Total Posts:59|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Cecil the Lion Outrage

Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 3:40:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Is this a big news story where you are?
https://en.wikipedia.org...(lion)
The hunter is local, so it is a big deal here, but, I just don't care. In fact, I am quite embarrassed that there is such outrage. I am not a hunter, and I don't understand the thrill, but this outrage is ridiculous, and frankly, a bit frightening.
http://www.yelp.com...

Some choice entries: (not a single one from in-state, either)
When you go to hell, there will be a shovel. a small shovel, and THIS will be your spoon.
You will only be allowed to shovel the sh!t of those animals you've slain and That will be your only nurishment!
Shame on you!


-----

I love the power of yelp. I bet you really wish you weren't alive right now. Sucks because there will always be someone haunting you, if your own conscience isn't enough.

Hopefully you never have a patient, and that it will stop you from having an office. You don't deserve to help people, since you like hurting animals. Where did your parents go wrong? I feel bad for your kids because now they will always have to deal with your consequences.

Thank god you don't live in wa, someone would have gone after you by now. Sleep tight


-----

GREAT DENTIST. VERY PASSIONATE about inflicting pain towards his patients and wild animals. He said he has no idea Cecil was a local favorite. i mean, i don't blame him. how can anybody know anything at this day and age? I HAD NO CLUE THAT THIS GUY WAS A "LOCAL A-HOLE".

he's definitely a local favor now. so please go visit him and show him where it hurts.

Yelp, you can keep passive aggressively deleting our reviews but we all believe this is something he AT LEAST deserve. stop siding with this a-hole.


-----
And the winner....
So yelp deleted my first, second and third review so I will just keep posting it. Yelp=censorship. Highly disappointing and disgusting if you ask me.

First off, Dr. Palmer's office was disgusting. I am pretty sure a giant rat came out of the exam room, or that could have just been Dr. Palmer, I couldn't be certain.

Second, anyone who patronizes him has blood on their hands. Your insurance money has paid for this vile excuse for a human to illegally hunt and poach big game.

Third, he sexually harassed his receptionist and paid her off in the end. He is probably fondling you too after you've inhaled some of that nitrous.

Fourth, he tortured one of Zimbabwe's beloved lions, then had his minions hide the GPS collar after he beheaded the animal.

Fifth, his daughter owns a dance studio, she should also be reminded constantly how pathetic and cowardly her father is:
American Classic Ballroom
m.yelp.com/biz/american-"


And lastly, Yelp:
Your stock tumbled 26% today. You will not come out a winner in this battle. The internet is far larger than your team of cronies sent out to delete every negative review on this coward.


Tell me, is the level of outrage justified?
My work here is, finally, done.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 4:42:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Tell me, is the level of outrage justified?

Yes. But the reaction is overly zealous. Outrage is nothing more than emotional reaction, usually felt by those whom for whatever reason hold something dear. It should then be channeled through the proper methods to exact "justice", should there be some to exact. In this instance, it seems as though the dentist was flat out set up. Big Game tags are sold in similar fashion (usually) for a specific piece of game, as regulated by the conservation or refuge in question. He believed he was going through the proper channels (hopefully) and for the right reasons (hopefully), but its clear that he was exploited for personal profit. To me, he has become the unwitting fall guy, and should be a seen more as a victim.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 5:28:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2015 4:42:24 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
Tell me, is the level of outrage justified?

Yes. But the reaction is overly zealous. Outrage is nothing more than emotional reaction, usually felt by those whom for whatever reason hold something dear. It should then be channeled through the proper methods to exact "justice", should there be some to exact. In this instance, it seems as though the dentist was flat out set up. Big Game tags are sold in similar fashion (usually) for a specific piece of game, as regulated by the conservation or refuge in question. He believed he was going through the proper channels (hopefully) and for the right reasons (hopefully), but its clear that he was exploited for personal profit. To me, he has become the unwitting fall guy, and should be a seen more as a victim.

I have heard this is the case, but I have no idea what is true.
Can you explain the difference between outrage and reaction like I am a child?
My work here is, finally, done.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 6:39:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2015 5:28:48 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/30/2015 4:42:24 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
Tell me, is the level of outrage justified?

Yes. But the reaction is overly zealous. Outrage is nothing more than emotional reaction, usually felt by those whom for whatever reason hold something dear. It should then be channeled through the proper methods to exact "justice", should there be some to exact. In this instance, it seems as though the dentist was flat out set up. Big Game tags are sold in similar fashion (usually) for a specific piece of game, as regulated by the conservation or refuge in question. He believed he was going through the proper channels (hopefully) and for the right reasons (hopefully), but its clear that he was exploited for personal profit. To me, he has become the unwitting fall guy, and should be a seen more as a victim.

I have heard this is the case, but I have no idea what is true.
Can you explain the difference between outrage and reaction like I am a child?

To me, its action vs inaction. I can be outraged and angered and disappointed and all that run of emotion. I can let the person in question hear my anger and outrage, etc. But the reaction, to me, is the follow up, what tangible repercussion there is. Does my outrage then lead to seek vengeance? Then its no longer about "outrage", its about a pound of flesh. Something that is "outrageous" is something that inspires a burst of emotion, nothing more. But, that is how I see things. Personal opinion on what is what, and all.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 7:15:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It's completely and utterly pathetic, a nation of numb, sheltered morons lashing out because it feels good to do so. It reminds me of the time when Americans reacted with visceral rage because people in the Balkans, seized with rage and grief after their children were mauled to death by police dogs, took out their anger on the dogs of the city. So the noble American vox populi, no doubt much accustomed to blithely thumbing past the various little unadorned stories of oppression and genocide in the Balkans which have been littering the back pages of their newspapers for several decades, sees a picture of a dead dog, and THAT'S ENOUGH! Never mind the unmourned, wholesale slaughter of entire towns (most Americans probably think that 'Srebrenica' is a type of gyro), what will bring the American cavalry to the rescue, trumpets blaring, is a grieving community lashing out at animals. Just as, in this case, our nation bumbled and stupidly giggled it's way through decades of oppression and exploitation in Zimbabwe, only to have its thoroughly ossified moral compass thawed by the botched hunting of a photogenic cat. It's moments like this that make me ashamed to be an American.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Fly
Posts: 2,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 7:44:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2015 7:15:47 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
It's completely and utterly pathetic, a nation of numb, sheltered morons lashing out because it feels good to do so. It reminds me of the time when Americans reacted with visceral rage because people in the Balkans, seized with rage and grief after their children were mauled to death by police dogs, took out their anger on the dogs of the city. So the noble American vox populi, no doubt much accustomed to blithely thumbing past the various little unadorned stories of oppression and genocide in the Balkans which have been littering the back pages of their newspapers for several decades, sees a picture of a dead dog, and THAT'S ENOUGH! Never mind the unmourned, wholesale slaughter of entire towns (most Americans probably think that 'Srebrenica' is a type of gyro), what will bring the American cavalry to the rescue, trumpets blaring, is a grieving community lashing out at animals. Just as, in this case, our nation bumbled and stupidly giggled it's way through decades of oppression and exploitation in Zimbabwe, only to have its thoroughly ossified moral compass thawed by the botched hunting of a photogenic cat. It's moments like this that make me ashamed to be an American.

You think it is an American thing? Or is it a human thing when we are generally comfortable, insulated, and our basic needs are met? Also, keep in mind that we are inundated with continual stories of human suffering around the world. Heck, it is sometimes impossible to tell that we have been a nation at war for over a decade. We are numbed by the fact that it is old news. The stories of pointless animal suffering are quite infrequent by comparison and therefor stand out in our general awareness.

But the sad reality is that various groups of humans and animals are both in a continual state of tragedy and suffering, really.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Such
Posts: 1,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 7:59:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2015 3:40:26 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Is this a big news story where you are?
https://en.wikipedia.org...(lion)
The hunter is local, so it is a big deal here, but, I just don't care. In fact, I am quite embarrassed that there is such outrage. I am not a hunter, and I don't understand the thrill, but this outrage is ridiculous, and frankly, a bit frightening.
http://www.yelp.com...

Some choice entries: (not a single one from in-state, either)
When you go to hell, there will be a shovel. a small shovel, and THIS will be your spoon.
You will only be allowed to shovel the sh!t of those animals you've slain and That will be your only nurishment!
Shame on you!


-----

I love the power of yelp. I bet you really wish you weren't alive right now. Sucks because there will always be someone haunting you, if your own conscience isn't enough.

Hopefully you never have a patient, and that it will stop you from having an office. You don't deserve to help people, since you like hurting animals. Where did your parents go wrong? I feel bad for your kids because now they will always have to deal with your consequences.

Thank god you don't live in wa, someone would have gone after you by now. Sleep tight


-----

GREAT DENTIST. VERY PASSIONATE about inflicting pain towards his patients and wild animals. He said he has no idea Cecil was a local favorite. i mean, i don't blame him. how can anybody know anything at this day and age? I HAD NO CLUE THAT THIS GUY WAS A "LOCAL A-HOLE".

he's definitely a local favor now. so please go visit him and show him where it hurts.

Yelp, you can keep passive aggressively deleting our reviews but we all believe this is something he AT LEAST deserve. stop siding with this a-hole.


-----
And the winner....
So yelp deleted my first, second and third review so I will just keep posting it. Yelp=censorship. Highly disappointing and disgusting if you ask me.

First off, Dr. Palmer's office was disgusting. I am pretty sure a giant rat came out of the exam room, or that could have just been Dr. Palmer, I couldn't be certain.

Second, anyone who patronizes him has blood on their hands. Your insurance money has paid for this vile excuse for a human to illegally hunt and poach big game.

Third, he sexually harassed his receptionist and paid her off in the end. He is probably fondling you too after you've inhaled some of that nitrous.

Fourth, he tortured one of Zimbabwe's beloved lions, then had his minions hide the GPS collar after he beheaded the animal.

Fifth, his daughter owns a dance studio, she should also be reminded constantly how pathetic and cowardly her father is:
American Classic Ballroom
m.yelp.com/biz/american-"


And lastly, Yelp:
Your stock tumbled 26% today. You will not come out a winner in this battle. The internet is far larger than your team of cronies sent out to delete every negative review on this coward.


Tell me, is the level of outrage justified?

Yes. I think it's entirely justified. I hold no life above others, and I think the needless killing of animals is every bit as wrong as the needless killing of people. Humans have a responsibility to maintain a certain level of care when it comes to our ability to hold dominion over the planet and the life on it. I am personally disgusted with people who do not hold a high regard for life.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 8:09:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2015 7:28:09 PM, Mirza wrote:
Let's hear Fox News had to say about a similar case last year.

Why would I care what Fox News has to say about a similar case, or even this one?
My work here is, finally, done.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 8:24:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2015 8:09:19 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Why would I care what Fox News has to say about a similar case, or even this one?
Calm down, deranged fella.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 8:27:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2015 8:24:37 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 7/30/2015 8:09:19 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Why would I care what Fox News has to say about a similar case, or even this one?
Calm down, deranged fella.

Well, I am curious why someone who has a thread bemoaning the lack of intelligent conversation comes into this thread stating a non-sequitur and offering nothing of value, except what I can only assume is another insult at Americans and/or Republicans.
My work here is, finally, done.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 8:31:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2015 8:27:07 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Well, I am curious why someone who has a thread bemoaning the lack of intelligent conversation comes into this thread stating a non-sequitur and offering nothing of value, except what I can only assume is another insult at Americans and/or Republicans.
I just gave another example of someone going nuts over the death of an animal. It's interesting, isn't it? :(
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 8:36:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2015 8:31:36 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 7/30/2015 8:27:07 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Well, I am curious why someone who has a thread bemoaning the lack of intelligent conversation comes into this thread stating a non-sequitur and offering nothing of value, except what I can only assume is another insult at Americans and/or Republicans.
I just gave another example of someone going nuts over the death of an animal. It's interesting, isn't it? :(

I find it disturbing, although I did not watch the video. To come unhinged about something like this where you are giving death threats and call to harass family members about it.
Are people talking about this where you are? What is their take?
My work here is, finally, done.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 8:39:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2015 8:36:27 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I find it disturbing, although I did not watch the video. To come unhinged about something like this where you are giving death threats and call to harass family members about it.
Are people talking about this where you are? What is their take?
Saw some people liking news about this on FB, otherwise nothing like over at your place as far as I'm aware.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 8:51:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2015 7:44:55 PM, Fly wrote:
At 7/30/2015 7:15:47 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
It's completely and utterly pathetic, a nation of numb, sheltered morons lashing out because it feels good to do so. It reminds me of the time when Americans reacted with visceral rage because people in the Balkans, seized with rage and grief after their children were mauled to death by police dogs, took out their anger on the dogs of the city. So the noble American vox populi, no doubt much accustomed to blithely thumbing past the various little unadorned stories of oppression and genocide in the Balkans which have been littering the back pages of their newspapers for several decades, sees a picture of a dead dog, and THAT'S ENOUGH! Never mind the unmourned, wholesale slaughter of entire towns (most Americans probably think that 'Srebrenica' is a type of gyro), what will bring the American cavalry to the rescue, trumpets blaring, is a grieving community lashing out at animals. Just as, in this case, our nation bumbled and stupidly giggled it's way through decades of oppression and exploitation in Zimbabwe, only to have its thoroughly ossified moral compass thawed by the botched hunting of a photogenic cat. It's moments like this that make me ashamed to be an American.

You think it is an American thing? Or is it a human thing when we are generally comfortable, insulated, and our basic needs are met? Also, keep in mind that we are inundated with continual stories of human suffering around the world. Heck, it is sometimes impossible to tell that we have been a nation at war for over a decade. We are numbed by the fact that it is old news. The stories of pointless animal suffering are quite infrequent by comparison and therefor stand out in our general awareness.

But the sad reality is that various groups of humans and animals are both in a continual state of tragedy and suffering, really.

Both. Americans are absurdly sheltered from both the violence and suffering that many humans face, and from the violence and suffering inherent in the natural world, which leads them to become utterly deluded about hings like this. It is because they are sheltered that they are like this, but that sheltering is a part of American culture now.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
j50wells
Posts: 345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 2:52:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I agree. I watch these zombie movies sometimes. These weird, demonic beings start chasing people around, trying to kill them. I imagine that some of these people did something wrong the day before. Maybe they slapped their kid, or flipped a cop off. But do they deserve these zombies?
That's where were headed here. I believe that humanity is gone. I don't see how it is that we can continue to live together in peace and unity when people are being threatened for killing an animal, or killing a criminal in self-defense. I start to wonder if these people are becoming the evil, vicious criminals.
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,143
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 6:35:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The outrage is ridiculous. I guarantee every single person moaning about this has caused the deaths of thousands of animals over the course of their life. Humans kill other animals, period. Other animals kill other animals, and also humans if they get the chance. It's what nature is and always will be. We simply happen to be the best at it because we are the smartest. There's no shame in that.
ironslippers
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 10:50:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2015 3:40:26 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Tell me, is the level of outrage justified?
I beleave YES though in the scope of problems facing the world today NO and now the uncontrolled mob is going to stone to death a dentist who had no clue prior to the outrage of the unbridled anger he was to release upon himself.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 2:39:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Anyone, especially an American or European, who goes to Africa to shoot lions is on constructive notice that they risk killing a protected, endangered creature.

I have no problem with people picketing the dentist's business establishment, publicly castigating him, shaming him, and generally making his life miserable.

Why? Every wealthy Westerner who contemplates going on safari to hunt big game will now think twice before they go.

"Do I want to wind up like that guy? Nope. I'll go to Fiji instead."

The public outcry produces a net good. Animals that are endangered don't die.

But beyond that, the dentist is a fvcking idiot. He should have thought to himself... if I got caught doing this... how might it affect my business? How might people think about me if they came to be aware of my undertaking to shoot lions?

Stupid fvck.
Tsar of DDO
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 3:00:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2015 3:40:26 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Is this a big news story where you are?
https://en.wikipedia.org...(lion)
The hunter is local, so it is a big deal here, but, I just don't care. In fact, I am quite embarrassed that there is such outrage. I am not a hunter, and I don't understand the thrill, but this outrage is ridiculous, and frankly, a bit frightening.
http://www.yelp.com...

I don't know if someone already pointed this out, but I'm agreement with you.

Many people in Zimbabwe are somewhat amused at the overreaction of Cecil the Lion's death.

While I personally disagree with sports hunting and don't particularly like the fact that the lion was shot for sport, I do believe the personal attacks on the dentist are over-the-top and uncalled for.
slo1
Posts: 4,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 1:20:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/2/2015 6:35:05 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
The outrage is ridiculous. I guarantee every single person moaning about this has caused the deaths of thousands of animals over the course of their life. Humans kill other animals, period. Other animals kill other animals, and also humans if they get the chance. It's what nature is and always will be. We simply happen to be the best at it because we are the smartest. There's no shame in that.

What this guy did is not simply an issue of killing animals. First and foremost hunting deer or other popular sports game is not the same thing as hunting lions. Secondly the nations which have lions to hunt are poor, thus it is very prone to corruption. Anyone who is willing to spend $50,000 to hunt a lion should fully research the issues of the nation they are going to, engage the department of natural resources who regulates lion hunts and validate anyone they hire holds the proper permits and credentials.

I happen to think the idea of killing animals for non food reasons such as hanging a head in a den is a sickness. I find much more value seeing animals in the wild than on my wall.
slo1
Posts: 4,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 1:27:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/3/2015 3:00:04 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 7/30/2015 3:40:26 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Is this a big news story where you are?
https://en.wikipedia.org...(lion)
The hunter is local, so it is a big deal here, but, I just don't care. In fact, I am quite embarrassed that there is such outrage. I am not a hunter, and I don't understand the thrill, but this outrage is ridiculous, and frankly, a bit frightening.
http://www.yelp.com...

I don't know if someone already pointed this out, but I'm agreement with you.

Many people in Zimbabwe are somewhat amused at the overreaction of Cecil the Lion's death.

While I personally disagree with sports hunting and don't particularly like the fact that the lion was shot for sport, I do believe the personal attacks on the dentist are over-the-top and uncalled for.

I know people from Kenya who would not walk from the village without protection from lions, so it is not unsurprising that many folks in Zimbabwe are not emotional about lions. That is, however, not the issue.

The issue is that this man hired people who were not fully legal to hunt lions. Not only that, he didn't even mortally wound the lion with the bolt from his cross bow. When you are more concerned with shooting it in a spot that doesn't hinder stuffing the lion versus killing it, you are more prone to not kill it. He tracked it for 2 days and shot it with a gun to kill it.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 4:22:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Feeling outraged at the killing of an animal is not inherently a bad thing, even if those who felt outraged made little effort to read the whole story. It is a manifestation of the principle of benevolence, which is stemmed from the feeling of commiseration, and the principle of righteousness, which is stemmed partially from the hatred of those who do wrong. These two principles are essential to humans and to human nature; if anything, that these principles are realised in people's emotions is a *good* thing.

What's bad about the outrage is that it violated the doctrine of the mean. '[...] While there are no stirrings of pleasure, anger, sorrow, or joy, the mind may be said to be in the state of Equilibrium. When those feelings have been stirred, and they act in their due degree, there ensues what may be called the state of Harmony. This Equilibrium is the great root from which grow all the human actings in the world, and this Harmony is the universal path which they all should pursue...' (Doctrine of the Mean 1)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 1:15:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/3/2015 1:27:47 PM, slo1 wrote:

The issue is that this man hired people who were not fully legal to hunt lions. Not only that, he didn't even mortally wound the lion with the bolt from his cross bow. When you are more concerned with shooting it in a spot that doesn't hinder stuffing the lion versus killing it, you are more prone to not kill it. He tracked it for 2 days and shot it with a gun to kill it.

That is standard practice for many lion hunts, to my current knowledge.

I do not think the man himself did anything illegal to his own knowledge, either. The one in the wrong were the people he hired.

This is all, of course, legally speaking. Moral issues are another matter.
slo1
Posts: 4,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 12:26:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/4/2015 1:15:57 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 8/3/2015 1:27:47 PM, slo1 wrote:

The issue is that this man hired people who were not fully legal to hunt lions. Not only that, he didn't even mortally wound the lion with the bolt from his cross bow. When you are more concerned with shooting it in a spot that doesn't hinder stuffing the lion versus killing it, you are more prone to not kill it. He tracked it for 2 days and shot it with a gun to kill it.

That is standard practice for many lion hunts, to my current knowledge.

I do not think the man himself did anything illegal to his own knowledge, either. The one in the wrong were the people he hired.

This is all, of course, legally speaking. Moral issues are another matter.

Most lion hunting areas such as South Africa require a gun so you have good odds of dropping it immediately. Injured lions are dangerous. Bows including crossbow are designed to bleed the game to death and is at much greater odds to require days of tracking a shot animal. To your point it may be legal in countries that hunt lions with bow, but it does not mean it is ethical.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 1:21:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/4/2015 12:26:00 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 8/4/2015 1:15:57 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 8/3/2015 1:27:47 PM, slo1 wrote:

The issue is that this man hired people who were not fully legal to hunt lions. Not only that, he didn't even mortally wound the lion with the bolt from his cross bow. When you are more concerned with shooting it in a spot that doesn't hinder stuffing the lion versus killing it, you are more prone to not kill it. He tracked it for 2 days and shot it with a gun to kill it.

That is standard practice for many lion hunts, to my current knowledge.

I do not think the man himself did anything illegal to his own knowledge, either. The one in the wrong were the people he hired.

This is all, of course, legally speaking. Moral issues are another matter.

Most lion hunting areas such as South Africa require a gun so you have good odds of dropping it immediately. Injured lions are dangerous. Bows including crossbow are designed to bleed the game to death and is at much greater odds to require days of tracking a shot animal. To your point it may be legal in countries that hunt lions with bow, but it does not mean it is ethical.

The whole thing is dangerous. That's the point.
August_Burns_Red
Posts: 1,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 3:24:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2015 3:40:26 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Is this a big news story where you are?
https://en.wikipedia.org...(lion)
The hunter is local, so it is a big deal here, but, I just don't care. In fact, I am quite embarrassed that there is such outrage. I am not a hunter, and I don't understand the thrill, but this outrage is ridiculous, and frankly, a bit frightening.
http://www.yelp.com...

Some choice entries: (not a single one from in-state, either)
When you go to hell, there will be a shovel. a small shovel, and THIS will be your spoon.
You will only be allowed to shovel the sh!t of those animals you've slain and That will be your only nurishment!
Shame on you!


-----

I love the power of yelp. I bet you really wish you weren't alive right now. Sucks because there will always be someone haunting you, if your own conscience isn't enough.

Hopefully you never have a patient, and that it will stop you from having an office. You don't deserve to help people, since you like hurting animals. Where did your parents go wrong? I feel bad for your kids because now they will always have to deal with your consequences.

Thank god you don't live in wa, someone would have gone after you by now. Sleep tight


-----

GREAT DENTIST. VERY PASSIONATE about inflicting pain towards his patients and wild animals. He said he has no idea Cecil was a local favorite. i mean, i don't blame him. how can anybody know anything at this day and age? I HAD NO CLUE THAT THIS GUY WAS A "LOCAL A-HOLE".

he's definitely a local favor now. so please go visit him and show him where it hurts.

Yelp, you can keep passive aggressively deleting our reviews but we all believe this is something he AT LEAST deserve. stop siding with this a-hole.


-----
And the winner....
So yelp deleted my first, second and third review so I will just keep posting it. Yelp=censorship. Highly disappointing and disgusting if you ask me.

First off, Dr. Palmer's office was disgusting. I am pretty sure a giant rat came out of the exam room, or that could have just been Dr. Palmer, I couldn't be certain.

Second, anyone who patronizes him has blood on their hands. Your insurance money has paid for this vile excuse for a human to illegally hunt and poach big game.

Third, he sexually harassed his receptionist and paid her off in the end. He is probably fondling you too after you've inhaled some of that nitrous.

Fourth, he tortured one of Zimbabwe's beloved lions, then had his minions hide the GPS collar after he beheaded the animal.

Fifth, his daughter owns a dance studio, she should also be reminded constantly how pathetic and cowardly her father is:
American Classic Ballroom
m.yelp.com/biz/american-"


And lastly, Yelp:
Your stock tumbled 26% today. You will not come out a winner in this battle. The internet is far larger than your team of cronies sent out to delete every negative review on this coward.


Tell me, is the level of outrage justified?

Meh, in the Book of Genesis my Bible tells me that God gave us dominion over all the animals and the fish of the Sea, the Fowl in the Air. So that means we can do what we want. Because everything in Genesis is True!!
God Bless. RIP Cecil.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
August_Burns_Red
Posts: 1,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 3:26:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/3/2015 2:39:12 AM, YYW wrote:
Anyone, especially an American or European, who goes to Africa to shoot lions is on constructive notice that they risk killing a protected, endangered creature.

I have no problem with people picketing the dentist's business establishment, publicly castigating him, shaming him, and generally making his life miserable.

Why? Every wealthy Westerner who contemplates going on safari to hunt big game will now think twice before they go.

"Do I want to wind up like that guy? Nope. I'll go to Fiji instead."

The public outcry produces a net good. Animals that are endangered don't die.

But beyond that, the dentist is a fvcking idiot. He should have thought to himself... if I got caught doing this... how might it affect my business? How might people think about me if they came to be aware of my undertaking to shoot lions?

Stupid fvck.

The Dentist did nothing wrong. God gave us dominion over all the animals of the Earth. Says so right in Genesis, bro. Are you calling my God a liar? Better not. it will anger me.
GodBless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 4:00:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 3:26:59 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/3/2015 2:39:12 AM, YYW wrote:
Anyone, especially an American or European, who goes to Africa to shoot lions is on constructive notice that they risk killing a protected, endangered creature.

I have no problem with people picketing the dentist's business establishment, publicly castigating him, shaming him, and generally making his life miserable.

Why? Every wealthy Westerner who contemplates going on safari to hunt big game will now think twice before they go.

"Do I want to wind up like that guy? Nope. I'll go to Fiji instead."

The public outcry produces a net good. Animals that are endangered don't die.

But beyond that, the dentist is a fvcking idiot. He should have thought to himself... if I got caught doing this... how might it affect my business? How might people think about me if they came to be aware of my undertaking to shoot lions?

Stupid fvck.

The Dentist did nothing wrong. God gave us dominion over all the animals of the Earth. Says so right in Genesis, bro. Are you calling my God a liar? Better not. it will anger me.
GodBless.

With great power comes great responsibility. Just because you are able to shoot a lion does not mean that you are justified in shooting a lion. Grow up.
Tsar of DDO
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 5:03:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/3/2015 1:20:51 PM, slo1 wrote:
What this guy did is not simply an issue of killing animals.
No, but *this* level of outrage is laughable.