Total Posts:107|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

i wont apologize for being white.

Dilara
Posts: 661
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 10:03:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is a response to the new film "white people" made by an illegal alien.
I won"t apologize because my oppressed Protestant ancestors, on my father"s side came here to escape being raped with hot iron rods. I won"t apologize for my mom"s white family who were in Nazi labor camps for years during ww2. I won"t apologize for my white abolitionist great great grandfather who fought in the civil war to free the slaves voluntarily, or the other whites who risked their lives orchestrating the underground rail road, hiding escaped slaves in their basement, and marching in Selma to help blacks. Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things. I won"t ask all black people to apologize for the African chieftains" who sold war captives from rival tribes to the Europeans slave traders. I won"t ask all native Americans to apologize for the Indian on white massacres including the Jamestown massacre of f 1622 when Naive Americans killed 347 white colonists. I won"t ask all blacks to apologize to me for the 14000 black on white rapes that happen a year (less than 30 white on black rapes a year). I won"t shame all black because back on white crime is 8 times higher than white on back crime even though white people outnumber blacks 5 to 1. I won"t ask all blacks to apologize to white people because blacks are 25 times more likely to commit violent crimes against whites than whites are to commit violent crimes against blacks . I won"t blame all blacks for anti hate white crimes like these ones.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk... n

" http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
If you don"t like white people don"t use a constitution wrote by white people, or a car, or a tv, or a electricity since whites invented those things. Don"t practice Protestantism as the reformation happened in Europe. Most non whites and whites are appalled by this racist documentary. I"ll be boycotting mtv now. I've signed a petition to sign it from airing.
Sharku
Posts: 96
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:26:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
No one is asking you to apologize for being white.

Now kindly pull your head out of your arse and learn the different between individual incidents of prejudice that happen on a case by case basis and systematic racism that happens on a larger scale by those in charge.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 2:09:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
No one is asking you to apologize for being white. Good Lord, you're tone deaf.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 2:15:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 10:03:28 PM, Dilara wrote:
. Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things.

You're right. They didn't. They just sat back and watched and didn't say a damn thing.

Silence implies consent.

Or worse, they stayed willfully ignorant of what was and is happening.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 7:57:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I won't even acknowledge this race baiting BS. Tyranny is universal. The mindless look at skin color. The intelligent look at the mind. When I look at govt the media and politics I see the mindless.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 9:27:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 2:15:53 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 10:03:28 PM, Dilara wrote:
. Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things.

You're right. They didn't. They just sat back and watched and didn't say a damn thing.

Silence implies consent.

Or worse, they stayed willfully ignorant of what was and is happening.

This isn't really true, and is an over-broad generalization. Quakers, for example, gave up any tepid support of slavery almost immediately after arriving in the new world, and fought for abolition for centuries. The Narragansett Bay plantations outlawed chattel slavery as early as the 17th century, and Rhode Island was a frequent peace broker between native tribes and European powers, with the founder of the colony even refusing to acknowledge colony charters which weren't fairly purchased from native tribes. White people can't be treated as a monolith, especially historically.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 9:39:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 9:27:48 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 7/11/2015 2:15:53 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 10:03:28 PM, Dilara wrote:
. Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things.

You're right. They didn't. They just sat back and watched and didn't say a damn thing.

Silence implies consent.

Or worse, they stayed willfully ignorant of what was and is happening.

This isn't really true, and is an over-broad generalization. Quakers, for example, gave up any tepid support of slavery almost immediately after arriving in the new world, and fought for abolition for centuries. The Narragansett Bay plantations outlawed chattel slavery as early as the 17th century, and Rhode Island was a frequent peace broker between native tribes and European powers, with the founder of the colony even refusing to acknowledge colony charters which weren't fairly purchased from native tribes. White people can't be treated as a monolith, especially historically.

If it wasn't true, then slavery, jim crow, etc would've ended much faster. I never said ALL white people - of course there were/are some that speak up. But it's simple fact that most people are part of the silent majority.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 10:52:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 9:39:50 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/11/2015 9:27:48 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 7/11/2015 2:15:53 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 10:03:28 PM, Dilara wrote:
. Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things.

You're right. They didn't. They just sat back and watched and didn't say a damn thing.

Silence implies consent.

Or worse, they stayed willfully ignorant of what was and is happening.

This isn't really true, and is an over-broad generalization. Quakers, for example, gave up any tepid support of slavery almost immediately after arriving in the new world, and fought for abolition for centuries. The Narragansett Bay plantations outlawed chattel slavery as early as the 17th century, and Rhode Island was a frequent peace broker between native tribes and European powers, with the founder of the colony even refusing to acknowledge colony charters which weren't fairly purchased from native tribes. White people can't be treated as a monolith, especially historically.

If it wasn't true, then slavery, jim crow, etc would've ended much faster. I never said ALL white people - of course there were/are some that speak up. But it's simple fact that most people are part of the silent majority.

In this particular case, it's much more reasonable to distinguish by region rather than skin color. Slavery, Jim Crow, and other gross injustices persisted because of the prevalent attitudes of Southern whites; rolling into that group all white people in the North (especially New England) doesn't make much sense. It also makes sense to distinguish by issue, as Quakers, for example, were intensely abolitionist, but clung to school segregation for a long time. When it comes to anti-miscegenation law, those New England states which passed such laws to begin with repealed those statutes without coercion from the federal government in the mid-to-late 19th century, and Pennsylvania repealed them in the 18th century, while those in the South clung to them even in the face of coercion. You can see that different racial issues had different support from different white populations, with some white populations having a pretty sterling record (New Englanders, for example), and others having particularly tarnished reputations (Southerners and, to a lesser degree, Westerners.)

My main point is that failing to note that there were significant blocks of whites who did not support racist policies, historically, is myopic, and that holding people who belong to those heritages culpable for things like Jim Crow is completely counterproductive, bordering on insulting.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:54:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 10:52:43 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 7/11/2015 9:39:50 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/11/2015 9:27:48 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 7/11/2015 2:15:53 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 10:03:28 PM, Dilara wrote:
. Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things.

You're right. They didn't. They just sat back and watched and didn't say a damn thing.

Silence implies consent.

Or worse, they stayed willfully ignorant of what was and is happening.

This isn't really true, and is an over-broad generalization. Quakers, for example, gave up any tepid support of slavery almost immediately after arriving in the new world, and fought for abolition for centuries. The Narragansett Bay plantations outlawed chattel slavery as early as the 17th century, and Rhode Island was a frequent peace broker between native tribes and European powers, with the founder of the colony even refusing to acknowledge colony charters which weren't fairly purchased from native tribes. White people can't be treated as a monolith, especially historically.

If it wasn't true, then slavery, jim crow, etc would've ended much faster. I never said ALL white people - of course there were/are some that speak up. But it's simple fact that most people are part of the silent majority.

In this particular case, it's much more reasonable to distinguish by region rather than skin color. Slavery, Jim Crow, and other gross injustices persisted because of the prevalent attitudes of Southern whites; rolling into that group all white people in the North (especially New England) doesn't make much sense. It also makes sense to distinguish by issue, as Quakers, for example, were intensely abolitionist, but clung to school segregation for a long time. When it comes to anti-miscegenation law, those New England states which passed such laws to begin with repealed those statutes without coercion from the federal government in the mid-to-late 19th century, and Pennsylvania repealed them in the 18th century, while those in the South clung to them even in the face of coercion. You can see that different racial issues had different support from different white populations, with some white populations having a pretty sterling record (New Englanders, for example), and others having particularly tarnished reputations (Southerners and, to a lesser degree, Westerners.)

My main point is that failing to note that there were significant blocks of whites who did not support racist policies, historically, is myopic, and that holding people who belong to those heritages culpable for things like Jim Crow is completely counterproductive, bordering on insulting.

Is this seriously going to be another #notallwhitepeople conversation?

How does me not specifically mentioning particular subsets of white conscientious objectors - when the subsets were/are by definition are but part of the set encompassing the white population of America, thus the minority - take away from my point? We are talking about on the whole here.

Me saying there is a problem with the American judicial system is unfair to minorities doesn't imply that each and every minority has been treated unfairly by the judicial system and that each and every purveryor of the law (overwhelmingly white on the whole) is racist. There may even be "significant" subsets of those purveryors who are as fair as possible. That still doesn't take away from my point that the American judicial system, on the whole, is unfair to minorities and me not specifically mentioning those who are fair doesn't detract from my point.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Objectivity
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 4:10:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 12:54:04 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/11/2015 10:52:43 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 7/11/2015 9:39:50 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/11/2015 9:27:48 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 7/11/2015 2:15:53 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 10:03:28 PM, Dilara wrote:
. Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things.

You're right. They didn't. They just sat back and watched and didn't say a damn thing.

Silence implies consent.

Or worse, they stayed willfully ignorant of what was and is happening.

This isn't really true, and is an over-broad generalization. Quakers, for example, gave up any tepid support of slavery almost immediately after arriving in the new world, and fought for abolition for centuries. The Narragansett Bay plantations outlawed chattel slavery as early as the 17th century, and Rhode Island was a frequent peace broker between native tribes and European powers, with the founder of the colony even refusing to acknowledge colony charters which weren't fairly purchased from native tribes. White people can't be treated as a monolith, especially historically.

If it wasn't true, then slavery, jim crow, etc would've ended much faster. I never said ALL white people - of course there were/are some that speak up. But it's simple fact that most people are part of the silent majority.

In this particular case, it's much more reasonable to distinguish by region rather than skin color. Slavery, Jim Crow, and other gross injustices persisted because of the prevalent attitudes of Southern whites; rolling into that group all white people in the North (especially New England) doesn't make much sense. It also makes sense to distinguish by issue, as Quakers, for example, were intensely abolitionist, but clung to school segregation for a long time. When it comes to anti-miscegenation law, those New England states which passed such laws to begin with repealed those statutes without coercion from the federal government in the mid-to-late 19th century, and Pennsylvania repealed them in the 18th century, while those in the South clung to them even in the face of coercion. You can see that different racial issues had different support from different white populations, with some white populations having a pretty sterling record (New Englanders, for example), and others having particularly tarnished reputations (Southerners and, to a lesser degree, Westerners.)

My main point is that failing to note that there were significant blocks of whites who did not support racist policies, historically, is myopic, and that holding people who belong to those heritages culpable for things like Jim Crow is completely counterproductive, bordering on insulting.

Is this seriously going to be another #notallwhitepeople conversation?

How does me not specifically mentioning particular subsets of white conscientious objectors - when the subsets were/are by definition are but part of the set encompassing the white population of America, thus the minority - take away from my point? We are talking about on the whole here.

Me saying there is a problem with the American judicial system is unfair to minorities doesn't imply that each and every minority has been treated unfairly by the judicial system and that each and every purveryor of the law (overwhelmingly white on the whole) is racist. There may even be "significant" subsets of those purveryors who are as fair as possible. That still doesn't take away from my point that the American judicial system, on the whole, is unfair to minorities and me not specifically mentioning those who are fair doesn't detract from my point.

Please, do tell me how the American judicial system is on the whole unfair to racial minorities. That's a pretty high burden of proof, I welcome you to fulfill it. I understand you were just being hypothetical but something tells me you actually believe that is true, so go ahead and prove it to me.
AFism
Posts: 1,030
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 4:32:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
oh my god get your head out of your arse with all of your goddamned guilt and angst. JESUS.
AFism
Posts: 1,030
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 4:33:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 4:10:04 PM, Objectivity wrote:

Please, do tell me how the American judicial system is on the whole unfair to racial minorities. That's a pretty high burden of proof, I welcome you to fulfill it. I understand you were just being hypothetical but something tells me you actually believe that is true, so go ahead and prove it to me.

the proof is right in your face, you only need one example for it to be true. just look at the sentencing disparities and compare yourself. It really isn't that hard.
Objectivity
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 4:45:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 4:33:44 PM, AFism wrote:
At 7/11/2015 4:10:04 PM, Objectivity wrote:

Please, do tell me how the American judicial system is on the whole unfair to racial minorities. That's a pretty high burden of proof, I welcome you to fulfill it. I understand you were just being hypothetical but something tells me you actually believe that is true, so go ahead and prove it to me.

the proof is right in your face, you only need one example for it to be true. just look at the sentencing disparities and compare yourself. It really isn't that hard.

Have you ever considered that most studies involving sentencing disparities don't include things like recidivism, where blacks are 43.8% more likely to reoffend than whites?

http://www.dc.state.fl.us...
ironslippers
Posts: 513
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:04:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I won't apologize for being well hung, nor will I divide my assets to compensate for someone else's impotence.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
AFism
Posts: 1,030
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:25:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 4:45:40 PM, Objectivity wrote:
At 7/11/2015 4:33:44 PM, AFism wrote:
At 7/11/2015 4:10:04 PM, Objectivity wrote:

Please, do tell me how the American judicial system is on the whole unfair to racial minorities. That's a pretty high burden of proof, I welcome you to fulfill it. I understand you were just being hypothetical but something tells me you actually believe that is true, so go ahead and prove it to me.

the proof is right in your face, you only need one example for it to be true. just look at the sentencing disparities and compare yourself. It really isn't that hard.

Have you ever considered that most studies involving sentencing disparities don't include things like recidivism, where blacks are 43.8% more likely to reoffend than whites?

http://www.dc.state.fl.us...

Of course. But you then have the burden of proof to say that all every black person will commit another offense after they commit one, since the other premise accounts for the system as a whole. Good luck with that.
Objectivity
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 6:04:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 5:25:37 PM, AFism wrote:
At 7/11/2015 4:45:40 PM, Objectivity wrote:
At 7/11/2015 4:33:44 PM, AFism wrote:
At 7/11/2015 4:10:04 PM, Objectivity wrote:

Please, do tell me how the American judicial system is on the whole unfair to racial minorities. That's a pretty high burden of proof, I welcome you to fulfill it. I understand you were just being hypothetical but something tells me you actually believe that is true, so go ahead and prove it to me.

the proof is right in your face, you only need one example for it to be true. just look at the sentencing disparities and compare yourself. It really isn't that hard.

Have you ever considered that most studies involving sentencing disparities don't include things like recidivism, where blacks are 43.8% more likely to reoffend than whites?

http://www.dc.state.fl.us...

Of course. But you then have the burden of proof to say that all every black person will commit another offense after they commit one, since the other premise accounts for the system as a whole. Good luck with that.

No I don't, in any situation where there is a disparity of some sort if I can give rational reasons for said disparity then I have fulfilled my BOP. Besides, you and your lot are the people making the affirmative claim of institutional racism so the BOP lies mostly on you, instead of whining that people won't accept your absurd charges of institutional racism prove they exist.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,848
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 6:10:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
https://pbs.twimg.com...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Such
Posts: 1,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 6:43:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 4:10:04 PM, Objectivity wrote:
At 7/11/2015 12:54:04 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/11/2015 10:52:43 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 7/11/2015 9:39:50 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/11/2015 9:27:48 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 7/11/2015 2:15:53 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 10:03:28 PM, Dilara wrote:
. Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things.

You're right. They didn't. They just sat back and watched and didn't say a damn thing.

Silence implies consent.

Or worse, they stayed willfully ignorant of what was and is happening.

This isn't really true, and is an over-broad generalization. Quakers, for example, gave up any tepid support of slavery almost immediately after arriving in the new world, and fought for abolition for centuries. The Narragansett Bay plantations outlawed chattel slavery as early as the 17th century, and Rhode Island was a frequent peace broker between native tribes and European powers, with the founder of the colony even refusing to acknowledge colony charters which weren't fairly purchased from native tribes. White people can't be treated as a monolith, especially historically.

If it wasn't true, then slavery, jim crow, etc would've ended much faster. I never said ALL white people - of course there were/are some that speak up. But it's simple fact that most people are part of the silent majority.

In this particular case, it's much more reasonable to distinguish by region rather than skin color. Slavery, Jim Crow, and other gross injustices persisted because of the prevalent attitudes of Southern whites; rolling into that group all white people in the North (especially New England) doesn't make much sense. It also makes sense to distinguish by issue, as Quakers, for example, were intensely abolitionist, but clung to school segregation for a long time. When it comes to anti-miscegenation law, those New England states which passed such laws to begin with repealed those statutes without coercion from the federal government in the mid-to-late 19th century, and Pennsylvania repealed them in the 18th century, while those in the South clung to them even in the face of coercion. You can see that different racial issues had different support from different white populations, with some white populations having a pretty sterling record (New Englanders, for example), and others having particularly tarnished reputations (Southerners and, to a lesser degree, Westerners.)

My main point is that failing to note that there were significant blocks of whites who did not support racist policies, historically, is myopic, and that holding people who belong to those heritages culpable for things like Jim Crow is completely counterproductive, bordering on insulting.

Is this seriously going to be another #notallwhitepeople conversation?

How does me not specifically mentioning particular subsets of white conscientious objectors - when the subsets were/are by definition are but part of the set encompassing the white population of America, thus the minority - take away from my point? We are talking about on the whole here.

Me saying there is a problem with the American judicial system is unfair to minorities doesn't imply that each and every minority has been treated unfairly by the judicial system and that each and every purveryor of the law (overwhelmingly white on the whole) is racist. There may even be "significant" subsets of those purveryors who are as fair as possible. That still doesn't take away from my point that the American judicial system, on the whole, is unfair to minorities and me not specifically mentioning those who are fair doesn't detract from my point.

Please, do tell me how the American judicial system is on the whole unfair to racial minorities. That's a pretty high burden of proof, I welcome you to fulfill it. I understand you were just being hypothetical but something tells me you actually believe that is true, so go ahead and prove it to me.

Your sardonic tone belies the existence of racial profiling. A single statement shouldn't so easily dismantle such a snooty response.
Such
Posts: 1,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 6:46:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 10:03:28 PM, Dilara wrote:
This is a response to the new film "white people" made by an illegal alien.
I won"t apologize because my oppressed Protestant ancestors, on my father"s side came here to escape being raped with hot iron rods. I won"t apologize for my mom"s white family who were in Nazi labor camps for years during ww2. I won"t apologize for my white abolitionist great great grandfather who fought in the civil war to free the slaves voluntarily, or the other whites who risked their lives orchestrating the underground rail road, hiding escaped slaves in their basement, and marching in Selma to help blacks. Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things. I won"t ask all black people to apologize for the African chieftains" who sold war captives from rival tribes to the Europeans slave traders. I won"t ask all native Americans to apologize for the Indian on white massacres including the Jamestown massacre of f 1622 when Naive Americans killed 347 white colonists. I won"t ask all blacks to apologize to me for the 14000 black on white rapes that happen a year (less than 30 white on black rapes a year). I won"t shame all black because back on white crime is 8 times higher than white on back crime even though white people outnumber blacks 5 to 1. I won"t ask all blacks to apologize to white people because blacks are 25 times more likely to commit violent crimes against whites than whites are to commit violent crimes against blacks . I won"t blame all blacks for anti hate white crimes like these ones.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk... n

" http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
If you don"t like white people don"t use a constitution wrote by white people, or a car, or a tv, or a electricity since whites invented those things. Don"t practice Protestantism as the reformation happened in Europe. Most non whites and whites are appalled by this racist documentary. I"ll be boycotting mtv now. I've signed a petition to sign it from airing.

I wasn't going to reply to this, but then you said that white people invented electricity.

I think your perspectives in this post are neatly summarized by the fact that you literally believe that "white people invented electricity."

That's great.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 7:12:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
In about 600 BC, the Ancient Greeks discovered that rubbing fur on amber (fossilized tree resin) caused an attraction between the two " and so what the Greeks discovered was actually static electricity.
Such
Posts: 1,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 7:16:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 7:12:52 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
In about 600 BC, the Ancient Greeks discovered that rubbing fur on amber (fossilized tree resin) caused an attraction between the two " and so what the Greeks discovered was actually static electricity.

That's probably true.

What they didn't do, is invent electricity, nor discover any sort of functional use for electricity.
Oreo222
Posts: 180
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 8:58:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 10:03:28 PM, Dilara wrote:
This is a response to the new film "white people" made by an illegal alien.
I won"t apologize because my oppressed Protestant ancestors, on my father"s side came here to escape being raped with hot iron rods. I won"t apologize for my mom"s white family who were in Nazi labor camps for years during ww2. I won"t apologize for my white abolitionist great great grandfather who fought in the civil war to free the slaves voluntarily, or the other whites who risked their lives orchestrating the underground rail road, hiding escaped slaves in their basement, and marching in Selma to help blacks. Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things. I won"t ask all black people to apologize for the African chieftains" who sold war captives from rival tribes to the Europeans slave traders. I won"t ask all native Americans to apologize for the Indian on white massacres including the Jamestown massacre of f 1622 when Naive Americans killed 347 white colonists. I won"t ask all blacks to apologize to me for the 14000 black on white rapes that happen a year (less than 30 white on black rapes a year). I won"t shame all black because back on white crime is 8 times higher than white on back crime even though white people outnumber blacks 5 to 1. I won"t ask all blacks to apologize to white people because blacks are 25 times more likely to commit violent crimes against whites than whites are to commit violent crimes against blacks . I won"t blame all blacks for anti hate white crimes like these ones.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk... n

" http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
If you don"t like white people don"t use a constitution wrote by white people, or a car, or a tv, or a electricity since whites invented those things. Don"t practice Protestantism as the reformation happened in Europe. Most non whites and whites are appalled by this racist documentary. I"ll be boycotting mtv now. I've signed a petition to sign it from airing.

Here's some facts:
Whites invented those things because they wouldn't allow black people to invent things on their own. White people oppressed black people and prevented them from doing progressive things like the Constitution.
China mass produces things like phones, should only the Chinese use phones?
In the Middle East, Mesopotamians invented the wheel. Should Arabs only use cars then?
You make it seem like religion should only be followed by where they originated. If that's true, then surely only Arabs should follow Christianity since it was made in the Middle East? Does this mean you should only follow a Pagan religion since many originated in Europe?
The Nazis wanted to kill all non-whites.
You've completely ignored the fact of there being more white-on-black murders than black-on-white murders.
I won't blame white people for all the hate crimes white people have done.
(No link needed. Just open a history text book)
"Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things."
That's a load of crap. Racial slavery was originated by white people and continued for generations.

No one is making you apologize for being white, but if you're going to b*tch about something like this, at least use some valid points.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 10:57:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 8:58:08 PM, Oreo222 wrote:
At 7/10/2015 10:03:28 PM, Dilara wrote:
This is a response to the new film "white people" made by an illegal alien.
I won"t apologize because my oppressed Protestant ancestors, on my father"s side came here to escape being raped with hot iron rods. I won"t apologize for my mom"s white family who were in Nazi labor camps for years during ww2. I won"t apologize for my white abolitionist great great grandfather who fought in the civil war to free the slaves voluntarily, or the other whites who risked their lives orchestrating the underground rail road, hiding escaped slaves in their basement, and marching in Selma to help blacks. Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things. I won"t ask all black people to apologize for the African chieftains" who sold war captives from rival tribes to the Europeans slave traders. I won"t ask all native Americans to apologize for the Indian on white massacres including the Jamestown massacre of f 1622 when Naive Americans killed 347 white colonists. I won"t ask all blacks to apologize to me for the 14000 black on white rapes that happen a year (less than 30 white on black rapes a year). I won"t shame all black because back on white crime is 8 times higher than white on back crime even though white people outnumber blacks 5 to 1. I won"t ask all blacks to apologize to white people because blacks are 25 times more likely to commit violent crimes against whites than whites are to commit violent crimes against blacks . I won"t blame all blacks for anti hate white crimes like these ones.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk... n

" http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
If you don"t like white people don"t use a constitution wrote by white people, or a car, or a tv, or a electricity since whites invented those things. Don"t practice Protestantism as the reformation happened in Europe. Most non whites and whites are appalled by this racist documentary. I"ll be boycotting mtv now. I've signed a petition to sign it from airing.

Here's some facts:
Whites invented those things because they wouldn't allow black people to invent things on their own. White people oppressed black people and prevented them from doing progressive things like the Constitution.

Lol, no. The ideas within the Constitution are built off of centuries of European heritage, and a lot of white blood and tears which went into forming that heritage. The idea that white people deprived anyone of anything by developing their own political philosophy is ridiculous. European culture is unique. I wouldn't say that it's objectively better, but it's what works for people of a European cultural mold. Analogues have developed in other cultures, including black cultures (Abyssinia was an incredibly old cradles of civilization), Native American cultures (the Iroquois), the Far and Near East (Chinese law and custom and Islamic jurisprudence being two examples).

China mass produces things like phones, should only the Chinese use phones?
She didn't make that point.

In the Middle East, Mesopotamians invented the wheel. Should Arabs only use cars then?
How are Arabs Mesopotamians?

You make it seem like religion should only be followed by where they originated. If that's true, then surely only Arabs should follow Christianity since it was made in the Middle East? Does this mean you should only follow a Pagan religion since many originated in Europe?

Arabs are not the only ethnic group in the Middle East, and had nothing to do with the formation of Christianity.

The Nazis wanted to kill all non-whites.
... The Nazis were allied with Imperial Japan.

You've completely ignored the fact of there being more white-on-black murders than black-on-white murders.
I won't blame white people for all the hate crimes white people have done.
(No link needed. Just open a history text book)

If you're talking about in the history of the world, the claim is impossible to verify or falsify, and opens a real can of worms. For one: do Arabs count as black or white?

"Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things."
That's a load of crap. Racial slavery was originated by white people and continued for generations.

And it was made illegal across Europe and in a large amount of northern colonies. Rhode Island, for example, instituted abolition at its founding. Look up the Mamluk Sultanate; they were a class of predominantly white slaves who rose up to establish power in North Africa. The Jannisaries in the Ottoman Empire consisted of Balkan whites who were enslaved and castrated during childhood as a form of taxation on their parents. Hell, the word slave is derived from slav, a white ethnic group which was the frequent target of slaver raids. The black slave trade existed for a few centuries; it was part of an ephemeral sequence of goods exchange, and vanished soon after the economic system which spawned it ceased to be a stable source of income; the Arab slave trade followed a similar pattern of birth and death. Slavery didn't begin and end with whites selling blacks.

No one is making you apologize for being white, but if you're going to b*tch about something like this, at least use some valid points.

Her entire point is that that's what the documentary is pushing, that white people have to 'internalize what they've done to this country'.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
fazz
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 11:18:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 8:58:08 PM, Oreo222 wrote:
At 7/10/2015 10:03:28 PM, Dilara wrote:
This is a response to the new film "white people" made by an illegal alien.
I won"t apologize because my oppressed Protestant ancestors, on my father"s side came here to escape being raped with hot iron rods. I won"t apologize for my mom"s white family who were in Nazi labor camps for years during ww2. I won"t apologize for my white abolitionist great great grandfather who fought in the civil war to free the slaves voluntarily, or the other whites who risked their lives orchestrating the underground rail road, hiding escaped slaves in their basement, and marching in Selma to help blacks. Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things. I won"t ask all black people to apologize for the African chieftains" who sold war captives from rival tribes to the Europeans slave traders. I won"t ask all native Americans to apologize for the Indian on white massacres including the Jamestown massacre of f 1622 when Naive Americans killed 347 white colonists. I won"t ask all blacks to apologize to me for the 14000 black on white rapes that happen a year (less than 30 white on black rapes a year). I won"t shame all black because back on white crime is 8 times higher than white on back crime even though white people outnumber blacks 5 to 1. I won"t ask all blacks to apologize to white people because blacks are 25 times more likely to commit violent crimes against whites than whites are to commit violent crimes against blacks . I won"t blame all blacks for anti hate white crimes like these ones.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk... n

" http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
If you don"t like white people don"t use a constitution wrote by white people, or a car, or a tv, or a electricity since whites invented those things. Don"t practice Protestantism as the reformation happened in Europe. Most non whites and whites are appalled by this racist documentary. I"ll be boycotting mtv now. I've signed a petition to sign it from airing.

Here's some facts:
Whites invented those things because they wouldn't allow black people to invent things on their own. White people oppressed black people and prevented them from doing progressive things like the Constitution.
China mass produces things like phones, should only the Chinese use phones?
In the Middle East, Mesopotamians invented the wheel. Should Arabs only use cars then?
You make it seem like religion should only be followed by where they originated. If that's true, then surely only Arabs should follow Christianity since it was made in the Middle East? Does this mean you should only follow a Pagan religion since many originated in Europe?
The Nazis wanted to kill all non-whites.
You've completely ignored the fact of there being more white-on-black murders than black-on-white murders.
I won't blame white people for all the hate crimes white people have done.
(No link needed. Just open a history text book)
"Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things."
That's a load of crap. Racial slavery was originated by white people and continued for generations.

No one is making you apologize for being white, but if you're going to b*tch about something like this, at least use some valid points.

Wouldn't you say poor whites vs. blacks is a false dichotomy. Repel is hardest when two "like" poles collide. Science, b*itch.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 11:18:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 12:54:04 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/11/2015 10:52:43 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 7/11/2015 9:39:50 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/11/2015 9:27:48 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 7/11/2015 2:15:53 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 10:03:28 PM, Dilara wrote:
. Most white people didn"t take part in those horrible things.

You're right. They didn't. They just sat back and watched and didn't say a damn thing.

Silence implies consent.

Or worse, they stayed willfully ignorant of what was and is happening.

This isn't really true, and is an over-broad generalization. Quakers, for example, gave up any tepid support of slavery almost immediately after arriving in the new world, and fought for abolition for centuries. The Narragansett Bay plantations outlawed chattel slavery as early as the 17th century, and Rhode Island was a frequent peace broker between native tribes and European powers, with the founder of the colony even refusing to acknowledge colony charters which weren't fairly purchased from native tribes. White people can't be treated as a monolith, especially historically.

If it wasn't true, then slavery, jim crow, etc would've ended much faster. I never said ALL white people - of course there were/are some that speak up. But it's simple fact that most people are part of the silent majority.

In this particular case, it's much more reasonable to distinguish by region rather than skin color. Slavery, Jim Crow, and other gross injustices persisted because of the prevalent attitudes of Southern whites; rolling into that group all white people in the North (especially New England) doesn't make much sense. It also makes sense to distinguish by issue, as Quakers, for example, were intensely abolitionist, but clung to school segregation for a long time. When it comes to anti-miscegenation law, those New England states which passed such laws to begin with repealed those statutes without coercion from the federal government in the mid-to-late 19th century, and Pennsylvania repealed them in the 18th century, while those in the South clung to them even in the face of coercion. You can see that different racial issues had different support from different white populations, with some white populations having a pretty sterling record (New Englanders, for example), and others having particularly tarnished reputations (Southerners and, to a lesser degree, Westerners.)

My main point is that failing to note that there were significant blocks of whites who did not support racist policies, historically, is myopic, and that holding people who belong to those heritages culpable for things like Jim Crow is completely counterproductive, bordering on insulting.

Is this seriously going to be another #notallwhitepeople conversation?

How does me not specifically mentioning particular subsets of white conscientious objectors - when the subsets were/are by definition are but part of the set encompassing the white population of America, thus the minority - take away from my point? We are talking about on the whole here.

The documentary involved going around to various white people in an effort to get them to 'internalize what they've done to this country.' I don't see how treating white people as some monolithic force when it comes to what sort of guilt they ought to hold can be defended. An old white family from Rhode Island, for example, has little to be guilty of. A family which, in the last few generations, moved here from the Balkans, has pretty much nothing to be guilty of.

Me saying there is a problem with the American judicial system is unfair to minorities doesn't imply that each and every minority has been treated unfairly by the judicial system and that each and every purveryor of the law (overwhelmingly white on the whole) is racist. There may even be "significant" subsets of those purveryors who are as fair as possible. That still doesn't take away from my point that the American judicial system, on the whole, is unfair to minorities and me not specifically mentioning those who are fair doesn't detract from my point.

I'm not arguing that there isn't a problem with the American judicial system. I'm arguing that the premise of this documentary is, for lack of a better word, dumb. Getting white people to 'internalize what they've done to this country' implies collective guilt, a concept which I find absurd. Become cognizant of the systemic factors in society which oppress others to our advantage and work to rectify them? I support that 100%. Forcing people to accept responsibility for what may not even be their fathers' crimes, but for crimes which were committed by people of the same pigmentation decades ago? That's absurd and counterproductive.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,848
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 11:24:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 11:23:32 PM, fazz wrote:
At 7/11/2015 6:10:59 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com...

https://www.youtube.com...

Was that Wesley Snipes?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
fazz
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 11:26:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 11:24:28 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 7/11/2015 11:23:32 PM, fazz wrote:
At 7/11/2015 6:10:59 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com...

https://www.youtube.com...

Was that Wesley Snipes?

No, it was a black guy.. :P