Jump to topic:

Why Do American Singers Get...

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 4:42:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
worldwide recognition, but singers from other countries don't get recognition in America? Not that I have a problem with that as I don't really listen to foreign music, I'm just curious.

It seems that the big artists here get mass coverage and popularity in both the U.S. and other countries, but not the other way around.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 4:45:41 PM
At 8/28/2010 4:42:10 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
worldwide recognition, but singers from other countries don't get recognition in America? Not that I have a problem with that as I don't really listen to foreign music, I'm just curious.

It seems that the big artists here get mass coverage and popularity in both the U.S. and other countries, but not the other way around.

Many people, especially in America, find meaning in the lyrics and vocals. Indeed there has been a heavy emphasis on lyrics and vocals in recent music history. Naturally people prefer to listen to English which they can understand and be better able to relate to the song. Singers who sing in foreign languages simply don't enjoy the same benefit. It's a major reason why so many foreign singers sing in English.

I mean Geo, Megadeth and Metallica would be much less appeasing if Mustaine and Hetfield sang in Russian.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 4:47:40 PM
At 8/28/2010 4:42:10 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

It's similar to the fact that many American-made movies are tremendously popular globally, but not many foreign films are popular here.

Simply, we generally don't have the need or heightened interest to go outside the US for talent when we have plenty of singing ability here.

Most of the major entertainment industries are located here in America. We have enough artists, capital, resources, etc. to satiate ourselves, while many other countries do not.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 5:01:42 PM
At 8/28/2010 4:45:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Many people, especially in America, find meaning in the lyrics and vocals. Indeed there has been a heavy emphasis on lyrics and vocals in recent music history. Naturally people prefer to listen to English which they can understand and be better able to relate to the song. Singers who sing in foreign languages simply don't enjoy the same benefit. It's a major reason why so many foreign singers sing in English.

Lol, that's basically why I don't listen to foreign music.

But this gets down to the real point; why don't foreigners care that our artists are singing in English and listen and enjoy them the same, but Americans DO care if the foreign artist sings in a language we don't understand?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 5:03:08 PM
At 8/28/2010 5:01:42 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

But this gets down to the real point; why don't foreigners care that our artists are singing in English and listen and enjoy them the same, but Americans DO care if the foreign artist sings in a language we don't understand?

Because American and British bands have dominated the music scene for decades. Foreign countries are more open to foreign culture, America isn't because it hasn't had the need to.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 5:12:30 PM
One of the only genres in which foreign artists are popular in America, I'd say, is techno or dance music... but even then the other artists are generally just white European.
President of DDO
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 5:16:38 PM
Meh...America has the popular entertainment market covered. We can advertise and promote like none other, that's why we get crap like Justin Bieber and the Jonas Brothers shoved in our faces.

In the past, most of the good stuff has been from Britain. Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, Eric Clapton and his various bands...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 5:20:08 PM
At 8/28/2010 5:12:30 PM, theLwerd wrote:
One of the only genres in which foreign artists are popular in America, I'd say, is techno or dance music... but even then the other artists are generally just white European.

I rarely hear of North American techno and dance artists.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 5:24:21 PM
At 8/28/2010 5:01:42 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Generally speaking many foreigners are far more proficient in English than Americans are in non-English languages.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 6:27:04 PM
At 8/28/2010 5:16:38 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Meh...America has the popular entertainment market covered. We can advertise and promote like none other, that's why we get crap like Justin Bieber and the Jonas Brothers shoved in our faces.

In the past, most of the good stuff has been from Britain. Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, Eric Clapton and his various bands...

Ok, now that I think of it, I shouldn't say American artists, because it's really English speaking artists. All the big English speaking artists are globally known, but the ones who don't speak English aren't.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 6:44:50 PM
At 8/28/2010 6:40:08 PM, Loserboi wrote:
A Majority of my high school enjoys korean music and can name like 10 korean bands, or singers

I don't deny that many people like foreign artists, I'm just pointing out that American/English speaking artists like Metallica, Bob Dylan, and Snoop Dogg are household names that the whole world knows, but there are no foreign artists that have become household names, otherwise I would know of some.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 6:46:23 PM
At 8/28/2010 6:44:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
A Majority of my high school enjoys korean music and can name like 10 korean bands, or singers

I don't deny that many people like foreign artists, I'm just pointing out that American/English speaking artists like Metallica, Bob Dylan, and Snoop Dogg are household names that the whole world knows, but there are no foreign artists that have become household names, otherwise I would know of some.

Enrique Iglesias, Shakira do they count
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 6:48:20 PM
I found most groups are mostly canadian (that I listen too) but maybe they count with the america thing.

I think its because thats whats close to us and that we understand, we have diverse life here in america many ethnical and religious backgrounds, and most countries are pretty much the same, so the want to have foreign ideas may be stronger in other places where its not as easy to get just from going to school.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 6:50:38 PM
At 8/28/2010 6:46:23 PM, Loserboi wrote:

Shakira is pretty good at english tho and most people I know haven't heard her sing in spanish.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2010 4:49:23 PM
At 8/28/2010 5:24:21 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Generally speaking many foreigners are far more proficient in English than Americans are in non-English languages.

I think this is mostly why.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 11:07:43 AM

But they sing English, not Spanish
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 11:14:10 AM
At 8/30/2010 11:07:43 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Sometimes
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 11:25:34 AM
At 8/30/2010 11:14:10 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/30/2010 11:07:43 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Sometimes

Eh most of the time. Her most successful songs are in English, which is what matters.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 11:37:13 AM
At 8/30/2010 11:25:34 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Eh most of the time. Her most successful songs are in English, which is what matters.

Yeah I guess thats true. I like vocaloids, but I know thats uncommon.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 4:04:09 PM

Justin Bieber is awesome.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 4:22:27 PM
At 8/30/2010 4:04:09 PM, LeafRod wrote:

You just lost alot of respect points for that statement. :P
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 4:28:34 PM
At 8/30/2010 4:04:09 PM, LeafRod wrote:

Justin Beiber is 1/2 Canadians I can't stand.