Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Is there racial equality in America?

Jaynorth
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 3:03:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I would like to know what people are thinking about this issue so please leave a yes or no and explain.

Thanks
-jay north
jkerr3
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 4:31:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 3:03:52 PM, Jaynorth wrote:
I would like to know what people are thinking about this issue so please leave a yes or no and explain.

Thanks

For the most part I would say yes, our government and societal leaders are all pretty much non-racist. However are there still racist people out there? Yes. This is one of the few negatives of living in a free society, you can't force a certain ideology on people, if someone is a racist they are free to be a racist. Granted they are generally not allowed to discriminate in the workplace or in the public it is still a henderence on the people they are racist against. Some of these racist people such as Donald Sterling for example, are in positions of power and can have a significant negative influence on the community they discriminate against.

So in short has racism been eradicated, no. Does racism still occur in our society, yes. However this is the least racist timeperiod in human history and minorities "in most cases" have the same opportunities as anyone else.
Caleb.steel
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 12:13:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 4:31:53 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
At 6/17/2015 3:03:52 PM, Jaynorth wrote:
I would like to know what people are thinking about this issue so please leave a yes or no and explain.

Thanks

For the most part I would say yes, our government and societal leaders are all pretty much non-racist. However are there still racist people out there? Yes. This is one of the few negatives of living in a free society, you can't force a certain ideology on people, if someone is a racist they are free to be a racist. Granted they are generally not allowed to discriminate in the workplace or in the public it is still a henderence on the people they are racist against. Some of these racist people such as Donald Sterling for example, are in positions of power and can have a significant negative influence on the community they discriminate against.

So in short has racism been eradicated, no. Does racism still occur in our society, yes. However this is the least racist timeperiod in human history and minorities "in most cases" have the same opportunities as anyone else.

Well Said
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 1:31:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 3:03:52 PM, Jaynorth wrote:
I would like to know what people are thinking about this issue so please leave a yes or no and explain.

Thanks

I like to believe that if a black man and a white man start at the same point in life, they both have an equal chance of success in life, with the relevant factors being drive, focus, work ethic, luck, etc, and not race. In this aspect, there is equality.
However, the starting point is rarely equal, and often disproportionate, so, in that aspect, there is not racial equality.
My work here is, finally, done.
Sooner
Posts: 1,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 12:47:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Absolutely not. Try building a casino outside of Nevada if you're not Native American. Try to get free doctors visits if not Native American. Try to get free medication if not Native American.
The Eastern Band of Cherokees in North Caroilna get two $8,000 checks per year totalling $16,000 simply for being Cherokee. Some tribes give $30,000+ to their tribal members.
If you apply for a job with the Cherokee Nation, the application says, and I quote,"Proof of Indian blood prefered"
Minorities have opportunities with grants that others don't qualify for.
Companies get tax breaks for hiring certain minorities.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
j50wells
Posts: 345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 9:16:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
We would have to define racial equality. In a free society, racial equality in a non-sequitur. The reason being that all people's have the same right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These things are summed up in the idea that we all have the right to work and to hold property, and to do with that property what we want. All races in America have this right.
Is it harder for some races? Yes. This applies to all races, however. A black man might have a hard time getting a job in an all white city. On the other hand, I might have a hard time getting a job in Atlanta as a white male. A China man might have a hard time getting a job in El Paso. So while there are elements of racism in our society, it is not a widespread problem, despite what the media says.

I myself have been in the work world for 23 years. In almost every job that I have worked I have seen a proportion of different races that correlates with the demographics of the area. I currently live in Denver and haul the mail. In our warehouse there are approximately 20 blacks and 40 Hispanics working
right alongside 100 whites. This adds up since the city I live in has 10% blacks and about 20% Hispanics. I have lived all over American and I have consistently seen a proportion of races that equates with the demographics of the area.

Racism is a relative word. We all have natural biological urges to mingle with those who look like us. This is why you will rarely see a long nosed, wart faced, 500 pound guy hanging out with Brad Pitt. They don't mirror each other and so don't feel comfortable with each other. Races are like this too. Also, attraction tends to happen with people who mirror us. A 7 will date a 7. A 10 will date a 10.
These racial urges are normal and natural and should not be called racism. It becomes racism when one group of people tries to oppress another group of people by passing laws that oppress them. Racism can also show up when corporations won't hire certain races.
There is also mild racism. This is the everyday racism in which people exclude other people. All races do this however. Where racism becomes sticky is when certain insults or language is used to dehumanize other races. In a free society we are allowed to say what we want to say. We may not like people that use racial epithets, but nonetheless, it does happen and will continue to happen. The racial slurs and insults are a result of unthinking people, and there are a lot of unthinking individuals in America today. This problem is growing. It's a lack of education.
slo1
Posts: 4,329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 12:41:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Equality: the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities.

We are clearly not racially equal.

1. Racial profiling by police. Intentional and unconscious bias.

2. Already mentioned: Affirmative action is an effort to give positive bias to racial groups who historically have been affected by negative bias in order to attempt to gain a position of equality. If we were equal, we would not need mechanisms such as affirmative action to make races equal.

3. Unconscious and Hidden Bias is still a huge problem in everything from policing, judicial, to hiring people. There are clearly still races impacted by unconscious and hidden bias. http://www.tolerance.org....

This hidden bias gets tied up in a lot. When we talk about white privilege, which is indeed a real thing, it is because of hidden bias.

4. We will be racially equal when color blind or another description that means we simply do not consciously care or unconsciously react about another person's race unconsciously. We however can not become that until we achieve equity. Equity first, color blind last. Color blindness has to be the end goal, but it can't become the standard prior to dealing with the inequity otherwise you just mask inequity pretending it has gone away when it hasn't.

Most people despite scientific evidence don't give any credence to hidden unconscious bias, so we have generations to go through before we can even honestly consider the question of whether we achieved racial equity.
katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 1:08:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 9:16:33 PM, j50wells wrote:
We would have to define racial equality. In a free society, racial equality in a non-sequitur. The reason being that all people's have the same right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These things are summed up in the idea that we all have the right to work and to hold property, and to do with that property what we want. All races in America have this right.
Is it harder for some races? Yes. This applies to all races, however. A black man might have a hard time getting a job in an all white city. On the other hand, I might have a hard time getting a job in Atlanta as a white male. A China man might have a hard time getting a job in El Paso. So while there are elements of racism in our society, it is not a widespread problem, despite what the media says.

I myself have been in the work world for 23 years. In almost every job that I have worked I have seen a proportion of different races that correlates with the demographics of the area. I currently live in Denver and haul the mail. In our warehouse there are approximately 20 blacks and 40 Hispanics working
right alongside 100 whites. This adds up since the city I live in has 10% blacks and about 20% Hispanics. I have lived all over American and I have consistently seen a proportion of races that equates with the demographics of the area.

Racism is a relative word. We all have natural biological urges to mingle with those who look like us. This is why you will rarely see a long nosed, wart faced, 500 pound guy hanging out with Brad Pitt. They don't mirror each other and so don't feel comfortable with each other. Races are like this too. Also, attraction tends to happen with people who mirror us. A 7 will date a 7. A 10 will date a 10.
These racial urges are normal and natural and should not be called racism. It becomes racism when one group of people tries to oppress another group of people by passing laws that oppress them. Racism can also show up when corporations won't hire certain races.
There is also mild racism. This is the everyday racism in which people exclude other people. All races do this however. Where racism becomes sticky is when certain insults or language is used to dehumanize other races. In a free society we are allowed to say what we want to say. We may not like people that use racial epithets, but nonetheless, it does happen and will continue to happen. The racial slurs and insults are a result of unthinking people, and there are a lot of unthinking individuals in America today. This problem is growing. It's a lack of education.

Very well said. This kind of everyday racism is natural because we are all naturally inclined to socialize with people that are similar to us. To ignore this fact would be denying human nature. Like you said, the problem occurs when people decide to further his natural response by saying racist things.