Transgender in sports

PatchPeterson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 6:03:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hi everyone!
First post, so forgive me if I'm flogging a dead topic.

I was recently hearing about a mixed martial artist who was undefeated in the women's league, and then later disclosed that they were actually transgender. I'm of mixed feelings here. On the one hand if we are recognizing gender change on a societal level, then people should be free to enter the sport they identify with. But on the other hand it seems unfair, as it's impossible to ignore that there's obvious physical differences (despite hormone therapy). Maybe we need whole new leagues to accommodate transgender athletes?

Curious to hear others opinions....
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 6:59:21 PM
At 6/19/2015 6:03:37 PM, PatchPeterson wrote:
Hi everyone!
Hello, and welcome to the forums!

I was recently hearing about a mixed martial artist who was undefeated in the women's league, and then later disclosed that they were actually transgender. I'm of mixed feelings here. On the one hand if we are recognizing gender change on a societal level, then people should be free to enter the sport they identify with. But on the other hand it seems unfair, as it's impossible to ignore that there's obvious physical differences (despite hormone therapy). Maybe we need whole new leagues to accommodate transgender athletes?

I am completely useless at the moment in giving you a worthwhile opinion on the issue you brought up, so I am only posting to share with you my own confusion with the matter. I am open to the idea that there exists sincere transgender individuals who truly are, psychologically speaking, the gender they claim to be; however, I really don't see how we can integrate such individuals into our society without causing some issues, such as the one you used as an example in your post.

https://www.youtube.com...
It's one thing to have transgender folk socially integrate by having them undergo hormone therapy, but this idea of transgender folk not even having to transition to be accepted as their claimed gender is a whole other animal. Imagine the almost comically absurd situations that may result from this! Teenage boys, understanding the implications of identifying as a woman, may take advantage of this new social freedom during their high school career to change with the other girls as a "lesbian transgender woman", only to "truly discover" that they were a man all along after graduation. A person could use it to gain access to gendered scholarships or other opportunities, while living as a cisgendered individual amongst close family and friends who are "in on the secret".

That's one of the issues here, it's all taken on the faith that the individual is not lying about their gender identity.

Then there is the bathroom issue (related to the sports issue)-- how are we going to accommodate these individuals in a way that will satisfy all parties. Do we simply create a new bathroom option and require it be included in every public area (to satisfy cisgendered folks that would not be comfortable using the restroom with a person of the opposite sex), in the same way accommodations for disabled people are required? An entire bathroom or two (since there are both men and women amongst transgendered people) to accommodate the .2% of the population that identifies as trans somehow seems a little much.
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 7:23:56 AM
At 6/19/2015 6:03:37 PM, PatchPeterson wrote:
Hi everyone!

feminists claim that women can do any job a man can do, if that was true then they would be fighting for the desegregation of professional sports. however a woman's greatest advantage is her weakness, when women compete head to head physically then that weakness is exposed. while some(less than 10%) of women may be able to out perform some men in sports most(51+%) of women are inferior to most men in professional sports.
PatchPeterson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 8:11:41 AM
At 6/19/2015 6:59:21 PM, Harper wrote:
Then there is the bathroom issue (related to the sports issue)-- how are we going to accommodate these individuals in a way that will satisfy all parties. Do we simply create a new bathroom option and require it be included in every public area (to satisfy cisgendered folks that would not be comfortable using the restroom with a person of the opposite sex), in the same way accommodations for disabled people are required? An entire bathroom or two (since there are both men and women amongst transgendered people) to accommodate the .2% of the population that identifies as trans somehow seems a little much.

Personally, i don't see the "bathroom issue" should really be an issue at all. It's more a reflection of people's squemishness. Bathrooms are already adequately designed for personal privacy. ....change-rooms are another matter...

But back on topic: sports. I think this could really be a controversy as societal acceptance of transgenderism increases.

Does anyone know what the legal status is? For example, as far a government records, how do transgender identify themselves (e.g. Licenses)? If it's the case that your IDs as far as government and law are concerned reflect your identified gender, then can those who transition from male to female be legally banned from participating in female sports leagues? Would such bans raise cries of discrimination?