tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:36:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
*puts up the last sandbag of his soon to be required wall of defence*
OK!
Clearly no theist is going to agree with me, but I honestly believe that Homo sapian's are just very clever monkeys that like to fvck and that Earth is completely insignificant. This is not a depressing thought to me. The Earth is nothing less than a beautiful miracle. That I am sitting at this laptop, typing this is statistical impossibility at it's finest. Ultimately there is no purpose.

The purpose of this is to see if my fellow atheists agree with me and if not, what their opinions are.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:38:48 PM
At 8/11/2010 7:36:39 PM, tvellalott wrote:
OK!
Clearly no theist is going to agree with me, but I honestly believe that Homo sapian's are just very clever monkeys that like to fvck and that Earth is completely insignificant. This is not a depressing thought to me. The Earth is nothing less than a beautiful miracle. That I am sitting at this laptop, typing this is statistical impossibility at it's finest. Ultimately there is no purpose.

The purpose of this is to see if my fellow atheists agree with me and if not, what their opinions are.

Agree 100%. :jumps behind the wall of sandbags:
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:40:54 PM
OK!

Meaning behind it... no... no reason to think so.

Meaning given it.... yes.. I happen to care a lot about some things... as it seems you do too.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:41:42 PM
Earth is completely insignificant

not to me!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:42:30 PM
At 8/11/2010 7:41:42 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

not to me!

you:
The Earth is nothing less than a beautiful miracle.

and I guess not to you either.

Metaphysics:
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:44:19 PM
At 8/11/2010 7:42:30 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/11/2010 7:41:42 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

not to me!

you:
The Earth is nothing less than a beautiful miracle.

and I guess not to you either.

I believe both those things. A rose is beautiful but insignificant.

Muh threads
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:55:25 PM
semantics then...

I'd say if there's something which I care about it is Thereby Significant to me.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:57:03 PM
also... I think Metaphysical Absolutes are silly in the first place... and I'd say the same with Ultimate meaning...

I talk about Meaning To Me

Metaphysics:
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:57:37 PM
OK!

Nihilistic? Yeah. Existential? NO.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:02:03 PM
At 8/11/2010 7:55:25 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
semantics then...

I'd say if there's something which I care about it is Thereby Significant to me.

It is significant to you. The rose I find beautiful is significant to insects or the person who grew it.
In the scope of space, it means nothing.
If Earth disappeared right now and all life was instantly extinguished, who would care?

Muh threads
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:03:34 PM
At 8/11/2010 7:57:37 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
OK!

Nihilistic? Yeah. Existential? NO.

I am no expert on this, but the whole "the only purpose of life is to live it" part of Existential Nihilism is exactly how I feel.

Muh threads
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:07:20 PM
i'd say there's no purpose to life.

there's purpose given some forms of life... (NAMELY: humans and maybe some other mammals)

Purpose in the actions of that lifeform... Meaning to events FOR that lifeform.

Metaphysics:
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:10:40 PM
At 8/11/2010 8:07:20 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

there's purpose given some forms of life... (NAMELY: humans and maybe some other mammals)

So you agree that life has no intrinsic meaning?

Muh threads
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:11:18 PM
"In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the highest and most mendacious minute of 'world history'—yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die...One might invent such a fable and still not have illustrated sufficiently how wretched, how shadowy and flighty, how aimless and arbitrary, the human intellect appears in nature. There have been eternities when it did not exist; and when it is done for again, nothing will have happened. For this intellect has no further mission that would lead beyond human life...There is nothing in nature so despicable or insignificant that it cannot immediately be blown up like a bag by a slight breath of this power of knowledge; and just as every porter wants an admirer, the proudest human being, the philosopher, thinks that he sees the eyes of the universe telescopically focused from all sides on his actions and thoughts."

-- Nietzsche

Hmm....
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:11:54 PM
At 8/11/2010 8:03:34 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I am no expert on this, but the whole "the only purpose of life is to live it" part of Existential Nihilism is exactly how I feel.

This is a subjective standpoint, correct?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:14:03 PM
At 8/11/2010 8:11:18 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
"In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the highest and most mendacious minute of 'world history'—yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die...One might invent such a fable and still not have illustrated sufficiently how wretched, how shadowy and flighty, how aimless and arbitrary, the human intellect appears in nature. There have been eternities when it did not exist; and when it is done for again, nothing will have happened. For this intellect has no further mission that would lead beyond human life...There is nothing in nature so despicable or insignificant that it cannot immediately be blown up like a bag by a slight breath of this power of knowledge; and just as every porter wants an admirer, the proudest human being, the philosopher, thinks that he sees the eyes of the universe telescopically focused from all sides on his actions and thoughts."

-- Nietzsche

Hmm....

I was scared when I saw you'd replied pooka. A beautiful quote though. Thanks.

Muh threads
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:15:34 PM
At 8/11/2010 8:11:54 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/11/2010 8:03:34 PM, tvellalott wrote:

This is a subjective standpoint, correct?

Clearly.

Muh threads
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:21:17 PM
At 8/11/2010 8:14:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 8/11/2010 8:11:18 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

-- Nietzsche

Hmm....

I was scared when I saw you'd replied pooka. A beautiful quote though. Thanks.

Obviously I don't agree with that viewpoint (for numerous, numerous reasons) but I find Nietzsche to be a great writer. Thought you might like it.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:31:47 PM
At 8/11/2010 8:10:40 PM, tvellalott wrote:

yeah....

I don't even much like lots of lifeforms... I swatt'em regularly.

also... I don't think there's any meaning BEYOND the perspective of those life-forms which care....

I don't believe in a conscious Universe... or a god.. to whom things might be meaningful.

Metaphysics:
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:38:25 PM
At 8/11/2010 8:31:47 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

yeah....

also... I don't think there's any meaning BEYOND the perspective of those life-forms which care....

I don't believe in a conscious Universe... or a god.. to whom things might be meaningful.

Then I'm utterly confused about where you stand.
Everything around me has subjective meaning. I care about stuff. I'm not a psychopath. I don't think subjective meaning is even relative to this discussion.

Muh threads
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 9:29:28 PM
At 8/11/2010 8:38:25 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 8/11/2010 8:31:47 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

yeah....

Then I'm utterly confused about where you stand.
Everything around me has subjective meaning. I care about stuff. I'm not a psychopath. I don't think subjective meaning is even relative to this discussion.

There is meaning... meaning to me.

things are significant... significant to me.

Am I a Nihilist... no.

I think those who affirm "higher meaning" usually discount/Deny ACTUAL meaning and thus THEY deserve to be called nihilists.

Especially people like Augustine the hippopotamus who actually converted to christianity of his own accord.

The only reason to search for "Higher" meaning is b/c you don't have/appreciate that meaning which actually exists.

Metaphysics: