Total Posts:37|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

White priveledge

Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 3:55:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What a racist concept. White Privileged.

I have NEVER had anything given to me, or opportunities opened up to me, or standards lowered because of the color of my skin. That is a lot more than some can say.

Next to the color of skin. In my service to this country I have seen my parts of my skin turn yellow, green, purple, blue, red, and brown.

I've seen my own blood and the blood of others more often than most. Nothing surprising there it was all red.

Seems to me the most Racist people out there, are the "progressive" "liberal" and "left" who want to create a race war with this kind of demonizing junk.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 4:09:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I usually know someone doesn't have a clue what they're talking about when they can't spell the thing they're trying to argue about.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 4:17:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 3:55:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
What a racist concept. White Privileged.

I have NEVER had anything given to me, or opportunities opened up to me, or standards lowered because of the color of my skin. That is a lot more than some can say.

And I've never had the police give me trouble that is beyond their allowed means. That must mean police brutality doesn't exist. Right...right?

Next to the color of skin. In my service to this country I have seen my parts of my skin turn yellow, green, purple, blue, red, and brown.

I've seen my own blood and the blood of others more often than most. Nothing surprising there it was all red.


All quite irrelevant.

Seems to me the most Racist people out there, are the "progressive" "liberal" and "left" who want to create a race war with this kind of demonizing junk.

Just like the gay people want to create a gay rule oppressing all straight people by pushing for things like marriage and discrimination laws.

Think about how ridiculous this sounds. Because people want to get rid of unfair advantages for the majority race, they must be racists against the majority.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 4:25:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 4:17:56 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 7/12/2015 3:55:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
What a racist concept. White Privileged.

I have NEVER had anything given to me, or opportunities opened up to me, or standards lowered because of the color of my skin. That is a lot more than some can say.

And I've never had the police give me trouble that is beyond their allowed means. That must mean police brutality doesn't exist. Right...right?

Next to the color of skin. In my service to this country I have seen my parts of my skin turn yellow, green, purple, blue, red, and brown.

I've seen my own blood and the blood of others more often than most. Nothing surprising there it was all red.


All quite irrelevant.

Seems to me the most Racist people out there, are the "progressive" "liberal" and "left" who want to create a race war with this kind of demonizing junk.

Just like the gay people want to create a gay rule oppressing all straight people by pushing for things like marriage and discrimination laws.

Think about how ridiculous this sounds. Because people want to get rid of unfair advantages for the majority race, they must be racists against the majority.

I want to get rid of police brutality. But i also don't rob stores and then tell the cops to fvck themselves when I get asked to get out of the middle of the street.

If there are any laws that give advantages based on skin color, oh I don't know like Affirmative Action, then I am for getting rid of them.

I don't think any advantage or opportunity should predicated on the color of ones skin.

But let's be honest what racist liberals and you are arguing for is that advantages and opportunity be awarded for black, mexican, lesbian, ... everything except white heterosexual male.

When there are 2 groups of power in a country, when one takes over and oppresses the other, when the latter takes over the oppression is returned. This is natural.

So racist bigots like in the leftist news describe and espouse a historical narrative of white christian heterosexual males just oppressing everyone.

To what end? so that the 2percenters and minority can demean, demonize, and oppress the white man.

I advocate for NO COLOR, the Left and people like you advocate for imbalance based on color.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 4:31:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 4:25:27 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/12/2015 4:17:56 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 7/12/2015 3:55:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
What a racist concept. White Privileged.

I have NEVER had anything given to me, or opportunities opened up to me, or standards lowered because of the color of my skin. That is a lot more than some can say.

And I've never had the police give me trouble that is beyond their allowed means. That must mean police brutality doesn't exist. Right...right?

Next to the color of skin. In my service to this country I have seen my parts of my skin turn yellow, green, purple, blue, red, and brown.

I've seen my own blood and the blood of others more often than most. Nothing surprising there it was all red.


All quite irrelevant.

Seems to me the most Racist people out there, are the "progressive" "liberal" and "left" who want to create a race war with this kind of demonizing junk.

Just like the gay people want to create a gay rule oppressing all straight people by pushing for things like marriage and discrimination laws.

Think about how ridiculous this sounds. Because people want to get rid of unfair advantages for the majority race, they must be racists against the majority.

I want to get rid of police brutality. But i also don't rob stores and then tell the cops to fvck themselves when I get asked to get out of the middle of the street.

Is that relevant? What a few people do is not relevant at all to someone possibly being a victim of police brutality. I guess all sports fans should be demonized, too, when a smaller portion of them get violent.

If there are any laws that give advantages based on skin color, oh I don't know like Affirmative Action, then I am for getting rid of them.

The point of affirmative action is to balance opportunity.

I don't think any advantage or opportunity should predicated on the color of ones skin.

But let's be honest what racist liberals and you are arguing for is that advantages and opportunity be awarded for black, mexican, lesbian, ... everything except white heterosexual male.

You assume too much. Personally, I am against affirmative action. So I don't think anyone should be judged on skin color, just their merit and their actions. But that doesn't mean I think white privilege doesn't exist.

When there are 2 groups of power in a country, when one takes over and oppresses the other, when the latter takes over the oppression is returned. This is natural.

So racist bigots like in the leftist news describe and espouse a historical narrative of white christian heterosexual males just oppressing everyone.

To what end? so that the 2percenters and minority can demean, demonize, and oppress the white man.

You're an idiot if you think you are oppressed. Show me one way you are truly oppressed.

I advocate for NO COLOR, the Left and people like you advocate for imbalance based on color.

You're an idiot if you think that's the point of arguing that white privilege exists.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 6:09:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 3:55:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
What a racist concept. White Privileged.

I have NEVER had anything given to me, or opportunities opened up to me, or standards lowered because of the color of my skin. That is a lot more than some can say.

Next to the color of skin. In my service to this country I have seen my parts of my skin turn yellow, green, purple, blue, red, and brown.

I've seen my own blood and the blood of others more often than most. Nothing surprising there it was all red.

Seems to me the most Racist people out there, are the "progressive" "liberal" and "left" who want to create a race war with this kind of demonizing junk.

The privilege concept is supposed to give everyone pause when considering the lives and positions of others. As an example of white privilege, us white folks in the US grew up seeing people who looked like us fully represented in media. It wasn't until fairly recently that minorities were represented in media as anything other than caricatures and stereotypes. So while we grew up seeing white people in every form of employment, economic state, and educational environment, a lot of minorities saw themselves on TV primarily as criminals, at lower levels of education, and often poor. The occasional successful and rich person of color was usually treated as an anomaly. This led to whites feeling included in society and minorities feeling excluded.

So that's just one example. Every time you've been around the police without feeling anxiety, that's white privilege. Knowing you could go into any store without being eyeballed more than anyone else is white privilege.

To reiterate, the concept of privilege is not intended to demean or shame the privileged. It's supposed to remind us that parts of our lives are different, and in many ways easier, than those of others. It's a call for empathy rather than derision.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 6:19:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The problem with privilege theory is that it isn't drawn from an orhanic, bottom-up evaluation of the US. Rather, it comes from a decree by liberal academics.

If white privilege is so real, why is Appalachia the poorest area of the US? They certainly aren't privileged. In fact, their only real industry - coal - is under constant assault from urban, affluent liberals. They lack wealth or power.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 7:47:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 4:05:19 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I never benefitted from white privilege; therefore, it doesn't exist.

Even if that were true, that's not exactly sound logic.

It is sound logic. The claim is that every single white person benefits from white privilege, so if that claim is proven untrue, it disproves white privilege.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 7:57:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:09:52 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 7/12/2015 3:55:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
What a racist concept. White Privileged.

I have NEVER had anything given to me, or opportunities opened up to me, or standards lowered because of the color of my skin. That is a lot more than some can say.

Next to the color of skin. In my service to this country I have seen my parts of my skin turn yellow, green, purple, blue, red, and brown.

I've seen my own blood and the blood of others more often than most. Nothing surprising there it was all red.

Seems to me the most Racist people out there, are the "progressive" "liberal" and "left" who want to create a race war with this kind of demonizing junk.

The privilege concept is supposed to give everyone pause when considering the lives and positions of others. As an example of white privilege, us white folks in the US grew up seeing people who looked like us fully represented in media.

Part of being the majority is that you mostly see the majority in the media and poli all office, duh. And the fact is that blacks are over represented in the media.

It wasn't until fairly recently that minorities were represented in media as anything other than caricatures and stereotypes.

After about the 1950s, these stereotypes largely disappeared. You don't really see the Jeffersons painted as these stereotypes, or 100 other examples.

So while we grew up seeing white people in every form of employment, economic state, and educational environment, a lot of minorities saw themselves on TV primarily as criminals, at lower levels of education, and often poor.

Nope, that's not how Minorities were painted in the media. Seeing white people everywhere, again is just a symptom of being the majority.

The occasional successful and rich person of color was usually treated as an anomaly. This led to whites feeling included in society and minorities feeling excluded.

That's a stupid reason to feel oppressed and succesful blacks weren't treated as an anomaly.

So that's just one example. Every time you've been around the police without feeling anxiety, that's white privilege. Knowing you could go into any store without being eyeballed more than anyone else is white privilege.

Again, you're the one stereotyping. People who dress like thugs get eyeballed in stores, because people that dress like idiots are more likely to steal, if blacks disproportionately dress like idiots, they'll be eyeballed more, nothing racist against that. Having anxiety around police is something that is internal and not an external factor. If they percieve racism that doesn't exist, there's not much anyone can do about it.

To reiterate, the concept of privilege is not intended to demean or shame the privileged. It's supposed to remind us that parts of our lives are different, and in many ways easier, than those of others. It's a call for empathy rather than derision.

Whites should feel sorry for blacks in other words, because feeling sorry for people means you're more likely to treat them as an equal. I disagree with that premise, but cool beans.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 8:41:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 7:57:13 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:09:52 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 7/12/2015 3:55:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
What a racist concept. White Privileged.

I have NEVER had anything given to me, or opportunities opened up to me, or standards lowered because of the color of my skin. That is a lot more than some can say.

Next to the color of skin. In my service to this country I have seen my parts of my skin turn yellow, green, purple, blue, red, and brown.

I've seen my own blood and the blood of others more often than most. Nothing surprising there it was all red.

Seems to me the most Racist people out there, are the "progressive" "liberal" and "left" who want to create a race war with this kind of demonizing junk.

The privilege concept is supposed to give everyone pause when considering the lives and positions of others. As an example of white privilege, us white folks in the US grew up seeing people who looked like us fully represented in media.

Part of being the majority is that you mostly see the majority in the media and poli all office, duh.

Yes, being in the majority is generally a privileged position.

And the fact is that blacks are over represented in the media.

Maybe recently, but that certainly wasn't the case prior to the turn of the millennium.

It wasn't until fairly recently that minorities were represented in media as anything other than caricatures and stereotypes.

After about the 1950s, these stereotypes largely disappeared. You don't really see the Jeffersons painted as these stereotypes, or 100 other examples.

100 counter examples don't make the thousands of stereotypes disappear. The change started with the Jeffersons, it didn't end with them.

So while we grew up seeing white people in every form of employment, economic state, and educational environment, a lot of minorities saw themselves on TV primarily as criminals, at lower levels of education, and often poor.

Nope, that's not how Minorities were painted in the media. Seeing white people everywhere, again is just a symptom of being the majority.

Crime, poverty, and ignorance were overwhelmingly portrayed with minorities, with far fewer examples of successful and educated non-whites. Again, it doesn't matter if it's a symptom of being the majority or not, it's still an example of privilege.

The occasional successful and rich person of color was usually treated as an anomaly. This led to whites feeling included in society and minorities feeling excluded.

That's a stupid reason to feel oppressed and succesful blacks weren't treated as an anomaly.

This isn't about oppression. It's about empathy and understanding where others come from. It's about recognizing the environmental factors that may have made aspects of one person's life easier or more difficult compared to another.

And, yes, successful minorities were often treated as the exception, up until the late 80s. As I indicated above, the handful of counterexamples you can think of don't change the reality of media at the time.

So that's just one example. Every time you've been around the police without feeling anxiety, that's white privilege. Knowing you could go into any store without being eyeballed more than anyone else is white privilege.

Again, you're the one stereotyping. People who dress like thugs get eyeballed in stores, because people that dress like idiots are more likely to steal, if blacks disproportionately dress like idiots, they'll be eyeballed more, nothing racist against that. Having anxiety around police is something that is internal and not an external factor. If they percieve racism that doesn't exist, there's not much anyone can do about it.

It doesn't come from perception. It comes from a history of harassment of minorities. I'm not sure I can even continue to have a conversation about this with someone so ignorant on the topic.

To reiterate, the concept of privilege is not intended to demean or shame the privileged. It's supposed to remind us that parts of our lives are different, and in many ways easier, than those of others. It's a call for empathy rather than derision.

Whites should feel sorry for blacks in other words, because feeling sorry for people means you're more likely to treat them as an equal. I disagree with that premise, but cool beans.

No, that's not what I said. Frankly, your apparent inability to understand my plain text doesn't give me hope for any future responses you might have. If you can't understand the difference between empathy and pity, how could anyone possibly expect you to understand the subject of this thread?
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 8:49:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 8:41:47 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 7/13/2015 7:57:13 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:09:52 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 7/12/2015 3:55:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
What a racist concept. White Privileged.

I have NEVER had anything given to me, or opportunities opened up to me, or standards lowered because of the color of my skin. That is a lot more than some can say.

Next to the color of skin. In my service to this country I have seen my parts of my skin turn yellow, green, purple, blue, red, and brown.

I've seen my own blood and the blood of others more often than most. Nothing surprising there it was all red.

Seems to me the most Racist people out there, are the "progressive" "liberal" and "left" who want to create a race war with this kind of demonizing junk.

The privilege concept is supposed to give everyone pause when considering the lives and positions of others. As an example of white privilege, us white folks in the US grew up seeing people who looked like us fully represented in media.

Part of being the majority is that you mostly see the majority in the media and poli all office, duh.

Yes, being in the majority is generally a privileged position.

And the fact is that blacks are over represented in the media.

Maybe recently, but that certainly wasn't the case prior to the turn of the millennium.

It wasn't until fairly recently that minorities were represented in media as anything other than caricatures and stereotypes.

After about the 1950s, these stereotypes largely disappeared. You don't really see the Jeffersons painted as these stereotypes, or 100 other examples.

100 counter examples don't make the thousands of stereotypes disappear. The change started with the Jeffersons, it didn't end with them.

So while we grew up seeing white people in every form of employment, economic state, and educational environment, a lot of minorities saw themselves on TV primarily as criminals, at lower levels of education, and often poor.

Nope, that's not how Minorities were painted in the media. Seeing white people everywhere, again is just a symptom of being the majority.

Crime, poverty, and ignorance were overwhelmingly portrayed with minorities, with far fewer examples of successful and educated non-whites. Again, it doesn't matter if it's a symptom of being the majority or not, it's still an example of privilege.

The occasional successful and rich person of color was usually treated as an anomaly. This led to whites feeling included in society and minorities feeling excluded.

That's a stupid reason to feel oppressed and succesful blacks weren't treated as an anomaly.

This isn't about oppression. It's about empathy and understanding where others come from. It's about recognizing the environmental factors that may have made aspects of one person's life easier or more difficult compared to another.

And, yes, successful minorities were often treated as the exception, up until the late 80s. As I indicated above, the handful of counterexamples you can think of don't change the reality of media at the time.

So that's just one example. Every time you've been around the police without feeling anxiety, that's white privilege. Knowing you could go into any store without being eyeballed more than anyone else is white privilege.

Again, you're the one stereotyping. People who dress like thugs get eyeballed in stores, because people that dress like idiots are more likely to steal, if blacks disproportionately dress like idiots, they'll be eyeballed more, nothing racist against that. Having anxiety around police is something that is internal and not an external factor. If they percieve racism that doesn't exist, there's not much anyone can do about it.

It doesn't come from perception. It comes from a history of harassment of minorities. I'm not sure I can even continue to have a conversation about this with someone so ignorant on the topic.

To reiterate, the concept of privilege is not intended to demean or shame the privileged. It's supposed to remind us that parts of our lives are different, and in many ways easier, than those of others. It's a call for empathy rather than derision.

Whites should feel sorry for blacks in other words, because feeling sorry for people means you're more likely to treat them as an equal. I disagree with that premise, but cool beans.

No, that's not what I said. Frankly, your apparent inability to understand my plain text doesn't give me hope for any future responses you might have. If you can't understand the difference between empathy and pity, how could anyone possibly expect you to understand the subject of this thread?

It's not what you said, but it's what you meant. You're lying about the media, plain and simple, I challenge you to provide hard evidence of a racist media which portrayed blacks negatively more often than don't in the 1960s or afterword.

No, the effects of being in the majority are not examples of white privilege. Flesh colored band aids being white colored isn't an example of white privilege. Quite frankly, you don't actually understand what white privilege is, if you think the effects of being the majority is what it refers to. It's more of a referance to an unfair advantage that whites hold, not merely an advantage of being the majority such as media and advertisers being more interested in catering to you, but a referance to the assumed superiority of whites and unfair advantages associated with that. I understand it's nuanced, but you should really take the Time to understand how white privilege is defined, before discussing it.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 9:02:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 3:55:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
What a racist concept. White Privileged.

I have NEVER had anything given to me, or opportunities opened up to me, or standards lowered because of the color of my skin. That is a lot more than some can say.

Next to the color of skin. In my service to this country I have seen my parts of my skin turn yellow, green, purple, blue, red, and brown.

I've seen my own blood and the blood of others more often than most. Nothing surprising there it was all red.

Seems to me the most Racist people out there, are the "progressive" "liberal" and "left" who want to create a race war with this kind of demonizing junk.

I get the concept of white privilege and understand why people feel that way but I don't agree with it. I know white people to shouldn't be held accountable for what this of the past have done. We play the cards we are given.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 10:11:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 9:02:45 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 7/12/2015 3:55:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
What a racist concept. White Privileged.

I have NEVER had anything given to me, or opportunities opened up to me, or standards lowered because of the color of my skin. That is a lot more than some can say.

Next to the color of skin. In my service to this country I have seen my parts of my skin turn yellow, green, purple, blue, red, and brown.

I've seen my own blood and the blood of others more often than most. Nothing surprising there it was all red.

Seems to me the most Racist people out there, are the "progressive" "liberal" and "left" who want to create a race war with this kind of demonizing junk.

I get the concept of white privilege and understand why people feel that way but I don't agree with it. I know white people to shouldn't be held accountable for what this of the past have done. We play the cards we are given.

Thanks Df. exactly we play the cards we are given. Maybe I take offense to it becuase I have been in places where "white" was the minority and some families were quite racist against them.

I was seeing this Guam woman for lunch and dinners. After a few weeks I asked if she wanted me to meet her parents. And then came the whole "It's not you..." "traditional family" ect..

So when I see the liberal media trying to feed strive and separation I get quite upset. Mostly it breaks my heart.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 12:53:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 8:49:49 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/13/2015 8:41:47 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 7/13/2015 7:57:13 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:09:52 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 7/12/2015 3:55:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
What a racist concept. White Privileged.

I have NEVER had anything given to me, or opportunities opened up to me, or standards lowered because of the color of my skin. That is a lot more than some can say.

Next to the color of skin. In my service to this country I have seen my parts of my skin turn yellow, green, purple, blue, red, and brown.

I've seen my own blood and the blood of others more often than most. Nothing surprising there it was all red.

Seems to me the most Racist people out there, are the "progressive" "liberal" and "left" who want to create a race war with this kind of demonizing junk.

The privilege concept is supposed to give everyone pause when considering the lives and positions of others. As an example of white privilege, us white folks in the US grew up seeing people who looked like us fully represented in media.

Part of being the majority is that you mostly see the majority in the media and poli all office, duh.

Yes, being in the majority is generally a privileged position.

And the fact is that blacks are over represented in the media.

Maybe recently, but that certainly wasn't the case prior to the turn of the millennium.

It wasn't until fairly recently that minorities were represented in media as anything other than caricatures and stereotypes.

After about the 1950s, these stereotypes largely disappeared. You don't really see the Jeffersons painted as these stereotypes, or 100 other examples.

100 counter examples don't make the thousands of stereotypes disappear. The change started with the Jeffersons, it didn't end with them.

So while we grew up seeing white people in every form of employment, economic state, and educational environment, a lot of minorities saw themselves on TV primarily as criminals, at lower levels of education, and often poor.

Nope, that's not how Minorities were painted in the media. Seeing white people everywhere, again is just a symptom of being the majority.

Crime, poverty, and ignorance were overwhelmingly portrayed with minorities, with far fewer examples of successful and educated non-whites. Again, it doesn't matter if it's a symptom of being the majority or not, it's still an example of privilege.

The occasional successful and rich person of color was usually treated as an anomaly. This led to whites feeling included in society and minorities feeling excluded.

That's a stupid reason to feel oppressed and succesful blacks weren't treated as an anomaly.

This isn't about oppression. It's about empathy and understanding where others come from. It's about recognizing the environmental factors that may have made aspects of one person's life easier or more difficult compared to another.

And, yes, successful minorities were often treated as the exception, up until the late 80s. As I indicated above, the handful of counterexamples you can think of don't change the reality of media at the time.

So that's just one example. Every time you've been around the police without feeling anxiety, that's white privilege. Knowing you could go into any store without being eyeballed more than anyone else is white privilege.

Again, you're the one stereotyping. People who dress like thugs get eyeballed in stores, because people that dress like idiots are more likely to steal, if blacks disproportionately dress like idiots, they'll be eyeballed more, nothing racist against that. Having anxiety around police is something that is internal and not an external factor. If they percieve racism that doesn't exist, there's not much anyone can do about it.

It doesn't come from perception. It comes from a history of harassment of minorities. I'm not sure I can even continue to have a conversation about this with someone so ignorant on the topic.

To reiterate, the concept of privilege is not intended to demean or shame the privileged. It's supposed to remind us that parts of our lives are different, and in many ways easier, than those of others. It's a call for empathy rather than derision.

Whites should feel sorry for blacks in other words, because feeling sorry for people means you're more likely to treat them as an equal. I disagree with that premise, but cool beans.

No, that's not what I said. Frankly, your apparent inability to understand my plain text doesn't give me hope for any future responses you might have. If you can't understand the difference between empathy and pity, how could anyone possibly expect you to understand the subject of this thread?

It's not what you said, but it's what you meant.

Oh, you're psychic now? Awesome. How many fingers am I holding up?

You're lying about the media, plain and simple, I challenge you to provide hard evidence of a racist media which portrayed blacks negatively more often than don't in the 1960s or afterword.

Provide hard evidence for something I never said existed? Sure, I'll get right on that. I can provide evidence of a largely oblivious media that catered to their predominantly white audience from the '60s onward, which is what I was actually talking about. Tell me what you'll accept as evidence, and, assuming it's reasonable, I'll get it for you.

No, the effects of being in the majority are not examples of white privilege. Flesh colored band aids being white colored isn't an example of white privilege. Quite frankly, you don't actually understand what white privilege is, if you think the effects of being the majority is what it refers to. It's more of a referance to an unfair advantage that whites hold, not merely an advantage of being the majority such as media and advertisers being more interested in catering to you, but a referance to the assumed superiority of whites and unfair advantages associated with that. I understand it's nuanced, but you should really take the Time to understand how white privilege is defined, before discussing it.

This is laughable. You can't even seem to parse my posts, and you're trying to chastise me as if I don't understand the topic. You can't tell the difference between empathy and pity. You can't tell the difference between racism and simple ignorance. And you have a wonderful strawman of white privilege that you're trying to foist on this thread. Please, take your own advice on this one.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 2:27:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 10:11:45 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/13/2015 9:02:45 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 7/12/2015 3:55:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
What a racist concept. White Privileged.

I have NEVER had anything given to me, or opportunities opened up to me, or standards lowered because of the color of my skin. That is a lot more than some can say.

Next to the color of skin. In my service to this country I have seen my parts of my skin turn yellow, green, purple, blue, red, and brown.

I've seen my own blood and the blood of others more often than most. Nothing surprising there it was all red.

Seems to me the most Racist people out there, are the "progressive" "liberal" and "left" who want to create a race war with this kind of demonizing junk.

I get the concept of white privilege and understand why people feel that way but I don't agree with it. I know white people to shouldn't be held accountable for what this of the past have done. We play the cards we are given.

Thanks Df. exactly we play the cards we are given. Maybe I take offense to it becuase I have been in places where "white" was the minority and some families were quite racist against them.

I was seeing this Guam woman for lunch and dinners. After a few weeks I asked if she wanted me to meet her parents. And then came the whole "It's not you..." "traditional family" ect..

So when I see the liberal media trying to feed strive and separation I get quite upset. Mostly it breaks my heart.

Yea well you really think theres a right side here? Liberal conservative, they both have agendas and exremeist, lobbist, and news stations. I wouldn't say they are going as far as you say they are tho.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 11:11:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:19:13 PM, TN05 wrote:
The problem with privilege theory is that it isn't drawn from an orhanic, bottom-up evaluation of the US. Rather, it comes from a decree by liberal academics.


No, actually it's drawn from the experiences of countless of non-white people looking at the differences between the way they are treated and the way white people are treated.

If white privilege is so real, why is Appalachia the poorest area of the US? They certainly aren't privileged. In fact, their only real industry - coal - is under constant assault from urban, affluent liberals. They lack wealth or power.

It's called intersectionality, bro. You can be privileged in some ways, but not in others. And white privilege is less about including all white people and more about excluding all non-white people. There's a difference.

http://thoughtcatalog.com...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 11:22:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/14/2015 11:11:26 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:19:13 PM, TN05 wrote:
The problem with privilege theory is that it isn't drawn from an orhanic, bottom-up evaluation of the US. Rather, it comes from a decree by liberal academics.

No, actually it's drawn from the experiences of countless of non-white people looking at the differences between the way they are treated and the way white people are treated.

So it's all based on feelings and emotion, not concrete fact. That's a great way to decide things!

If white privilege is so real, why is Appalachia the poorest area of the US? They certainly aren't privileged. In fact, their only real industry - coal - is under constant assault from urban, affluent liberals. They lack wealth or power.

It's called intersectionality, bro. You can be privileged in some ways, but not in others. And white privilege is less about including all white people and more about excluding all non-white people. There's a difference.

http://thoughtcatalog.com...

Go tell that to someone living in Appalachia.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 12:21:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/14/2015 11:22:52 AM, TN05 wrote:
At 7/14/2015 11:11:26 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:19:13 PM, TN05 wrote:
The problem with privilege theory is that it isn't drawn from an orhanic, bottom-up evaluation of the US. Rather, it comes from a decree by liberal academics.

No, actually it's drawn from the experiences of countless of non-white people looking at the differences between the way they are treated and the way white people are treated.

So it's all based on feelings and emotion, not concrete fact. That's a great way to decide things!


*facepalm* You must be playing at being dense. I refuse to believe you actually are this dense.

It's draw from empirical observations which is then systemized into a body of thought. Y'know. Just like ANY system of philosophical thought.

Ex: "Hey seems to me like it's pretty messed up torture a baby or an entire people group for fun. I wouldn't do that; in fact I don't think anyone SHOULD do that."
Body of thought: "Some actions are morally impermissible."

And it's also backed up by reams of facts from disparites in the judicial system, to health sectors, to the job sector, to the educational sector.
The data is then made sense of by the body of thought.

That's what happens in any realm of human thought. Observations are made, theory is brought in to make sense of the observation and interpret it.

If white privilege is so real, why is Appalachia the poorest area of the US? They certainly aren't privileged. In fact, their only real industry - coal - is under constant assault from urban, affluent liberals. They lack wealth or power.

It's called intersectionality, bro. You can be privileged in some ways, but not in others. And white privilege is less about including all white people and more about excluding all non-white people. There's a difference.

http://thoughtcatalog.com...

Go tell that to someone living in Appalachia.

I would if I lived there. I've explained this to poor white people before and some even agreed. Given two communities (one white and one-nonwhite) with roughly equally levels of poverty distribution the non-white community is going to come out the worse.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 12:26:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/14/2015 12:21:58 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/14/2015 11:22:52 AM, TN05 wrote:
At 7/14/2015 11:11:26 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:19:13 PM, TN05 wrote:
The problem with privilege theory is that it isn't drawn from an orhanic, bottom-up evaluation of the US. Rather, it comes from a decree by liberal academics.

No, actually it's drawn from the experiences of countless of non-white people looking at the differences between the way they are treated and the way white people are treated.

So it's all based on feelings and emotion, not concrete fact. That's a great way to decide things!


*facepalm* You must be playing at being dense. I refuse to believe you actually are this dense.

It's draw from empirical observations which is then systemized into a body of thought. Y'know. Just like ANY system of philosophical thought.

Ex: "Hey seems to me like it's pretty messed up torture a baby or an entire people group for fun. I wouldn't do that; in fact I don't think anyone SHOULD do that."
Body of thought: "Some actions are morally impermissible."

And it's also backed up by reams of facts from disparites in the judicial system, to health sectors, to the job sector, to the educational sector.
The data is then made sense of by the body of thought.

That's what happens in any realm of human thought. Observations are made, theory is brought in to make sense of the observation and interpret it.

LOL. That's not how feminist academia or study works. They start from a conclusion (feminism) and then work backwards to try and justify it.

If white privilege is so real, why is Appalachia the poorest area of the US? They certainly aren't privileged. In fact, their only real industry - coal - is under constant assault from urban, affluent liberals. They lack wealth or power.

It's called intersectionality, bro. You can be privileged in some ways, but not in others. And white privilege is less about including all white people and more about excluding all non-white people. There's a difference.

http://thoughtcatalog.com...

Go tell that to someone living in Appalachia.

I would if I lived there. I've explained this to poor white people before and some even agreed. Given two communities (one white and one-nonwhite) with roughly equally levels of poverty distribution the non-white community is going to come out the worse.

Go tell that to Appalachia. It's worse than any inner city area.
AFism
Posts: 1,030
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 4:38:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It functions in our society, American society, and other colonized societies, its the same concept as this; The history is told by the victor. European countries colonized and conquered a lot of people, and have some amount of privilege in their countries against the brown people they stole or colonized because their ancestors carved a way from them from their rampant nationalism. Thats what white privilege is. The privileges and benefits that you get from that colonization, and social reform that european nationalists brought about in this world. The hugest example is obviously America.

Now please stop bring up appalachia. The context obviously falls apart in "3rd word" areas that are already poverty stricken, etc. anyway, which is why you only hear the term in america, Africa, England Australia, etc. Anywhere where there were already an original brown people settled their and europeans came to colonize it. It is a westernized state of thinking also so there is that.

And no it doesn't mean because white privilege and patriarchy exists that all black people will fail.

It does mean that minorities in places like America will have a harder time due to how this system is governed, and who the 1% is (rich white males (maybe jewish) can't argue with that, if there is a black woman up there calling all the shots please let me know but i HIGHLY doubt it.)

So no its not some crazy inferiority complex and paranoia in america. It's just how it is and how this country was founded unfortunately, For white settlers that wanted to freely practice etc. by white settlers.

So yeah, op, really? Cut the reverse racism stuff because it doesn't exist.
AFism
Posts: 1,030
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 4:40:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
How about we start advocating for treating people like humans regardless of creed class or color instead of saying you are color blind also? That concept is quite offensive and dare i say prejudice, when on the surface it seems harmless to say in america.
AFism
Posts: 1,030
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 4:43:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Ha had a brain fart for the appalachian mountain thing. They would also have some form of privilege in american if they came down from a mountain, put on a suit and walked down the street. Guarantee you no one would stop and frisk them :)
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 5:20:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
White privilege. PFFF I've never seen any of it. What's with all these black people in my town making bookoo bucks. Black privilege is more like it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 6:03:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/14/2015 5:20:12 PM, sadolite wrote:
White privilege. PFFF I've never seen any of it. What's with all these black people in my town making bookoo bucks. Black privilege is more like it.

Yeah black privilege like getting a record deal for rapping, honestly do you think rappin is genetically tied to skin color? No, then disproportionate white rappers.

Or getting a government.

But come to think of it I did have one moment of white privledge. A party was being thrown for this small business and all thier customers. It was sweet free food and drinks, dj, dance floor, lights whole deal.

They also had unmarked police cars and two city officers frisking and wanding at the door.

When I came in I assumed the position but becuase I was the only (no seriously I was the only one, the ladies checking tickets said so) white guy in a place of like 400 black people the 2 black cops waved me on in without doing anything.

Who knows what I could have hidden in my skinny jeans or under my nice pearl snap shirt?
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 6:19:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/14/2015 2:27:32 AM, Df0512 wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:11:45 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/13/2015 9:02:45 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 7/12/2015 3:55:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
What a racist concept. White Privileged.

I have NEVER had anything given to me, or opportunities opened up to me, or standards lowered because of the color of my skin. That is a lot more than some can say.

Next to the color of skin. In my service to this country I have seen my parts of my skin turn yellow, green, purple, blue, red, and brown.

I've seen my own blood and the blood of others more often than most. Nothing surprising there it was all red.

Seems to me the most Racist people out there, are the "progressive" "liberal" and "left" who want to create a race war with this kind of demonizing junk.

I get the concept of white privilege and understand why people feel that way but I don't agree with it. I know white people to shouldn't be held accountable for what this of the past have done. We play the cards we are given.

Thanks Df. exactly we play the cards we are given. Maybe I take offense to it becuase I have been in places where "white" was the minority and some families were quite racist against them.

I was seeing this Guam woman for lunch and dinners. After a few weeks I asked if she wanted me to meet her parents. And then came the whole "It's not you..." "traditional family" ect..

So when I see the liberal media trying to feed strive and separation I get quite upset. Mostly it breaks my heart.

Yea well you really think theres a right side here? Liberal conservative, they both have agendas and exremeist, lobbist, and news stations. I wouldn't say they are going as far as you say they are tho.

Well DF I think the extremes do exaggerate. But I do think the more moderate liberals, the kind you find in everyday people swallow some of these ideas like microaggression and such.

As for supporting the statement I made about progressive leaders pushing for a race war.

They bussed in protesters and sold them int he media as if they were local people outraged about a police shooting. And when the facts come out the "Gentle Giant" wasn't gentle at all.

They fed a flame when other incidents happened. And hired protesters. I think that is dishonest, it should have came with a disclaimers "the following are paid actors"

What they want was what happened in Charleston. A completely misguided young man with the intent to start a race war.

And I praise God, that the only reason why the liberal agenda was setback in it's steamrolling job was because the real people, paid actors, of Charleston sang Gospel music, spoke of forgiveness, and shared Love and not Molotov cocktails to their neighbors.

If it was not for those people, this ship would be sailing full steam ahead.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 6:56:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/14/2015 12:26:55 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 7/14/2015 12:21:58 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/14/2015 11:22:52 AM, TN05 wrote:
At 7/14/2015 11:11:26 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:19:13 PM, TN05 wrote:
The problem with privilege theory is that it isn't drawn from an orhanic, bottom-up evaluation of the US. Rather, it comes from a decree by liberal academics.

No, actually it's drawn from the experiences of countless of non-white people looking at the differences between the way they are treated and the way white people are treated.

So it's all based on feelings and emotion, not concrete fact. That's a great way to decide things!


*facepalm* You must be playing at being dense. I refuse to believe you actually are this dense.

It's draw from empirical observations which is then systemized into a body of thought. Y'know. Just like ANY system of philosophical thought.

Ex: "Hey seems to me like it's pretty messed up torture a baby or an entire people group for fun. I wouldn't do that; in fact I don't think anyone SHOULD do that."
Body of thought: "Some actions are morally impermissible."

And it's also backed up by reams of facts from disparites in the judicial system, to health sectors, to the job sector, to the educational sector.
The data is then made sense of by the body of thought.

That's what happens in any realm of human thought. Observations are made, theory is brought in to make sense of the observation and interpret it.

LOL. That's not how feminist academia or study works. They start from a conclusion (feminism) and then work backwards to try and justify it.


Actually it is. Are you going to provide any cogent arguments?

If white privilege is so real, why is Appalachia the poorest area of the US? They certainly aren't privileged. In fact, their only real industry - coal - is under constant assault from urban, affluent liberals. They lack wealth or power.

It's called intersectionality, bro. You can be privileged in some ways, but not in others. And white privilege is less about including all white people and more about excluding all non-white people. There's a difference.

http://thoughtcatalog.com...

Go tell that to someone living in Appalachia.

I would if I lived there. I've explained this to poor white people before and some even agreed. Given two communities (one white and one-nonwhite) with roughly equally levels of poverty distribution the non-white community is going to come out the worse.

Go tell that to Appalachia. It's worse than any inner city area.

What does "go tell that to appalachia" have to do with me being correct or not?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!