Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Why Do American Singers Get...

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 4:42:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
worldwide recognition, but singers from other countries don't get recognition in America? Not that I have a problem with that as I don't really listen to foreign music, I'm just curious.

It seems that the big artists here get mass coverage and popularity in both the U.S. and other countries, but not the other way around.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 4:45:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/28/2010 4:42:10 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
worldwide recognition, but singers from other countries don't get recognition in America? Not that I have a problem with that as I don't really listen to foreign music, I'm just curious.

It seems that the big artists here get mass coverage and popularity in both the U.S. and other countries, but not the other way around.

Many people, especially in America, find meaning in the lyrics and vocals. Indeed there has been a heavy emphasis on lyrics and vocals in recent music history. Naturally people prefer to listen to English which they can understand and be better able to relate to the song. Singers who sing in foreign languages simply don't enjoy the same benefit. It's a major reason why so many foreign singers sing in English.

I mean Geo, Megadeth and Metallica would be much less appeasing if Mustaine and Hetfield sang in Russian.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 4:47:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/28/2010 4:42:10 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
worldwide recognition, but singers from other countries don't get recognition in America? Not that I have a problem with that as I don't really listen to foreign music, I'm just curious.

It seems that the big artists here get mass coverage and popularity in both the U.S. and other countries, but not the other way around.

It's similar to the fact that many American-made movies are tremendously popular globally, but not many foreign films are popular here.

Simply, we generally don't have the need or heightened interest to go outside the US for talent when we have plenty of singing ability here.

Most of the major entertainment industries are located here in America. We have enough artists, capital, resources, etc. to satiate ourselves, while many other countries do not.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 5:01:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/28/2010 4:45:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Many people, especially in America, find meaning in the lyrics and vocals. Indeed there has been a heavy emphasis on lyrics and vocals in recent music history. Naturally people prefer to listen to English which they can understand and be better able to relate to the song. Singers who sing in foreign languages simply don't enjoy the same benefit. It's a major reason why so many foreign singers sing in English.

Lol, that's basically why I don't listen to foreign music.

But this gets down to the real point; why don't foreigners care that our artists are singing in English and listen and enjoy them the same, but Americans DO care if the foreign artist sings in a language we don't understand?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 5:03:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/28/2010 5:01:42 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/28/2010 4:45:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Many people, especially in America, find meaning in the lyrics and vocals. Indeed there has been a heavy emphasis on lyrics and vocals in recent music history. Naturally people prefer to listen to English which they can understand and be better able to relate to the song. Singers who sing in foreign languages simply don't enjoy the same benefit. It's a major reason why so many foreign singers sing in English.

Lol, that's basically why I don't listen to foreign music.

But this gets down to the real point; why don't foreigners care that our artists are singing in English and listen and enjoy them the same, but Americans DO care if the foreign artist sings in a language we don't understand?

Because American and British bands have dominated the music scene for decades. Foreign countries are more open to foreign culture, America isn't because it hasn't had the need to.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 5:12:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
One of the only genres in which foreign artists are popular in America, I'd say, is techno or dance music... but even then the other artists are generally just white European.
President of DDO
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 5:16:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Meh...America has the popular entertainment market covered. We can advertise and promote like none other, that's why we get crap like Justin Bieber and the Jonas Brothers shoved in our faces.

In the past, most of the good stuff has been from Britain. Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, Eric Clapton and his various bands...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 5:20:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/28/2010 5:12:30 PM, theLwerd wrote:
One of the only genres in which foreign artists are popular in America, I'd say, is techno or dance music... but even then the other artists are generally just white European.

I rarely hear of North American techno and dance artists.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 5:24:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/28/2010 5:01:42 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/28/2010 4:45:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Many people, especially in America, find meaning in the lyrics and vocals. Indeed there has been a heavy emphasis on lyrics and vocals in recent music history. Naturally people prefer to listen to English which they can understand and be better able to relate to the song. Singers who sing in foreign languages simply don't enjoy the same benefit. It's a major reason why so many foreign singers sing in English.

Lol, that's basically why I don't listen to foreign music.

But this gets down to the real point; why don't foreigners care that our artists are singing in English and listen and enjoy them the same, but Americans DO care if the foreign artist sings in a language we don't understand?

Generally speaking many foreigners are far more proficient in English than Americans are in non-English languages.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 6:27:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/28/2010 5:16:38 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Meh...America has the popular entertainment market covered. We can advertise and promote like none other, that's why we get crap like Justin Bieber and the Jonas Brothers shoved in our faces.

In the past, most of the good stuff has been from Britain. Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, Eric Clapton and his various bands...

Ok, now that I think of it, I shouldn't say American artists, because it's really English speaking artists. All the big English speaking artists are globally known, but the ones who don't speak English aren't.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 6:44:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/28/2010 6:40:08 PM, Loserboi wrote:
A Majority of my high school enjoys korean music and can name like 10 korean bands, or singers

I don't deny that many people like foreign artists, I'm just pointing out that American/English speaking artists like Metallica, Bob Dylan, and Snoop Dogg are household names that the whole world knows, but there are no foreign artists that have become household names, otherwise I would know of some.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 6:46:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/28/2010 6:44:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/28/2010 6:40:08 PM, Loserboi wrote:
A Majority of my high school enjoys korean music and can name like 10 korean bands, or singers

I don't deny that many people like foreign artists, I'm just pointing out that American/English speaking artists like Metallica, Bob Dylan, and Snoop Dogg are household names that the whole world knows, but there are no foreign artists that have become household names, otherwise I would know of some.

Enrique Iglesias, Shakira do they count
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 6:48:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I found most groups are mostly canadian (that I listen too) but maybe they count with the america thing.

I think its because thats whats close to us and that we understand, we have diverse life here in america many ethnical and religious backgrounds, and most countries are pretty much the same, so the want to have foreign ideas may be stronger in other places where its not as easy to get just from going to school.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 6:50:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/28/2010 6:46:23 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 8/28/2010 6:44:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/28/2010 6:40:08 PM, Loserboi wrote:
A Majority of my high school enjoys korean music and can name like 10 korean bands, or singers

I don't deny that many people like foreign artists, I'm just pointing out that American/English speaking artists like Metallica, Bob Dylan, and Snoop Dogg are household names that the whole world knows, but there are no foreign artists that have become household names, otherwise I would know of some.

Enrique Iglesias, Shakira do they count

Shakira is pretty good at english tho and most people I know haven't heard her sing in spanish.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2010 4:49:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/28/2010 5:24:21 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Generally speaking many foreigners are far more proficient in English than Americans are in non-English languages.

I think this is mostly why.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 11:07:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/28/2010 6:46:23 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 8/28/2010 6:44:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/28/2010 6:40:08 PM, Loserboi wrote:
A Majority of my high school enjoys korean music and can name like 10 korean bands, or singers

I don't deny that many people like foreign artists, I'm just pointing out that American/English speaking artists like Metallica, Bob Dylan, and Snoop Dogg are household names that the whole world knows, but there are no foreign artists that have become household names, otherwise I would know of some.

Enrique Iglesias, Shakira do they count

But they sing English, not Spanish
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 11:14:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 11:07:43 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/28/2010 6:46:23 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 8/28/2010 6:44:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/28/2010 6:40:08 PM, Loserboi wrote:
A Majority of my high school enjoys korean music and can name like 10 korean bands, or singers

I don't deny that many people like foreign artists, I'm just pointing out that American/English speaking artists like Metallica, Bob Dylan, and Snoop Dogg are household names that the whole world knows, but there are no foreign artists that have become household names, otherwise I would know of some.

Enrique Iglesias, Shakira do they count

But they sing English, not Spanish

Sometimes
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 11:25:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 11:14:10 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/30/2010 11:07:43 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/28/2010 6:46:23 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 8/28/2010 6:44:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/28/2010 6:40:08 PM, Loserboi wrote:
A Majority of my high school enjoys korean music and can name like 10 korean bands, or singers

I don't deny that many people like foreign artists, I'm just pointing out that American/English speaking artists like Metallica, Bob Dylan, and Snoop Dogg are household names that the whole world knows, but there are no foreign artists that have become household names, otherwise I would know of some.

Enrique Iglesias, Shakira do they count

But they sing English, not Spanish

Sometimes

Eh most of the time. Her most successful songs are in English, which is what matters.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 11:37:13 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 11:25:34 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Eh most of the time. Her most successful songs are in English, which is what matters.

Yeah I guess thats true. I like vocaloids, but I know thats uncommon.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
LeafRod
Posts: 1,548
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 4:04:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/28/2010 5:16:38 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Meh...America has the popular entertainment market covered. We can advertise and promote like none other, that's why we get crap like Justin Bieber and the Jonas Brothers shoved in our faces.

Justin Bieber is awesome.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 4:22:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 4:04:09 PM, LeafRod wrote:
At 8/28/2010 5:16:38 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Meh...America has the popular entertainment market covered. We can advertise and promote like none other, that's why we get crap like Justin Bieber and the Jonas Brothers shoved in our faces.

Justin Bieber is awesome.

You just lost alot of respect points for that statement. :P
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 4:28:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 4:04:09 PM, LeafRod wrote:
At 8/28/2010 5:16:38 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Meh...America has the popular entertainment market covered. We can advertise and promote like none other, that's why we get crap like Justin Bieber and the Jonas Brothers shoved in our faces.

Justin Bieber is awesome.

Justin Beiber is 1/2 Canadians I can't stand.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave