Why they don't do something about ?

Lupo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 6:55:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I was watching a program about poverty.
Some people living in cities with open sewers, no food, sitting looking the skies.
Why they do nothing about it?
The Romans built sewers to 2,000 years ago, tribes in Africa survive without technology, and without contact with civilization.
I'm not saying they don"t need help, but why they can"t do the minimum to improve ?
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 12:00:37 AM
At 6/22/2015 6:55:46 PM, Lupo wrote:
Some people living in cities with open sewers, no food, sitting looking the skies.
The Romans built sewers to 2,000 years ago, tribes in Africa survive without technology, and without contact with civilization.
I'm not saying they don"t need help, but why they can"t do the minimum to improve ?

Who exactly is 'they', and why should 'they' intervene, and moreover, how would 'they' employ methods to productively resolve poverty, or in the least fashion, initiate a solution for remedial purposes?
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 12:08:48 AM

I also don't know why poor people don't just press the "stop being poor" button on their iPads. It's a mystery.
Lupo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 6:22:33 AM
At 6/23/2015 12:08:48 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

I also don't know why poor people don't just press the "stop being poor" button on their iPads. It's a mystery.

Instead of putting my argument in "Reductio ad absurdum", try to understand what I wrote.
They can take action to improve their situation.
You doesn't need government help, money or technology to dig a gully, to plant something, to build a shelter and etc.
Lupo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 6:30:32 AM
At 6/23/2015 12:00:37 AM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

Who exactly is 'they', and why should 'they' intervene
The documentary was about poor people in south america.
, and moreover, how would 'they' employ methods to productively resolve poverty, or in the least fashion, initiate a solution for remedial purposes?
Building streets, basic sewage systems, shelters, small plantations and etc.
These are things that do not need government or assistance, anyone can do.
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 9:04:22 AM
At 6/23/2015 6:30:32 AM, Lupo wrote:
At 6/23/2015 12:00:37 AM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

Who exactly is 'they', and why should 'they' intervene
The documentary was about poor people in south america.
, and moreover, how would 'they' employ methods to productively resolve poverty, or in the least fashion, initiate a solution for remedial purposes?
Building streets, basic sewage systems, shelters, small plantations and etc.
These are things that do not need government or assistance, anyone can do.

You say that these are things that anyone can do. But its not so simple. I'll explain step by step.

These things take tools and materials. At the very least you need shovels, picks, rakes, carts, chisels, hammers, etc. These things cost money and that is money that people in poverty rarely have. And materials can be very very expensive, along with the fact that moving large amounts of material is incredibly difficult and time consuming even with the proper equipment and planning. There are companies in North America that specialize solely in the transportation of raw materials. Its not a simple task.

These things take time. Even with proper tools, and materials. building roads, aquaducts, sewage systems etc, takes weeks, months or years depending on the scale of construction and the available tools and skilled laborers. People in poverty aren't thinking weeks, months and years down the road because they need food, water and shelter today. And if they don't spend their time wisely they will come up short. If John doesn't work the fields for a penny today, he doesn't eat tonight. If Lucy doesn't get water from a nearby well this morning, her family will go thirsty. These people live on the edge, and they don't have the spare time to waste on a project that will maybe help them in a years time.

These things take skill and knowledge. Building a road or sewage drain, or aquaduct may seem a simple task on the face of it. But when you actually start to build any of it you realize very quickly that there is more to it than it seems. These are not simple tasks. A lot goes into making a proper road, and even more into making a working sewage system. There is a reason that these jobs are planned and executed under the instruction of engineers in North America, and its because they are very hard to do right when you don't know what you are doing. People in poverty are generally the least educated. The majority are likely illiterate with no applicable skills. They likely have only a weak understanding of basic math and anything beyond simple arithmetic will likely be too much for them. How would you expect such a group of people to do the necessary planning, surveying, excavation, and construction of even a simple engineering project.

These things take a great deal of effort. Think of all the calories burned in the simple task of digging a ditch with a pick and shovel. This is hard hard work, and it doesn't immediately translate into food or water for the person doing it. So unless that person has a stockpile of resources (which means that they aren't really living in extreme poverty) or they are being paid for their work, they will starve because they spent all their calories digging a ditch which provided them with no food.

Time, effort, tools, materials, skills and knowledge are all absolutely necessary for any engineering project of significant scope. And these are all things that people in poverty just don't have access to. That is why you need government or some other sort of investor to get things started.

People will always work to improve their lives, but when you're living on the razors edge of poverty, you either need some help or some good luck to give you the boost you need to get ahead.

Perhaps you are confused by the difference between primitive living and poverty. One can live primitively and thrive. A primitive lifestyle is not necessarily indicative of poverty. A primitive hunter gatherer may not have a permanent home or many belongings, but they can thrive nonetheless.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 9:07:41 AM
At 6/23/2015 6:22:33 AM, Lupo wrote:
At 6/23/2015 12:08:48 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Instead of putting my argument in "Reductio ad absurdum", try to understand what I wrote.
They can take action to improve their situation.
You doesn't need government help, money or technology to dig a gully, to plant something, to build a shelter and etc.

Where should they get the tools, materials, seeds, licenses, land, etc?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 9:11:43 AM

The construction of things like sewers is a labor-intensive task, even by today's standards. The Romans had slaves, and thus, manpower.
Poor people today live in an urban environment, where farming and hunter-gatherer behavior is simply not possible (or at best can be done at a minimal level). African tribes of times past were able to exploit nature, and thus, make a living.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 9:23:01 AM
This is perplexing-- the OP understands obscurities such as "reductio ad absurdum" but clearly does not understand poverty or scarcity of resources.

OP, after you are done reading post #6, reread post #6-- just to get started on the subject you bring up here.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 8:18:15 PM

Yeah Do you ever find it ironic that the documentary crew shows up in a brand new SUV or that somewhere in the crowd there's a kid wearing a $40 Tommy Hilfiger Shirt. And despite the squalor the children big smiles (at least the ones that are conscious).
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers