Jump to topic:

Who is more of a fool...

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 1:10:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The man who can't say what he means means nothing, to call him a genius is to spit at the very concept, to exercise a profound hatred for the human mind.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 1:12:14 PM
Well depends on why he can't say it. If there are no words or he is deaf blind has no arms or legs then I wouldn't call him a fool.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 1:41:10 PM
At 8/17/2010 1:10:10 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The man who can't say what he means means nothing, to call him a genius is to spit at the very concept, to exercise a profound hatred for the human mind.

To play devil's advocate, what if it's like trying to explain quantam physics to a monkey? What if what the genius is saying is so profound that nobody else can understand it?
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 3:37:54 PM
At 8/17/2010 1:02:53 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
A genius who cannot explain what he means or the person who cannot understand what he says?

I think both, because if I don't know what I'm talking about, and you sit theri and listen, then we are both guilty.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 3:39:38 PM
At 8/17/2010 1:41:10 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:

To play devil's advocate, what if it's like trying to explain quantam physics to a monkey? What if what the genius is saying is so profound that nobody else can understand it?

The genius being who he is should know how to simplify his language. NO one pays attention to people who speak over thier heads all the time.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 3:42:24 PM

The only time that someone would need to say something in a way which no one else can comprehend is when that person has something to hide - most likely the fact that the alleged "profundity" which he or she is propounding is, in reality, a complete crock of sh*t.

For example: Immanuel Kant.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 3:44:01 PM

What if he's a deaf, blind, mute? o.O
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 3:44:23 PM
At 8/17/2010 3:42:24 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

The only time that someone would need to say something in a way which no one else can comprehend is when that person has something to hide - most likely the fact that the alleged "profundity" which he or she is propounding is, in reality, a complete crock of sh*t.

For example: Immanuel Kant.

That is to say, if a man is truly a genius, he would be able to find a means by which to simplify and explain his theories, even if they venture into the realm of something as complex as quantum physics.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 3:44:51 PM
At 8/17/2010 3:44:01 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

What if he's a deaf, blind, mute? o.O

Like Helen Keller? She found another means, if I recall.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 3:45:12 PM
At 8/17/2010 1:12:14 PM, lovelife wrote:
Well depends on why he can't say it. If there are no words or he is deaf blind has no arms or legs then I wouldn't call him a fool.

Well he wouldn't hear you.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 3:51:21 PM
At 8/17/2010 3:45:12 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Did it say that about both of them? If person A is as I said he would not be a fool in my oppinion.
If someone just can't understand their teacher then they are a fool. (unless it is because they are blind deaf no arms etc)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 3:58:58 PM
At 8/17/2010 3:51:21 PM, lovelife wrote:

Did it say that about both of them? If person A is as I said he would not be a fool in my oppinion.
If someone just can't understand their teacher then they are a fool. (unless it is because they are blind deaf no arms etc)

Yea, salt and vinegar should be blue, cheese and onion should be green.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 4:05:26 PM
At 8/17/2010 3:58:58 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Not understanding what that has to do with anything....?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 4:21:05 PM
At 8/17/2010 3:58:58 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Actually, green is sour cream and onion.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2010 4:57:45 AM
At 8/17/2010 1:02:53 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
A genius who cannot explain what he means or the person who cannot understand what he says?:

Depends whether or not the genius is intentionally being verbose, or whether he's so book smart that he has no idea how to express thoughts.

Some people are so right-hemishphere dominant that processing language is extremely difficult for them.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2010 8:05:25 AM

To play devil's advocate, what if it's like trying to explain quantam physics to a monkey?
There is a difference between not saying what you mean and saying something in perfectly coherent language to someone who doesn't get it anyway.

What if what the genius is saying is so profound that nobody else can understand it?
Then nobody else has any reason to call him a genius. His genius status remains unknown, and it remains an insult to the concept of intellect to declare it to be there.
However, there remains an error in your reasoning. Profundity does not cause incomprehensibility. It could, hypothetically, coincide, by some unfortunate accident of the universe, but it would only be an unfortunate accident, and one that actually thinking is there without evidence is indicative of a psychologically unhealthy desire to believe it.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2010 3:54:04 AM
At 8/18/2010 8:05:25 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

To play devil's advocate, what if it's like trying to explain quantam physics to a monkey?
There is a difference between not saying what you mean and saying something in perfectly coherent language to someone who doesn't get it anyway.

What if what the genius is saying is so profound that nobody else can understand it?
Then nobody else has any reason to call him a genius. His genius status remains unknown, and it remains an insult to the concept of intellect to declare it to be there.
However, there remains an error in your reasoning. Profundity does not cause incomprehensibility. It could, hypothetically, coincide, by some unfortunate accident of the universe, but it would only be an unfortunate accident, and one that actually thinking is there without evidence is indicative of a psychologically unhealthy desire to believe it.

Give this man 10 points.

Your writing has improved incredibly in the time I was away btw Ragnar.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2010 7:31:32 AM
Why thankee.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2010 3:33:05 PM

Fair enough.

I am unsure of what you mean by your last sentence.
Exasperated_Youth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 12:52:41 PM

I see what you're getting at here, but this reminds me of a quote:
"Talent hits a target no-one else can hit. Genius hits a target no-one else can see."

It is foolish to brand people we can't understand as geniuses. But it's equally foolish to brand them as the opposite. In short, you can't judge what you don't understand.