Jump to topic:

Another thought of mine...

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:02:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
...that most prolly wont agree with just throwing it out there.

I think there should be a 2 year period (most likely from 16-18) where they get to live in their own community and have the same real world freedoms in that area. Each getting an appartment building and they get "paid" for school with their own currency which "pays" for the bills. Extra jobs they can get in that area will give them more money to spend in that area. They can socialize with the outside world and visit people but no one else should go into that area.

I think something like that exists, but I'm talking about for every teen to get to choose to participate or not. I think it would better prepare for the real world.

Thoughts?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:16:14 PM
At 8/16/2010 8:02:58 PM, lovelife wrote:

I think there should be a 2 year period (most likely from 16-18) where they get to live in their own community and have the same real world freedoms in that area. Each getting an appartment building and they get "paid" for school with their own currency which "pays" for the bills. Extra jobs they can get in that area will give them more money to spend in that area. They can socialize with the outside world and visit people but no one else should go into that area.

I think something like that exists, but I'm talking about for every teen to get to choose to participate or not. I think it would better prepare for the real world.

Thoughts?

Prepare them for the real world by putting them in to a false enviroment?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:21:30 PM
At 8/16/2010 8:16:14 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 8/16/2010 8:02:58 PM, lovelife wrote:

Thoughts?

Prepare them for the real world by putting them in to a false enviroment?

That has many of the same social and living conditions as the real world and prepare them for if they don't do what they are supposed to they starve and die, have no home etc, while still in a place and time when it doesn't matter if they screw up so they are better prepared, yeah.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:27:38 PM
I think they'd just use it as a chance to party and wouldn't really give a sh!t about the "real world attributes" that you're trying to instill. Basically a paid two year vacation away from parents to fvck around...
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:33:48 PM
fake currency to pay fake bills for real commodities? Doesn't make sense. Who would actually pay for the services rendered in this community? I'm pretty sure real doctors and real teachers would tell them to take their fake money and shove it up their collective asses.

Most people have enough exposure to the 'real world' by the time that they need to start thinking about providing for themselves. And if they don't, they'll pick it up pretty quickly.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:34:15 PM
At 8/16/2010 8:27:38 PM, annhasle wrote:
I think they'd just use it as a chance to party and wouldn't really give a sh!t about the "real world attributes" that you're trying to instill. Basically a paid two year vacation away from parents to fvck around...

Sure and if they don't get the money to pay, they would be unable to pay rent and have to spend the timebeing homelss and prolly do a sh*t load of work to make up for it. They can party all they want to, but if it affects their grades (get paid more for better grades and for harder work.) or their other jobs in the society. Sure they can pay each other like in the real world. Get people to clean your house and pay them, get people to do work for you and you pay them. It would be like the real deal only it wont affect the rest of their lives if they do something stupid. No more then it would if they were like 15 and did the same thing. (like getting pregnant)
Real risks of the real world being made more real to teens before having to face it.

Maybe after that they wont be so eager to leave home, or at least be more prepared then pre paid rent, groceries, cable, cell phones, internet, cars, etc.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:34:22 PM

This.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:35:50 PM
At 8/16/2010 8:33:48 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
fake currency to pay fake bills for real commodities? Doesn't make sense. Who would actually pay for the services rendered in this community? I'm pretty sure real doctors and real teachers would tell them to take their fake money and shove it up their collective asses.

Most people have enough exposure to the 'real world' by the time that they need to start thinking about providing for themselves. And if they don't, they'll pick it up pretty quickly.

If they don't pay they leave. Teachers and doctors would be volunteers. And most likely the doctors would only work there for a few hours a day (take shifts in real world and teen world)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:37:42 PM
At 8/16/2010 8:34:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

This.

I see what you are all getting at I just really think it would be a great way to help teach how things really work in the world. Especailly people that have never had to worry or work for what they want (not like a billionaires daughter but an upper middle class daughter maybe. Not enough money to support them forever but enough to make the teen years pretty fun and unproductive.)
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:40:06 PM
two questions: who would pay for it and how would you prevent it from becoming some kind of indoctrination camp for whoever was running it?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:48:38 PM
At 8/16/2010 8:40:06 PM, belle wrote:
two questions: who would pay for it and how would you prevent it from becoming some kind of indoctrination camp for whoever was running it?

Hmmm. I think it would be run by at least 5 different people who hopefully have different religious veiws, and that they should not interfere with the way things are unless seeked by a member of the soceity to report a greivence. If a law was broken (that is in the real world, same laws apply for obvious reasons) then they will take the proper measures.

I would hope the dfferent veiws (of the world and religion) would help with the indoctrination problem, but you never fully know.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 2:58:49 AM
All that would do is either alienate those groups not represented, or simply provide teaching from those whose religion is represented ... not sure what any of that deals feasibly with perceived indoctrination, especially if that is the goal. "Hey you religious people there ... help us remove religious indoctrination kthx."
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 4:14:05 AM
You'd honestly use taxes to pay for something as stupid as this? You think their grades will prevent them form partying? They don't have parental supervision, they won't give a sh!t about their grades. And volunteer teachers? Good luck finding people to volunteer their lives to teaching teenagers who won't care about school.

Overall, this is a terrible idea and just an idea you want implemented to deal with your own situation, since you feel oppressed by your parents. It would be like a college campus, but worse.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 4:27:39 AM
This seems like an expensive waste of time, surely this is why people leave home for university?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 11:57:18 AM
At 8/17/2010 4:14:05 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
You'd honestly use taxes to pay for something as stupid as this? You think their grades will prevent them form partying? They don't have parental supervision, they won't give a sh!t about their grades. And volunteer teachers? Good luck finding people to volunteer their lives to teaching teenagers who won't care about school.

If their grades are the only reason they get to eat, or have a place to sleep.

Overall, this is a terrible idea and just an idea you want implemented to deal with your own situation, since you feel oppressed by your parents. It would be like a college campus, but worse.

No not my own situation actually. I was thinking of all the spoiled kids that party all the time and couldn't survive 5 mins in the real world.
I'm fairly positive I could because I have to deal with a bunch of real world bs now too.

Just wanted to keep ppl from falling on their face when it matters most. Trying to keep people from making dumb mistakes. (like my stepdad got a student loan and now its screwing everyone over by taking the money ou tof the bank account garnishing his paycheck and even if on top of that we paid it will get us more in debt with them alone. Not to mention we barely had enough to pay rent or anything else really.)
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 12:02:24 PM
We ought to form our own alternative institutions.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 12:13:22 PM
At 8/17/2010 12:02:24 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Meaning?
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 12:15:26 PM
At 8/17/2010 12:13:22 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/17/2010 12:02:24 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Meaning?

We should build our own communities without reliance on the rapacious state.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 1:39:39 PM
At 8/17/2010 11:57:18 AM, lovelife wrote:

Then they'll leave once they party too hard.

No not my own situation actually. I was thinking of all the spoiled kids that party all the time and couldn't survive 5 mins in the real world.

Sure. Anyway, they don't need to survive in the "real" world, they're the next congressmen, CEO's, etc.

I'm fairly positive I could because I have to deal with a bunch of real world bs now too.

If you had to move into an apartment now, you' d be a prostitute within 30 days. I give you my word.

Just wanted to keep ppl from falling on their face when it matters most. Trying to keep people from making dumb mistakes. (like my stepdad got a student loan and now its screwing everyone over by taking the money ou tof the bank account garnishing his paycheck and even if on top of that we paid it will get us more in debt with them alone. Not to mention we barely had enough to pay rent or anything else really.)

How the hell does a commune with teenagers, where the kids which are already popular will essentially "rule", going to help anyone? All it is is a waste of money try and prepare rich kids for the real world. Rich kids. You want to spend tax dollars on summer camps for rich kids?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 1:54:46 PM
At 8/17/2010 1:39:39 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/17/2010 11:57:18 AM, lovelife wrote:

Then they'll leave once they party too hard.

Not exactly an option. They must spend a certain amount of time in the area to go to the school. Once you enter the school you cannot leave until your time is up. Basically if you make the choice you gotta stick with it. You can go and visit places but not over night, except on holidays that you ask the people for in advance and tell them how long you will be gone. They also have tracking things on so if they try to stay gone for long they can get the police to catch them.

Sure. Anyway, they don't need to survive in the "real" world, they're the next congressmen, CEO's, etc.

Not if they don't survive. Not if daddy doesn't keep shelling out money to bust them out of jail or pay for their bad habbits.

If you had to move into an apartment now, you' d be a prostitute within 30 days. I give you my word.

Not me. I'm pretty strait edge. Never been to a party in my life. In fact I don't even want a party for my bday but mom is all "you have to your turning 16 it has to be big. When I turned 16 I was in a mental hospital so now you must have the party I wanted." whatever I don't want a party.

How the hell does a commune with teenagers, where the kids which are already popular will essentially "rule", going to help anyone? All it is is a waste of money try and prepare rich kids for the real world. Rich kids. You want to spend tax dollars on summer camps for rich kids?

They wont be any more wealthy in that area. They get fake money, real money means nothing there and would be taken away as soon as they enter and given back when they leave. They will be allowed to take one bag with them for the clothes or anything else they want to bring.

There will be stores in the area but to get anything more they will have to succeed.
Anacharsis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 2:13:46 PM

The most important factor that makes the "real world" so very real and teaches kids to finally become adults in our modern society is the reality of having to earn a living.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2010 8:58:50 PM
At 8/17/2010 2:13:46 PM, Anacharsis wrote:

The most important factor that makes the "real world" so very real and teaches kids to finally become adults in our modern society is the reality of having to earn a living.

Which is basically the purpose of the whole thing. Can no one see that? Pretty sure I posted about it a few times.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 9:12:07 AM
At 8/17/2010 4:27:39 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
This seems like an expensive waste of time, surely this is why people leave home for university?

It sounds a lot like university, but dumb kids can go too.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 9:25:10 AM

Thoughts?:

Failed premise - You want to give people a real world experience by living in a false, manufactured world. I could almost guaranteed a skyrocket in crime and unwanted pregnancies. And the level of "drama" would be higher than it is on Jersey Shore.

The real world is nothing like "playing house." This sounds more like an MTV show than it does an accurate depiction of the actual real world.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 9:25:42 AM
I think they'd just use it as a chance to party and wouldn't really give a sh!t about the "real world attributes" that you're trying to instill. Basically a paid two year vacation away from parents to fvck around.:

Bingo....
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 9:51:07 AM
At 8/20/2010 9:25:42 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I think they'd just use it as a chance to party and wouldn't really give a sh!t about the "real world attributes" that you're trying to instill. Basically a paid two year vacation away from parents to fvck around.:

Bingo....

Again, college.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2010 9:38:34 AM
At 8/20/2010 9:12:07 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/17/2010 4:27:39 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

It sounds a lot like university, but dumb kids can go too.

Dumb kids get to go to university, most entry requirements are low, most degrees hollow.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 9:00:34 AM
I'm sure they have camps like this, but it really isn't the point, anyway.

I think this girl is referring to a collective effort to instill more productive mentalities in young minds. Fundamentally, it isn't a bad idea. She's right; we totally screw with children's minds.

Clearly, I think that there should be more reward in education than there is. Obviously, children will do what feels best. Adults do, too.

There should definitely be a system whereby life is much more awesome for children who perform well in school, and it damn sure should be publicly funded. That next generation is going to make a ridiculous amount of money, and the resulting surging economy will result in a state that can very easily afford such provisions. With further success and growth through education resulting in proficiency and innovation, all of these little issues with greedy morons running the country would be history.

But, instead, young children are told that the most important thing in the world is something that they won't even be able to make for decades and their minds are stuffed with all sorts of nonsense that does nothing but make them socially retarded, divergent, rebellious, confused, and unproductive.