Ask me anything about PTSD!

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 3:14:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hello fellow mutants.

As some of you know I work for the VA in the MH Dept. and a good deal of our clients are veterans suffering from PTSD.

This psychological malady is more common than many think. Suicides for OEF and OIF vets have been at all time highs for the past few years. And please, remember that PTSD is not a problem that can only be cased by combat.

It is very likely that somebody here on DDO, or somebody you know, or a family member is suffering from it. Or maybe you suspect they are? And want to help?

Well as a part of my Community Service Liaison duties here at the VA I am authorized--even while at work--to engage in online services and forums for PTSD-related questions and issues.

So..if you like, please ask me any questions or comments you might have on this important and rampant mental health problem that effect so many.

Thank you for your thoughtful participation.

Drew.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 12:20:17 AM
How are people diagnosed with PTSD?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 3:46:45 PM
At 6/21/2015 12:20:17 AM, philochristos wrote:

Well, usually by a mental health professional.

Like any psychological disorder, the client has to present with the specific symptoms that meet the criteria for PTSD. Which are outlined --among other sources--in the DSM-V (Diagnostics & Statistics Manual--5th Edition) which is pretty much the bible for Psychitatrists.

Or did you mean to ask what some of the more common symptoms were of PTSD?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 3:50:30 PM
At 6/21/2015 3:46:45 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Like any psychological disorder, the client has to present with the specific symptoms that meet the criteria for PTSD. Which are outlined --among other sources--in the DSM-V (Diagnostics & Statistics Manual--5th Edition) which is pretty much the bible for Psychitatrists.

I was wondering more along the lines of whether there was a test or an interview, or a series of tests or interview, whether the tests were behavior or just amounted to filling out a questionnaire, etc. I imagine the psychiatrist/psychologist would have to know something of the person's history to know if PTSD is what is causing their behavior to be what it is.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 4:00:47 PM
At 6/21/2015 3:50:30 PM, philochristos wrote:

I was wondering more along the lines of whether there was a test or an interview, or a series of tests or interview, whether the tests were behavior or just amounted to filling out a questionnaire, etc. I imagine the psychiatrist/psychologist would have to know something of the person's history to know if PTSD is what is causing their behavior to be what it is.

Well, sure. Here at the VA we almost always check out the vets' military history, beginning with their DD214. And then we go from there.

All those methods you mentioned are usually used in determining whether a Dx of PTSD is warranted.

If you are thinking that a vet--even if he is proven to have been in combat--say OEF or OIF--can just waltz into the VA and see a shrink and say, "Yeah..I'm having nightmares about a mortar attack I was in back in Tikrit. Give me some meds and I want to get a 100% service-connected check every month." Well, that ain't even close to how it works.

Although in all fairness I will confess it is easier to get Dx'd today--and get that money--than it ever has been in the history of the VA.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 1:58:21 AM
At 6/20/2015 3:14:03 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Hello fellow mutants.

As some of you know I work for the VA in the MH Dept. and a good deal of our clients are veterans suffering from PTSD.

This psychological malady is more common than many think. Suicides for OEF and OIF vets have been at all time highs for the past few years. And please, remember that PTSD is not a problem that can only be cased by combat.

It is very likely that somebody here on DDO, or somebody you know, or a family member is suffering from it. Or maybe you suspect they are? And want to help?

Well as a part of my Community Service Liaison duties here at the VA I am authorized--even while at work--to engage in online services and forums for PTSD-related questions and issues.

So..if you like, please ask me any questions or comments you might have on this important and rampant mental health problem that effect so many.

Drew.

Is PTSD actually something that can be fixed?

Why would you want to fix it? I mean can't somebody function reasonably well, even with PTSD? Can't they just naturally learn to cope with it on their own?

I've been abused as a child ( I want to downplay that when bringing it up, but I'll just let this insert take the place of it), I've killed somebody in a car accident. I have massive amounts of social anxiety and am fearful when others are driving, in a lot of public situations and am extremely paranoid on occasion, constantly scanning for threats and gauging them. I probably have PTSD as a result of my various experiences. Why is okay for a psychiatrist to come to me and say hey buddy, there is something wrong with you, take my pills, and accept my therapy.

I don't want pills or therapy, I don't want to lose this part of my personality, and I don't think anything is wrong with me. If you see a soldier that has symptoms of PTSD, do you think it's ignorant to offer them help for a part of their personality that they've grown to accept and can operate just well with it (though different). Do you feel guilty for telling them there is something wrong with them?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 2:00:04 AM

Why the hell would they use DSM criteria, when stupid psychological illnesses are in there, for example the classification of drinking too much coffee as a disease?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 2:02:50 AM
Oh yeah, the DSM also classifies shopping too much and eating heathy as disorders. Not even joking here guys.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 3:52:54 AM
At 6/22/2015 1:58:21 AM, Wylted wrote:

I've been abused as a child ( I want to downplay that when bringing it up, but I'll just let this insert take the place of it), I've killed somebody in a car accident. I have massive amounts of social anxiety and am fearful when others are driving, in a lot of public situations and am extremely paranoid on occasion, constantly scanning for threats and gauging them. I probably have PTSD as a result of my various experiences. Why is okay for a psychiatrist to come to me and say hey buddy, there is something wrong with you, take my pills, and accept my therapy.

I don't want pills or therapy, I don't want to lose this part of my personality, and I don't think anything is wrong with me. If you see a soldier that has symptoms of PTSD, do you think it's ignorant to offer them help for a part of their personality that they've grown to accept and can operate just well with it (though different). Do you feel guilty for telling them there is something wrong with them?

I'm going to guess that when it interferes with being functional in society and the person can't deal with it on his own. Basically his 3 options is to withdraw and wither, quick suicide, or PTSD treatment. I'm guessing PTSD isn't a psychologist intervention as much as voluntary submission. (I could be wrong).
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 8:33:33 AM
Hello fellow mutants.

Drew.

Has the VA incorporated any neurofeedback treatments for PTSD?

Do you have a sense of what the currently most valuable neurofeedback treatments of PTSD are?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 10:49:50 AM
At 6/22/2015 2:02:50 AM, Wylted wrote:
Oh yeah, the DSM also classifies shopping too much and eating heathy as disorders. Not even joking here guys.

I assume it classifies gambling to the point it is disruptive to a person's lives as a disorder. If so, why not compulsive shopping, which also has the ability to greatly disrupt and cause negative outcomes upon a person's life..

I would imagine what you classify as "healthy eating" is more of some type of obsessive compulsive behavior related to a compulsion to eat healthy so that it becomes a greater detriment to the individual. It is not just healthy eating in other words.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 11:00:49 AM
Hello fellow mutants.

Drew.

Does PTSD get counted as a casualty like physical injuries in war or military actions?

I'm curious to know what you think about society's acceptance of PTSD as an actual disorder. Do you see that families are generally supportive of their family members being treated for it?

Are patients somewhat skeptical of the diagnosis when they get it or do they seem relieved that there is something related to the hardships they have been having?

What will it take to get politician's, presidents, and society as a whole to use PTSD as a figure which needs to be accounted for when deciding to send men and women in harms way, especially in long term deployments in locations far away from home.

Does being far from home in weird cultures exasperate PTSD? I wonder if it has a different incident rate if one has a different mind set such as defending the home land from invasions versus occupying Iraq?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 11:55:47 AM
At 6/22/2015 1:58:21 AM, Wylted wrote:
Hello fellow mutants.

Drew.

Is PTSD actually something that can be fixed?

Why would you want to fix it? I mean can't somebody function reasonably well, even with PTSD? Can't they just naturally learn to cope with it on their own?

Addressing you question in order....

Can PTSD "be fixed?" If by "fixed" you mean can we--usually with a combination of therapy, counseling, and appropriate medication, enable the client to return to an desirous level of psychological and emotional well-being where their symptoms are diminished to ac acceptable level--or completely eradicated....well, then, I can give you a definite "Yes, usually PTSD can be "fixed." It's not an overnight process, though.

Why would somebody want to fix it? Really?

Well..if their symptoms are interfering with their enjoyment of life, or even their cognitive abilities, then why wouldn't they want to seek help? Sometimes PTSD can be paralyzing. In an emotional sense. It can lead to life-threatening substance abuse, which is very common. We call that "self medication."

Sure...some people live with it. And for a long time they had to. But today they do not have to if they don't want to. We know a helluva lot more about it now. I would say that of all the vets we see who have legitimate PTSD symptoms, within one year of treatment through the VA, that, oh, 70% would say their lives are significantly improved and their symptoms were significantly diminished.

But, like they say on the drug commericlas...."Results May Very." LOL

OK...on to you.

You sound like you have classic symptoms of PTSD. What you are saying is your social anxiety and your "gauging of threats" and 'scanning people" is what we call "hyper vigilance." We see it usually in combat vets.

It sounds like you are not happy with your quality of life. But it also sounds like you are hesitant to "open up" to a therapist who might be able to help you> OR to take meds.

Well, I can understand all that, but you also should know that you cannot have it both ways. If you desire help through counseling--and there are many methods available--then yes, you are going to have to "open up." The level of your therapists' ability to help you is in direct proportion to how honest you are with her. That is simply how it works.
You will get as much out of your therapy as you put into it. It's sort of a two-way street, amigo.

Why the aversion to meds? Have you had a bad experience with them? We have also improved dramatically over the years with our medications, both in sheer variety and in determining the best on for your specific symptoms. The old days of "those meds turn you into a zombie" are long gone. Especially for PTSD sufferers, as they are almost never put on severe anti-psychotic meds.

Hope this helps, buddy. Let me know if you have any more Q's.

Drew.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 11:57:20 AM

So what is your point?

That PTSD does not deserve to be classified as a psychological disorder? Or included in the DSM?

And your education in the mental health field would be...............

What exactly?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:04:08 PM
At 6/22/2015 2:00:04 AM, Wylted wrote:

Why the hell would they use DSM criteria, when stupid psychological illnesses are in there, for example the classification of drinking too much coffee as a disease?

Your knowledge of psychology and mental health sounds like it is miniscule, my freind.

Caffeine can be an addiction just like anything else.

We do not say "Hey, all you guys who drink too much coffee: you're sick! Come see us and get help!"

LOL.

We only treat people who want help. They come to us, bro--not the other way around. If their addiction--to whatever drug--is impairing their lives then they might want help. Then..fine...we can. Otherwise, hey, drink all the coffee you want. (I myself am a huge caffeine junkie, usually with RockStar drinks. LOL. But no way am I going to seek treatment for that.

BTW: this thread is for people who have legitimate questions about PTSD. Or related conditions. Not for juvenile taunts and critiques of the mental health industry.

I explained to you in another post about your conditions you offered, and what is involved in seeking help. That is fine. But I would suggest you take your off-topic criticizing somewhere else. Go start your own thread on the "dangers of psychiatry" or whatever.

But..other than questions pertaining to the OP....you might be wise to bugger off, mate.

Drew.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:15:37 PM
At 6/22/2015 12:04:08 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

But..other than questions pertaining to the OP....you might be wise to bugger off, mate.

Drew.

Man Overboard!
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:21:43 PM
At 6/22/2015 12:15:37 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Drew.

Man Overboard!

Not really.

If a guy walks into my boss's office (An MD Psychiatrist) and instead of seeking help proceeds to insult and criticize he will in a very short time be shown the door.

So I was simply engaging in the cyber equivalent.

My thread. My rules.

The Mods will back me up on this, as well.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:23:14 PM
At 6/22/2015 12:21:43 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/22/2015 12:15:37 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Drew.

Man Overboard!

Not really.

If a guy walks into my boss's office (An MD Psychiatrist) and instead of seeking help proceeds to insult and criticize he will in a very short time be shown the door.

So I was simply engaging in the cyber equivalent.

My thread. My rules.

The Mods will back me up on this, as well.

So, false alarm, no need to rescue him, carry on smartly sailor!
belladb8s
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:27:29 PM
This is cool. I know I suffer from one form or another of PTSD, but I kind of embrace it. I'm crazy and I am good with that. It works.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:35:05 PM
Hello fellow mutants.

Drew.

Do you have PTSD.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:38:41 PM
@Saint,

Aversions to medicine

1. I saw my sister have some mental health issues, and the pills seemed less than helpful. If the pills didn't make her hallucinate, they made her suicidal.

2. I guess, I just generally try not to take medicine at all. It seems to me that if I take too much pain medicine for example, than I'll build up a tolerance and it won't be useful to me when I get older and really needed. I've probably voluntarily dealt with more pain than I have had to for long periods of time. Hopefully that helps me when I'm older. I guess the aversion to medicine is built upon that mostly, but I also think my body will be stronger if it heals naturally than with aid. For example, I'd rather catch the flu and build up a stronger immunity than take a vaccine and have a weaker immunity.

Why I don't seek help.

1. First off, I think hyper vigilance is the right word. I'm basically hyper vigilant 24/7. I feel as if the hyper vigilance reduces my chances of dying, even if it does reduce the quality of my life. I would prefer to be hyper vigilant and survive the next 50 years than happy and only survive the next 5. With the emergence of ever more useful forms of technology, I place a higher value on survival than quality, because I think that if I survive long enough, I stand a better chance of being able to use the technology that will grant me an indefinite lifespan. Hyper vigilance helps me, survive. Most people probably think that the stakes are lower and immortality is unachiavable, but for somebody who thinks immortality is achievable, than I stand a lot more to lose from dying than they do. They miss out on a few years, I miss out on eternal life.

2. I'm attending college and it will be hard for me to work and go to school full time. I've noticed that if I use Adderal that I can get by on extremely little sleep. Not only get by on very little sleep, but get by on it, while not losing much, if any of my cognitive ability. I think most people who would be willing to prescribe me the very drug I need to make it through college, would not be willing to do so, if they know I have any anxiety at all. I plan on faking ADHD to get Adderal, and having any sort of anxiety issue will hurt my chances of achieving that goal. I happen to know, as probably most mental health professionals, that Adderal will make my condition worse. Hell, most of the time I can handle it, but occasionally when I take Adderal, if people get within 100 ft of me, I'll instantly be ready for a fight to defend myself and am tempted to jump on them, before they jump on me. In those circumstances, I try to stay the hell away from people, but when I can't stay away from people, I hide my extreme desires. I think I hide my desires quite well, but honestly, I'm probably more likely to physically attack somebody, if they cross me in those situations.

I'm sure you were already aware that Adderal and anxiety don't mix, so the story was probably overkill, but there it is.

Conclusion- So in short. I would love to get help with my symptoms, it does reduce the quality of my life, but I also don't want to die, before seeing those advances in technology, and I don't want to not be able to get through college.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:39:04 PM
At 6/22/2015 11:00:49 AM, slo1 wrote:
Hello fellow mutants.

Drew.

Does PTSD get counted as a casualty like physical injuries in war or military actions?

I'm curious to know what you think about society's acceptance of PTSD as an actual disorder. Do you see that families are generally supportive of their family members being treated for it?

Are patients somewhat skeptical of the diagnosis when they get it or do they seem relieved that there is something related to the hardships they have been having?

What will it take to get politician's, presidents, and society as a whole to use PTSD as a figure which needs to be accounted for when deciding to send men and women in harms way, especially in long term deployments in locations far away from home.

Does being far from home in weird cultures exasperate PTSD? I wonder if it has a different incident rate if one has a different mind set such as defending the home land from invasions versus occupying Iraq?

Hi! Thanks for your questions. I'll try to tick them off here, one-by-one.......

Yeah, a vet CAN get what we call a "service-connected disability" rating if his PTSD symptoms are sever enough. The way the VA does service-connected ratings is in sort of a "percentage" basis. They try to equate what percentage of your usual daily abilities are diminished by your injury, or disability. This can be mental as well as physical.

A usual scenario, as an example, might be a guy who suffers from lower back pain due to all the parachuting he did when he was Airborne. So,,,maybe if he takes meds for his pain and it slows him down once in awhile and he has had a surgery that helped a little, he might get a 50% rating.

PTSD is the same deal. This can be a dicey area. As are many things in mental health. But no, it is not uncommon nowadays for young OEF or OIF vets to get 100% PTSD ratings. Thus, a check for around $2800 every month from Uncle Sam. As I mentioned in a previous post---there has never been an easier time to get those checks that today, as we have greatly weakened our criteria that stipulates them.

Society AND the Mental Health field have made huge strides in accepting PTSD as a legitimate disorder. No credible MH professional today doubts it is the real deal. (Oh..but we may--and DO--doubt the severity of some of the claimants for PTSD. Like anything else, there are those who try to scam the system.

And the overwhelming majority of family members are very supportive of their loved ones who seek help for PTSD. This makes total sense of course, since often times the symptoms of PTSD, like substance abuse and poor impulse control (read: "rage and a bad temper") are popular symptoms.

Most politicians--like most even semi-educated folks--know about PTSD and how harmful it can be. Just like the politicians know the #1 basic rule of warfare: "Young men get killed."

But some just don't care. Only paying the PTSD card as lip service when trying to garner votes. They are politicians, it's what they do.

Being in a strange environment CAN exacerbate PTSD and its onset. But when you think about it, combat itself is enough of a strange environment. We did not evolve by having others shoot at us and try to blow us up with bombs. Now is the average human mind conditioned to kill others en masse, as in a war zone or a firefight. All of this makes the brain sort of go "WTF?" and so it seeks means to deal with it, and then escape from its memories. This is what spurs the PTSD symptoms when the sufferer returns to a "normal" life.

Thanks!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:41:58 PM
At 6/22/2015 11:57:20 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

So what is your point?

That PTSD does not deserve to be classified as a psychological disorder? Or included in the DSM?

What exactly?

My opinions on the DSM are from listening to various speeches by British psychologists. They claim the DSM classifications are silly and they prefer other classification systems. They continually make fun of the American's reliance on the DSM. Just because I'm not a professional in the field, doesn't mean my opinion isn't shaped by experts or by relevant facts.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:44:39 PM
At 6/22/2015 12:38:41 PM, Wylted wrote:
@Saint,

Aversions to medicine

1. I saw my sister have some mental health issues, and the pills seemed less than helpful. If the pills didn't make her hallucinate, they made her suicidal.

2. I guess, I just generally try not to take medicine at all. It seems to me that if I take too much pain medicine for example, than I'll build up a tolerance and it won't be useful to me when I get older and really needed. I've probably voluntarily dealt with more pain than I have had to for long periods of time. Hopefully that helps me when I'm older. I guess the aversion to medicine is built upon that mostly, but I also think my body will be stronger if it heals naturally than with aid. For example, I'd rather catch the flu and build up a stronger immunity than take a vaccine and have a weaker immunity.

Why I don't seek help.

1. First off, I think hyper vigilance is the right word. I'm basically hyper vigilant 24/7. I feel as if the hyper vigilance reduces my chances of dying, even if it does reduce the quality of my life. I would prefer to be hyper vigilant and survive the next 50 years than happy and only survive the next 5. With the emergence of ever more useful forms of technology, I place a higher value on survival than quality, because I think that if I survive long enough, I stand a better chance of being able to use the technology that will grant me an indefinite lifespan. Hyper vigilance helps me, survive. Most people probably think that the stakes are lower and immortality is unachiavable, but for somebody who thinks immortality is achievable, than I stand a lot more to lose from dying than they do. They miss out on a few years, I miss out on eternal life.

2. I'm attending college and it will be hard for me to work and go to school full time. I've noticed that if I use Adderal that I can get by on extremely little sleep. Not only get by on very little sleep, but get by on it, while not losing much, if any of my cognitive ability. I think most people who would be willing to prescribe me the very drug I need to make it through college, would not be willing to do so, if they know I have any anxiety at all. I plan on faking ADHD to get Adderal, and having any sort of anxiety issue will hurt my chances of achieving that goal. I happen to know, as probably most mental health professionals, that Adderal will make my condition worse. Hell, most of the time I can handle it, but occasionally when I take Adderal, if people get within 100 ft of me, I'll instantly be ready for a fight to defend myself and am tempted to jump on them, before they jump on me. In those circumstances, I try to stay the hell away from people, but when I can't stay away from people, I hide my extreme desires. I think I hide my desires quite well, but honestly, I'm probably more likely to physically attack somebody, if they cross me in those situations.

I'm sure you were already aware that Adderal and anxiety don't mix, so the story was probably overkill, but there it is.

Conclusion- So in short. I would love to get help with my symptoms, it does reduce the quality of my life, but I also don't want to die, before seeing those advances in technology, and I don't want to not be able to get through college.

I am not sure I understand all of what you say.

Like this.......

"Conclusion- So in short. I would love to get help with my symptoms, it does reduce the quality of my life, but I also don't want to die, before seeing those advances in technology, and I don't want to not be able to get through college."

So...this sounds like you are thinking that you will die if you seek treatment for PTSD? Or am I mis-interpreting it? Let me know.

Also...yeah, man..you are playing Russian Roulette by taking Adderal (basically, speed) when you already have Anxiety and HV. I am not gonna counsel you on this any more, since you will not listen to an internet stranger, but allow me to just say that if you continue the chances are excellent you will one day suffer from a form of amphetamine psychosis, or at least a form of it. And that ain't pretty.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:46:53 PM
At 6/22/2015 12:35:05 PM, inferno wrote:
Hello fellow mutants.

Drew.

Do you have PTSD.

NO--I do not have PTSD, no. I am a veteran, but I served on nuclear submarines and was never in a combat situation, except for accompanying SEAL Teams a couple times on their Ops. But I suffer no psych repercussions from that. (I actually enjoyed it!).

Thanks.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:50:48 PM
At 6/22/2015 12:41:58 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/22/2015 11:57:20 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

So what is your point?

What exactly?

My opinions on the DSM are from listening to various speeches by British psychologists. They claim the DSM classifications are silly and they prefer other classification systems. They continually make fun of the American's reliance on the DSM. Just because I'm not a professional in the field, doesn't mean my opinion isn't shaped by experts or by relevant facts.

I too believe there are "frivolous" DX's in the DSM. But that does not mean we should throw the baby out with the bathwater. The DSM is also a very valuable tool, and is the most comprehensive manual of information on the varieties of mental illnesses that we have available.

And just because some DX's that may on the surface seem frivolous does NOT mean the docs have to use them. Or even believe them. Like anything, the DSM can be used efficiently or misused. Psychiatry is a "soft science" and there are fewer absolutes than in other "hard" science fields. So one can only hope that their MD is an efficient and responsible one. (Again...like in other areas.)
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:52:50 PM
At 6/22/2015 2:00:04 AM, Wylted wrote:

Your knowledge of psychology and mental health sounds like it is miniscule, my freind.

Caffeine can be an addiction just like anything else.

We do not say "Hey, all you guys who drink too much coffee: you're sick! Come see us and get help!"

LOL.

We only treat people who want help. They come to us, bro--not the other way around. If their addiction--to whatever drug--is impairing their lives then they might want help. Then..fine...we can. Otherwise, hey, drink all the coffee you want. (I myself am a huge caffeine junkie, usually with RockStar drinks. LOL. But no way am I going to seek treatment for that.

BTW: this thread is for people who have legitimate questions about PTSD. Or related conditions. Not for juvenile taunts and critiques of the mental health industry.

I explained to you in another post about your conditions you offered, and what is involved in seeking help. That is fine. But I would suggest you take your off-topic criticizing somewhere else. Go start your own thread on the "dangers of psychiatry" or whatever.

Drew.

I clearly responded to something you said and not just randomly offered up my opinion. I guess the question is why would coffee addiction need to be a specific disorder? Why not just prescribe medicine if you see an addiction it can help, without naming the specific addiction?

It's almost as if doctors will refuse to help people with their symptoms, unless you can name a specific disorder associated with those symptoms. In my opinion it is the system that is acting juvenile, not myself.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:59:11 PM
At 6/22/2015 12:44:39 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
@Saint,

Aversions to medicine

Why I don't seek help.

Like this.......

"Conclusion- So in short. I would love to get help with my symptoms, it does reduce the quality of my life, but I also don't want to die, before seeing those advances in technology, and I don't want to not be able to get through college."

So...this sounds like you are thinking that you will die if you seek treatment for PTSD? Or am I mis-interpreting it? Let me know.

Also...yeah, man..you are playing Russian Roulette by taking Adderal (basically, speed) when you already have Anxiety and HV. I am not gonna counsel you on this any more, since you will not listen to an internet stranger, but allow me to just say that if you continue the chances are excellent you will one day suffer from a form of amphetamine psychosis, or at least a form of it. And that ain't pretty.

I'm not sure what amphetamine psychosis is.

I'm saying that it would give me statistically a lower chance of survival. Let's say a situation came up that gave me a 99.99999 chance of survival with the hyper vigilance (it helps me notice threats sooner). Without the HV it might give me a 99.9999 chance of survival.

All I'm saying is that as bad as I am at math, I do a statistical analysis on every possible scenarios and act in accord with what gives me the greatest chance of survival or success.

Also, I may listen to an Internet stranger, though I Would obviously go out of my way to verify what they're saying. There have been tons of times I came across new information this way. I always investigate. Sometimes what they say checks out, sometimes what they say doesn't, but even when it doesn't check out, I always learn something new.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 1:01:25 PM
At 6/22/2015 12:59:11 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/22/2015 12:44:39 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
@Saint,

Aversions to medicine

Why I don't seek help.

Like this.......

I'm not sure what amphetamine psychosis is.

I'm saying that it would give me statistically a lower chance of survival. Let's say a situation came up that gave me a 99.99999 chance of survival with the hyper vigilance (it helps me notice threats sooner). Without the HV it might give me a 99.9999 chance of survival.

All I'm saying is that as bad as I am at math, I do a statistical analysis on every possible scenarios and act in accord with what gives me the greatest chance of survival or success.

Also, I may listen to an Internet stranger, though I Would obviously go out of my way to verify what they're saying. There have been tons of times I came across new information this way. I always investigate. Sometimes what they say checks out, sometimes what they say doesn't, but even when it doesn't check out, I always learn something new.

Wow--dude. I am STILL NOT getting your reasoning here.

What do you mean by this....

I'm saying that it would give me statistically a lower chance of survival.

You mean that seeking Trx for PTSD would give you a lower chance? Why?