Leadership

kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 12:31:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
‎"A great man shows his greatness by the way he treats little men"....Carlyle

I started a new book today. "How to win friends, and influence people", by Dale Carnegie. The above statement rang out to me in particular. I observe folks in leadership roles alot. I consider myself to be a leader, although I don't have some lofty title that is recognized nationwide.

I see how truly great men, and women seem to have an uncanny ability to connect with just about anyone. No matter what background they come from. Some people are innately born with leadership qualities, and there are those who are taught, and nutured into being dynamic leaders.

I am curious as to what characteristics do great leaders possess?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 1:05:14 PM
At 8/24/2010 12:31:20 PM, kelly224 wrote:

I started a new book today. "How to win friends, and influence people", by Dale Carnegie. The above statement rang out to me in particular. I observe folks in leadership roles alot. I consider myself to be a leader, although I don't have some lofty title that is recognized nationwide.

I see how truly great men, and women seem to have an uncanny ability to connect with just about anyone. No matter what background they come from. Some people are innately born with leadership qualities, and there are those who are taught, and nutured into being dynamic leaders.

When you say a great leader, do you mean someone capable of getting people to follow them, or someone capable of getting people to follow them for a decent goal.

If it's all about Charisma, a great leader will tell people what they want to hear, what vindicates them, what gives them hope.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 5:07:36 PM
At 8/24/2010 1:05:14 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

When you say a great leader, do you mean someone capable of getting people to follow them, or someone capable of getting people to follow them for a decent goal.

The latter.

If it's all about Charisma, a great leader will tell people what they want to hear, what vindicates them, what gives them hope.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 9:21:32 AM
At 8/24/2010 5:07:36 PM, kelly224 wrote:
At 8/24/2010 1:05:14 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

The latter.

Then a great leader is a person who is aware of his superiority over the man, but does not hold himself to be superior and instead humbles himself before their needs. A great leader should view his people as children who need to be cultivated into adults.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 4:10:20 PM
I read that book, Kelly, and I hated it (though I'm more mature now, so I wonder how I'd feel about it these days). From what I recall, it essentially said to just sort of appease everyone -- it was more about avoiding conflict and making yourself look better than actually being better which was my criticism of it. I have no desire to win friends by being phoney (what the book essentially promoted... at least that's how I saw it), and I much prefer to influence people by being genuine if that's possible rather than remembering to say certain things that make other people feel better but may not actually be true or sincere.

I've always embraced and flourished in leadership roles, presumably for both positive and negative reasons (i.e. a negative is that I'm bad at following directions and will slack off if I'm not held accountable which leaders often are). I think a good leader is one who respects their "subordinates" both personally and professionally, is considerate of their input, appreciative of their effort, and works the hardest of all to prove that they're worthy of the distinction of leader.
President of DDO
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 5:21:10 PM
At 8/25/2010 4:10:20 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I read that book, Kelly, and I hated it (though I'm more mature now, so I wonder how I'd feel about it these days). From what I recall, it essentially said to just sort of appease everyone -- it was more about avoiding conflict and making yourself look better than actually being better which was my criticism of it. I have no desire to win friends by being phoney (what the book essentially promoted... at least that's how I saw it), and I much prefer to influence people by being genuine if that's possible rather than remembering to say certain things that make other people feel better but may not actually be true or sincere.

I don't think it has anything to do with being phoney. We rub people the wrong way in all kinds of ways, unknowingly most of the time. You don't have to be disingenuous, but why not have some strategies you can use to communicate with other people?

I've always embraced and flourished in leadership roles, presumably for both positive and negative reasons (i.e. a negative is that I'm bad at following directions and will slack off if I'm not held accountable which leaders often are). I think a good leader is one who respects their "subordinates" both personally and professionally, is considerate of their input, appreciative of their effort, and works the hardest of all to prove that they're worthy of the distinction of leader.

This is a great take on things. Everyone has character flaws, that's one of the points I was trying to convey in the passage above, and sometimes we need help from proven methods to give us better oppourtunities.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 2:39:06 PM
I am curious as to what characteristics do great leaders possess?:

In no particular order:

1. Charisma
2. Oratory skills
3. Accommodating spirit
4. Confidence
5. Graciousness
6. Praises instead of fault-finding
7. Motivates

There's a lot more qualities, but basically somebody who can inspire you to perform and gives you the sense that they are the Alpha without acting it. They don't need to condescend to you for you to know they're running things
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)