being a gay man and what they think that means.

To be honest, i really get irritated by the whole thing. Apparently here i am thought of as the gay guy, but elsewhere in my life, its a pretty small footnote. I would prefer to not be identified as the gay guy, but i also know that is what people do.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 9:08:07 AM
At 8/10/2010 10:58:00 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
Clarification:

I mis-typed what i wrote when i said a majority. When i said a majority i meant that most of them talk and act differently (not that it's a bad thing) but there ARE select ones that act poorly but that's nothing different than how some straight guys are.

well that's more evidence that they're otherwise regular people.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 10:56:59 AM
At 8/10/2010 6:18:43 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
The other day I was talking about gay guys with a friend of mine, I myself have nothing against gays but this friend brought up a good point. He said something along the lines of "A gay guy doesn't just like men, they talk, dress, and act oddly and in a lot of cases poorly."

This made me think, and realize that it's mostly true. A majority of Gay guys aren't like straight guys aside from liking men, they are in most cases entirely different mostly in the categories above ie. dress, behavior, etc.

I mean no disrespect, especially to the classy homosexuals, but I want opinions. Why doesn't being gay simply mean liking men anymore?

CJL is a good case of this.

Yea, it's a strange one.

I think part of it is 'advertising'. A certain degree of campness advertises them to other gays.

But there is clearly something deeper to it than that, very confusing.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 11:34:41 AM
At 8/11/2010 7:44:45 AM, innomen wrote:
Here's the big thing: Often when a guy comes out of the closet they cling to an identity of being gay. It becomes their principle identity in everything that they do and are. They are reinforced by all friends and social networks that they have, and the culture eats it up. Their entire identity is dependent on that one aspect of their life.

That's what I figured.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 11:36:02 AM
At 8/11/2010 11:34:41 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Here's the big thing: Often when a guy comes out of the closet they cling to an identity of being gay. It becomes their principle identity in everything that they do and are. They are reinforced by all friends and social networks that they have, and the culture eats it up. Their entire identity is dependent on that one aspect of their life.

That's what I figured.

along with some generally different biological dispositions to act more like women.

Metaphysics:
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 11:38:58 AM
At 8/11/2010 11:36:02 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/11/2010 11:34:41 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

That's what I figured.

along with some generally different biological dispositions to act more like women.

There are those who are a bit 'slight' of build, and have a voice that's a bit higher and seem to have a natural flight to their walk.