Jump to topic:

Single Mothers destroyed America

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 1:32:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
More precisely the breaking apart of the family unit. Children are raised by single mothers who often don't have the energy or time to devote to raising responsible adults. These kids grow up to be hoodlums and whiny babies. Cause women don't know how to raise good men.

When evened out population wise, the U.K. has less violent crime and murders than the USA.

The USA has 5 times the population, but 17 times the number of single moms.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:17:53 AM
At 7/29/2015 1:32:47 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
More precisely the breaking apart of the family unit. Children are raised by single mothers who often don't have the energy or time to devote to raising responsible adults. These kids grow up to be hoodlums and whiny babies. Cause women don't know how to raise good men.

When evened out population wise, the U.K. has less violent crime and murders than the USA.

Hmmmmm. Look at it this way: there can't be single mothers without single fathers. At least the mothers are (for the most part) TRYING to raise the kids. Where are the fathers?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:25:06 AM
At 7/29/2015 2:17:53 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

Hmmmmm. Look at it this way: there can't be single mothers without single fathers. At least the mothers are (for the most part) TRYING to raise the kids. Where are the fathers?

Yeah, those guys were raised by single mothers. It's a downward spiral.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:26:18 AM
At 7/29/2015 2:25:06 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

All of them? I seriously doubt that.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:27:18 AM
At 7/29/2015 2:26:18 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 7/29/2015 2:25:06 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

All of them? I seriously doubt that.

No not all of them.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:32:01 AM
This is just ridiculous.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:32:59 AM
I am also willing to bet that the demographics are skewed toward poor people because the middle class and upper classes have more access to abortions.

So, the solution is birth control? Nope, can't have that. Right wing Christians won't go for that. Sex education? Nope, again, the Christian fundies.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:51:42 AM

What a great argument for abortion!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 3:03:12 AM
At 7/29/2015 2:35:53 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
OH !! I know!!!! Lets get that Palin kid to promote some more abstinence!!! Yeah!! That'll work!!!!

It really would, if people would actually abstain. Abstinence is the no. 1 most effective way to prevent teenage pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases/infections, and unwanted pregnancies in general.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 4:08:13 AM
At 7/29/2015 3:03:12 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
OH !! I know!!!! Lets get that Palin kid to promote some more abstinence!!! Yeah!! That'll work!!!!

It really would, if people would actually abstain. Abstinence is the no. 1 most effective way to prevent teenage pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases/infections, and unwanted pregnancies in general.

It sure worked with the Palin kid, didn't it!!!!!!!!
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 4:20:10 AM
At 7/29/2015 2:32:59 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I am also willing to bet that the demographics are skewed toward poor people because the middle class and upper classes have more access to abortions.

So, the solution is birth control? Nope, can't have that. Right wing Christians won't go for that. Sex education? Nope, again, the Christian fundies.

How about allowing voluntary sterilization? Instead of waiting to have 3 kids and be above the age of 30, we can get our tubes tied. But it's about harvesting the organs and selling drugs. And Big Pharmaceutical can't collect if you can't make babies.

If it was about reproductive rights why was a south Georgia woman being charged with malice murder in the death of a 5 1/2-month-old fetus she delivered after taking an abortion pill? That's some logic isn't it. Count the fetus as a person when your taking the car pool lane or extra helping of cheesecake. Take the express lane right to the abortion clinic where the fetus is not a person. So you take a couple of abortion pills to exercise your woman rights, and then get charged for murder cause the fetus is a person again.

Oh that's right because it's not about reproductive rights. Or about women's health when 68,000 women die of unsafe abortion annually, making it one of the leading causes of maternal mortality (13%). Of the women who survive unsafe abortion, 5 million will suffer long-term health complications. With 15 out of 1000 women getting an abortion ending in their death. (around 3% in the USA end in death).

40% of minors (those under 18) who get abortions have none of their parents knowing about it. Yep dirty clinics that are rarely inspected can perform elective surgeries on kids without parental consent and done on the tax payers dime.

But no. I think women are protected by the system and the are incapable of raising upstanding men. Why it takes a father.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 9:04:28 AM

Some of these problems are cultural and I'm not sure how to fix those. For example divorce has become acceptable, as well as sex before marriage and the consumerist lifestyle forces people into needing 2 incomes to support a family, which no doubt stresses the relationship more.

I believe the easier problem to fix and help curb this a little bit is to stop arresting so many people. There are certain segments of Americab society where so many individuals are locked up it has the same effects as mass migration. More single women, out of control youth, STDs etc.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 9:05:11 AM

The fathers are in prison for non violent offenses.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 9:06:53 AM
At 7/29/2015 2:32:59 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

It's kind of obvious that poor people get more abortions than wealthy people. Check your premise
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 9:08:01 AM
At 7/29/2015 4:08:13 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

It sure worked with the Palin kid, didn't it!!!!!!!!

Actually she wasn't abstinent. People who are generally don't get pregnant.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 9:40:40 AM
What about the fathers that contribute to the prevalence of single mothers? The breakdown of family unit is shared between *both* sexes.

You're forgetting that some of them may be 'left' by their partners/husbands...and all other circumstantial context. For example, I knew a mother who was 'single' because her husband got killed in a car accident. There's another one I can think of who is 'single' because her husband died of cancer.

My grandmother also became a single parent (many) years ago after losing her husband--being left on her own to raise children. Sometimes 'choice' doesn't come into it, and what you're basically doing is generalizing all single mothers and determining that they're single because of the same reasons.

And btw, I'd remind you that for a small island the U.K does indeed have A LOT of single parents.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 11:33:29 AM
At 7/29/2015 9:40:40 AM, Emilrose wrote:
What about the fathers that contribute to the prevalence of single mothers? The breakdown of family unit is shared between *both* sexes.

You're forgetting that some of them may be 'left' by their partners/husbands...and all other circumstantial context. For example, I knew a mother who was 'single' because her husband got killed in a car accident. There's another one I can think of who is 'single' because her husband died of cancer.

My grandmother also became a single parent (many) years ago after losing her husband--being left on her own to raise children. Sometimes 'choice' doesn't come into it, and what you're basically doing is generalizing all single mothers and determining that they're single because of the same reasons.

And btw, I'd remind you that for a small island the U.K does indeed have A LOT of single parents.

In the USA it's 48% of single mothers never married, massive increase. The windowing has gone down as well.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 11:48:38 AM
At 7/29/2015 11:33:29 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

In the USA it's 48% of single mothers never married, massive increase. The windowing has gone down as well.

Windowing?

Regarding working-class women being single mothers, it's attributed to society as whole. You can't really say that they've exclusively destroyed 'America' alone.

And btw, America is a continent--not a country. Unless you are referring to south America as well.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 12:20:28 PM

If in one hand and spit in the other, mix them up and what do you have? If people didn't commit crimes we would not need prisons. If children obeyed parents they would not have to discipline them. If weeds were not prolific, we would not need herbicides.......if, if, if, if, if.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 12:21:51 PM

Classic Christian misogyny. I smell a proposal to require shot gun weddings to keep these women in line.
katie.snappy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 12:45:41 PM

Agreed. You can't blame a single sex for the rise of single mothers. It takes two to make a child. The fact that the fathers aren't able to be a part of the mothers life for whatever reason is just as important (if not more important) than a mother raising a child on her own.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:46:57 PM
At 7/29/2015 11:48:38 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/29/2015 11:33:29 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Windowing?

Regarding working-class women being single mothers, it's attributed to society as whole. You can't really say that they've exclusively destroyed 'America' alone.

And btw, America is a continent--not a country. Unless you are referring to south America as well.

So instead of blaming single mothers we should blame the society that enables and supports an increase in single mothers.

Like divorce laws that demean and trample on the fathers role in raising kids.

Or the mentality single mothers have that they are super women and don't need or want a man for anything but his pay check. I think men due to laws and cultural mind sets have become easy targets for manipulation and extortion. Are you suggesting we blame the victims? The children and the men?

Yes I should have said United States of America
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:52:26 PM
At 7/29/2015 12:45:41 PM, katie.snappy wrote:

Agreed. You can't blame a single sex for the rise of single mothers. It takes two to make a child. The fact that the fathers aren't able to be a part of the mothers life for whatever reason is just as important (if not more important) than a mother raising a child on her own.

Who has more influence on this situation? The unwed mother with different babies dadies or the father?

Clearly there is sexism in the role of a father when it comes to a childs welfare. He practically has no rights. And why get married when the male commonly suffers more in a divorce.

Alimony may have made sense in the past but now both parents work leaving children to spend more hours within an indoctrination center, oops I mean school or day care
katie.snappy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 3:44:46 PM
At 7/29/2015 2:52:26 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Clearly there is sexism in the role of a father when it comes to a childs welfare. He practically has no rights. And why get married when the male commonly suffers more in a divorce.

He has just as many rights as the mother. Both a father and a mother choose whether or not to raise the child. And a man fairs far better than a woman in a divorce. His lifetime earnings increase while hers decrease due to the costs of raising a child (time off of work, childcare) (https://www.legalzoom.com...).
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 4:06:38 PM
At 7/29/2015 2:52:26 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/29/2015 12:45:41 PM, katie.snappy wrote:

Who has more influence on this situation? The unwed mother with different babies dadies or the father?

The father has control of his time. If he chooses to spend time with the children, he will. Rarely is shared custody or visitation rights withheld from the father against his will.

This is not true. If the father demands shared custody then normally he gets it depending on the circumstances. Typically men give up the 50-50 custody in favor of allowing their child to grow up in a more stable environment. You can't cry sexism over personal choices.

Alimony may have made sense in the past but now both parents work leaving children to spend more hours within an indoctrination center, oops I mean school or day care

Alimony is fair. When you marry, you enter into a binding agreement. Part of that agreement is an expected quality of life. If one partner can not maintain that quality of life without the other, then they are entitled to some compensation.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:23:47 PM

Alimony is fair. When you marry, you enter into a binding agreement. Part of that agreement is an expected quality of life. If one partner can not maintain that quality of life without the other, then they are entitled to some compensation.

That expected quality of life comes from being with the person. Asking for money (outside of non 50/50 child support) is not the partner's concern anymore, the binding agreement is dissolved; they divorced. Its not incumbent upon one party to ask another for money, they dissolved their mutual arrangements. If one part feels as though they are entitled to a different quality of life, then work for it and earn it. Otherwise, NO alimony is fair, as the person whom feels entitled to something they haven't earned is deposited right back where they started.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:31:12 PM
At 7/29/2015 5:23:47 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

That expected quality of life comes from being with the person. Asking for money (outside of non 50/50 child support) is not the partner's concern anymore, the binding agreement is dissolved; they divorced. Its not incumbent upon one party to ask another for money, they dissolved their mutual arrangements. If one part feels as though they are entitled to a different quality of life, then work for it and earn it. Otherwise, NO alimony is fair, as the person whom feels entitled to something they haven't earned is deposited right back where they started.

Its hard to speak in generalities about this because the specific details of each case are so important.

But what if one person sacrificed opportunities during the marriage that can never be regained? For example many women sacrifice their careers in order to have and take care of children. That was a sacrifice they made for the benefit of the marriage that they may not have made had they known how things would end. If the marriage ends they are left high and dry even though they took on a key role in the marriage. That isn't fair. They are certainly entitled to compensation for that.

And lets not forget that alimony goes both ways. Men who earn less than their wives are entitled to alimony if they pursue it.
plants
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:39:13 PM

This is an example of false cause. There are so many other factors that could contribute to the USA's crime rate besides the number of single moms.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:57:02 PM
At 7/29/2015 5:31:12 PM, JMcKinley wrote:
At 7/29/2015 5:23:47 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Its hard to speak in generalities about this because the specific details of each case are so important.

But what if one person sacrificed opportunities during the marriage that can never be regained? For example many women sacrifice their careers in order to have and take care of children. That was a sacrifice they made for the benefit of the marriage that they may not have made had they known how things would end. If the marriage ends they are left high and dry even though they took on a key role in the marriage. That isn't fair. They are certainly entitled to compensation for that.

In a word: no. They would be entitled to whatever marriage assets the two accomplished, potentially the earnings they could derive, and of course child support beyond 50 50. Unless you are willing to also assume the other party should be entitled to sex on a regular, house work being done, and all the other "quality of life" aspects that were enjoyed by the OTHER party, too, it becomes a null argument.

And lets not forget that alimony goes both ways. Men who earn less than their wives are entitled to alimony if they pursue it.

I wasn't looking at it from gender.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...