Jump to topic:

The Confederate Flag is Finally Down

SummerLover19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 3:24:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As of July 10, 2015, the Confederate Flag has been removed from South Carolina's Capitol grounds after half of a century (54 years) flying in the air. It has been over a month since the horrible massacre of nine people in a monumental African-American church by the hands of a thug named Dylann Roof with the intention to start a race war. This unspeakable act led to the debate of removing the Confederate Flag from the S.C. Capitol, a flag that became a product of Roof's intentions that fateful day. Without the votes of people of ALL colors coming together to want to bring this symbol of hatred down, it would still be flying. It's beautiful how something that was meant to tear us farther apart brought us closer together as a nation.
AFism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 5:14:13 PM
At 7/10/2015 3:24:51 PM, SummerLover19 wrote:
As of July 10, 2015, the Confederate Flag has been removed from South Carolina's Capitol grounds after half of a century (54 years) flying in the air. It has been over a month since the horrible massacre of nine people in a monumental African-American church by the hands of a thug named Dylann Roof with the intention to start a race war. This unspeakable act led to the debate of removing the Confederate Flag from the S.C. Capitol, a flag that became a product of Roof's intentions that fateful day. Without the votes of people of ALL colors coming together to want to bring this symbol of hatred down, it would still be flying. It's beautiful how something that was meant to tear us farther apart brought us closer together as a nation.

I think we should also bring the American flag down. I mean which flag brought more oppression if you think about it.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 5:44:33 PM

Well, that should end racism. Or it was just a silly diversion to make people think that something was accomplished instead of, you know, actually addressing the topic of race relations in America after a racially motivated slaying. It's heartening that the sight of the Battle Standard flapping over the State House will no longer be driving random people into a murderous frenzy, which was apparently the cause of this violence.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
SummerLover19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 5:59:34 PM
At 7/10/2015 5:44:33 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Well, that should end racism. Or it was just a silly diversion to make people think that something was accomplished instead of, you know, actually addressing the topic of race relations in America after a racially motivated slaying. It's heartening that the sight of the Battle Standard flapping over the State House will no longer be driving random people into a murderous frenzy, which was apparently the cause of this violence.

Who said it ended racism? It surely wasn't me. The removal of that flag is a big step forward to healing and understanding, not a step back. Roof was not a random person to randomly murder innocent people. If you actually researched him, you would know that he planned this entire thing. And I didn't say that that flag was the main cause of his murder frenzy, his racism was, which is why he flaunted that flag in his pictures.
SummerLover19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 6:02:48 PM
At 7/10/2015 5:14:13 PM, AFism wrote:

I think we should also bring the American flag down. I mean which flag brought more oppression if you think about it.

What flag in the ENTIRE WORLD brought the most oppression? The American flag isn't the only one with that kind of history.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 7:11:09 PM
Its really nice to see that the government can work together to bring a flag down instead of working together to solve a plethora of other much more important things.
Nolite Timere
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 7:24:28 PM
At 7/10/2015 6:02:48 PM, SummerLover19 wrote:

What flag in the ENTIRE WORLD brought the most oppression? The American flag isn't the only one with that kind of history.

He's just trolling your thread.
SummerLover19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 8:32:36 PM
At 7/10/2015 7:24:28 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

He's just trolling your thread.

Thanks for the tip.
AFism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 8:33:01 PM

no crap just responding in the context of which it was written. THe american history context. Calm your tits
AFism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 8:33:27 PM
At 7/10/2015 7:11:09 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Its really nice to see that the government can work together to bring a flag down instead of working together to solve a plethora of other much more important things.

EXACTLY
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 11:19:27 PM
At 7/10/2015 5:59:34 PM, SummerLover19 wrote:

Who said it ended racism? It surely wasn't me. The removal of that flag is a big step forward to healing and understanding, not a step back.

No, it was utterly insignificant. It was a chance for white people to pat themselves on the back without actually doing anything to address racial issues.

Roof was not a random person to randomly murder innocent people. If you actually researched him, you would know that he planned this entire thing. And I didn't say that that flag was the main cause of his murder frenzy, his racism was, which is why he flaunted that flag in his pictures.

As I said, the idea that removing the flag will do anything to combat racism is farcical. It was a distraction, and now we will move on without actually addressing the problem, as we always do.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
SummerLover19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:03:49 AM
At 7/10/2015 11:19:27 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Who said it ended racism? It surely wasn't me. The removal of that flag is a big step forward to healing and understanding, not a step back.

No, it was utterly insignificant. It was a chance for white people to pat themselves on the back without actually doing anything to address racial issues.

Roof was not a random person to randomly murder innocent people. If you actually researched him, you would know that he planned this entire thing. And I didn't say that that flag was the main cause of his murder frenzy, his racism was, which is why he flaunted that flag in his pictures.

As I said, the idea that removing the flag will do anything to combat racism is farcical. It was a distraction, and now we will move on without actually addressing the problem, as we always do.

I can see your viewpoint since this is a matter of opinion. You're right, removing the flag does not whatsoever combat racism, but it does show how much we are slowly changing as a country. This is all I am commenting about. Nothing serious.
Sharku
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:14:33 AM
I would applaud them...

Except this is 2015. Not 1886.

Still, it's an important step in the right direction.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:17:57 AM
Social signaling rules.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:18:42 AM
At 7/10/2015 11:19:27 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

This. There's nothing I hate more than internet slactivism, especially by the self righteous

DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right