Jump to topic:

Min. Wage Substitute Proposal

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 8:45:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I propose that in emergency situations where the Federal Government is low on cash they take abandoned buildings and do some basic renovation on them. This way, the houses are livable.
Then, employees for the Feds who make minimum wage (or something close to that) would work for a different kind of payment. Under this arrangement, they are given shelter in these housing units. Each day they'd be allotted shower privileges (one a day, ten minutes per person), a set amount of food and drinking water, and a few miscellaneous services (such as toilets, kitchen sinks, lighting, microwaves, maybe some limited air conditioning and heating, etc). These semi-renovated homes would be shared by numerous people/families. There would be government overseers at the homes to keep order, maintain efficiency, and prevent waste of resources. People would perhaps sleep on the floor or take turns sleeping on the couches; pillows and blankets would be provided.
Of course, each employees would also receive a small amount of money for every hour worked (below minimum wage, of course; perhaps 1 dollar an hour?).

This proposal could be carried out during, say, wartime, when the cash-strapped US Government can't afford to pay all its employees 10 dollars an hour.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 9:32:54 PM
The reason for this is rather simple: the cost of living has gone up, and some people say that the minimum wage doesn't cover the basic costs of living. Well, this would negate this problem for the employees in question. The government would have more money to spend.
This is a more efficient system because you'd have about 15 people or so sharing a house the size of a house/apartment that a typical married couple would have to themselves (until the kids came along), and strict rationing of food, water, electricity, and the likes would obviously conserve resources. This may ultimately be cheaper for the government than paying their employees 10 dollars an hour. This obviously is not a system that people would submit to under normal circumstances, but in an emergency...eh.

The DDO Blog:

JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 8:12:02 AM
In an emergency situation I'd rather see them lay off non-essential personnel, and cut non-essential services before implementing a program like you described.

In such times, I would expect the government to suspend mortgage payments enabling citizens to keep their homes until the crisis was over.

There are better ways to make the most of your cash. Even in an emergency.

This working for board situation reminds me of those old coal towns where you were paid in company currency, rented your home from the company, bought your food from the company etc. I have no desire to set up that kind of system in my country. Even in an emergency.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 12:16:38 PM
At 7/17/2015 8:45:10 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I propose that in emergency situations where the Federal Government is low on cash they take abandoned buildings and do some basic renovation on them. This way, the houses are livable.
Then, employees for the Feds who make minimum wage (or something close to that) would work for a different kind of payment. Under this arrangement, they are given shelter in these housing units. Each day they'd be allotted shower privileges (one a day, ten minutes per person), a set amount of food and drinking water, and a few miscellaneous services (such as toilets, kitchen sinks, lighting, microwaves, maybe some limited air conditioning and heating, etc). These semi-renovated homes would be shared by numerous people/families. There would be government overseers at the homes to keep order, maintain efficiency, and prevent waste of resources. People would perhaps sleep on the floor or take turns sleeping on the couches; pillows and blankets would be provided.
Of course, each employees would also receive a small amount of money for every hour worked (below minimum wage, of course; perhaps 1 dollar an hour?).

This proposal could be carried out during, say, wartime, when the cash-strapped US Government can't afford to pay all its employees 10 dollars an hour.

Sounds like prison, in which inmates get paid.

Or, welfare sans liberties.

Viable, sure, but doesn't sound like it would fly, homie.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 2:37:47 PM
At 7/20/2015 12:16:38 PM, Such wrote:

Sounds like prison, in which inmates get paid.

Or, welfare sans liberties.

Viable, sure, but doesn't sound like it would fly, homie.

This would be how most Federal employees would be paid during that emergency situation. It wouldn't be welfare, and it wouldn't be like prison.
People wouldn't like it, and that's why it's for emergencies only (such as WW3).

The DDO Blog:

Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 3:25:39 PM

In emergency situations I rob a bank.
Gmork
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 3:28:34 PM

Why is the federal government ever low on cash? They would just print more. Plus, if there is this emergency situation, where would they get the money to renovate these buildings?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 3:49:46 PM
At 7/21/2015 3:28:34 PM, Gmork wrote:

Why is the federal government ever low on cash? They would just print more. Plus, if there is this emergency situation, where would they get the money to renovate these buildings?

Money would still be spent in any case. That's inevitable. However, it'd be less money spent. Renovating a mildly rundown building that hasn't been inhabited by people in 5 or even 10 years is generally a cheaper than building a house from scratch. Any house or building that has been abandoned by its owner(s) should be considered a possible target for seizure.
If the Government just "printed more cash" that'd just devalue the currency.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 3:54:55 PM
At 7/21/2015 3:25:39 PM, Otokage wrote:

The majority of people robbing other people would do nothing to increase society's wealth or to conserve resources in time of war. If anything, such looting would be a violent process that would damage buildings, windows, and people.

The DDO Blog:

Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 4:02:11 PM
At 7/21/2015 3:54:55 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

The majority of people robbing other people would do nothing to increase society's wealth or to conserve resources in time of war. If anything, such looting would be a violent process that would damage buildings, windows, and people.

On the contrary, robbing banks is probably the fastest way to ensure money won't leave the country! At an emergency situation, citizens, especially rich citizens, will often try to leave the country with all their money to a country that is in a more stable situation.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 4:03:45 PM
At 7/21/2015 4:02:11 PM, Otokage wrote:

On the contrary, robbing banks is probably the fastest way to ensure money won't leave the country! At an emergency situation, citizens, especially rich citizens, will often try to leave the country with all their money to a country that is in a more stable situation.

You have a good point, actually. But still: what says that you won't flee the country after you robbed the bank?

The DDO Blog:

Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 4:05:16 PM
At 7/21/2015 4:03:45 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 7/21/2015 4:02:11 PM, Otokage wrote:

You have a good point, actually. But still: what says that you won't flee the country after you robbed the bank?

Well I could, but you have to admit that leaving a country with illegaly obtained money, is sensibly more difficult than leaving a country with legal money :)
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 8:13:07 PM
Na, I say they abandon all of the National Forest lands and let us all go out there and live like Native Americans. We could take our trucks and campers and go fish and hunt, and poke sleeping bears with sticks. They'd pay us in food, of course, because we would all be on fire watch. We'd put those fires out, and we'd all get Smokey the Bear hats, cause he loves us. And then, and then...oh I can't wait...we'll have a snake and rabbit round up. We'll drive those rattlers and bunnies into the cities where little kids with spoons could wack 'em all, and little Suzy could get in on the action too. And women would fry 'em all up (oops, can't say that these days. Um, the men would put their dresses and aprons on and fry 'em up.................is everyone okay now?) And the women would roll their husband beater shirts up and spit their tobacco in the corner and say "man alive, what we got ourselves here is a shin-dig. Honey boy! Get to cookin' there in that pan as soon as I say, or I'll come over there and give that strong behind of yours a woopin."
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 10:29:39 PM
At 7/21/2015 8:13:07 PM, j50wells wrote:
Na, I say they abandon all of the National Forest lands and let us all go out there and live like Native Americans. We could take our trucks and campers and go fish and hunt, and poke sleeping bears with sticks. They'd pay us in food, of course, because we would all be on fire watch. We'd put those fires out, and we'd all get Smokey the Bear hats, cause he loves us. And then, and then...oh I can't wait...we'll have a snake and rabbit round up. We'll drive those rattlers and bunnies into the cities where little kids with spoons could wack 'em all, and little Suzy could get in on the action too. And women would fry 'em all up (oops, can't say that these days. Um, the men would put their dresses and aprons on and fry 'em up.................is everyone okay now?) And the women would roll their husband beater shirts up and spit their tobacco in the corner and say "man alive, what we got ourselves here is a shin-dig. Honey boy! Get to cookin' there in that pan as soon as I say, or I'll come over there and give that strong behind of yours a woopin."

Actually, my proposal was completely serious.

The DDO Blog: